• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SPOILER FREE: Nintendo Direct Thread 2/17/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
FDC looks to be releasing at a premium.

SKX31

Smash Master
Wunderwaft pointed this out in the competitive impressions thread:

WTF is this move?

It looks like Mythra has become a DBZ character.

Considering that Namco costumes seemed to be tossed in whenever, you could be very right.
In b4 Lloyd and Yuri both get Costume'd.

Fans of other Namco IP start looking around confused.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

Missing since 2017: Blond intergalactic bounty hunter, often wears red and orange armor, answers to the name of Samus Aran.

Also missing since 2017: Tall, voluptuous raven haired witch, answers to the names Bayonetta and Cereza, likes to fight angels, shop,and scold bad little boys.

It is wildly believe that Nintendo has held these two ladies captive and has no intentions of ever setting them free.

Please help the spread the word of their evil actions.
I'm still wondering where the 2D Metroid that got leaked with Origami King is.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
As redundant as it’ll sound, add me to the list of people majorly underwhelmed by the latest character reveal.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I also think a promotional character for a 2021 release isn't happening this time.

Well, unless they add Waluigi to celebrate Mario Golf, I guess.

D

Deleted member

My favorite part of the Direct is when they deconfirmed the two most prominent 'leaks' we still had going for smash. (Though I did actually like the Crash, Reimu, KOS-MOS one for the possibility of KOS-MOS).

Also...I know supporters of her won't agree, but this probably is the final nail in the coffin for KOS-MOS too.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
After the relative disappointment of FP1, this one has been much better.

Min Min admittedly didn't do anything for me, Steve was incredible once I saw his moveset, Sephiroth was an amazing surprise and now my favourite Switch game gets a rep.

toonito

Smash Ace
since the dlc thread's locked

cool choice congrats to the pyra/mythra fans

spirits don't disconfirm (we knew this from Min Min) Mii costumes do and tbh i think ATs do as well

rex got bodied lol him and spring man are drinking their sorrows lol

i wonder if this fighters pass is a theme of revisiting established franchises

both ARMS and XC2 got in after seemingly missing a cut

FF7 was revisited after many people lamented its lack of content

according to Minecraft devs negotiations for Steve occurred back in 2015 finally coming to fruition 5 years later

even though current fighters don't dictate future fighters maybe we should look at franchises that can be expanded upon

if anything i feel like the chances of a Gen 8 rep went up slightly it is definitely my most likely 1st party rep remaining

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My favorite part of the Direct is when they deconfirmed the two most prominent 'leaks' we still had going for smash. (Though I did actually like the Crash, Reimu, KOS-MOS one for the possibility of KOS-MOS).

Also...I know supporters of her won't agree, but this probably is the final nail in the coffin for KOS-MOS too.
Doesn't really do anything for Tales of Chun Li tbh.

What WOULD kill that one is if the Lloyd costume returns with these 2.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That was a serviceable direct, nothing too insane and a fair bit of fluff, but it had some highlights. Excited for Skyward Sword HD. And Splatoon 3 was an interesting surprise.

As for Pyra and Mythra:
neutral.jpg

I always felt like Xenoblade kinda deserved Another rep just for how big it was. Would've prefered Elma, but Pyra and Mythra are still fair choices. Tbh, I wasn't too keen on Rex himself so this is a still slightly more preferable outcome in that regard. Nevertheless, I've already been spoiled with Ultimate newcomers, so I'm not really caring who gets added at this point. Anyways, congratulations to all Pyra and Mythra supporters as well as Xenoblade 2 fans.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
For those interested:
Stubbs- 3.8GB
PvZ Neighborville- 6.3GB
SaGa Frontier- 3.4GB
Famicom Detective Club- 1.9GB
Miitopia- 3.1GB
DC Super Hero Girls- 2.4GB
Mario Golf- 4.8GB
SSHD- 7.5GB

The spotlight for DC Super Hero Girls is most likely because Nintendo is publishing it. It's even one of the games you can get with their game voucher promotion.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Reception seems lukewarm for pyra/mythra.

I am a mix of underwhelmed and indifferent.

Only character of note for me in this pass was Sephiroth.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I am now getting more and more curious about how much control Sakurai has.

Because I don't see them going "Put Pyra/Mythra in without Rex".
I mean, if we take his words at complete face value with no PR speak attached to them, he more or less said that Nintendo approached him to put Minecraft in, with him having the option to say no, right?

I think Sakurai has way more power than it seems.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm really happy with Pyra and Mythra being added to Smash. Finally Xenoblade gets the treatment it deserves. Can't wait to try them out. Also, I think a new Pokemon rep is off the radar for this game. With Pokemon's 25th anniversary being this month, now would have been the perfect opportunity to reveal a new character from that franchise. I honestly can't say I'm too disappointed about this since they would have most likely picked someone uninspired like Cinderace anyways.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
j2mmo10kvo8z.jpg

As said in the social......I am very whelmed and confused right now.

Like - why

I get XC2 in general but like

Why just Pyra

Min Min still made some sense but this feels like a "ha gotcha!" for the sake of it

I'll admit that I woulda been whelmed at a Xenoblade 2 character anyway, but this really has me scratching my head, man. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe sleepin' over it will help, I dunno. The Direct in general gets the Satisfying (TM) badge from me btw

Also.....the Gru moveset lays dormant for another day.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
You guys just jelly Pokemon Trainer lost it's unique gimmick /s
Nah it's the return of old school Zelda / Shiek, just with swords and extra DBZ. Edit: Whoops, apparently the two share some normals.

I'm just hoping that they're rather well-balanced compared to each other (I have reason to believe they will be, as PT was adjusted to be well-balanced) but there's the slight chance that one of the forms will be much more powerful / generally consistent than the other.

I mean, if we take his words at complete face value with no PR speak attached to them, he more or less said that Nintendo approached him to put Minecraft in, with him having the option to say no, right?

I think Sakurai has way more power than it seems.
At least when it comes to the design - Furukawa, Sakurai's boss, was a marketing guy before becoming Nintendo's President. Sakurai would know how to implement stuff and thus have quite a bit of power from that.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
- Not a huge Xenoblade fan, but I'm glad fans of the series finally get another character. I myself would have liked Elma cause I like her design, but another Stance change character is cool, I'm guessing Rex was gutted out the moveset cause it would have been more annoying to have them both out. Don't know for sure. It'll be interesting to see why the devs went in that direction.

• Splatoon fans are eating.
  • So are Monster Hunter fans. Can I play as that Strider looking guy, or dress like him?
  • Ninja Gaiden getting a collection is pretty cool. I want more and more series to get re-releases like this since finding used copies can be a ***** and a half.
  • Stubbs the Zombie of all games getting a re-release is the DANK **** I like to see.
  • No More Heroes 3 looks cool.
  • Mario Golf looks cool, started out a little basic, but the crazy race mode and Wario's drip is nice. Also Daisy's getting that tan back.
  • Too many JRPGs I don't care about. Give a brother some MMBN content.
  • Many people channeled their inner Michael Jordan and collectively said "...**** Them Kids!" When the DC Super Girls thingajig popped up.
  • Once again, I am reminded of the mixed reactions to Skyward Sword, it'll never not be funny.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
As someone who has never played a Xenoblade Chronicles game in his life, I'm somewhat curious.

People who supported Rex, are you happier with this outcome or would you have rather had Rex as the main fighter?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean, they're both considered their own character. Time to allocate 2 spots. :p
Even if I go that way, Pyra's render blocks Mythra's render. Doesn't jive well with my aesthetics. Plus having two characters with the same background next to each other. Clash! I think, for now, I'll make one with just Pyra, and one with Pyra and Mythra. Just waiting to get the mural.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
As someone who has never played a Xenoblade Chronicles game in his life, I'm somewhat curious.

People who supported Rex, are you happier with this outcome or would you have rather had Rex as the main fighter?
I wanted the Driver-Blade combo. Pyra/Mythra looks cool, but I always shut down the Blade solo idea.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

In the Rex and the Pyra threads I mainly see people happy that we're getting an XBC2 fighter.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I see some people are kind of underwhelmed by Pyrrha, but considering the timing of the reveal I was pretty confident it was going to be a 1st party pick. It's hard for any character to follow up Steve and Sephiroth anyway, plus this reveal happened during an impromptu direct rather than a big gaming event. Personally I'd take Pyrrha over Rex, Waluigi, or a Pokemon which were by far the other most likely Nintendo characters. I'd also say there's a very good chance this is the last 1st party character we get in FP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom