• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SPOILER FREE: Nintendo Direct Thread 2/17/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Meh...Pyra/Mythra is gonna be this Season's Byleth for me(though, not nearly as bad since this is only the 2nd XB character).

I think Mario Golf was the only NEW thing I was excited about.

Now that Skyward Sword is going to have non-motion controls, I may actually play it.

Hopefully, that Ninja Gaiden collection forshadows something for Smash!

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’m happy to see Fall Guys coming to console I have (I also have an Xbox One)
I was sorta close with CP9 (I was thinking Rex, Cinderace, or Arle)

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm actually a little miffed that they'd bring up 3D World and then just not go anywhere with that. Why do that to me? What did I do?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
That actually makes me wonder, how are they going to do Pyra/Mythra's spirit board and music? Xenoblade 2 already had a relatively robust selection in both those departments, especially with most of the main cast having spirits already.

Maybe Sakurai is adding fighters he finds interesting and isn't stopping himself if that means retreading territory in the supporting content.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Alright, alright, alright, alright, alright, alright.....

I'm very dizzy right now, feel like i'm gonna fall at any seconds, and I should probably going to bed now instead of writting this.....

But....My god....it happened, it freakin' happened.

One of my favourite games of all time got a rep, and...

While I haven't read any posts, i'm sure alot of peoples right now are confuse, dissapointed, angry, or the like, and you know, that's fine.

As someone who didn't got any characters I truly wanted for years, I understand that feeling of getting a character from a game that, let's be frank, as some questionables character design, got quite alot of problems here and there and is quite recent compared to other franchise who in a way deserve that spot more, and be not very happy as a result.

I truly get it, if you don't like Pyra/Mythra getting in, I won't throw rock at you, so long you don't throw rocks at me in return.

'cuz right now, I'm really, really happy, I think it's the happiest I ever been when it come to Smash news, and while i'm pretty sad that we didn't got Omori reveal, I can let it pass this time. Because finally....I got a character I really love....

With that all said, ladies, gentlemen, have a good night/day/what have you, and hope it didn't ruin your day too much.

See ya all....

Oh and, freakin' rest in peace, Rex.

I love you, but alongside KOS-MOS & Elme unfortunaly, this isn't that time.

Sorry for the fans of those two characters, hope Pyra/Mythra still is decent for ya.

AND I SEE YOU, CHUGGAACONROY.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm super late to this whole thing, but I just wanted to duck in and say congrats to all the Xenoblade 2 and "____ and Pyra!" fans out there who kept up hope. I've never touched a Xenoblade game, but I got to know the main trio of 2 just from Smash ballots alone and this duo looks insane fun.

I really like how Sakurai is using FP2 to basically go back and add in the few characters he just didn't have time to add to base game. As someone who's been following speculation since the very start, Pyra/Mythra's inclusion feels satisfying, y'know? Again, I have no clue what their whole story is, but it feels like fans have been rewarded for their patience.

I dunno, just happy for you guys! Welcome back!

And to everyone who absolutely loathes this reveal exclusively because it's not Rex...hey, that's rough, buddy, but c'mon...

Shroob

Sup?
That actually makes me wonder, how are they going to do Pyra/Mythra's spirit board and music? Xenoblade 2 already had a relatively robust selection in both those departments, especially with most of the main cast having spirits already.

Maybe Sakurai is adding fighters he finds interesting and isn't stopping himself if that means retreading territory in the supporting content.
Well, Minmin's reuses base game spirits.

Maybe slap on some Torna spirits as well.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

Same thing they did with ARMS. Re-use a lot of them with maybe a couple of new ones.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I like Pyra/Mythra but man it's so weird to not have Rex there.

Overall, decent direct. Not much for me besides the Capcom stuff and Ninja Gaiden.

God dammit, I was predicting Rex as one of the last characters. I got this close to actually predicting a character.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I'd imagine they could do the same thing they did with ARMs and just reuse spirits, with some new ones of course.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm actually a little miffed that they'd bring up 3D World and then just not go anywhere with that. Why do that to me? What did I do?
Nintendo wanted to remind you that you should go buy it.

Presuming the existing XC2 Spirits + additional ones like Torna Spirits perhaps?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Add the rest of the main XC2 cast as spirits, some other characters, maybe Torna and more music since XB2 only got three tracks.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think it outright deconfirms them, obviously not.

It's just when you look at how much time we have left, namely, 2 reveals, at least 1 of them being E3, the prospects are very not good.
Yeah I understand that. It's probably just 3rd-parties.

Was just sayin' my thoughts about the mii costume reason specifically is all. Not trying to say their chances looked good or anything.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This direct seemed more directed at Eastern audiences, so I think it'll be much less popular for Americans, especially those over the age of 20. I have no hate for it, but I definitely didn't see much I am excited about. It *seemed like 90% remakes/relaunches of Japanese (meaning more of the japanese artstyle like Tecmo) games which just don't interest me, but I don't look at directs as "good or bad", just get excited about what I can. Makes it more enjoyable.

Pyra looks pretty basic, but it's interesting that they're bringing the switching mechanic back after removing it from Zelda. Could be fun!

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Imma be honest: Pyra was the choice I would've gone for if I was thinking with my... more primitive desires. But that's not how I choose what characters I want in.

So uh... OOPS! Guess I reap what I sow.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Not really a huge Xenoblade fan but just from a design standpoint having another character that does the switching stuff is cool. The character designs are also great. What can I say? I'm excited. XC2 - love it or hate it - was robbed and deserved this.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I mean, there are still the DLC characters, the villain characters and the BLADE characters that you acquire as well, so there are still quite a bit to use for Spirits.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
F***. I knew I shouldn't have avoided leaks.
My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
Oh well, it could've been worse i guess.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hmmm This will make making a wallpaper confusing.

Highlights:
  • I'm so happy it was XB2 characters, as if it were to be first party character(s), I'm glad that it was a series that needed more characters. Even if the series itself isn't up my alley. And glad it's a... new mechanic? Or something? Still confused.
  • FALL GUYS! Yes!
  • Project Triangle looks interesting for someone like me who's not typically into RPGs/Octopath.

Nice to See, but Not for Me
  • Mario Golf
  • Miitopia - would have preferred Tomadachi Life. Even though I haven't played it, the presentation that featured it was amazing and reminds me when Nintendo presentations were fun. Still, glad to see Mii games coming back.
  • Skyward Sword - It would have been the first LOZ game I played as the Wii was the first system that was truly mine, but heard bad stuff and skipped it. Seeing the trailer for Switch--I kinda see why now. Still, outside of a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, people were hoping/expecting this... Right?

Overall, I had no expectations, so not disappointed. And while Pyra/Mythra aren't characters that appeal to me, I am so glad they went with that choice, for a variety of reasons.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Don't sleep on Nintendo featuring Hades in this direct just for a physical release. They're showing a lot of love for the game.

Spirit event please.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
I can understand why they would save Crash for E3.
Another anime sword user.
Shadow practically deconfined.
No Deltarune teasers.
No smash character I know.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'd agree that having Pyra and Mythra as one fighter with Rex nowhere to be seen beyond the Final Smash is a bit... odd. I kind of like oddities like that, though. It makes this even more interesting. It doesn't make sense in the same way that a fighter reveal in one's dreams wouldn't. (Literal dreams, not hopes per se.)

Those who have also dreamt of fighter reveals understand what I mean.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just love the fact my hope for Agumon is back up again. I don't think he's happening, mind you, with 2 character packs left, but at least the idea of him being added in general feels way better. Since transformations are clearly on the table for newcomers again, that massively helps him. That was the only actual core thing that could keep him being playable, too many transformations. He's not a veteran like PT, who has some data to work with, so it'd require way more work.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
No Zelda anniversary collection is a kind of terrible and not good news at all, unless N64 and GCN online become a thing. Other than that, LET'S GO PYRA/MYTHRA!!! No Rex is a tragedy and not at all what I wanted from them, but it's still a two-in-one package deal so it's hard to be upset about that. Miis making a comeback with Mario Golf and Miitopia is exciting. Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy was finally announced and will release in time for Hayabusa's eventual announcement. Updates on upcoming games like No More Heroes 3 was nice as well. Star Wars Hunters would've been a highlight if it weren't for Zynga's logo popped up. Finally, Project Triangle Strategy just screams that they're trying not to make a project name that's too good.

Shroob

Sup?
Hmmm This will make making a wallpaper confusing.

Highlights:
  • I'm so happy it was XB2 characters, as if it were to be first party character(s), I'm glad that it was a series that needed more characters. Even if the series itself isn't up my alley. And glad it's a... new mechanic? Or something? Still confused.
  • FALL GUYS! Yes!
  • Project Triangle looks interesting for someone like me who's not typically into RPGs/Octopath.

Nice to See, but Not for Me
  • Mario Golf
  • Miitopia - would have preferred Tomadachi Life. Even though I haven't played it, the presentation that featured it was amazing and reminds me when Nintendo presentations were fun. Still, glad to see Mii games coming back.
  • Skyward Sword - It would have been the first LOZ game I played as the Wii was the first system that was truly mine, but heard bad stuff and skipped it. Seeing the trailer for Switch--I kinda see why now. Still, outside of a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, people were hoping/expecting this... Right?

Overall, I had no expectations, so not disappointed. And while Pyra/Mythra aren't characters that appeal to me, I am so glad they went with that choice, for a variety of reasons.
I mean, they're both considered their own character. Time to allocate 2 spots. :p

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Anyway, onto the rest of the direct:

Pretty meh imo. There were a few cool-looking games that grabbed my interest, but are probably ones I won't get anyway. Like that PvZ battle game and what was basically zombie simulator.

Splatoon 3 is cool though. Haven't played Splatoon but I've been wanting to try it, just I've been prioritizing other games and stuff tbh. Not sure if I should start with the first considering the story modes or not...I hope the octolings are back just incase I get the new game sometime.

New Mario Golf looks cool, too. Aren't these games made by Camelot? Hope the Golden Sun rumor isn't dead...

Skyward Sword HD is also cool. Haven't played that one yet, might grab it.

Might also get Miitopia. I'm glad the miis are getting revived after basically just being silly things to make that were only used in Smash and I guess Mario Kart afaik.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Highlights for me are mostly just Splatoon, Miitopia, Animal Crossing and I guess Mario Golf. Skyward Sword and AoC seem interesting, Pyra and Mythra don't do much for me, overall, could've been better.

No 3D Kirby/10

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Not much to say on the new character. They look more interesting than typical swordies so I'll give them that. That lead up was kinda hilarious making it seem like this was a new installment or side game or something just to be like "lol, smash invite". Swordies aren't usually my jam so my excitement is about the same as it's been for the likes of Seph or Byleth. However I'm happy for the Xeno fans who've been wanting more reps and this specific rep(s) in particular.

Oddly I kinda wanna play that weird dodgeball game. Looks kinda neat.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, uh, I'm whelmed.

Happy to see Splatoon 3 and a new Mario Golf. Nice to finally see the NG Trilogy get revealed. Monster Hunter Rise continues to look good. Skyward Sword HD isn't super surprising but I guess it's about time it happened.

Everything else was, uhhhh.... uhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... yeah. I guess I'm happy for y'all who wanted Pyra and Mythra.

Edit: **** I forgot about NMH3, that was also pretty sick

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Missing since 2017: Blond, intergalactic bounty hunter, often wears red and orange armor, answers to the name of Samus Aran.

Also missing since 2017: Tall, voluptuous raven haired witch, answers to the names Bayonetta and Cereza, likes to fight angels, shop, and scold bad little boys.

It is wildly believe that Nintendo has held these two ladies captive and has no intentions of ever setting them free.

Please help the spread the word of their evil actions.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That was a cool ass Smash reveal. Entering the direct I had Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, and a Xeno character as my top 3 main predictions for the next character, first time I've been right about a Smash reveal in a long time. I'm glad we got another Xeno character, the series has been needing another one with the small amount of new content added for it in Ultimate in the jump from Smash 4.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Rex and Elma fans in shambles, possible KOS-MOS' too

I'm gonna predict that Lloyd will be kill this next batch of mii costumes.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
All in all - I think that's about all I have to say about what has happened this evening. Not a big XC fan and I wasn't expecting this, but how can I be disappointed by something so interesting? I'll now retreat into the kitchen cupboard until the Sakurai Presents. Bye-bye!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom