• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A casual market isn't going to spend $400 for a single character. This is the main metric I'm going by in my predictions as it's Nintendo's goal to expand the demographics for not only Smash, but the Switch as well. This is particularly why I think that each franchise represented in the DLC will be at or around Persona's level worldwide, which includes DQ. There's a reason I brought up DQ fans in my post. Slime is neat, but it's not something they want in a Fighting game, Same reason Slime isn't playable in DQ Heroes. At the end of the day, they want heroes and not monsters, despite whatever "iconic" status the general public puts on Slime.
The market that is going to spend the most for a character is the worldwide market.

You have no real idea what they want in a fighting game, though. That's way too presumptuous. What we do know is they want to appeal to a casual level a bit, which Joker still does.

How on earth do you know they wouldn't want Slime? They wanted Pikachu, after all, which is literally what Slime is to DQ. A major mascot that heavily represents a lot of the important aspects of the series. And pfft. The general public isn't "putting" some iconic status on Slime. There's absolutely no questioning that its more known than Edrick(not necessarily as popular, but that's not what being an icon means at all). Slime is the freaking logo of the series in many cases, and has had his own games, is literally presented as a major partner(just like Pikachu) in the first three Dragon Quest Monsters games(I have not played Joker). You're vastly downplaying its mascot status, and completely ignoring why Cloud is in a completely different situation. Cloud was never competing with the animal mascots in the first place, but being the fact he was worldwide, he had a huge boon in his favor. As long as Erdrick isn't known worldwide, he's at a disadvantage against those who have worldwide appeal(which is actually pretty important for 3rd party DLC, as I've explained multiple times before. Licensing a virtual unknown is an inherent risk. There's less risk with 1st parties due to way less money spent. That means even if it doesn't work out as well as they hoped, it's not a giant drop in their bucket. When a 3rd party fails, they don't get the massive amount of money back they spent to license). I don't know if saw this important point against Erdrick as a choice earlier, but it's something people should keep in mind. Nintendo is not a business to take extreme risks, nor is Square. In fact, this alone could be why Geno was never playable via DLC, because his obscurity isn't a big enough sales guarantee for them to risk it. That's obviously not an issue for more iconic characters, including Slime.

...DQ Heroes is not exactly a good point. It's a game where only Heroes are playable, unless I misunderstood the blatantly obvious name. That sounds like more of an actual case that they made a special crossover for a niche demographic(which doesn't apply whatsoever to Smash).

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I never actually considered Erdrick at all till the leaks came by.

It was always Slime for me as the de facto option. I mean, to be fair, it's the mascot and the original representation of Random Encounters, a pretty important part of RPG history.

Though I am also a fan of regular Random Encounters, so that's part of it too. I mean, you already know one of my favorite games, heh. That said, I've played Tales of. I think the issue is while I could maybe get into the "monsters appear on the screen first", that won't help much unless it sticks to the battle style I prefer, either pure Turn-based or Battle Gauge. I don't remember with DQ game started the monsters appearing in the overworld, but did that game stick with regular Turn-based combat? If so, I'm willing to give it a try. I honestly don't know if later DQ games changed the core Turn-based battle style. I don't mean some unique spin-offs, but the regular rpg's(that includes Dragon Quest Monsters, where I only played 1 and 2).

I mean I’m not gonna lie I don’t like Slime as a character/enemy. That’s why GoeGoe GoeGoe and me have that bet going on. That being said not gonna lie seeing Kirby absorb Slime is something I’m very curious about. I mean how will Slime Kirby look like?

He’ll either look like this

F6070021-7825-42FE-81F0-7BA0FF6E42B6.png

Or like this

8056ECD2-7E38-4F8D-ABEC-F68D439D4C0D.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean I’m not gonna lie I don’t like Slime as a character/enemy. That’s why GoeGoe GoeGoe and me have that bet going on. That being said not gonna lie seeing Kirby absorb Slime is something I’m very curious about. I mean how will Slime Kirby look like?

He’ll either look like this

View attachment 222743

Or like this

View attachment 222744
I'm not sure it matters much? I mean, either way, it'll make sense. It depends what Sakurai and SE agree to as an idea. I think the first image feels more likely, as it matches the idea of tons of different Slimes, as well as how Dragon Quest Monsters loves to do their "Fusions", or breeding I should say.

(Though you did quote my post with a major typo. Thankfully I fixed it already, or at least I hope I fixed it before another reply)

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Watch Nintendo do neither a Square rep or Microsoft rep at E3. Watch them reveal the 2nd Namco rep or the 1st Activision rep and fool us all lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Watch Nintendo do neither a Square rep or Microsoft rep at E3. Watch them reveal the 2nd Namco rep or the 1st Activision rep and fool us all lol.
I can work with that. It'd be nice to have unexpected stuff.

...I can always hope for my unrealistic but fun want, though~

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The market that is going to spend the most for a character is the worldwide market.
Slapping something popular into something else, whether it be a different medium or property, doesn't guarantee success. There's A LOT more factors at work here that neither you nor I have access to. Nintendo's already said that New Demographics are the point of the Fighters pass. That alone is a huge risk. It shows they aren't looking to appeal to the masses and with Ultimate sitting at a near 50% attach rate to Switch owners, there's no need to appeal to them. This "appeal to the world wide market" is an argument I expect from a Smash fan, which is exactly why I don't think the pass is going to turn out that way. I've said it plenty of times, We're likely not going to be getting hype nukes, we're going to get precision missile strikes aimed at specific fanbases.

You have no real idea what they want in a fighting game, though. That's way too presumptuous.
Almost every DQ fan in this thread prefers Erdrick over Slime. Almost every DQ fan I know personally prefers Erdrick over Slime for Smash. Presumptuous or not, I have experience with DQ fans, especially considering I am one.

How on earth do you know they wouldn't want Slime? They wanted Pikachu, after all, which is literally what Slime is to DQ. A major mascot that heavily represents a lot of the important aspects of the series. And pfft. The general public isn't "putting" some iconic status on Slime. There's absolutely no questioning that its more known than Edrick(not necessarily as popular, but that's not what being an icon means at all). Slime is the freaking logo of the series in many cases, and has had his own games, is literally presented as a major partner(just like Pikachu) in the first three Dragon Quest Monsters games(I have not played Joker). You're vastly downplaying its mascot status, and completely ignoring why Cloud is in a completely different situation.
Pokemon is a different beast. The main point of Pokemon is the monsters. They are the selling point. They are the takeaway from the games. Very few people want the humans to be playable. It's all on the Pokemon because they are the face of the Franchise and it's why people play the games in the first place, Monster collecting. Nobody plays DQ for the monsters outside of the few DQ Monsters spinoffs. I'm not saying Slime isn't Iconic, it is, but being iconic doesn't make it the de facto rep.

As long as Erdrick isn't known worldwide, he's at a disadvantage against those who have worldwide appeal(which is actually pretty important for 3rd party DLC, as I've explained multiple times before. Licensing a virtual unknown is an inherent risk. There's less risk with 1st parties due to way less money spent. That means even if it doesn't work out as well as they hoped, it's not a giant drop in their bucket. When a 3rd party fails, they don't get the massive amount of money back they spent to license). I don't know if saw this important point against Erdrick as a choice earlier, but it's something people should keep in mind. Nintendo is not a business to take extreme risks, nor is Square.
Except for the fact that Nintendo has a vested interest in the Success of DQ considering they publish the Nintendo released games in the west, and SE has stated very much that they want DQ to be as much a success in the West as it is in the East. No matter how you slice it, that can't happen without risks being taken. And hell, what better way to take that Risk than to let Nintendo take it for you while you get money out of the deal. I've already stated before that their apparent plans for the fighter's pass is a risk in and of itself, so Erdrick being a risk doesn't do anything towards my viewpoint. Also, Erdrick, if added, will be for the DQ fan. Not the Smash fan. Not the Casual dude that would recognize Slime. It's for the DQ fan.

In fact, this alone could be why Geno was never playable via DLC, because his obscurity isn't a big enough sales guarantee for them to risk it. That's obviously not an issue for more iconic characters, including Slime.
Geno has far bigger problems than obscurity. Geno's a character that literally means nothing for Square and does nothing for their bottom line. Unlike characters like Erdrick, 2B, Neku and even Crono.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I personally don't think Slime represents Dragon Quest very well on its own. At least, not in a game like Smash. Especially since there's so many other roles Slime could have that'd fit it better (appearing in the background of DQ's stage, being in a taunt, appearing in one of the victory screens, maybe being the series' symbol if they chose not to go with the Erdrick symbol, etc.). It's the mascot, but it doesn't make very much sense being the series' sole playable representative in Smash. Dragon Quest isn't about Slime, it's about the heroes and their journey (that's simplifying it a bit, but I think you get what I mean).

The main series DQ games are about the heroes, and they're the ones who'd represent the essence of the series the best. Putting Slime as the series' first and only playable character would paint a very inaccurate picture of what the series is actually like. While that wouldn't bother some people, it'd get under my skin quite a bit. I also care how the series would be perceived by people who may not know very much about it.

Besides, if you're going to include a franchise into Smash, wouldn't it make sense to do it for the fans of that franchise and not the people who don't know/care about it? Most people who want Slime the most, from what I've seen, tend to be people who don't really care for DQ and pick it because it's the only thing they recognize from it. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think the best option would be to go for the character who best represents what Dragon Quest is as a series. The Heroes do this the best, and Erdrick is the DQ Hero. In 2010, he was even voted the favorite DQ character in general.

Having a DQ character in Smash and not being able to perform Zap/Kazap and see Gigaslash/Gigagash as a Final Smash would just feel...wrong. I want to be able to fight with Erdrick's iconic sword and shield as well. It's the little things, you know?

As a fan, I would much rather see a Hero or one of the many party members represent DQ in Smash. Besides, if Erdrick was the character, I'm certain that Slime would make an appearance anyway. Being playable isn't the only way to represent the little guy.

If one wants to represent DQ right, the best choice would be to have a playable Erdrick with a stage showing off Slime and the various other monsters in the background. That would feel a lot more complete to me.

That's just my opinion, though. I'm sure people will disagree with it because Erdrick isn't extremely popular worldwide, but I think representing DQ correctly is more important than that. Like it or not, I believe Erdrick is the best way to sum up Dragon Quest in one character, while the stage would more than likely cover the other things like the monsters and such. Again, that's just my opinion. I don't mean to start anything.

I hate internet debates, so I probably won't continue to go back and forth about it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Slapping something popular into something else, whether it be a different medium or property, doesn't guarantee success. There's A LOT more factors at work here that neither you nor I have access to. Nintendo's already said that New Demographics are the point of the Fighters pass. That alone is a huge risk. It shows they aren't looking to appeal to the masses and with Ultimate sitting at a near 50% attach rate to Switch owners, there's no need to appeal to them. This "appeal to the world wide market" is an argument I expect from a Smash fan, which is exactly why I don't think the pass is going to turn out that way. I've said it plenty of times, We're likely not going to be getting hype nukes, we're going to get precision missile strikes aimed at specific fanbases.
And using Erdrick doesn't guarantee success at all. Not sure why you're trying to paint him as some guaranteed one.

Almost every DQ fan in this thread prefers Erdrick over Slime. Almost every DQ fan I know personally prefers Erdrick over Slime for Smash. Presumptuous or not, I have experience with DQ fans, especially considering I am one.
Personal anecdotes are not very useful here. Or more specifically, they're very weak evidence that we can't honestly take seriously. It doesn't prove anything. It just proves, at best, some like Erdrick. So... what is actually news here?

Pokemon is a different beast. The main point of Pokemon is the monsters. They are the selling point. They are the takeaway from the games. Very few people want the humans to be playable. It's all on the Pokemon because they are the face of the Franchise and it's why people play the games in the first place, Monster collecting. Nobody plays DQ for the monsters outside of the few DQ Monsters spinoffs. I'm not saying Slime isn't Iconic, it is, but being iconic doesn't make it the de facto rep.
Nobody said Slime would be the de facto rep in any way. What they did say is he could be chosen. And pfft, "nobody". You're making too many generalizations here. This is still no different from the Pokemon situation because this isn't about "selling points" or "who is most important at all". What is important is that trying to treat Erdrick is a bigger deal than Slime is literally wrong. Popularity doesn't change who the mascot continues to be. There is some cases where the more popular character becomes the mascot. DQ isn't a case of that. Slime has not stopped being the de facto Mascot for a long time now. Maybe when they make Erdrick actually known in the West, he could take that spot. But for now, he's not even remotely close.

Except for the fact that Nintendo has a vested interest in the Success of DQ considering they publish the Nintendo released games in the west, and SE has stated very much that they want DQ to be as much a success in the West as it is in the East. No matter how you slice it, that can't happen without risks being taken. And hell, what better way to take that Risk than to let Nintendo take it for you while you get money out of the deal. I've already stated before that their apparent plans for the fighter's pass is a risk in and of itself, so Erdrick being a risk doesn't do anything towards my viewpoint. Also, Erdrick, if added, will be for the DQ fan. Not the Smash fan. Not the Casual dude that would recognize Slime. It's for the DQ fan.
None of this has will ever make a difference in the risk factor. He will always be a risky character if they cannot guarantee sales for him worldwide(which they can't because they know he's a virtual unknown overseas). It doesn't mean the risk will be taken into account, obviously. But he's still a risk if you apply basic logic here.

And I really don't buy they are going to ignore an entire region for DLC with a character choice, at least not a 3rd party one. Corrin didn't ignore the West because at least they knew what Fire Embelm was(besides the 1st party factor not making him very risky or a major investment in comparison to any 3rd party, who is a far bigger deal when it comes to DLC, in many ways). DLC is for everyone, not just one set of fans. Not sure where you get this idea they're going to target a specific fanbase only, but they want to appeal to more than just that alone. If they'd get a fairly small chunk of people, then it's not a great investment. They want sales, period. Worldwide sales will always rule over a single region only in a worldwide game. This is common sense for businesses. Smash included. I don't know why you continue to push the silly idea they're going to solely target one region for sales. They've never done this before. It isn't going to start now.

Geno has far bigger problems than obscurity. Geno's a character that literally means nothing for Square and does nothing for their bottom line. Unlike characters like Erdrick, 2B, Neku and even Crono.
Eh, it's debating if all of those are even on the Smash radar outside of maybe Erdrick and Crono. Geno has always been on the Smash radar since Brawl. And that's something that is heavily in his favor compared to others. It doesn't matter if one might be a bit more mainstream, Geno's worldwide popularity is still a pretty big enough deal for Sakurai to care. He could even be our SE rep this time around for all we know.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Crono doesn't even have major fan demand to the same level as Geno, and they have been selling the SNES Mini as well as SMRPG has been becoming far less obscure these days. There's a reason it's the only other SE series to get spirits. They clearly had no problem with it, treating it as much more important than you're insinuating. I never thought Geno was too likely over others either, but you're vastly downplaying him. Sure, compared to Slime, yeah, I wouldn't put Geno in a great spot. Erdrick though? Geno's honestly in a similar level of being recognized(that is, by a fairly small set of fans overall, though Geno's worldwide popularity may put him over the edge in choices. Especially since he has known immense fan demand, something that's not always ignored). I can't even remember who Neku is. But there's a lot better examples beyond those, like the rest of the Square Seven, who are the only real known competition(so removing 2B and Neku, we got actual big contenders like Sephiroth and Sora. Well, Sora only kind of counts).
Just wanted to point out that you're definitely downplaying Neku just because "you" don't remember him, lol. He is quite current and known still. But I do agree he is one of the least likely in comparison to Sephiroth and Sora, those 2 are the 2 big monsters in this list right now imo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just wanted to point out that you're definitely downplaying Neku just because "you" don't remember him, lol. He is quite current and known still. But I do agree he is one of the least likely in comparison to Sephiroth and Sora, those 2 are the 2 big monsters in this list right now imo.
No, I'm not downplaying him. Besides, that was a silly message I so removed all that.

I legitimately don't remember who he is. That doesn't mean anything either. Personal anecdotes are not useful, remember? I literally said earlier for a reason. We can't use those as reasonable evidence, thus, I refuse to treat that as it. Me not remembering who Neku is doesn't mean he's an unknown. It just means I don't remember who he is.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
And using Erdrick doesn't guarantee success at all. Not sure why you're trying to paint him as some guaranteed one.
Never said he was a guaranteed success. I don't think Erdrick being a risk is a negative when I feel the entire Selection in the Fighter's pass is a risk to begin with.

Personal anecdotes are not very useful herre.
Considering you have nothing to support your point, it's better than nothing, especially since it very much seems you're not a DQ fan.

Nobody said Slime would be the de facto rep in any way. What they did say is he could be chosen. And pfft, "nobody". You're making too many generalizations here. This is still no different from the Pokemon situation because this isn't about "selling points" or "who is most important at all". What is important is that trying to treat Erdrick is a bigger deal than Slime is literally wrong. Popularity doesn't change who the mascot continues to be. There is some cases where the more popular character becomes the mascot. DQ isn't a case of that. Slime has not stopped being the de facto Mascot for a long time now. Maybe when they made Erdrick actually known in the West, he could take that spot. But for now, he's not even remotely close.
Slime doesn't represent DQ all that well unlike the playable hero would. Also, to the DQ Fan, Erdrick is a bigger deal than Slime. Which is my point that you are failing to realize.

None of this has will ever make a difference in the risk factor. He will always be a risky character if they cannot guarantee sales for him worldwide(which they can't because they know he's a virtual unknown overseas). It doesn't mean the risk will be taken into account, obviously. But he's still a risk if you apply basic logic here.
Which I'm not arguing against. I'm saying he's a risk worth taking for both parties involved.

And I really don't buy they are going to ignore an entire region for DLC with a character choice, at least not a 3rd party one.
Never said they would.

DLC is for everyone, not just one set of fans. Not sure where you get this idea they're going to target a specific fanbase only, but they want to appeal to more than just that alone. If they'd get a fairly small chunk of people, then it's not a great investment. They want sales, period. Worldwide sales will always rule over a single region only in a worldwide game. This is common sense for businesses. Smash included.
I'm well aware, Why do you think I brought up the $400 figure for one character from? Nintendo wants to increase the demographics interested in the Switch and Smash. Aiming for those groups of people willing to spend $400 for a single character has the possibility of generating more Revenue for Nintendo than appealing to the status quo, especially when a lot of that audience is going to get the pass regardless of who's in it.

I don't know why you continue to push the silly idea they're going to solely target one region for sales. They've never done this before. It isn't going to start now.
Never said they were going to focus on one region.

Crono doesn't even have major fan demand to the same level as Geno, and they have been selling the SNES Mini as well as SMRPG has been becoming far less obscure these days. There's a reason it's the only other SE series to get spirits. They clearly had no problem with it, treating it as much more important than you're insinuating. I never thought Geno was too likely over others either, but you're vastly downplaying him. Sure, compared to Slime, yeah, I wouldn't put Geno in a great spot. Erdrick though? Geno's honestly in a similar level of being recognized(that is, by a fairly small set of fans overall, though Geno's worldwide popularity may put him over the edge in choices. Especially since he has known immense fan demand, something that's not always ignored). I can't even remember who Neku is. But there's a lot better examples beyond those, like the rest of the Square Seven, who are the only real known competition(so removing 2B and Neku, we got actual big contenders like Sephiroth and Sora. Well, Sora only kind of counts).
There's a reason I brought up SE's bottom line. SE is essentially a patent troll when it comes to Geno. He's a character that does nothing for them financially. I'm sure they're fine with him in cameo/non-important roles. But as a major focus of a cross over that expands outside of the Marioverse? No. SE isn't going to want that because it doesn't benefit them in anyway. SMRPG isn't even SE's game. It's wholly owned by Nintendo outside of the SE owned characters of which SE might get a pittance of royalties from each copy sold. I'd argue that Geno's popularity means nothing when he's a 3rd rate SE rep to begin with.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never said he was a guaranteed success. I don't think Erdrick being a risk is a negative when I feel the entire Selection in the Fighter's pass is a risk to begin with.
None of the Fighter's Pass so far has been a remote risk in any way comparable. A worldwide popular character is pretty hard to be risky. Niche doesn't mean it won't sell at all.

Considering you have nothing to support your point, it's better than nothing, especially since it very much seems you're not a DQ fan.
Nah, I'm a pretty big fan of the series overall. I just prefer the classic games and hold the rpg tropes it created in higher regard than a hero that showed up a bit later on. It just means I have a different yet valid view of the overall series. Dismissing other views really doesn't help your point at all.

Slime doesn't represent DQ all that well unlike the playable hero would. Also, to the DQ Fan, Erdrick is a bigger deal than Slime. Which is my point that you are failing to realize.
Being a pretty big DQ fan, all that proves is it's too subjective. I consider Slime the biggest deal to the series. Doesn't make me less of a DQ fan. It just means I don't view it the same as some people. Erdrick was always second most important to me among the major characters in it, with Slime taking front center. But hey, who people find important is subjective. Especially when there's tons of stories, and some heroes hold more importance depending a specific game. But there's a reason I treat him with equality to Pikachu. Has something to do with being part of the main logo, a huge representation of what the series also does(random encounters may be gone now, but it was a major playing piece in the world of RPG's, that still exists today), and one of the most unique and lovable mascots. So if I find Slime most important... so what? Doesn't mean I consider Erdrick to hold no importance. That would be factually wrong.

Which I'm not arguing against. I'm saying he's a risk worth taking for both parties involved.
I don't honestly believe it's truly worth the risk. Especially when they have consistently taken zero risks with 3rd party DLC. I doubt it'll change.

Never said they would.
I honestly couldn't tell otherwise. Not when you've been pushing for a character who only has mass appeal in one region. So the implication was blatantly there.

I'm well aware, Why do you think I brought up the $400 figure for one character from? Nintendo wants to increase the demographics interested in the Switch and Smash. Aiming for those groups of people willing to spend $400 for a single character has the possibility of generating more Revenue for Nintendo than appealing to the status quo, especially when a lot of that audience is going to get the pass regardless of who's in it.
This can apply to literally any 3rd party. Unless I'm really missing what you mean by this, cause I don't see how this is specific to any one character. I must've missed something from way earlier, so please repost what you said earlier about the 400 figure.

Never said they were going to focus on one region.
That's literally what choosing Erdrick is. He's only pandering to the East. We need to stop pretending that's not the case. He is a virtual unknown in the West. You either are focusing on all regions by choosing a SE(or DQ) character who is known worldwide, or you're pandering to one region if you choose a character that other regions barely know. It's actually one of those few black and white situations.

There's a reason I brought up SE's bottom line. SE is essentially a patent troll when it comes to Geno. He's a character that does nothing for them financially. I'm sure they're fine with him in cameo/non-important roles. But as a major focus of a cross over that expands outside of the Marioverse? No. SE isn't going to want that because it doesn't benefit them in anyway. SMRPG isn't even SE's game. It's wholly owned by Nintendo outside of the SE owned characters of which SE might get a pittance of royalties from each copy sold. I'd argue that Geno's popularity means nothing when he's a 3rd rate SE rep to begin with.
You didn't see the edit. This is entirely outdated. However, Geno's popularity means a crapload when he's the first SE character that the developer of Smash is interested in because of that. That's an indesputable fact. You can downplay Geno's actual importance Smash-wise, but it won't change that it's important to the key person who matters, Sakurai. That makes him an overall big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Also, a lot of this is incorrect. SE holds a huge amount of the royalties of SMRPG due to most of its content being there's. Or at least a lot bigger chunk you're trying to write it off as. Never mind how the SNES Mini has multiple SE stuff on it. SE is getting a lot out of it.

D

Deleted member

Anyways, just because this is getting a bit of my opinion vs your opinion shall we move to another topic already? Frankly I see both points and agree to some degree in some points, and disagree in others.

Anyways what are some games that you would like to see on the Switch from SE in the future? I would like DQVIII, FFI-VI and VIII, Chrono Trigger, DQXII, Remake of DQIII, Octopath Traveller 2, Bravely Third...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Anyways, just because this is getting a bit of my opinion vs your opinion shall we move to another topic already? Frankly I see both points and agree to some degree in some points, and disagree in others.

Anyways what are some games that you would like to see on the Switch from SE in the future? I would like DQVIII, FFI-VI and VIII, Chrono Trigger, DQXII, Remake of DQIII, Octopath Traveller 2, Bravely Third...
Nier 3.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I can work with that. It'd be nice to have unexpected stuff.

...I can always hope for my unrealistic but fun want, though~
I can totally see that happening lol
With how Nintendo has been lately in terms of surprising fans with character reveals such as Piranah Plant & Joker. I wouldn’t doubt that they might do a reveal that no one expected,

Also thought I’d share this fan made theme versions of Crash Bandicoot, Erdrick and Ryu Hayabusa. I’m not a huge Crash fan, but not gonna lie his music in Smash would be really catchy!

Crash Bandicoot

Erdrick

Ryu Hayabusa

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
None of the Fighter's Pass so far has been a remote risk in any way comparable. A worldwide popular character is pretty hard to be risky. Niche doesn't mean it won't sell at all.
All one character. I feel all the characters will be niche outside of a possible Microsoft rep, and Erdrick is included in that niche.

I don't honestly believe it's truly worth the risk. Especially when they have consistently taken zero risks with 3rd party DLC. I doubt it'll change.
We'll see. I'm fully convinced the typical Smash fan is going to dislike this Fighter's pass because I feel it's not being made for them.

This can apply to literally any 3rd party. Unless I'm really missing what you mean by this, cause I don't see how this is specific to any one character. I must've missed something from way earlier, so please repost what you said earlier about the 400 figure.
I don't feel a casual market will spend $400 for a single character in a single game (Breakdown cost of Switch + Game + Fighters Pass). Casuals, by definition, go with the path of least resistance. For Example, I don't see a casual Resident Evil fan buying a Switch et al just because Leon is in Smash. It's a hefty investment for a single character to an audience that may not give a damn a month later. You want an example of a fanbase I mean? I'll use the Hyperdimension Neptunia fanbase. I can guarantee you that the HDN fanbase is going to pick up a Switch for the Switch version of Brave Neptunia. Why? Because it's uncensored compared to the PS4 version and that's a big selling point for that fanbase, Not only that, but they are willing to shell out some crazy money to show their love for that franchise and it's characters. This is a fanbase that is willing to jump consoles because of one series. (This is only an example of a fanbase I mean. Not an actual expectation that it will be DLC)

That's literally what choosing Erdrick is. He's only pandering to the East. We need to stop pretending that's not the case. He is a virtual unknown in the West. You either are focusing on all regions by choosing a SE(or DQ) character who is known worldwide, or you're pandering to one region if you choose a character that other regions barely know. It's actually one of those few black and white situations.
That's not how I see it regardless. The only thing I think is important is that each series has a sizable fanbase on both sides of the world, which DQ does. To me, Erdrick's not being in to satisfy Japanese fans, he's being in to satisfy DQ fans.

However, Geno's popularity means a crapload when he's the first SE character that the developer of Smash is interested in because of that. That's an indesputable fact. You can downplay Geno's actual importance Smash-wise, but it won't change that it's important to the key person who matters, Sakurai. That makes him an overall big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Yet, Sakurai went to SE for Cloud as his first choice. Not Geno. I'm fully convinced anything Sakurai has said about Geno is lip service to satiate Geno fans.

Also, a lot of this is incorrect. SE holds a huge amount of the royalties of SMRPG due to most of its content being there's. Or at least a lot bigger chunk you're trying to write it off as. Never mind how the SNES Mini has multiple SE stuff on it. SE is getting a lot out of it.
I don't know who owns what in regards to SMRPG outside of the game itself belonging to Nintendo and the SMRPG original characters belonging to Square. I'm positive that the music is split between the two. (Funny enough, Nintendo is listed as the Developer of SMRPG on the SNES mini website). All I can really say is that Nintendo gets the bulk of the revenue of SMRPG.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All one character. I feel all the characters will be niche outside of a possible Microsoft rep, and Erdrick is included in that niche.
Erdrick is not even on niche level. He's too unknown outside of Japan. He's more like between obscure and niche, really.

We'll see. I'm fully convinced the typical Smash fan is going to dislike this Fighter's pass because I feel it's not being made for them.
The typical Smash fan is the casuals, which is what it's pandering too.

I don't feel a casual market will spend $400 for a single character in a single game (Breakdown cost of Switch + Game + Fighters Pass). Casuals, by definition, go with the path of least resistance. For Example, I don't see a casual Resident Evil fan buying a Switch et al just because Leon is in Smash. It's a hefty investment for a single character to an audience that may not give a damn a month later. You want an example of a fanbase I mean? I'll use the Hyperdimension Neptunia fanbase. I can guarantee you that the HDN fanbase is going to pick up a Switch for the Switch version of Brave Neptunia. Why? Because it's uncensored compared to the PS4 version and that's a big selling point for that fanbase, Not only that, but they are willing to shell out some crazy money to show their love for that franchise and it's characters. This is a fanbase that is willing to jump consoles because of one series. (This is only an example of a fanbase I mean. Not an actual expectation that it will be DLC)
Except casuals are the main target demographic of Smash and actually the ones who have generated most sales. Hardcore fans were always the smaller fanbase.

That's not how I see it regardless. The only thing I think is important is that each series has a sizable fanbase on both sides of the world, which DQ does. To me, Erdrick's not being in to satisfy Japanese fans, he's being in to satisfy DQ fans.
When many of those DQ fans don't even know who he is? It's not really. He's a Japanese pandering character, since that's where he's actually known. And no, don't say they aren't real fans either. They're real fans because they enjoy the series. That's all there is to being a fan. Hardcore fans care more about the specific stories/details. Your typical fan just likes the series in general. I have a feeling you're mistaking a casual fanbase(the one most games appeal to) with a hardcore fanbase. The hardcore fanbase has rarely been the bigger of the two. You might see it in something like super competitive tabletop games like Chess, maybe. Or regular Sports. But even competitive video games are more known for having bigger casual fanbases. This is always the cream of the crop and sales. There's just a far larger amount of various people who buy consoles and games regardless of specific details. As long as the game is remotely good, it sells. Sometimes brand name too.

Yet, Sakurai went to SE for Cloud as his first choice. Not Geno. I'm fully convinced anything Sakurai has said about Geno is lip service to satiate Geno fans.
This literally makes zero sense.

First, it's a huge accusation of Sakurai being some liar. It's a huge insult as well. For that matter, it's common sense that Geno was not easy to get because Square is stingy. He outright said he wanted to get him in during Brawl but it didn't work out. Even if it has nothing to do with Square(which is a very likely scenario), there's the fact he still got stuff for Geno strictly for the fans in both 4 and Ultimate. Not just his words, but he knew him being playable wasn't possible. It's kind of hard to get him playable when SMRPG wasn't out in the UK at the time of Brawl alone(so obviously he has no worldwide appeal), barely was out(I can't remember the data) or wasn't even out yet by 4's DLC(so again, how can he sell him when only 2/3 of the world know who he is? Costume is one thing, but spending tons of times on an obscure character he can't guarantee sales is pretty foolish). So of course he went for Cloud first. He was a feasible option that would sell in all parts of the world. Geno was not. This is the first time in Smash history where Geno has any recognition in all regions.

I don't know who owns what in regards to SMRPG outside of the game itself belonging to Nintendo and the SMRPG original characters belonging to Square. I'm positive that the music is split between the two. (Funny enough, Nintendo is listed as the Developer of SMRPG on the SNES mini website). All I can really say is that Nintendo gets the bulk of the revenue of SMRPG.
Actually, where did you strictly see it belongs to Nintendo? I thought SE actually owned the literal game itself? I can't remember, as it's a bit muddy.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Just wondering, is it just me thinking Erdrick getting in as the Luminary?
I'm more worry about the fighter's name tbh. Since DQ officials never call the DQIII hero Roto.
If that's the case, using Eight or Elven as his default skin just for outside of Japan like R.O.B make him not that niche?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm more worry about the fighter's name tbh. Since DQ officials never call the DQIII hero Roto.
If that's the case, using Eight or Elven as his default skin just for outside of Japan like R.O.B make him not that niche?
You could also use the first Dragon Quest Hero.

And from what I remember, Erdrick is more of a title than a true character name? I haven't played every game, mind you. But some parts of the series are more fun for me already, so there's nothing to move onto~ What can I say, I love my random encounters. :grin:

D

Deleted member

I think given that many heroes of DQ share the same kit, we could have a hero with multiple skins just refered as that: hero.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think given that many heroes of DQ share the same kit, we could have a hero with multiple skins just refered as that: hero.
Eh, that name seems kinda generic honestly.

I'd like to think if they were going for the "generic title" they'd go with something like... "Dragon Warrior" or something.

It'd certainly be a cute callback.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, that name seems kinda generic honestly.

I'd like to think if they were going for the "generic title" they'd go with something like... "Dragon Warrior" or something.

It'd certainly be a cute callback.
It's been one that actually sounds like an actual character name to me. Dragon Questor sounds weird.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's 2:30 in the morning. Typos happen, heh.

Fixed. Thank you for pointing it out.
Ah, I see.
Yeah as far as titles go I like the sound of Dragon Warrior.

Also because as a fan of Shin Megami Tensei, the first protagonist doesn't have a concrete name and is just called "The Hero,"
smt1 the hero.png

and I don't want to get em mixed up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah, I see.
Yeah as far as titles go I like the sound of Dragon Warrior.

Also because as a fan of Shin Megami Tensei, the first protagonist doesn't have a concrete name and is just called "The Hero,"
View attachment 222794
and I don't want to get em mixed up.
More or less what I like to call your typical main character in Shining Force. I also called him that in a full SSB crossover roster(titled "Hero") that was based upon Max from Shining Force. ...I think I forgot his name was Max.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I'm thinking the possibility of SE wanting to fix the term the Luminary as the official translation of Yuusha.
The Luminary does have the same vibes the term Yuusha has. I can tell that.
I heard Hendrik in DQXI is referred as the Hero. In the original Japanese version, he is an Eiyuu which should translated to "hero" in English.
If SE is really willing to appeal DQ franchise overseas than the issue of the wavering translation is something should be solved.
I think Smash is the best way to fix DQ heroes name to something more recognizable. Calling them just heroes is too vague.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be perfectly frank, I would laugh my ass off, especially if there is no Square due to how anti-climatic it would be. This supposed character has been a "will there, won´t there" scenario for almost a year. At this point, it would not surprise me if there will be non, or... (and this would honestly make this ride even more anti-climatic) that the supposed Square character is someone not on the list like Dekku, Neir or Noctis at the end. Yes, I know the latter two is in Tekken/Soul Calibur, but you get the drill.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be perfectly frank, I would laugh my *** off, especially if there is no Square due to how anti-climatic it would be. This supposed character has been a "will there, won´t there" scenario for almost a year. At this point, it would not surprise me if there will be non, or... (and this would honestly make this ride even more anti-climatic) that the supposed Square character is someone not on the list like Dekku, Neir or Noctis at the end. Yes, I know the latter two is in Tekken/Soul Calibur, but you get the drill.
Eh, I still want the next RPG character to be Brian.

Though I'd gladly take Agumon or Nightmare as a more realistic pick, since you mentioned Bamco stuff.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
To be perfectly frank, I would laugh my *** off, especially if there is no Square due to how anti-climatic it would be. This supposed character has been a "will there, won´t there" scenario for almost a year. At this point, it would not surprise me if there will be non, or... (and this would honestly make this ride even more anti-climatic) that the supposed Square character is someone not on the list like Dekku, Neir or Noctis at the end. Yes, I know the latter two is in Tekken/Soul Calibur, but you get the drill.
I know you're joking, but if Noctis makes it to Smash Ultimate and is the second Square rep despite being in Tekken 7 at the same time... I would be so over the moon! As much as I love Noctis in Tekken, he just fits more in Smash. Not to mention as everyone can tell he's my favorite Square character and aside from Ken my favorite video game character. I mean realistically he has like 2% chance, but if it did happen I would be so happy ha!

Edit:

Found this cool picture of Cloud and Noctis, thought id share

4c495f6be909a4d1e27accc589d54a50.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I know you're joking, but if Noctis makes it to Smash Ultimate and is the second Square rep despite being in Tekken 7 at the same time... I would be so over the moon! As much as I love Noctis in Tekken, he just fits more in Smash. Not to mention as everyone can tell he's my favorite Square character and aside from Ken my favorite video game character. I mean realistically he has like 2% chance, but if it did happen I would be so happy ha!
My Noctis mentioning was not really a joke.. It was rather an "I doubt considering Tekken" type of comment.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
If Erdrick doesn't make it to Smash, I am going to eat a sheet of toilet paper.

The trees tremble outside.
That's it? Just one sheet? You should have opted to eat the entire roll. Now THAT would be both horrifying and hilarious.

...My bad, that's the former 4channer in me coming out. >.>;

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Seeing SMRPG ported to or remade for the Switch is all I can ask for. The former is infinitely more likely, probably as an eShop title or as a part of NSO way, way down the line.

Also, hey, y'all, thank you for all of the sweet compliments on that art piece I finished last night!! I'm super grateful!

D

Deleted member

Seeing SMRPG ported to or remade for the Switch is all I can ask for. The former is infinitely more likely, probably as an eShop title or as a part of NSO way, way down the line.

Also, hey, y'all, thank you for all of the sweet compliments on that art piece I finished last night!! I'm super grateful!
That art deserved all the praise for sure.

I still think that Geno could be likely for a new Mario Sports title made by Square.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That art deserved all the praise for sure.

I still think that Geno could be likely for a new Mario Sports title made by Square.
If we get a new Mario Sports title from Square, I think Geno would be extremely likely now. During the Wii/DS era, I don't think Square really had any idea of how big Geno and Mallow are to a lot of people. After the Smash ballot, they've been getting more attention than ever before, so I think that how beloved they are is starting to click, both for them and Nintendo.

Let's hope we see a new one of those, or heck, even a new Fortune Street!

Top Bottom