• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, yeah? You can be skeptical if you want. I’m not 100% in myself either because of that.

But I do believe that somehow leaking DLC and base roster are completely different beasts. I feel like DLC data could be all over the place, unlike base roster. Especially if these leaks come from specific 3rd party companies and not Nintendo.

Just so I’m on the same page here, Verge’s source is from Square Enix, right? Hence why all the talk about layoffs when the list was released.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, yeah? You can be skeptical if you want. I’m not 100% in myself either because of that.

But I do believe that somehow leaking DLC and base roster are completely different beasts. I feel like DLC data could be all over the place, unlike base roster. Especially if these leaks come from specific 3rd party companies and not Nintendo.

Just so I’m on the same page here, Verge’s source is from Square Enix, right? Hence why all the talk about layoffs when the list was released.
Verge's source is a more general source IIRC. He just got that Square info is all. They aren't directly from Square Enix, I think?

D

Deleted member

I feel that we shouldn't rate someone's chances based on insider talk.

And thankfully, DQ has stuff that makes the idea of it getting content in Smash likely or reasonable outside of the word of some insiders. The biggest points being the release of every current DQ title on Nintendo systems, the marketing push from Nintendo and Square's part and Square's comments about planning to make the IP more visible in the West.

We are at a point where many characters have high chances of being part of the Fighter Pass, so I feel that the best approach to take is the "wait and see" mentallity.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It's not really that different, any 3rd party character will involve more companies and have chances to be leaked one way or another. Being dlc may involve smaller teams depending on how split the work loads are, it may be the same people involved but not as full time work like the base game, it depends in which teams the insiders are. we dont know enough there to say much one way or another ;)

I feel that we shouldn't rate someone's chances based on insider talk.

And thankfully, DQ has stuff that makes the idea of it getting content in Smash likely or reasonable outside of the word of some insiders. The biggest points being the release of every current DQ title on Nintendo systems, the marketing push from Nintendo and Square's part and Square's comments about planning to make the IP more visible in the West.

We are at a point where many characters have high chances of being part of the Fighter Pass, so I feel that the best approach to take is the "wait and see" mentallity.
Unrelated, but I like the chibi characters in your avi ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not really that different, any 3rd party character will involve more companies and have chances to be leaked one way or another. Being dlc may involve smaller teams depending on how split the work loads are, it may be the same people involved but not as full time work like the base game, it depends in which teams the insiders are. we dont know enough there to say much one way or another ;)

Unrelated, but I like the chibi characters in your avi ;)
Thanks Teeb!

I got inspired by the Chibi Kasumi shared by Gentlepanda at the Social Thread some time ago.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just because Sakurai couldn't figure out how to implement a character intially doesn't mean he'll never can, just look at Ridley.

Also, I wouldn't take the absence of content as an evidence for anything. We don't have enough modern Bandai-Namco Spirits to make no Tales of content suspicious.
There was a considerable amount of time since ppl wanted ridley, sakurai refusing because he couldn't make it work, and then figuring it out and making it happen. Heihachi is still very fresh to happen since that question to sakurai happened regarding his gameplay gimmick, and I wouldn't be surprised if him being turned into a pac man taunt serves as compensation (as weird as sakurai compensations go, we know how bad we feel about them but that's just how it is, also with spirits and such) and having a mii costume returning whenever we get a Namco rep is probably the best thing we can hope for. I just don't feel like Heihachi being fully playable is happening during THIS dlc season. I can't ignore the content we have and dont have as we've noticed how "most" of the returning content has come with DLC, such as the missing costumes of Sega with Joker, so I think it's totally reasonable to use that as a way of speculating, there is nothing negating the posibility entirely at all of being a factor that we could keep in mind off table. I totally expect Lloyd to come either as mii costume or playable just like i felt the same about the tails and knuckles mii costumes coming back eventually. "Everyone is here" has to be real to actually mean it, lol. I'm really not gonna change my mindset on this since there is nothing really going against it other than just ppl denying the chances despite the precedented facts so far, we are totally able to use these as means of speculation if we so want to.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Didn't he also say no to the grinch leak because it didn't align with what he knew?
He did. But that doesn´t change the fact that he has less to no track record (also Grinch leak was a no brainer to be fake but that's besides the point)

Exactly. Especially when Lucas, Marth and Roy already happened. Shouldn’t be an issue.
The difference between these 3 and Erdick is that those were in the base roster. Not DLC. That's why people question Erdick in the first place. Had he been rumored for the base roster, less would be less skeptic about it. I mean Erdick does not sell as much DLC as someone as Sephiroth or Sora. But people would not buy fewer copies just for Erdick if Erdick was in the base roster.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
He did. But that doesn´t change the fact that he has less to no track record (also Grinch leak was a no brainer to be fake but that's besides the point)

The difference between these 3 and Erdick is that those were in the base roster. Not DLC. That's why people question Erdick in the first place. Had he be rumored for the base roster, less would be less skeptic about it.
Lucas and Roy were dlc in smash 4 ;p They're vets but still count, and then you have a character like Corrin who wasn't heard of AT ALL in the west.
In any case DQ is big enough to make millions of sales in japan already. So all in all there isn't really much to say dlc is world-widely sacred and cant have characters that are less known outside japan. And people still know dragon quest quite a bit in the west too.

DQ11 could be represented to some degree too, and that's better spread than persona 5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The difference between these 3 and Erdick is that those were in the base roster. Not DLC. That's why people question Erdick in the first place. Had he been rumored for the base roster, less would be less skeptic about it. I mean Erdick does not sell as much DLC as someone as Sephiroth or Sora. But people would not buy fewer copies just for Erdick if Erdick was in the base roster.
Feel that we had this conversation before. Lets just agree to disagree because lets be honest, we're affected by our own bias regarding character picks. I'm of the opinion that if sales or popularity within the fanbase mattered that much we wouldn't have a few picks like Joker.

Smash introduces a lot of players to new characters so they depend more on how they are presented to the public more than anything.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Lucas and Roy were dlc in smash 4 ;p They're vets but still count, and then you have a character like Corrin who wasn't heard of AT ALL in the west.
In any case DQ is big enough to make millions of sales in japan already. So all in all there isn't really much to say dlc is world-widely sacred and cant have characters that are less known outside japan. And people still know dragon quest quite a bit in the west too.

DQ11 could be represented to some degree too, and that's better spread than persona 5.
Seems like I accidentally brought forth another point... but that’s not it.
What I was referring to is how Marth and Roy were unheard of outside Japan at one point. And Lucas for that matter. Although I had heard of Earthbound 64, I never knew about Lucas until Brawl. (Then again, I didn’t bother searching cause I thought it was a dead game, so it was a surprise to me when he showed up).

I can bet my sweet penny that there are way more DQ fans in the west than Lucas fans pre-Brawl, Marth/Roy fans pre-Melee, and Corrin fans pre Smash 4.

Of course, I have to be fair... we live in the age where you can know things instantly. Back then knowing games from overseas was pretty hard.

(... and it’s not like Erdrick didn’t appear on the NES and Game Boy Color or anything, it’s just that he’s really popular elsewhere)

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Feel that we had this conversation before. Lets just agree to disagree because lets be honest, we're affected by our own bias regarding character picks. I'm of the opinion that if sales or popularity within the fanbase mattered that much we wouldn't have a few picks like Joker.

Smash introduces a lot of players to new characters so they depend more on how they are presented to the public more than anything.

In the end what this boils down to is will Square change their cross promotion patterns for Erdrick. It’s very possible, but it’s something we’ll have to wait and see.

No matter which character from this list makes it(Erdrick, Sora, Sephiroth, Geno) they will all be different than dlc before. With Erdrick it would be the first time Square puts in a character that isn’t globally popular. With Sora it would be the first time a non gaming company is involved in the deal with Nintendo (Disney). With Sephiroth it would be the first time another character from the same game is playable (not including echos). And with Geno it would be the first time Square uses a character they cannot cross promote off of.

So no matter how we look at this, there’s a lot of firsts. I think that’s why trying to figure out who the Square rep is, is so interesting.

While we can use company patterns, or use leakers as evidence. Truth is we don’t know everything, we’re working with a few pieces of the puzzle. The good thing is E3 isn’t that far away and we’ll find out soon!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What I was referring to is how Marth and Roy were unheard of outside Japan at one point. And Lucas for that matter. Although I had heard of Earthbound 64, I never knew about Lucas until Brawl. (Then again, I didn’t bother searching cause I thought it was a dead game, so it was a surprise to me when he showed up).

I can bet my sweet penny that there are way more DQ fans in the west than Lucas fans pre-Brawl, Marth/Roy fans pre-Melee, and Corrin fans pre Smash 4.

Of course, I have to be fair... we live in the age where you can know things instantly. Back then knowing games from overseas was pretty hard.

(... and it’s not like Erdrick didn’t appear on the NES and Game Boy Color or anything, it’s just that he’s really popular elsewhere)
Earthbound 64 never made the light of day. It was canceled and Mother 3 was only released in japan, for gameboy advance.
We only have fan-made english patch that came up later. :/ So yeah, there wouldn't have been any lucas fans besides die hard earthbound fans who kept up with the japanese side.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Zeke.. I wanted the leak to be real. Don´t think any differently. But looking at all cards on the table makes it obvious now as back then that it was fake and the reason people thought it was real was wishful thinking only. Also Jokers fanbase is far more popular world wide than Erdick is in terms of how his fanbase is spread.

First off. I was talking about when they were first introduced into Smash brother. They were all on the base roster. Sure we have Corrin as an example. And look how that reaction turned out. Him being introduced in Smash went so far to be called Corringate for the western fanbase for heaven sake and there is still a ton of hate towards Corrin in the smash community. You would think that Nintendo and Square would have looked at that and say "let´s put him in baseroster" concidering Erdick is a nobody here. A nobody from a company that has Sora or Sepiroth in their dispotial for potential character.
Edit - wtf happen to the post?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's quite a few reasons why I think it doesnt matter. Corrin's game hadn't even released over here. Dragon Quest has been out for a long time. Nintendo doesn't seem to care too much about that feedback. etc.

I especially dont think they care if it's going to please millions of people in japan and hundreds of thousands in the west. ;)

edit: your post might've been messed up if there was an extra 'quote' bracket somewhere

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Morrigan for Smash

I wouldn't object getting Jin. I've only played Tekken a few times in arcade and he was a blast to play. Heihachi is probably the best choise lore-wise, but other Mishimas can arguably bring more to the table.
Agree my friend, honestly even though Heihachi is more known. I think if Namco chooses a Tekken rep Jin or Kazuya would be better. Also after Tekken 7’s ending it makes sense that Namco will want push Jin and Kazuya over Heihachi as they will be the focus of Tekken 8.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There's quite a few reasons why I think it doesnt matter. Corrin's game hadn't even released over here. Dragon Quest has been out for a long time. Nintendo doesn't seem to care too much about that feedback. etc.

I especially dont think they care if it's going to please millions of people in japan and hundreds of thousands in the west. ;)
They do care about feedback. Why do you think we have more third parties on a Nintendo console than we ever had post-Snes era? Why do you think they had the ambassador program for the prime owners of 3DS? Why do you think they made such an effort with the marketing compared to the WII U? But if they have not in this cause, and Erdick gets announced.. be prepared for an Erdick gate because that is more then likely gonna happen then. And I say that as someone that is indifferent to Erdick even though I would be disappointed if its, not Sephiroth or Geno. People are more vocal than ever about their "disappointment" (just look at the Robert Pattinson being the new Batman) more than before, and Smash Bros fanbase is someone that gets easily vocal for nothing. Sure some blowback might have come if he got introduced in the main game.. but that would be far less controversial.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They do care about feedback. Why do you think we have more third parties on a Nintendo console than we ever had post-Snes era? Why do you think they had the ambassador program for the prime owners of 3DS? But if they have not in this cause, and Erdick gets announced.. be prepared for an Erdick gate because that is more then likely gonna happen then. And I say that as someone that is indifferent to Erdick even though I would be disappointed if its, not Sephiroth or Geno. People are more vocal than ever about their "disappointment" more than before, and Smash Bros fanbase is someone that gets easily vocal for nothing.
Because it's good business in general, lol.
But there's more to consider too.

There might be a little bit of being displeased by some, but that always happens when people are invested and obssess.
It's not really as big of a deal, and i think it's exaggerating a lot to look at 1 or a few slots of dlc as as if they have to abide strict rules, to always do what you want. They've done better than before, and they're definitely better at listening to feedback, which made for ultimate actually having more a competitive side, which im so glad about, but they didn't do a perfect job with it either and i find it weird to think of them as having to fit new harsh rules compared to before just because they're better at it.

If they really cared that much about what we say or complain about they would've taken a lot more into account and like showed us more stuff in between joker's reveal and release. just an example but that's the same base of people griping over little things that dont go like they hope.
Just also, they dont have to please everyone with everything.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Because it's good business in general, lol.
But there's more to consider too.

There might be a little bit of being displeased by some, but that always happens when people are invested and obssess.
It's not really as big of a deal, and i think it's exaggerating a lot to look at 1 or a few slots of dlc as as if they have to abide strict rules, to always do what you want. They've done better than before, and they're definitely better at listening to feedback, which made for ultimate actually having more a competitive side, which im so glad about, but they didn't do a perfect job with it either and i find it weird to think of them as having to fit new harsh rules compared to before just because they're better at it.

If they really cared that much about what we say or complain about they would've taken a lot more into account and like showed us more stuff in between joker's reveal and release. just an example but that's the same base of people griping over little things that dont go like they hope.
Just also, they dont have to please everyone with everything.
There is a saying called time it right for the best possible reaction. And put Erdick as DLC is not one of them. Thats what I'm trying to say. You are absolutely right that you can't please everyone. But yeah.... don't be suprised if Erdick becomes the new Corrin because released as DLC and not basegame. Just a heads. I hope I'm wrong though

osby

Smash Obsessed
There is a saying called time it right for the best possible reaction. And put Erdick as DLC is not one of them. Thats what I'm trying to say. You are absolutely right that you can't please everyone. But yeah.... don't be suprised if Erdick becomes the new Corrin because released as DLC and not basegame. Just a heads. I hope I'm wrong though
I mean... Corrin got a lot of flack despite being DLC. Smash fans are very vocal about characters that don't specifically cater to them, I don't think developers should care about negative feedback that much, considering we are talking about the protagonist of the one of the most influential RPGs of all times.

People will cry about "shill picks" and "anime sword fighters" and move on.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the time is as right as any, we got the DQ anniversay coming next week and other stuff.
Big hit in japan regardless and that'll count for quite a bit. Will we have to deal with some bitter people on the boards for a while? maybe, but meanwhile the ones that like the character will enjoy playing it :p and Hopefully people move on quick enough and get more interested in the 3rd dlc than get hung up too much on just 1. But yeah it's hard to tell how it'd be received.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
When it comes to Banjo, my mind says it's 30/70 while my heart says there's no chance. I've been a Banjo fan since the first game came out. I'm kinda used to being burned by now, haha. It's a shame, too, because my other most wanteds have no chance (Shadow) or a 2% chance at best (Geno). Shadow, I can deal with because he at least has stuff to this day, but my other two sons are still left in the dust and unloved, probably forever. :(

I basically have no reason to be hype about the DLC anymore myself. Intrigued is about as good as it gets for me beyond Joker (who, now that I've finished Persona 5, I've concluded was an AMAZING pick).
I'm quite surprised you are this negative towards his chances. I have reason to believe he is extremely likely. I think you should be getting ready for a wonderful experience.

Thankfully, it at least looks like Erdrick is happening. In fact, I'd bet my bottom and top dollar on him happening. If he doesn't happen, I will eat a sheet of toilet paper.
I shall be waiting, and you will livestream it for me. :4pacman:

I would love two DLC reveals, but I really think they will only do one. Smash doesn’t do reveals like Tekken etc. Especially with two third party characters, I really doubt they will show two so close.

Hopefully I’m wrong though!
Look at the timetable. The second DLC should have been revealed a while ago. They are saving two DLCs for E3.

Agreed im honestly more curious who the Namco rep is vs who the Square rep is. I mean its really weird that Namco who helped make Smash Ultimate. Has no echo characters, no costumes to Pacman like Mrs Pacman and no 2nd rep. Im really intrigued who they will choose as their next rep, as its almost a given that they will get a 2nd rep.

View attachment 222357
I made this Strawpoll a while ago. I forgot Klonoa, so I ask for your apologies!!
And Irving got typoed, nice
NAMCO DLC STRAWPOLL

In the end what this boils down to is will Square change their cross promotion patterns for Erdrick. It’s very possible, but it’s something we’ll have to wait and see.

No matter which character from this list makes it(Erdrick, Sora, Sephiroth, Geno) they will all be different than dlc before. With Erdrick it would be the first time Square puts in a character that isn’t globally popular. With Sora it would be the first time a non gaming company is involved in the deal with Nintendo (Disney). With Sephiroth it would be the first time another character from the same game is playable (not including echos). And with Geno it would be the first time Square uses a character they cannot cross promote off of.

So no matter how we look at this, there’s a lot of firsts. I think that’s why trying to figure out who the Square rep is, is so interesting.

While we can use company patterns, or use leakers as evidence. Truth is we don’t know everything, we’re working with a few pieces of the puzzle. The good thing is E3 isn’t that far away and we’ll find out soon!
I've never felt more confident for Sephiroth. It fits the situation and Square's own strategy so perfectly, I'm getting hyped up already!!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Corrin him/herself was obviously not known in the West. But Fire Emblem was. This made the character far easier to add than someone who is a virtual unknown in the West but also DLC. Lucas being a veteran at that point made him well known enough and highly requested. We can't actually say Erdrick was highly requested worldwide, as he isn't known that worldwide. Thanks to Brawl, Lucas is pretty well known worldwide overall in comparison. Now, maybe this is wrong, but they're in different situations and the comparison is overall flawed because of it.

It'd be like having Marth and Roy first added in as DLC. Not the best way to do it to two parts of the world who barely know who they are. That's why them being in base made a lot more sense as is, because it more or less forces them to be front and center enough that people can find out. DLC is optionable. Base is not. I'm aware that Melee didn't have DLC either. So of course, there is still a flaw in this comparison. Keep in mind Lucas was almost not in Brawl for the same reason Marth and Roy were nearly not in the international versions of Melee. Japanese only characters. Erdrick isn't 100% that, but he's pretty damn close. It's also somewhat close to a Takamaru situation, where his game suffers from not having a lot of non-Eastern exposure. Difference is this heavily applies to Erdrick. Dragon Quest as a series fares a lot better, but it's still fairly niche beyond Japan, to the point that many have noted how it's still doing poorly in the US(I don't think it's doing nearly as poorly as people point out, but when people are constantly saying this, that already tells you something about the issue with working with the series). That said, this also makes me prefer to have a more known DQ character like Slime instead(being the mascot also helps). He's an excellent pick for the series, with Erdrick being the other excellent pick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Corrin him/herself was obviously not known in the West. But Fire Emblem was. This made the character far easier to add than someone who is a virtual unknown in the West but also DLC. Lucas being a veteran at that point made him well known enough and highly requested. We can't actually say Erdrick was highly requested worldwide, as he isn't known that worldwide. Thanks to Brawl, Lucas is pretty well known worldwide overall in comparison. Now, maybe this is wrong, but they're in different situations and the comparison is overall flawed because of it.

It'd be like having Marth and Roy first added in as DLC. Not the best way to do it to two parts of the world who barely know who they are. That's why them being in base made a lot more sense as is, because it more or less forces them to be front and center enough that people can find out. DLC is optionable. Base is not. I'm aware that Melee didn't have DLC either. So of course, there is still a flaw in this comparison. Keep in mind Lucas was almost not in Brawl for the same reason Marth and Roy were nearly not in the international versions of Melee. Japanese only characters. Erdrick isn't 100% that, but he's pretty damn close. It's also somewhat close to a Takamaru situation, where his game suffers from not having a lot of non-Eastern exposure. Difference is this heavily applies to Erdrick. Dragon Quest as a series fares a lot better, but it's still fairly niche beyond Japan, to the point that many have noted how it's still doing poorly in the US(I don't think it's doing nearly as poorly as people point out, but when people are constantly saying this, that already tells you something about the issue with working with the series). That said, this also makes me prefer to have a more known DQ character like Slime instead(being the mascot also helps). He's an excellent pick for the series, with Erdrick being the other excellent pick.
If anything it means that people grow to like the characters worldwide when they're put in smash. people will see the character around online and in tournaments even if they havent bought it themselves and that can be enough. Especially if the character is fun.
And Lucas is from a game that wasnt even outside of japan. On the other hand DQ3 was around in the west.
And Dragon Quest is still decently big in the west, as much or more than persona. I dont think it'd be considered niche by most gamers.
People use all sorts of points to try to debate against something they dont want, and you're just doing the same. It's getting tiresome and i dont know if i should just ignore posts like that but i also dont like people going around and exaggerating some things.

Also, Ness was going to be replaced by lucas.

"When Masahiro Sakurai updated the original Smabura-Ken with Ness's profile on July 17th, 2001, he said that Lucas was meant to replace Ness as a playable character, but Ness was included due to time constraints, and likely due to the cancellation in 1999 of EarthBound 64, the first version of Mother 3 that had been worked on. "

and with that. I'll lay off responding and debating for a while, and focus a bit more on what i enjoy. ;p

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean... Corrin got a lot of flack despite being DLC. Smash fans are very vocal about characters that don't specifically cater to them, I don't think developers should care about negative feedback that much, considering we are talking about the protagonist of the one of the most influential RPGs of all times.

People will cry about "shill picks" and "anime sword fighters" and move on.
He got flack cause he was DLC. Had he been the only FE added to ultimate, and added to the roster from the base, it would never be a Corrin gate to begin with. Yes FE fanbase generally hates him after playing the game, but he would have been more welcomed by the smash community if introduced in ultimates base roster.

I think the time is as right as any, we got the DQ anniversay coming next week and other stuff.
Big hit in japan regardless and that'll count for quite a bit. Will we have to deal with some bitter people on the boards for a while? maybe, but meanwhile the ones that like the character will enjoy playing it :p and Hopefully people move on quick enough and get more interested in the 3rd dlc than get hung up too much on just 1. But yeah it's hard to tell how it'd be received.
With that argument, Joker should have been revealed at the anniversary/concert Atlus had for Persona. And no it's not hard to tell how it be received with all things considered. But for you and every other DQ fan, I hope I´m wrong. if Erdick would get in

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If anything it means that people grow to like the characters worldwide when they're put in smash. people will see the character around online and in tournaments even if they havent bought it themselves and that can be enough. Especially if the character is fun.
And Lucas is from a game that wasnt even translated. On the other hand DQ3 was. And Dragon Quest is still decently big in the west, as much or more than persona. I dont think it'd be considered niche by most gamers.
People use all sorts of points to try to debate against something they dont want, and you're just doing the same. It's getting tiresome and i dont know if i should just ignore posts like that but i also dont like people going around and exaggerating some things.

Also, Ness was almost not in brawl, and was going to be replaced by lucas.

"When Masahiro Sakurai updated the original Smabura-Ken with Ness's profile on July 17th, 2001, he said that Lucas was meant to replace Ness as a playable character, but Ness was included due to time constraints, and likely due to the cancellation in 1999 of EarthBound 64, the first version of Mother 3 that had been worked on. "

and with that. I'll lay off responding and debating for a while, because it's not exactly the most fun. ;p
I was already aware of the Ness/Lucas Melee thing, but that wasn't relevant to any of the points I was making. Still a good thing people should know. If only cause people shouldn't be surprised if they remove one of the original 12 in a reboot or something.

And no, I am "not doing the same thing". I realize DQ is rather niche and still harder to sell a character via DLC than many other games. This is a factor businesses take into account. It can be them easily going for a far more worldwide approach. If Nintendo absolutely wants to make DQ more known, I could see them choosing Slime or Erdrick. But we can't say that is their goal. They're already doing a wonderful job selling it to people via their own directs. Smash isn't a necessary thing to achieve that. Smash is useful for helping spread the word, but it's silly to pretend that's always their goal with franchises. Some they just find interesting to put in. DQ having a huge legacy is a pretty good reason for it to be in Smash. Advertising is a pretty eh reason and ignoring more important stuff to begin with, like, you know, their legacy.

Going to be frank, DQ isn't nearly as big in the West as people make it. It's not super niche/obscure or anything, but it's still absolutely niche. It's not as well known as people keep saying. I wish it was, but it isn't. There's many who doesn't know what it is, and that makes sense. It's not like it's been pushed heavily till recently alone. There's a small bit of trailers, but the latest direct to mention it was the first time in ages it got a major amount of screentime and pushing. Before that, it's been very lackluster. Which is part of why it had trouble selling. People didn't know what it was. It required tons of advertising, especially when old rpg's aren't as popular to many newer fans. Some hate random encounters. The game series has to change it up to get more people interested, as the basic Random Encounters was making them lose more sales than gain them. To no surprise, some people prefer to see who they can avoid instead(not my personal preference, but I fully get why it's more popular lately).

Again, Lucas and Erdrick are just not comparable at all. It's not just about translations. It's about the fact one was 1st party, was intended to be in but even Sakurai wasn't sure of using him due to the lack of translations. The thing is? That has nothing to do with Erdrick's issues. Edrick is a virtual unknown in the West. This is an issue for DLC when it's his first time getting in. This makes it hard for people to want him. Corrin got a lot of backlash due to this alone(though a decent amount of sales, but being yet another Fire Emblem character means people at least knew what the series was far more. Fire Emblem is more mainstream in the West than DQ is by far. One is definitely not niche in comparison). DQ isn't niche in Japan, mind you. Everywhere else? Definitely. It's not like 1st party series in many ways. Trying to compare it to unique 1st party situations, where he was already hesitant on adding virtual unknowns(unless they're retro) only further hurts Erdrick's case. He's still in a bad position, with the only thing actually reasonably going for him is some iffy leakers right now. Brave is just too damn impossible to tell to use it as remote evidence in his favor. As pointed out, his stats and abilities can fit others like Banjo. I'm not saying Brave is more likely to be Banjo, but the stats are tangible but not very useful evidence right now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ehm..thats entirely my point. He got flack cause he was DLC. Had he been the only FE added to ultimate, and added to the roster from the base, it would never be a Corrin gate to begin with.

With that argument, Joker should have been revealed at the anniversary/concert Atlus had for Persona. And no it's not hard to tell how it be received with all things considered. But for you and every other DQ fan, I hope I´m wrong. if Erdick would get in
Like I said I really dont think it'd be a big deal like that. And all I said is that it's a good time for it. Joker was a surprise announcement there. Nothing wrong with that either.

Erdrick isn't very well known here but he's still a dragon quest hero, and an important one. Dragon Quest would not be considered niche. That's just not the case. (and it depends what youre comparing to)
And besides saying that, I said I'd be stepping away, so I wont be handling anything else. People can think certain things but why push on it when it's in a grey line? Why push a point like that and try to continue a debate when you dont have to? Why not let it be or focus on more fun conversations than some tug o war? Anyway, that's me being a bit tired of this. later.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Like I said I really dont think it'd be a big deal like that. And all I said is that it's a good time for it. Joker was a surprise announcement there. Nothing wrong with that either.

Erdrick isn't very well known here but he's still a dragon quest hero, and an important one. Dragon Quest would not be considered niche. That's just not the case.
And besides saying that, I said I'd be stepping away, so I wont be handling anything else. People can think certain things but why push on it when it's in a grey line? Why push a point like that and try to continue a debate when you dont have to? Why not let it be or focus on more fun conversations than some tug o war? Anyway, that's me being a bit tired of this. later.
And I say that it is a big deal because people see DLC as the endgame for characters they want in. Its even a tighter endgame considering we don´t even know if we are getting second fighters to pass or not. I get why you want him and all that jazz as well as the rest of the DQ fans here, and I get why Sakurai would put a DQ character in if the leak is real. But that doesn´t change the fact that there will be an "Erdickgate" more than likely (I go so far to say 99%) because of being revealed as DLC for the reason I stated above. Especially when he would be a rep from the same studio that has Sephiroth and more importantly Sora.

This is not meant as a tug of war. This is my trying to give you all a heads up because I feel that y´ all are a bit naive in terms of how well he will be received at first. And I say that as someone that is sick of hearing constantly on social media on how Nintendo would be better if Fire Emblem pooped out of existence because of Corrin... aka which makes timing to release a character more important than you think

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Well all I know is if Erdrick is announced, and I lose my bet to GoeGoe GoeGoe . I’ll keep my word and change my profile picture to King Slime. It may not be as an intense bet as Ovaltine Ovaltine has going on with eating some paper. However I don’t want to lose ha.

Edit: To liven up the mood who else has some bets going on? And what will you do if you lose your bet?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Those are excellent points. Hadn’t looked at it that way.

If I had to make a guess on how “safe” these characters would be, on both sales and longer term profit, then I would say Sephie is the safest.
Let’s see... music issues... leaker credibility...
Nah, now it’s time to bring up lack of western appeal/popularity.
And this aged like the finest of wines.
You people are so predictable.

And Random battles haven’t been a thing in DQ for over 10 years now.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Well all I know is if Erdrick is announced, and I lose my bet to GoeGoe GoeGoe . I’ll keep my word and change my profile picture to King Slime. It may not be as an intense bet as Ovaltine Ovaltine has going on with eating some paper. However I don’t want to lose ha.

Edit: To liven up the mood who else has some bets going on? And what will you do if you lose your bet?
I have no bets going on... Last time I did a bet, it forced me to rewatch End of Evangelion and Tokyo Revelation back to back... That was a... weird day to say the least.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was already aware of the Ness/Lucas Melee thing, but that wasn't relevant to any of the points I was making. Still a good thing people should know. If only cause people shouldn't be surprised if they remove one of the original 12 in a reboot or something.

And no, I am "not doing the same thing". I realize DQ is rather niche and still harder to sell a character via DLC than many other games. This is a factor businesses take into account. It can be them easily going for a far more worldwide approach. If Nintendo absolutely wants to make DQ more known, I could see them choosing Slime or Erdrick. But we can't say that is their goal. They're already doing a wonderful job selling it to people via their own directs. Smash isn't a necessary thing to achieve that. Smash is useful for helping spread the word, but it's silly to pretend that's always their goal with franchises. Some they just find interesting to put in. DQ having a huge legacy is a pretty good reason for it to be in Smash. Advertising is a pretty eh reason and ignoring more important stuff to begin with, like, you know, their legacy.

Going to be frank, DQ isn't nearly as big in the West as people make it. It's not super niche/obscure or anything, but it's still absolutely niche. It's not as well known as people keep saying. I wish it was, but it isn't. There's many who doesn't know what it is, and that makes sense. It's not like it's been pushed heavily till recently alone. There's a small bit of trailers, but the latest direct to mention it was the first time in ages it got a major amount of screentime and pushing. Before that, it's been very lackluster. Which is part of why it had trouble selling. People didn't know what it was. It required tons of advertising, especially when old rpg's aren't as popular to many newer fans. Some hate random encounters. The game series has to change it up to get more people interested, as the basic Random Encounters was making them lose more sales than gain them. To no surprise, some people prefer to see who they can avoid instead(not my personal preference, but I fully get why it's more popular lately).

Again, Lucas and Erdrick are just not comparable at all. It's not just about translations. It's about the fact one was 1st party, was intended to be in but even Sakurai wasn't sure of using him due to the lack of translations. The thing is? That has nothing to do with Erdrick's issues. Edrick is a virtual unknown in the West. This is an issue for DLC when it's his first time getting in. This makes it hard for people to want him. Corrin got a lot of backlash due to this alone(though a decent amount of sales, but being yet another Fire Emblem character means people at least knew what the series was far more. Fire Emblem is more mainstream in the West than DQ is by far. One is definitely not niche in comparison). DQ isn't niche in Japan, mind you. Everywhere else? Definitely. It's not like 1st party series in many ways. Trying to compare it to unique 1st party situations, where he was already hesitant on adding virtual unknowns(unless they're retro) only further hurts Erdrick's case. He's still in a bad position, with the only thing actually reasonably going for him is some iffy leakers right now. Brave is just too damn impossible to tell to use it as remote evidence in his favor. As pointed out, his stats and abilities can fit others like Banjo. I'm not saying Brave is more likely to be Banjo, but the stats are tangible but not very useful evidence right now.
I guess this is mostly directed at me since I brought the comparison of Lucas and Marth/Roy, so ok, it’d be rude of me not to respond.

Before anything, that was simply stating the fact that Sakurai is no stranger to including characters from Japanese IPs, let alone worldwide ips that are more popular over there.

But this little comment seems to have been met with nothing but fan rules and speculation stated as fact.

Also, you seem to assume a lot of things.
Edrick is a virtual unknown in the West. This is an issue for DLC when it's his first time getting in. This makes it hard for people to want him. Corrin got a lot of backlash due to this alone(
This alone? Are you sure it wasn’t because... I don’t know... he was the 6th Fire
Emblem swordsman in Smash? It even became a meme, for crying out loud, and it goes on today.
Sakurai has dropped lesser known characters all the time, since the first game where Ness was a literal who. So no. Any way people try to spin that Erdrick is anything like Corrin, is profoundly mistaken. I would even bet that BY NOW people already know who he is and where he’s from.

You’re leaving out how Nintendo publishes Dragon Quest games, and how it’s a better longer term deal than any of the other acclaimed characters. Is there a KH game coming to Switch yet? Is FFXV or XVI coming to Switch?
Spreading the word IS selling more. It IS something they would want to do.
DQ has been religiously coming to Nintendo consoles and handhelds for a while now. Again, DQ even has specific logo alterations for when it’s somehow collaborated between Nintendo and Square-Enix.

You make it sound much more dire than it is.
Reality is, Nintendo loves DQ. They publish their games. JApanese developers love DQ. Heck even Sakurai loves it, he even has a picture with the DQ staff.
It was just too inspirational to them. You think they’re going to throw that out cause of some angry commenters?
Ultimate is already the highest selling game, the Switch already surpassed Xbox and PS4, probably as they thought they would. They CAN afford the luxury, and some angry little mob isn’t going to change a thing.

And yeah, DQ might be niche, but it is as niche as Persona. If not less.

And I’ll repeat myself here.

Corrin had MANY factors which made him be the most hated inclusion.
- 6th Fire Emblem character
- 6th Sword based FE character
- 2nd FE DLC character.
- Promotional character.
- Unknown In the west.

And the latter, I’m willing to bet was the tamest of reasons to why he was hated. And I’m far from a FE fan, but I do hear that his game was one of the worst, so, yet another reason.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

Tell me about this bet that I apparently had the great misfortune to miss out on

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I guess this is mostly directed at me since I brought the comparison of Lucas and Marth/Roy, so ok, it’d be rude of me not to respond.

Before anything, that was simply stating the fact that Sakurai is no stranger to including characters from Japanese IPs, let alone worldwide ips that are more popular over there.

But this little comment seems to have been met with nothing but fan rules and speculation stated as fact.

This alone? Are you sure it wasn’t because... I don’t know... he was the 6th Fire
Emblem swordsman in Smash? It even became a meme, for crying out loud, and it goes on today.
Sakurai has dropped lesser known characters all the time, since the first game where Ness was a literal who. So no. Any way people try to spin that Erdrick is anything like Corrin, is profoundly mistaken. I would even bet that BY NOW people already know who he is and where he’s from.

You’re leaving out how Nintendo publishes Dragon Quest games, and how it’s a better longer term deal than any of the other acclaimed characters. Is there a KH game coming to Switch yet? Is FFXV or XVI coming to Switch?
DQ has been religiously coming to Nintendo consoles and handhelds for a while now. Again, DQ even has specific logo alterations for when it’s somehow collaborated between Nintendo and Square-Enix.

Reality is, Nintendo loves DQ. They publish their games. JApanese developers love DQ. Heck even Sakurai loves it, he even has a picture with the DQ staff.
It was just too inspirational to them. You think they’re going to throw that out cause of some angry commenters?
Ultimate is already the highest selling game, the Switch already surpassed Xbox and PS4, probably as they thought they would. They CAN afford the luxury, and some angry little mob isn’t going to change a thing.

- 2nd FE DLC character.
- Promotional character.
- Unknown In the west.

And the latter, I’m willing to bet was the tamest of reasons to why he was hated. And I’m far from a FE fan, but I do hear that his game was one of the worst, so, yet another reason.
Let´s hope your right

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

- 2nd FE DLC character.
- Promotional character.
- Unknown In the west.

I'm not even going to bother to try to pick this apart entirely. Because there's a lot of huge flaws in what you said.

First, yes, the situation is dire because it doesn't matter if Nintendo likes promoting DQ or not. It wouldn't be the inherent causation of using Erdrick. He is still unknown in the West. This is where the comparison to Lucas isn't good. If Lucas was first going to get in as DLC, he'd be very risky. But because Nintendo owns him, they don't spend a giant amount of money to acquire the character. This is the opposite for Erdrick. He's absolutely more risky than Corrin, who was already risky to begin with. What you completely removed in context, and a very important point, is that Fire Emblem is far more mainstream than Dragon Quest is as a whole. This means a FE character wouldn't be as "surprising" or nearly as risky. I agree the choice for a 6th FE character is a problem too, but that wasn't even remotely the point I was getting at. Which again, you entirely ignored. I didn't bring up those points because there was a reason Corrin also sold overall fairly well. The risk paid off because they at least were using a 1st party franchise. If it didn't pay off, it'd be a fairly small loss compared to the huge amount of licensing needed. That was the actual point I was getting at. I didn't mention licensing yet, so I can see why that was misunderstood. I should've specified that more. However, the fact you keep cutting out pieces of my post to completely read over the point is kind of an issue here.

"(though a decent amount of sales, but being yet another Fire Emblem character means people at least knew what the series was far more. Fire Emblem is more mainstream in the West than DQ is by far. One is definitely not niche in comparison)" was a pretty important point being made. I was not even getting at why Corrin was an actual problem in itself. I didn't list the other stuff because it wasn't relevant to the actual point I was making. The point I was even making is how he was not risky, not why he was an arguably bad pick. I don't know if you misunderstood, but please stop cherrypicking my posts. That's not fair and vastly paints my argument different from what it actually is.

I'm not going to argue whether Persona is more niche or not. But that wasn't the comparison I was making. What I was saying that DQ was niche in the West, but also that when it came to literal whos, the DLC rosters also came from either a more mainstream franchise(Fire Emblem) or were a veteran with a huge amount of fan demand(I did not entirely mention the fan demand part, so my bad on that). I definitely didn't say a lot of this clear enough, and I apologize for that.

I won't go into the reasons why Corrin wasn't popular, though. That had nothing to actually do with what I said. But I will say you beyond misread my point about Random Encounters. Unless you were literally just saying "here's something you didn't say about it" like with the Corrin thing(though again, I wasn't actually making a point about why Corrin was bad, but why he was risky. The other points you mentioned are absolutely true, too. I just didn't see it as majorly relevant to the point of it being risky either. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with Erdrick supposed being more acceptable than Corrin. I disagree, of course), it looked more like you were making a snide comment while missing that I was praising their updates to the random encounter formula. I admit the way I went about it was backhanded praise, but it looks like the point was missed. So I'll say it a bit more clearly; DQ got more popular because they updated how Random Encounters work. I like that it helped the series do better, even if I prefer the old style.

I hope that clears up where the confusion was. Cause I definitely said some confusing points and I apologize for that.

It really wasn't towards you directly. More of a call out to a lot of poor comparisons since 1st parties and 3rd parties are entirely different beasts for DLC. Was more of a general statement. I didn't even reply to you earlier either. I guess you could consider it that it looked like I was throwing arguments you made into there. I apologize for the misunderstanding of that too.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Definitely not as niche as Persona, no. It may be niche in the West, but the fact that it's a phenomenon in the East says a lot. Persona has pretty equal-standing worldwide by comparison.

Tell me about this bet that I apparently had the great misfortune to miss out on
If Erdrick doesn't make it to Smash, I am going to eat a sheet of toilet paper.

The trees tremble outside.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not even going to bother to try to pick this apart entirely. Because there's a lot of huge flaws in what you said.

First, yes, the situation is dire because it doesn't matter if Nintendo likes promoting DQ or not. It wouldn't be the inherent causation of using Erdrick. He is still unknown in the West. This is where the comparison to Lucas isn't good. If Lucas was first going to get in as DLC, he'd be very risky. But because Nintendo owns him, they don't spend a giant amount of money to acquire the character. This is the opposite for Erdrick. He's absolutely more risky than Corrin, who was already risky to begin with. What you completely removed in context, and a very important point, is that Fire Emblem is far more mainstream than Dragon Quest is as a whole. This means a FE character wouldn't be as "surprising" or nearly as risky. I agree the choice for a 6th FE character is a problem too, but that wasn't even remotely the point I was getting at. Which again, you entirely ignored. I didn't bring up those points because there was a reason Corrin also sold overall fairly well. The risk paid off because they at least were using a 1st party franchise. If it didn't pay off, it'd be a fairly small loss compared to the huge amount of licensing needed. That was the actual point I was getting at. I didn't mention licensing yet, so I can see why that was misunderstood. I should've specified that more. However, the fact you keep cutting out pieces of my post to completely read over the point is kind of an issue here.

"(though a decent amount of sales, but being yet another Fire Emblem character means people at least knew what the series was far more. Fire Emblem is more mainstream in the West than DQ is by far. One is definitely not niche in comparison)" was a pretty important point being made. I was not even getting at why Corrin was an actual problem in itself. I didn't list the other stuff because it wasn't relevant to the actual point I was making. The point I was even making is how he was not risky, not why he was an arguably bad pick. I don't know if you misunderstood, but please stop cherrypicking my posts. That's not fair and vastly paints my argument different from what it actually is.

I'm not going to argue whether Persona is more niche or not. But that wasn't the comparison I was making. What I was saying that DQ was niche in the West, but also that when it came to literal whos, the DLC rosters also came from either a more mainstream franchise(Fire Emblem) or were a veteran with a huge amount of fan demand(I did not entirely mention the fan demand part, so my bad on that). I definitely didn't say a lot of this clear enough, and I apologize for that.

I won't go into the reasons why Corrin wasn't popular, though. That had nothing to actually do with what I said. But I will say you beyond misread my point about Random Encounters. Unless you were literally just saying "here's something you didn't say about it" like with the Corrin thing(though again, I wasn't actually making a point about why Corrin was bad, but why he was risky. The other points you mentioned are absolutely true, too. I just didn't see it as majorly relevant to the point of it being risky either. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from with Erdrick supposed being more acceptable than Corrin. I disagree, of course), it looked more like you were making a snide comment while missing that I was praising their updates to the random encounter formula. I admit the way I went about it was backhanded praise, but it looks like the point was missed. So I'll say it a bit more clearly; DQ got more popular because they updated how Random Encounters work. I like that it helped the series do better, even if I prefer the old style.

I hope that clears up where the confusion was. Cause I definitely said some confusing points and I apologize for that.

It really wasn't towards you directly. More of a call out to a lot of poor comparisons since 1st parties and 3rd parties are entirely different beasts for DLC. Was more of a general statement. I didn't even reply to you earlier either. I guess you could consider it that it looked like I was throwing arguments you made into there. I apologize for the misunderstanding of that too.
You seem to be under the impression that licensing wouldn't naturally be part of the agreements between nintendo and SE. You have to remember that this is dlc and it would typically be about giving a cut of the profits.

I'm trying to think of something else to talk about for this thread. I'm sure there's loads of stuff..

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You seem to be under the impression that licensing wouldn't naturally be part of the agreements between nintendo and SE. You have to remember that this is dlc and it would typically be about giving a cut of the profits.

I'm trying to think of something else to talk about for this thread. I'm sure there's loads of stuff..
That has nothing to do with the risks of using a literal who in the West for a 3rd party DLC. Remember, they want to be sure they'd get sales. Erdrick is a risky choice if they aren't sure he'll sell. With DQ being niche in the West, that already makes sales less likely. Those two factors together make him a choice you need to be careful about.

Not saying he's "unlikely" either. I can fully see them still going with him due to how important he is to the series. This just shows he's not some obvious lock and that we can't be sure it'd work out. These are important business factors that should not be ignored.

And no, I am not saying any of this because I prefer Slime. I just prefer Slime because I have way more love and experience for the gooey monster~

Ovaltine

Smash Master
And no, I am not saying any of this because I prefer Slime. I just prefer Slime because I have way more love and experience for the gooey monster~

Being perfectly fair, it is really hard to combat this absolute cuteness. Look at them go!! I hope they have a good day today.

Top Bottom