• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is it looking bleak for geno ? Be honest
Very much so, I'm afraid. I'd give him like a 5% chance if we get Erdrick. His prospects may look better with misc. DLC or future waves, but right now, it looks pretty bad.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yup. But hey, there’s always a next game!
Errrgh, next game... I hope not, because goodness knows when we'll get another Smash. I don't know if I'll even be around to be able to see it. :dr-_-: I'm hoping for further DLC support.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I hope you guys are okay. I don't know the context of what you're saying, but considering the context of what I was saying, that's... concerning. If you need anyone to talk to, my lines are open.
Do you? You were the one to state the original context after all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Do you? You were the one to state the original context after all.
It's nothing anyone can help and I'd rather keep the nitty-gritty to myself, but thank you. I've pretty much vented the most that I'm willing to.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's nothing anyone can help and I'd rather keep the nitty-gritty to myself, but thank you. I've pretty much vented the most that I'm willing to.
Fair enough. Just make sure you take care of yourself the best you can, whatever it is.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Has something solid and new surfaced or something that I missed? Otherwise I don't understand this constant shift of stances regarding a particular character's chances. It's almost as if some people here are bipolar or something, lol. But I guess that's not new around here...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Has something solid and new surfaced or something that I missed? Otherwise I don't understand this constant shift of stances regarding a particular character's chances. It's almost as if some people here are bipolar or something, lol. But I guess that's not new around here...
If you mean Erdrick, there's not been much development apart from the discovery of shield parameters equivalent to Snake on 'brave'. I think it's just the drought of info has people thinking and being skeptical or something?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am sure we will get something solid to talk about by the end of the month at least.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Errrgh, next game... I hope not, because goodness knows when we'll get another Smash. I don't know if I'll even be around to be able to see it. :dr-_-: I'm hoping for further DLC support.
...How old are you, 60 or something?

Cause that's honestly what it feels like the context of what you are saying. I'm 35 myself, so I doubt I'll be around for three Smash games by now. Or at least able to play 'em.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
...How old are you, 60 or something?

Cause that's honestly what it feels like the context of what you are saying. I'm 35 myself, so I doubt I'll be around for three Smash games by now. Or at least able to play 'em.
Oh, no, no. I'm quite young, actually. 26. I just don't know how long I'll end up lasting with my health kinda in the gutter, you know?

It'd be cool if I could live happy and healthy 'til I'm 60, though, haha!

EDIT: Adding that I really don't want to talk about my health anymore, though, especially not here. I kinda regret bringing it up under the heat of feeling kinda low. I wasn't thinking properly. Apologies for that.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If you mean Erdrick, there's not been much development apart from the discovery of shield parameters equivalent to Snake on 'brave'. I think it's just the drought of info has people thinking and being skeptical or something?
I've seen it happen since I joined last year. Isaac had it, even sometimes happened in the Geno fanbase too… literally constant changes of stances regarding a character's chances with literally no new info to make such change of stance happen. I sometimes wonder if the King K rool fans were like that before they got their character, I never payed attention to that fanbase but I'm curious… I really have to encourage people to stop giving up for no reason so constantly lol. If there was like solid info coming out possibly debunking a character's chances, I would understand, but it's definitely not like that and people are still giving up and then supporting again, then giving up again, literally for no reason lol.

Calane

Smash Ace
...I don't want to assume, but are you referring to me with that "bipolar" comment by any chance?

Due to some of the posts I was reading, I was under the impression people thought I was treating Erdrick as if he were 100% confirmed or something. I made that recent post to rectify that. I am not 100% confident Erdrick is going to make it, but I do think his chances are looking very good. I could run down the reasons why like I always do, but you never know what the future holds. Everything makes sense for Erdrick to be the one (in my opinion), but there's still a good chance that we're going to get someone else. I was simply acknowledging that fact, which was something I felt I didn't do very much.

I personally think Erdrick has a great shot at making it in, but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. It's good to consider other possibilities than just the one you want, you know? That's all I was doing.

I'm not giving up hope until the very end, but I acknowledge that I might not get the happy ending I desire. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
...I don't want to assume, but are you referring to me with that "bipolar" comment by any chance?

Due to some of the posts I was reading, I was under the impression people thought I was treating Erdrick as if he were 100% confirmed or something. I made that recent post to rectify that. I am not 100% confident Erdrick is going to make it, but I do think his chances are looking very good. I could run down the reasons why like I always do, but you never know what the future holds. Everything makes sense for Erdrick to be the one (in my opinion), but there's still a good chance that we're going to get someone else. I was simply acknowledging that fact, which was something I felt I didn't do very much.

I personally think Erdrick has a great shot at making it in, but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. It's good to consider other possibilities than just the one you want, you know? That's all I was doing.

I'm not giving up hope until the very end, but I acknowledge that I might not get the happy ending I desire. Hope that makes sense.
Personally, I didn't interpret it that way. It's always good to temper your expectations, but when things are looking up so much, it can be hard not to get excited. You're self-aware, though, so I think that's a good mentality to have.

I believe it's definitely Erdrick. In my heart, he's practically confirmed, mainly because I'd rather keep my expectations as low as possible for my preferred rep (Geno). I can see why you have reservations, though. I hope you get your guy, and maybe down the line, I'll be able to join in the hype of getting my most-wanted in, as well.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

If you read my reply to Ovaltine right above, it's a general thing that I've been noticing for a while now. It's not a specific fanbase thing, it's happening with many supported characters.

I just got confirmation on discord from a friend that said that King K rool fans weren't like that as far as he can recall, so I wonder… why can't people simply learn from them? They got their character, I think everyone here could learn a thing of two from staying true to their desired character. Even when Verge said "No DK characters" because he got BAD information, that served as proof that it's really hard to have a reason to give up on a character, you never know what's gonna happen and you might actually get your character if you remain loud and loyal to your wishes :) That's all. Again, this wasn't something that sprouted from anyone specific here, if there was any timming with that, it just serves as proof that it's something happening way too often as I initially stated, across "many" other supported characters.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If you read my reply to Ovaltine right above, it's a general thing that I've been noticing for a while now. It's not a specific fanbase thing, it's happening with many supported characters.

I just got confirmation on discord from a friend that said that King K rool fans weren't like that as far as he can recall, so I wonder… why can't people simply learn from them? They got their character, I think everyone here could learn a thing of two from staying true to their desired character. Even when Verge said "No DK characters" because he got BAD information, that served as proof that it's really hard to have a reason to give up on a character, you never know what's gonna happen and you might actually get your character if you remain loud and loyal to your wishes :) That's all. Again, this wasn't something that sprouted from anyone specific here, if there was any timming with that, it just serves as proof that it's something happening way too often as I initially stated, across "many" other supported characters.
Yeah, I was a Kampaigner, and at least in my experience, we remained loud, but our expectations were super low. You can even see the old Kutthroat thread for K. Rool before the August direct. Even with what seemed like hope on the horizon, people thought K. Rool was super unlikely, not happening, etc., only for us to get our guy on that fateful day. 8.8, as far as I'm concerned, is officially King K. Rool Day in my eyes.

So, in my perspective, we didn't really have any fluctuation. We always had low hopes. We just never gave up. It probably varies then. In terms of Erdrick and Geno in particular, though, there has been a lot of fluctuation. Geno's case has hit a really rock bottom state at this point, but I'm trying to cling to that residual shred of hope that's left. He and Banjo are the only characters I want now, and they're the ones who are gonna make-or-break this DLC cycle for me. Considering the odds are so against them both, it's a pretty lame situation to be in, but what can ya do, I guess.

Calane

Smash Ace
Personally, I didn't interpret it that way. It's always good to temper your expectations, but when things are looking up so much, it can be hard not to get excited. You're self-aware, though, so I think that's a good mentality to have.

I believe it's definitely Erdrick. In my heart, he's practically confirmed, mainly because I'd rather keep my expectations as low as possible for my preferred rep (Geno). I can see why you have reservations, though. I hope you get your guy, and maybe down the line, I'll be able to join in the hype of getting my most-wanted in, as well.
Thanks, I also hope you get your guy. The best-case scenario would be both Erdrick and Geno making it in together, lol. Wouldn't that be something.

Last edited:

TUNDRA IV

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
I hope you guys are okay. I don't know the context of what you're saying, but considering the context of what I was saying, that's... concerning. If you need anyone to talk to, my lines are open.
Just a disappointment more than anything . Until smash 6 lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Reading some of the comments after my most recent post, I just wanted to say that I apologize if I ever came off as thinking Erdrick was 100% happening. I never meant to come off that way. I'm just trying to rationalize reasons for why it could happen. You know, trying to be positive and all that. I'm fully aware that it may not happen, and that there are other characters SE are probably more likely to choose.

Dragon Quest in Smash has been sort of a pipe dream for me. It's something I never thought would happen, and I was honestly expecting to get thrown out of this race a long time ago. The fact that things have progressed this far, and that DQ seems likely at all, is extremely crazy for me. That said, I have not won yet, and it's very likely that I'll find myself applauding the fanbase of some other character by the end of all this.

Again, sorry if I came off as overconfident or anything like that. There's a good chance Erdrick isn't the SE rep, and I have to prepare myself for that possibility. I've become so invested in the idea of seeing DQ in Smash that I fear I won't take it very well if it doesn't happen. I'd love, and I mean love for Erdrick to be the rumored SE rep, but it's usually when things seem to be going my way when I get the most uneasy.

In any case, good luck to all the supporters of Geno, Sora, Sephiroth, and every other possible SE rep! Don't lose hope for your character, and I'll try not to lose hope for mine. Everyone's still got a chance, and I can't wait to finally see who it is (if there's an SE rep at all).
I was the same way in that it was almost more nerve wracking to feel like the chances are high since it could still be false hope and I'd end up pretty disappointed. I'm more comfortable with whatever happens when i look at it like a 50/50 (even if i think the chances are higher), because it reminds me of the openness i had before really setting on wanting the character in. Might be a bit more to it. But it's ok whatever happens, and I'll still be really happy if we do get them in. Maybe a bit of disappointment if not, but i already have to process some, so it's not that much different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've seen it happen since I joined last year. Isaac had it, even sometimes happened in the Geno fanbase too… literally constant changes of stances regarding a character's chances with literally no new info to make such change of stance happen. I sometimes wonder if the King K rool fans were like that before they got their character, I never payed attention to that fanbase but I'm curious… I really have to encourage people to stop giving up for no reason so constantly lol. If there was like solid info coming out possibly debunking a character's chances, I would understand, but it's definitely not like that and people are still giving up and then supporting again, then giving up again, literally for no reason lol.
Oh dude I am legitimately nervous over Erdrick not getting in. I'm fairly confident he'll be in given what we know so far, but I felt the same way over the Grinch leak. It's a case of "I'll see it before I believe it." Granted, the Grinch leak didn't have the backing of insiders/leakers, specifically Tansut and Vergeben, so it's not completely parallel with each other. At most, I'm making an intuitive guess that Erdrick will be in because everything lines up in my head.

My issue is that it's not 100% and anyone who played Fire Emblem can understand how much less than 100% means when the chips are on the table. It only takes 1% to miss a crucial hit, if you get me.

E: Practically speaking, I don't see much reason to be nervous because it's not like Sakurai and his men in suits are going to knock on my door and break my knees if I'm wrong. It's Smash Bros; I'll always have fun with it. I'd just really like to see Dragon Quest in because it's similar to how I feel about King K. Rool. It makes so much sense and it would be cool to see. Here's to waiting and seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If we're talking about how people feel about Erdrick, they're likely backing out because the leaked info concerning him has been called into question and to those who originally thought it a certainty are seeing history repeat itself in many forms and taking necessary caution.

As a Ridley supporter, I can confirm that we never gave up hope until the bitter end. Granted, we've had more experience in rejection despite looking almost guaranteed, so that may have something to do with it.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's just that I don't know where I am in 5-10 years from now when the new Smash game potentially is out. I have heard "maybe next year" since the Brawl era and its getting just... sigh... Would just like to have something right now that feels like a victory (my most wanted is Banjo and Geno) when it comes to a franchise that I love. Something that maybe could help me go through my energy-draining PTSD (my therapist is comparing it to a damaged war veteran because of the **** I have seen) and... lose of my GF because of that f****** hit and runner.

Oh well. Maybe Gen 8 and Fire Emblem Three Houses could be a win this year -_-

AugustusB

Smash Champion
We truly do not deserve this man.

No matter who the characters are in the DLC, let's be grateful with it.

If it's Erdrick, Geno, Sephiroth, Crono or any other Square Rep, this guy needs a long...long vacation.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We truly do not deserve this man.

No matter who the characters are in the DLC, let's be grateful with it.

If it's Erdrick, Geno, Sephiroth, Crono or any other Square Rep, this guy needs a long...long vacation.
Honestly this makes me glad that we're not getting another Smash for a long time, frankly with only DLC being possibilities from here. He has so much less of a hand in things now, and he's able to take more time off. He's just so hecking stubborn, haha. I admire his worker's mentality, and I know it's because of the culture he was raised in, but he really needs to give some more to a possible successor and take more of a backseat.

Hopefully, after this, we'll only get misc. DLC and no more seasons. Small releases, a couple new fighters leisurely released (if any), no strict deadlines... It'll be easier on the team, FAR easier on Sakurai, and all will be well. It's even a win for the fans. Not only will Sakurai not have to do so much (if he stops forcing himself, like omg, man, take a breather?!), but we'll also still get some content and we won't need another Smash for a while. God knows Sakurai needs a break from making new games, and he seems a lot happier now that he isn't developing a whole game, just content.

All I hope is Nintendo will do the right choices for him. I know Sakurai said before that he wants to put in all that he can for Ultimate's post-release, but... dang, dude. He needs to not overdo it. Hopefully, he won't, now that he doesn't have to worry about developing a whole new hecking game for a good while.

EDIT: Also, the mention of his stomach issues made me think of Iwata and it made my heart drop. I hope nothing happens to him. If something happened to Sakurai, that would kill me.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
As a Ridley supporter, I can confirm that we never gave up hope until the bitter end. Granted, we've had more experience in rejection despite looking almost guaranteed, so that may have something to do with it.
Haha I'm with ya there. We were literally in meme territory for half a decade… but we succeeded, and it was beautiful. Ridley in Smash will be forever the moment naysayers lost the war, in my heart haha.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
FFVII is up for pre-download, everyone.
:3
This is THE game you should try out for FF, imo.
I know I'm a suspect, but hey, the game's legacy speaks for itself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I own the hard copy. With every tiny thing. The booklet, the case, all three discs...

So no need, I guess. I'm glad it finally hit the Switch though. Now I do wonder what the FFVIIr is going to be like... since I heard they scrapped the old design.

D

Deleted member

Its a great game, been meaning to replay it but sadly the backlog is big ATM.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Already? wow that's some super early pre-download right there.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't care if I don't have time to play it, I just want FF7 on a Nintendo system because lmao it actually happened and that's great and I want to own that piece of irony for myself

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad Square Enix is still actively re-releasing FFVII even with the remake on the way. I wouldn't have put it past 'em to try and suppress the original so they don't cut into their own sales or whatever.

I probably won't be getting any of the FF Switch ports, but only because I've already got all of those games on PC. I'd probably have bitten on at least one if that weren't the case, though, or I might later if they go on sale. FFXII in particular would be perfect to play in bed.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I have the games on PC.
I'm rebuying them because I love them, and I want to show support and remind them that they started off from the Nintendo fanbase.
I want to remind them that Nintendo was always FF's original home.

I own the hard copy. With every tiny thing. The booklet, the case, all three discs...

So no need, I guess. I'm glad it finally hit the Switch though. Now I do wonder what the FFVIIr is going to be like... since I heard they scrapped the old design.
I'm hyped bc I would relive Gaia in full 3D and HD glory, but I have very low expectations, given Tetsuya Nomura is directing it, S-E staff isn't full with top notch developers like they used to, how main FF team is so out of touch with the originals, and with how S-E's current practices imply releasing an incomplete game with tons of missed potential and questionable design choices.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm hyped bc I would relive Gaia in full 3D and HD glory, but I have very low expectations, given Tetsuya Nomura is directing it, S-E staff isn't full with top notch developers like they used to, how main FF team is so out of touch with the originals, and with how S-E's current practices imply releasing an incomplete game with tons of missed potential and questionable design choices.
Meh.

In my opinion I think he's really the only competent director available to do it. Especially considering he participated in a few things with the original. I respect the guy and I think he does good work and that's coming from someone who even doesn't even like KH. He got shafted from doing VersusXIII so maybe Square might have tossed him a bone when he was handed this project. I'm skeptical on whether or not if Square is smart enough to avoid bastardizing what is arguably the biggest game they've ever released so I'm keeping my expectations in check the best I can (and it's really ****ing hard lol) but I think I can trust Nomura to do right for the Remake.

Or maybe I just have to trust him.

Top Bottom