• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Honestly, I was lurking that thread, and while I understand the points about the Power Rangers leak and agree that manner of leaking was a mistake, those remarks were still so uncalled for. Also, ain't it contradictory that they're like, "Oh, you're just a rando!" while in the same breath being upset at you for leaking something that... was 100% accurate and real and... not at all 4chan tier random?

I guess all I can recommend is treading more carefully from now on, but when it comes to ERA, ehhh... I wouldn't give them much thought beyond a grain of salt. Criticism is fine, but ad hominem is another.
And then when i name somebody they do know and who knows I’m honest they call me cringe for saying a name. Like there is nothing I can do. Sigh.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
And then when i name somebody they do know and who knows I’m honest they call me cringe for saying a name. Like there is nothing I can do. Sigh.
Cringe is such an overused term, to be honest. Dare I say that using the word cringe is cringe-y, even? Why, yes, I dare say, and I dare to propose the term of cringeception.

I really don't see how citing verified sources and how they can back you up makes you look bad, namely when it's true. You have a lot of backing. People are just obtuse.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Any attempt at leaking can leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.
I know for me I just dont go on 4chan, I may not like it but i dont see the point of going somewhere to bash people for doing it.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cringe is such an overused term, to be honest. Dare I say that using the word cringe is cringe-y, even? Why, yes, I dare say, and I dare to propose the term of cringeception.

I really don't see how citing verified sources and how they can back you up makes you look bad, namely when it's true. You have a lot of backing. People are just obtuse.
People just don't like seeing evidence, mostly because people don't like possibilities.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...4Chan has had quite a few real leaks. I mean, yes, it's where a random person can easily post anything(kind of a draw of the website for posting options), but it's not a garbage site for leaks due to this factor. Multiple Yugioh OCG Forbidden/Limited Lists were there. So was the Smash 4 Roster Leak. And that's just two examples.

That said, the attitude displayed there is heavily toxic and an actual good reason to avoid that place. It gets awful sometimes. Though to be fair, you can see toxic attitude all over the web on just about any forum(even SB gets it sometimes, but the Moderation does try to cull it/do something about it. Not all websites care like we do). And yes, I'm aware I'm shilling this site, but I'm just being honest here.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wouldn't it be the opposite though? Evidence closes off other possibilities in exchange for making one path more likely.
It's because they refuse to accept other possibilities, period. Some just stick to one thing and cannot be convinced otherwise. Natural human bias at times, though.

Gets worse when hindsight bias exists too. Yeish.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
...4Chan has had quite a few real leaks. I mean, yes, it's where a random person can easily post anything(kind of a draw of the website for posting options), but it's not a garbage site for leaks due to this factor. Multiple Yugioh OCG Forbidden/Limited Lists were there. So was the Smash 4 Roster Leak. And that's just two examples.

That said, the attitude displayed there is heavily toxic and an actual good reason to avoid that place. It gets awful sometimes. Though to be fair, you can see toxic attitude all over the web on just about any forum(even SB gets it sometimes, but the Moderation does try to cull it/do something about it. Not all websites care like we do). And yes, I'm aware I'm shilling this site, but I'm just being honest here.
Hardly what I would consider shilling when it's the truth. ;)

(Naw, really, you guys are great, and you keep a good job keeping the site clean and free from trash. It's rare that I enjoy posting on a forum nowadays, but y'all are primo supremo.)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
People just don't like seeing evidence, mostly because people don't like possibilities.

Considering the amount of **** and fake info on there compared to anything good, i dont think people are likely to think of it as 'evidence'.
Also, it isn't exactly the best place to try to get 'respectable' info, and unfortunately (or not, depending how you look at it), the attitude spreads on the internet.
im sure different people feel differently about leaks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering the amount of **** and fake info on there compared to anything good, i dont think people are likely to think of it as 'evidence'.
Also, it isn't exactly the best place to try to get 'respectable' info, and unfortunately (or not, depending how you look at it), the attitude spreads on the internet.
im sure different people feel differently about leaks.
I'm saying that it definitely has real stuff. It gets fake stuff very often too. It's more using it as an excuse to dismiss a leak alone that's an issue. There's hard evidence that 4chan gets real stuff posted. That means dismissing it is ridiculous on the notion of where it came from alone. Now, we do have good reasons, like just being a text leak. That tends to be completely useless at times. What user posts it can matter way more, if they're credible. Like PolarPanda here, who has posted on 4chan. On the other hand, the fact anybody can use any name doesn't help either. Like those claiming to be Vergeben, who only posts in specific areas. Identity theft is a huge issue at 4chan.

Basically, it's never that simple.

Hardly what I would consider shilling when it's the truth. ;)

(Naw, really, you guys are great, and you keep a good job keeping the site clean and free from trash. It's rare that I enjoy posting on a forum nowadays, but y'all are primo supremo.)
Thank you. We appreciate it more than you can know. :)

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

Well you’re not wrong. This site seems to be a bit more accepting and listens a bit better than others I’ve found.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm saying that it definitely has real stuff. It gets fake stuff very often too. It's more using it as an excuse to dismiss a leak alone that's an issue. There's hard evidence that 4chan gets real stuff posted. That means dismissing it is ridiculous on the notion of where it came from alone. Now, we do have good reasons, like just being a text leak. That tends to be completely useless at times. What user posts it can matter way more, if they're credible. Like PolarPanda here, who has posted on 4chan. On the other hand, the fact anybody can use any name doesn't help either. Like those claiming to be Vergeben, who only posts in specific areas. Identity theft is a huge issue at 4chan.

Basically, it's never that simple.

Thank you. We appreciate it more than you can know. :)
There being a couple real leaks amongst thousands of fake ones doesn't bode well for anyone.
The deal with leaks, real or fake, is to try to convince people of some info the companies aren't ready to talk about. I dont see that as a good thing either way, but then again I dont see companies holding onto info for so long a great thing either. Basically what im saying is that we're not in an ideal situation either way :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There being a couple real leaks amongst thousands of fake ones doesn't bode well for anyone.
The deal with leaks, real or fake, is to try to convince people of some info the companies aren't ready to talk about. I dont see that as a good thing either way, but then again I dont see companies holding onto info for so long a great thing either. Basically what im saying is that we're not in an ideal situation either way :p
That's completely fair. I agree with that point. And with tons of fake leaks too, it can also make a company look bad because people believe in stuff, getting their hopes up, to the point it can affect sales sometimes. I wouldn't say this happens often. Like, I don't mean leaks by any means. But I do think it depends what it's for. Stuff like the OCG lists? No biggie. It just means people prepare to play for a bit longer. Rarely does it affect much else beyond that. Leaks about games are a far bigger deal. It's a huge breach of trust alone(not to say the OCG list thing isn't), but it also can heavily affect sales to a severe degree, and create unnecessary drama. People lose their jobs over leaks too.

Well you’re not wrong. This site seems to be a bit more accepting and listens a bit better than others I’ve found.
It's our goal for this website to accept everyone. To the point that we refuse to decline membership to anyone as is even if they weren't the best person on another site. We judge based upon their actions here. We will keep an eye on those who are known for being a problem on another site, though. But that's just a normal cautious thing. Offsite drama is the last thing we want. I've had to personally deal with this kind of situation before. And dealt with the harassment a user got for their offsite actions. And to clarify, the actions he did technically does affect me, but as a Moderator, that's not something I can use to my advantage. If their actions here don't break any rules, why should someone like that be declined membership or be banned for that matter? That makes no sense. Kept an eye on? Absolutely. Etc. Some probably know the situation, but I'd rather keep it vague since it would cause more issues. And just to note to everyone, please don't discuss the details here either.

BTW, if a user has some some horrible stuff offsite, please bring it up privately to the Staff alone. Let us look into it. We can at most keep an eye on them, but it's still useful information and helps us determine on how to react to their actions that break the rules.

(I know I'm not a Smash Ultimate Mod anymore, but the bolded part is more about saying this referring a Mod statement that applies to the entire forum as a whole. I apologize if it seems like I'm overstepping my boundaries. And technically, you could say I am. That's fair. I admit I ain't perfect. Never was, never will be.)

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I think that being negative about work that many people have enjoyed to the point of calling it garbage is going to be counter-productive. Many would agree that they could do a lot better. Doesn't mean it's good to ignore everything good about it.
?
In that same post I made it clear that I think the man is good with certain things. I'm not ignoring everything good about him.
And I'm sorry, but it is possible to dislike a person's work as a director without ignoring their qualities. And even though many people, namely the new gen of FF fans, enjoyed his work, there's a very large portion of the fanbase that dislikes what he did. It's not counterproductive at all.
My entire point was S-E hiring a dude that isn't fit to be a director as others could.

What happened? Which thread resulted in all of this?
ResetERA is an absolutely toxic place..

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
?
In that same post I made it clear that I think the man is good with certain things. I'm not ignoring everything good about him.
And I'm sorry, but it is possible to dislike a person's work as a director without ignoring their qualities. And even though many people, namely the new gen of FF fans, enjoyed his work, there's a very large portion of the fanbase that dislikes what he did. It's not counterproductive at all.
My entire point was S-E hiring a dude that isn't fit to be a director as others could.
And it's possible to see the qualities in the work as well, even if there's some things you dont like. It can always be better. I dont consider calling something garbage to be effective in showing people what could've been better, that's all.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Any attempt at leaking can leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.
I know for me I just dont go on 4chan, I may not like it but i dont see the point of going somewhere to bash people for doing it.
Midnight confessions.

I... sometimes open 4chan fake leaks just for the roasting and borderline public execution of the fake leak poster.

The amount of toxicity is jaw dropping. I can’t believe people can be regulars over there.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Midnight confessions.

I... sometimes open 4chan fake leaks just for the roasting and borderline public execution of the fake leak poster.

The amount of toxicity is jaw dropping. I can’t believe people can be regulars over there.
Sometimes its almost too unreal, like it's done on purpose.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
No one seems to talk about this, but due to the way 4chan works, you don't have to take sides in an argument. Everyone is anonymous and if you're losing, you can switch to the other side and mock the one you were initially on, and no one will bother to notice most of the time.

So much (not all) of 4chan's toxicity can be explained this way. When accountability is dead and no one actually required to believe in anything, most threads end up toxic because people end up arguing for the thrill and fun of argument itself, rather than to further a viewpoint or to convince other people to see the way you see things.

Just another reason to add onto the pile of "4chan is garbage" pile.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No one seems to talk about this, but due to the way 4chan works, you don't have to take sides in an argument. Everyone is anonymous and if you're losing, you can switch to the other side and mock the one you were initially on, and no one will bother to notice most of the time.

So much (not all) of 4chan's toxicity can be explained this way. When accountability is dead and no one actually required to believe in anything, most threads end up toxic because people end up arguing for the thrill and fun of argument itself, rather than to further a viewpoint or to convince other people to see the way you see things.

Just another reason to add onto the pile of "4chan is garbage" pile.
I do figure it's like a thrill. There's a reason some people enjoy trolling or worse.
I had my share of it when i was a kid. Not really worth my time now. I'm sure there's some entertaining posts once in a while tho.

D

Deleted member

A random thought just came up. Imagine if we got Lightning or Noctis over Cloud.

But seriously, nothing personal against those characters even if I haven't heard positive things about them. If someone were to represent Final Fantasy, though, it'd be Cloud, and they made the right choice to use him.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Being honest here, I think they should switch their current FF team with the devs that Sakaguchi and co had under their belt, and let their own apprentices be their successors. S-E's corporate culture and terrible rolemodels make it way too risky and complicated to leave to them to continue on with FF.
I know this is way too much of wishful thinking, but this is what I think would be best. To be frank, as a fan, I think if S-E dissolved back into Squaresoft and Enix, Nintendo buying FF and Xenogears from Squaresoft and leave these properties under Monolithsoft and Sakaguchi's freelance team (much like Sakurai does with Smash Bros) would be the best thing possible. Then again, I know this is even more impossible than the previous suggestion. XD
I disagree. the problem with the SE merger came mainly from the Squaresoft part Im afraid. Considering that Wada, who was the president after the merge, was from Squaresoft. The main issues with the company are more in line with their management of teams rather than not having capable personnel. Like I said they still have quite capable people in the company, like the bravely team, and I would prefer that they allow these newer teams to take on bigger projects.

While I would love for Xenogears to be part of the Monolith soft Xeno-universe, it is the only franchise that I would like Nintendo to get. I feel that Monolith is doing great following its own thing, as the Xenoblade series keeps growing.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I disagree. the problem with the SE merger came mainly from the Squaresoft part Im afraid. Considering that Wada, who was the president after the merge, was from Squaresoft. The main issues with the company are more in line with their management of teams rather than not having capable personnel. Like I said they still have quite capable people in the company, like the bravely team, and I would prefer that they allow these newer teams to take on bigger projects.

While I would love for Xenogears to be part of the Monolith soft Xeno-universe, it is the only franchise that I would like Nintendo to get. I feel that Monolith is doing great following its own thing, as the Xenoblade series keeps growing.
In my own headcanon, every Xeno game is part of the same universe anyways.

But seriously, nothing personal against those characters even if I haven't heard positive things about them. If someone were to represent Final Fantasy, though, it'd be Cloud, and they made the right choice to use him.
I agree. Cloud is the most recognizable FF character in my mind. No one else really tops him presence wise.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie. Fei Fong Wong would be epic because kung fu and kung fu mechs are what I like to see. I want the power. (Plus Solaris might be a beautiful stage... you know, on the surface.)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I appreciate that I can share things here without being called a “4chan tier random” like I was on ERA :/ Though it was just one user, I try to be as transparent as possible to avoid those kinds of hate.
Resetera is a garbage website, tbh. They are just as much bullies as 4chan except they try to make it seem like they are an accepting community. I'd actually call it worse since I think a majority of their posts have some air of feeling genuine while I feel a lot of 4chan is just ****posts.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Resetera is a garbage website, tbh. They are just as much bullies as 4chan except they try to make it seem like they are an accepting community. I'd actually call it worse since I think a majority of their posts have some air of feeling genuine while I feel a lot of 4chan is just ****posts.
ResetERA is certainly more haughty but also it hasn't coordinated harassment campaigns and hasn't vastly affected US politics for the worse in the past 5 or so years.

4chan's done some despicable sh*t. Jokey sh*tposts or not, ResetERA is not worse than it, even if they jump the gun on judging stuff plenty of times.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
ResetERA is certainly more haughty but also it hasn't coordinated harassment campaigns and hasn't vastly affected US politics for the worse in the past 5 or so years.

4chan's done some despicable sh*t. Jokey sh*tposts or not, ResetERA is not worse than it, even if they jump the gun on judging stuff plenty of times.
I think this counts as censor dodging. just say the full word so it can be automatically censored or you may be warned.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I think this counts as censor dodging. just say the full word so it can be automatically censored or you may be warned.
I know saying the full word censors it, but I've never been warned for swears. I did get warned for using the word for non consensual sex, which I admit is understandable even if I was condemning it in the post. Some people don't like seeing that word and it can trigger unwanted feelings and thoughts.

Swears on the other hand are just spicing up the intensity of a feeling. If I do get warned then, fine. I won't do it anymore.

I stand by what I said in my post you quoted regardless.

Edit: I've been warned, guess I won't do it anymore. That's fair.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I know saying the full word censors it, but I've never been warned for swears. I did get warned for using the word for non consensual sex, which I admit is understandable even if I was condemning it in the post. Some people don't like seeing that word and it can trigger unwanted feelings and thoughts.

Swears on the other hand are just spicing up the intensity of a feeling. If I do get warned then, fine. I won't do it anymore.

I stand by what I said in my post you quoted regardless.
Oh I have no thoughts on what you said I just wanted to make sure you don't get warned bc you're cool

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Uhhh... ResetERA is the definition of an echo chamber that is filled with doxers and intolerant people. They may not have pushed for official politics, but that is bc the site has its own audience, with topics directed to content other than politics. 4chan is a lot bigger, that doesn't discriminate the content of speech unless it portrays pornography or some truly extreme content (containing violence, gore and the active call to violence towards a person or people). Private pictures of people are also taken off the site.
I understand you have your own political stance, and to you, the result of the elections didn't make you happy, but closing your eyes to the extremism that exists in ResetERA is pure innocence, to say the least.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

I should have reworded it better. Yes, Squaresoft is the bigger problem, and I do agree that the Bravely team and RPG factory (both indirect inheritors of the Chrono team) would make a good job trying to tackle FF, but when I said about Nintendo buying Squaresoft was to truly reorganize the subsidiary and put the people in their right place. When I talk about incompetent people (in the sense of people not being the position that optimizes their final result), I mean Business Division 1, 2 and 3, the people behind mainline FFs, FFXV and KH

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

4chan's done some despicable ****. Jokey ****posts or not, ResetERA is not worse than it, even if they jump the gun on judging stuff plenty of times.
In my mind, the chaos 4chan brings is a far better alternative then wrongthink culture. Even then, they only get as far as they do because people stupidly give it attention.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Uhhh... ResetERA is the definition of an echo chamber that is filled with doxers and intolerant people. They may not have pushed for official politics, but that is bc the site has its own audience, with topics directed to content other than politics. 4chan is a lot bigger, that doesn't discriminate the content of speech unless it portrays pornography or some truly extreme content (containing violence, gore and the active call to violence towards a person or people). Private pictures of people are also taken off the site.
I understand you have your own political stance, and to you, the result of the elections didn't make you happy, but closing your eyes to the extremism that exists in ResetERA is pure innocence, to say the least.
ResetERA isn't filled with doxxers, and if it is they're quickly banned. When I searched online for instances of the forum doxxing people, all I got were untrustworthy articles by One Angry Gamer and something called lulz.com about the forum supposedly going after Cyberpunk 2077 devs (neither site is reputable for their neutral news coverage). Someone DID post a publicly available LinkedIn page of the Twitter account's manager, but it was quickly removed for violating ERA's terms of service. This is because ResetERA has moderators, and strict ones too.

Again, the attitude surrounding ResetERA may be extreme and intolerant to you, and I'm not saying that forum is a bastion of goodness (looking at my original post, I never claimed that, no idea why you're lecturing me on my ResetERA is Bad Actually), but 4chan's crimes are worse as a whole.

I also find it amusing and cute that you think I'm the one with "pure innocence" while you unironically claim 4chan discriminates against "the active call to violence towards a person or people" when that's the number one thing /pol/ is known for these days.

Look, I don't wanna drag this out. I go to this thread to see people talking Square Enix characters in Smash, I just wanted to say that as mean and dismissive of PolarPanda ResetERA was, it does not make it "worse" than 4chan. Maybe the latter is safer to leak things in, which is why so many leaks come from there, but eh.

Top Bottom