• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calane

Smash Ace
Business is most of the time about a back & forth. I mean, it does happen more directly when someone knows exactly what they want, but then you'd still get the negotiation phase. In cases likes this both companies have power and something the other wants. Nintendo might've had decent flexibility on the SE character so long as they can make some money on it. If it'd be more for promotion then Nintendo might try to use that fact for negotiation on giving less of the profit to the company. In DQ's case tho, it's so strong in japan that I could easily see it being a normal split, whatever that is.

Whether it was more a request from nintendo that SE agreed with or more from SE, we can't really know that for now without someone over there talking about what happened. There was an interview with sakurai where he talked about Cloud, that might give a bit of insight on some things. SE let sakurai have a lot of the say on things, but obviously they still have demands and things they're reserved about, like music.
Huh, I see.

Well, thanks for explaining all of this. I learned a lot about this sort of stuff from both you and A.G.L., and I appreciate it. I'll try to remember how things like this work going forward.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Just remembered this, and got steered away again from Erdrick.
Think about it, if Dragon Quest weren't to make it, then Chrono Trigger could be our next bet for Toriyama-drawn content in Smash.

I'd personally want Sora, Bubblun, and Geno in that order as the new Square character.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What about Pong 99?
Square Enix 99. Use a Square character to fight 99 other Square characters at once.

Imagine an army of 99 Sephiroths and their crazy big swords. 99 Slimes bobbing around and smacking into each other. 99 Cronos thinking time/space just went nuts. 99 Genos, just... 99 Genos.

Imagine the joy.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So... here's another random question just to get the ball rolling.
Who would you like to see adapt each franchise for a TV series or a movie? Be it an anime studios like Toei or Madhouse, or a director like Del Toro for a movie, and why?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Who would you like to see adapt each franchise for a TV series or a movie? Be it an anime studios like Toei or Madhouse, or a director like Del Toro for a movie, and why?
I want to see a Fire Emblem show in the style of Castlevania Netflix.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ya know, I wonder how different things would have been if Square never left Nintendo.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Ya know, I wonder how different things would have been if Square never left Nintendo.
Maybe Sakaguchi would've never left the company, FF would be as classic as it was before, KH would have actually good writing and narrative, games that actually have a good game design, giving more attention to consumers, new IPs with a ton of heart and Nintendo having the biggest third party partner they could count on for exclusives for decades to come. But alas, here we are. A pity that Nintendo was actually worse at the time with dealing with developer demands. S-E insisted with Nintendo before truly leaving. They had to hear some harsh words from Yamauchi (that not a single game, specially FF, should ever land on their system ever again), before leaving. The irony is ridiculous.
Tbh, Nintendo and Square are like that perfect couple that fought for something stupid in a time when both were in a bad mood, and lost their ways afterwards. A sad story, but they seem to be getting along again, so at least there's something. But the higher-ups at S-E and Nomura will make it hard for S-E to get back to its glory days. Developers left the company, and it would be impossible for them to gather everyone back again.

Oh, and yes, even SMRPG would have gotten a proper sequel, as I assume is the reason for you asking that question.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe Sakaguchi would've never left the company, FF would be as classic as it was before, KH would have actually good writing and narrative, games that actually have a good game design, giving more attention to consumers, new IPs with a ton of heart and Nintendo having the biggest third party partner they could count on for exclusives for decades to come. But alas, here we are. A pity that Nintendo was actually worse at the time with dealing with developer demands. S-E insisted with Nintendo before truly leaving. They had to hear some harsh words from Yamauchi (that not a single game, specially FF, should ever land on their system ever again), before leaving. The irony is ridiculous.
Tbh, Nintendo and Square are like that perfect couple that fought for something stupid in a time when both were in a bad mood, and lost their ways afterwards. A sad story, but they seem to be getting along again, so at least there's something. But the higher-ups at S-E and Nomura will make it hard for S-E to get back to its glory days. Developers left the company, and it would be impossible for them to gather everyone back again.

Oh, and yes, even SMRPG would have gotten a proper sequel, as I assume is the reason for you asking that question.
Actually, the reason I asked the question was because I recalled this.
"The story begins with a plan between Square Enix game producer, Shinji Hashimoto, and Final Fantasy’s creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, to create a new open world game in the same vein as Super Mario 64. When the lead character designer from Final Fantasy VII, Tetsuya Nomura, overheard the two talking about having characters as popular as Disney’s being able to rival a Mario game, he volunteered to lead the project. At that time, Square and Disney held offices in the same building in Japan."
https://nextshark.com/pitch-elevator-ride-made-kingdom-hearts-possible/

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
"The story begins with a plan between Square Enix game producer, Shinji Hashimoto, and Final Fantasy’s creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, to create a new open world game in the same vein as Super Mario 64. When the lead character designer from Final Fantasy VII, Tetsuya Nomura, overheard the two talking about having characters as popular as Disney’s being able to rival a Mario game, he volunteered to lead the project. At that time, Square and Disney held offices in the same building in Japan."
That's quite interesting.

All KH fans should praise their new god. The Elevator.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pipe dream, but get Kevin Feige to make an MCU-style Nintendo Universe. Complete with Smash Bros. instead of the Avengers.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
>Sakaguchi planning
I mean, there was a reason KH was very solid with the first one, in terms of design and story. Sure, gameplay was more stiff, but the first one was more detailed, with a coherent plot and excellent narrative. No overexplanation of anything, just showing what was necessary and leaving the mysteries of that universe for the player to imagine. I miss those days...
A pity KH lost a ton of the original development team. S-E has shown how they are a shadow of their former selves, desperately trying to revive what made them so special.

Btw, in case someone sees this:
https://nintendoeverything.com/rumo...d-and-buried-game-kingdom-hearts-switch-talk/

I wouldn't believe it completely. The KHIII part seems to be BS to me. As someone who is studying RTG and related stuff, it's hard to believe that KHIII wouldn't be able to run on the Switch. DQXI is the living proof of that. Same engine, arguably more demanding, yet still running in full force. Yes, it's slightly downgraded, but the experience is hardly lowered bc of it. I think it will be the same case for FFVII Remake and KHIII

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

Seems really odd to put in someone whose defining feature is "has a sword" after saying this

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

Seems really odd to put in someone whose defining feature is "has a sword" after saying this
To be fair in the tweet after that, he said “punch and kick” characters can also come off as generic too sometimes so....yeah.

This was something interesting to point out, considering how much of a bias the community seems to have against sword user characters.

D

Deleted member

If Ed Boon taught me something, is that Game Directors are masters in the art of trolling.

Also, most DQ characters use stuff that isn’t swords, with Erdrick or Eight included.

D

Deleted member

Feels like Edelgard was murdered after they detailed the MC of Three Houses. She's not impossible, but I doubt she's getting in if they keep the player character trend. I'm unsure where Edelgard popped up when it came to Smash speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, we don’t know exactly how the DLC was chosen. Depending on how much control Nintendo has, they very well could just ignore it and go for Erdrick. Even if Sakurai has some choice, he might think the historical significance of Erdrick is worth it.

Also in the article he mentions that he took some inspiration from Harmony of Despair for Simon and Richter. Really? I don’t see it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Feels like Edelgard was murdered after they detailed the MC of Three Houses. She's not impossible, but I doubt she's getting in if they keep the player character trend.
Yeah her chances went down a bit I think, just because of how the houses work. But we have so many protags, it could be a nice change of pace to have someone different. And not a sword user :O

D

Deleted member

Yeah her chances went down a bit I think, just because of how the houses work. But we have so many protags, it could be a nice change of pace to have someone different. And not a sword user :O
Hector's gotcha covered.

Really, though, I don't mind sword users as long as they bring something unique to the table and maybe not only use their sword. Lyn can use bows for instance, and she's known for being lightning fast to a point of zipping across the screens.

Otherwise, the only thing making Erdrick even likable is his legacy, which really shouldn't be the only thing holding his ground.

E: Also an FE side character would be cool. Not a generic unit you dump on the army's bench sidelines, but someone more pivotal to the plot, like our boy Hector.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hector's gotcha covered.

Really, though, I don't mind sword users as long as they bring something unique to the table and maybe not only use their sword. Lyn can use bows for instance, and she's known for being lightning fast to a point of zipping across the screens.

Otherwise, the only thing making Erdrick even likable is his legacy, which really shouldn't be the only thing holding his ground.

E: Also an FE side character would be cool. Not a generic unit you dump on the army's bench sidelines, but someone more pivotal to the plot, like our boy Hector.
Okay, Eliwood's face there, oh my god. He is just so done. Like, this guy? His good friend? Nope, never heard of him. What a load.

But yeah, if we got another FE rep, please give me Hector. I love him. He was always my favorite FE lord.

Top Bottom