• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Man, I really hope it isn't Erdrick.

Not because Dragon Quest doesn't belong or because it's "too obscure", we all know that isn't the case, but for me, it would just be so frustrating for them to pull from the ONE Square Enix rep I have zero investment in.

More FF? Hell yeah. Sora? Would love em. Geno? Would literally die happy. Neku, Chrono, Laura, 2B, Hell yes, I've played so many Square IPs that I would love to see in Smash.

But Dragon Quest? ...I mean, I play a lot of Fortune Street with friends. :V
Not only i feel exactly the same, but also, the further the speculation carries on and people believe more in it, the less "characters you wouldn't expect" it feels like, so I kinda want it not to be Erdrick and get an actual surprise. That's what was so beautiful of Cloud, almost no one knew about him leaking (literally no one believed the cloud city leak anyway), I just want that same feeling with every DLC character again.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not only i feel exactly the same, but also, the further the speculation carries on and people believe more in it, the less "characters you wouldn't expect" it feels like, so I kinda want it not to be Erdrick and get an actual surprise. That's what was so beautiful of Cloud, almost no one knew about him leaking (literally no one believed the cloud city leak anyway), I just want that same feeling with every DLC character again.
I think it's weird for people to believe that it's one character or another when there's just rumors. Leave it open and let yourself be surprised :)

D

Deleted member

At this point, my mind is going in four directions. Erdrick, Sora, Bravely Default character, and Banjo. Even then, I don't think they scratch 25% because the actual evidence in their favor just does not seem to exist outside of insiders.

Banjo is the only one with actual Rare spirit files in the game, but he could just be Steve and it's unlikely that Banjo is Brave to begin with.

Really, just because we're talking about someone a lot does not mean their chances are improved. Seriously, look at the Grinch leak. Everyone was talking about it and we got Incineroar and Piranha Plant instead. Crazy right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Really, just because we're talking about someone a lot does not mean their chances are improved. Seriously, look at the Grinch leak. Everyone was talking about it and we got Incineroar and Piranha Plant instead. Crazy right?
Yeah and that's exactly what seems to be happening now with Erdrick and most people here (not me). Kinda hoping history repeats again and we get another crazy reveal around Joker's level that nobody expected.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah and that's exactly what seems to be happening now with Erdrick and most people here (not me). Kinda hoping history repeats again and we get another crazy reveal around Joker's level that nobody expected.
Random question:
Where does this CG Freya come from?
She would be a hype character for Smash, actually

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Man, I really hope it isn't Erdrick.

Not because Dragon Quest doesn't belong or because it's "too obscure", we all know that isn't the case, but for me, it would just be so frustrating for them to pull from the ONE Square Enix rep I have zero investment in.

More FF? Hell yeah. Sora? Would love em. Geno? Would literally die happy. Neku, Chrono, Laura, 2B, Hell yes, I've played so many Square IPs that I would love to see in Smash.

But Dragon Quest? ...I mean, I play a lot of Fortune Street with friends. :V
Man I really hope it isn't those character that you like, since I don't know them or play their games.

(messin' around, I've played all of them except the new nier. Just wanted to see how you feel about it)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
What if it turns out that the Brave characters isn't a SE character at all and is instead from a different company entirely?

D

Deleted member

What if it turns out that the Brave characters isn't a SE character at all and is instead from a different company entirely?
Yeah. We've considered that. Papagenos actually released a good video detailing a bunch of candidates that could fit the Brave character. Yuri Lowell from the Tales series who is a co-founder of their Brave team, Monster Hunter is still on the table for dlc and they have a Brave fighting style, Yokai Watch having some Brave tribe species, Banjo due to stats, one person says Agumon.

There are other possibilities.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That' easily possible. Lots of people just assumed it was. And this is the SE thread :p

D

Deleted member

Yeah. We've considered that. Papagenos actually released a good video detailing a bunch of candidates that could fit the Brave character. Yuri Lowell from the Tales series who is a co-founder of their Brave team, Monster Hunter is still on the table for dlc and they have a Brave fighting style, Yokai Watch having some Brave tribe species, Banjo due to stats, one person says Agumon.

Unless the "brave" stats get shaken up big time, Im starting to think it might be Arthur from GnG.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm of the opinion that suspects Brave may not even be the Square Enix character. We're beginning to suspect the Square Enix character might be revealed later, and we're getting someone else first.

Some people even brought up that Brave might be Sora in a hunched position like how Cloud's stance has him shorter than he actually is. Whether or not they were joking, Sora is technically a Disney character, not a Square Enix one.

Edit: they weren't joking and have argued nicely that Sora being hunched would make sense.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Unless the "brave" stats get shaken up big time, Im starting to think it might be Arthur from GnG.
I wouldn't put too much stock into the stats if I were you.
Seems they're quite cavalier with those until release date.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't put too much stock into the stats if I were you.
Seems they're quite cavalier with those until release date.
I was thinking that, especially since we dont know how far "brave" is in development. We'll probably know how much they change next patch.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I just watched that video earlier today actually

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
As someone who has legitimately beaten Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts with no cheat devices or cheat codes or even adjusting the number of lives and continues on the option screen, seeing Arthur in Smash would just bring back lots of painful memories.

Don't try to beat GnG games kids. All you get out of it is a sense of pride that you beat the game that lasts a single day.

D

Deleted member

Arthur is slippery? I thought it was the exact opposite. Dude moves like a rigid statue in GnG and UMvC3.
Slipperyness is one of my doubts, but slipperiness may be a smash design and he is in line with most of the other current stats. He's short, has weird attacks with all his weaponry, floaty jumping, no crouching, no wall jump, no floating in the air like peach. Weight and speed affect gameplay more than anything and are used for balancing, so those are harder to use to make judgement.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Some people even brought up that Brave might be Sora in a hunched position like how Cloud's stance has him shorter than he actually is. Whether or not they were joking, Sora is technically a Disney character, not a Square Enix one.
It's not a joke.
Sora's iconic battle position is being extremely hunched, knee bended. And would actually fit perfectly if you compare him to Cloud in his own games.

And while Sora is "legally" Disney. He's basically an honorary Square-Enix Characters. As he is the only Characters from a spin-off to get in FF crossovers.
Appearing in FF record Keeper, WoFF and recently Brave Exvius Final Fantasy (Alongside 2B, Octopath, DQ, Secret of Mana, Star Ocean....ALL SE PROPERTY)

So, even if Disney's okay is needed. It would be normal for Square-Enix to throw Sora's name around as he's basically the "Cloud of the 2000's"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Classic Graizen

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
It's not a joke.
Sora's iconic battle position is being extremely hunched, knee bended. And would actually fit perfectly if you compare him to Cloud in his own games.

And while Sora is "legally" Disney. He's basically an honorary Square-Enix Characters. As he is the only Characters from a spin-off to get in FF crossovers.
Appearing in FF record Keeper, WoFF and recently Brave Exvius Final Fantasy (Alongside 2B, Octopath, DQ, Secret of Mana, Star Ocean....ALL SE PROPERTY)

So, even if Disney's okay is needed. It would be normal for Square-Enix to throw Sora's name around as he's basically the "Cloud of the 2000's"
Still doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t qualify as a SE rep... but this works in his favour

D

Deleted member

Now here's an idea, Sora AND an SE rep :p
I definetely think it's possible. Sora being a Disney character would mean SE having likely very little involvement in the negotiations aside from Nomura.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd argue that we're only getting 5 DLC picks is a point against that.
Nintendo would obviously want to diversify their choices.
I agree with that though I will say that SE has a lot of incredible titles.
And there's FF stuff in KH, but it's mostly disney ones. So who's to say how they view it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Slipperyness is one of my doubts, but slipperiness may be a smash design and he is in line with most of the other current stats. He's short, has weird attacks with all his weaponry, floaty jumping, no crouching, no wall jump, no floating in the air like peach. Weight and speed affect gameplay more than anything and are used for balancing, so those are harder to use to make judgement.
Arthur isn't something to neglect, I admit. I think another Capcom DLC rep isn't surprising to anyone with how much the company allows in Smash. Personally, I would expect Monster Hunter before GnG, but a GnG rep would be killer.

In terms of stats, Banjo is the one oddball I can see applying. He slides almost exactly like Brave does in his own game. His jumps are naturally floaty to provide easier platforming in BK and Kazooie could offer a greater double jump. No wall jumping is accurate. His height isn't very big, too. He's actually usually smaller than most of the side characters in Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie. And like you said, speed and weight are definitely meant for balancing so it's hard to say how accurate these stats mean. We just gotta wait to see if they change at all.

It's not a joke.
Yeah. If they go with KH1 Sora, I definitely see Sora fitting the height stat easily. Again, it's another reason why Sora is just so unkillable in these discussions. He can easily fit the stats and is too relevant with KH3 being out.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It changes depending on how nintendo views sorra. It's diversity if they dont count him as an SE rep.
...well, yes, but that's not my point. Sora isn't two characters from the same company because he is a Disney character. I was only arguing against that specific point.

And they probably won't count him as an SE rep, because he isn't one.

D

Deleted member

Arthur isn't something to neglect, I admit. I think another Capcom DLC rep isn't surprising to anyone with how much the company allows in Smash. Personally, I would expect Monster Hunter before GnG, but a GnG rep would be killer.
I feel that a Palico would fit a bit better those stats for a MH rep, based on height but the no crouch walk is a bit weird.
In terms of stats, Banjo is the one oddball I can see applying. He slides almost exactly like Brave does in his own game. His jumps are naturally floaty to provide easier platforming in BK and Kazooie could offer a greater double jump. No wall jumping is accurate. His height isn't very big, too. He's actually usually smaller than most of the side characters in Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie.
Main two issues with Banjo I have are actually height and no peach-like float.

He is small compared to other characters in his world, but scalewise a lot of the smash characters (including DK and Diddy) are also small in their games worlds (the Kongs are quite small in DK64). I am doubtful that with his proportions he would end up being almost Diddy size or Ness size, and would imagine him being around or bit taller than Mario's height.

The peach-like float if I recall correctly, is a movement you have in the games. Banjo doesnt really have a double jump, but rather Kazooie keeps him floating on the air for a bit when you press jump again. Which makes me think its weird that he wouldn't have something like that.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
DUDE
That looks ****ing sick!!
Imagine a FFIX Remake with that look. :o

And guys, I was playing SSBU yesterday, and something hit me like a truck regarding the Brave character.
IF the stats aren't changing that much in the future, I believe that there is one character that fits it quite better than anyone else, and I was actually betting on him since day 1, but only now did I connect the dots.
As some of you may know, Monster Hunter has a peculiar placement in the game. It's a series, ironically, with only two songs in the game, but the files label them the same way as other series with characters that are fighters. This makes MH the only series in the game with no rep but having such status (heck, they even have one dedicated map for MH in WoL, and an insane boss and AT).
I actually think that the Brave character is Felyne from Monster Hunter.
His height makes sense, his slippery properties make sense, his weight would make a ton of sense given that it usually carries weapons and armor with him, and bravery is core to the MH series.
Honestly, I literally reached a "Eureka" moment when I defeated Rathalos and thought about it.

Perfectly possible, and even if both counted as SE, nothing says that we are getting only one rep per company.
And considering the case that MH would be our 4th Capcom character, I don't think they really care about diversifing anything. They just want characters that they feel are better suited for the game and would generate enough hype.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Main two issues with Banjo I have are actually height and no peach-like float.

He is small compared to other characters in his world, but scalewise a lot of the smash characters (including DK and Diddy) are also small in their games worlds (the Kongs are quite small in DK64). I am doubtful that with his proportions he would end up being almost Diddy size or Ness size, and would imagine him being around or bit taller than Mario's height.

The peach-like float if I recall correctly, is a movement you have in the games. Banjo doesnt really have a double jump, but rather Kazooie keeps him floating on the air for a bit when you press jump again. Which makes me think its weird that he wouldn't have something like that.
In the context of Smash, the Kazooie "float" would just translate to a standard double jump I think.

I do think Banjo would be taller in Smash though. Honestly probably around Link's height.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
...well, yes, but that's not my point. Sora isn't two characters from the same company because he is a Disney character. I was only arguing against that specific point.

And they probably won't count him as an SE rep, because he isn't one.
Well, you're right, so that's on me. So going back to 2 from the same company, my own point about SE having incredible franchises is that in the grander picture, it would be ignoring great franchises if they decided to go with a different company just to give more companies a chance.
If they already have good relations with one, why not make full use of it :)

But i do think it's more likely that it'sll be different ones.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, you're right, so that's on me. So going back to 2 from the same company, my own point about SE having incredible franchises is that in the grander picture, it would be ignoring great franchises if they decided to go with a different company just to give more companies a chance.
If they already have good relations with one, why not make full use of it :)

But i do think it's more likely that it'sll be different ones.
Ignoring subjectively great franchise for adding the most beloved companies and their games as possible which also maximizes profit actually sounds smart to me, but I'm a cynic.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

In terms of stats, Banjo is the one oddball I can see applying. He slides almost exactly like Brave does in his own game. His jumps are naturally floaty to provide easier platforming in BK and Kazooie could offer a greater double jump. No wall jumping is accurate. His height isn't very big, too. He's actually usually smaller than most of the side characters in Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie. And like you said, speed and weight are definitely meant for balancing so it's hard to say how accurate these stats mean. We just gotta wait to see if they change at all.

Yeah. If they go with KH1 Sora, I definitely see Sora fitting the height stat easily. Again, it's another reason why Sora is just so unkillable in these discussions. He can easily fit the stats and is too relevant with KH3 being out.
It changes depending on how nintendo views sorra. It's diversity if they dont count him as an SE rep.
I would say that Sora's the most riskiest choice between the Square canididates. He would be another miracle get character, like how Cloud was for Smash 4 and in a way Joker! The stats does fits his playstyle like how most people would expect for him to play in Smash. He would also be another promotional character. If Joker even is one like we all think Persona 5 would come eventually to the Switch. Sora could offer a potential Kingdom Hearts collection like they did with Final Fantasy and a possible KH 3 port for the Switch.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly Brave not lining up with how the rest of the file names are romanized to be Yuusha hits Erdrick harder then it should for me.

Like, why would they specifically use the English name when they've used romanized forms for the 2 others from what I've gathered

Top Bottom