• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'd actually prefer a smaller, more child-like Erdrick. Not like the NES-era chibi version, but something more like how he appears on the cover of the recent artbook, slimmer and cuter than his SNES design. It's true that at 16 he's about the same age as a lot of characters of his type in Smash, but... y'know, Shulk didn't have to be dragged out of bed to go save the world by his mom. Playing him up as a plucky kid would give him something of his own.

Not that I think he'd come out Ness-sized, but is anyone actually sure about that parameter?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can't stand the anticipation anymore, I just want to get it revealed already

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I would definitely prefer chibi Erdrick. I'm not too much of a fan of his other designs. Which one does the data support again?

D

Deleted member

I would definitely prefer chibi Erdrick. I'm not too much of a fan of his other designs. Which one does the data support again?
Brave is about the size of Toon Link, going solely off the ingame data, so that would likely be the NES style design.
However, without a model it's hard to determine their exact size since there may be parts of the model that aren't counted in the height (such as Isabelle's hairdo, etc.)

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
That moment when Geno and slime are very high contenders again... unless you count a kid erdrick or crouching sora

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd actually prefer a smaller, more child-like Erdrick. Not like the NES-era chibi version, but something more like how he appears on the cover of the recent artbook, slimmer and cuter than his SNES design. It's true that at 16 he's about the same age as a lot of characters of his type in Smash, but... y'know, Shulk didn't have to be dragged out of bed to go save the world by his mom. Playing him up as a plucky kid would give him something of his own.

Not that I think he'd come out Ness-sized, but is anyone actually sure about that parameter?
It's one of those "give or take" things. Note how Isabelle and Toon Link are the same height if you go by their actual heads. Whether the actual in game model is more or less, it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. The takeaway is that Brave is pretty short and the final size is not likely to be significantly different.

unknown.png

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Brave is about the size of Toon Link, going solely off the ingame data, so that would likely be the NES style design.
However, without a model it's hard to determine their exact size since there may be parts of the model that aren't counted in the height (such as Isabelle's hairdo, etc.)
It'll be original toon Erdrick but his hair isn't part of his hitbox and it ends up doubling his height

Calane

Smash Ace
I was under the impression that the whole "shorter than Luigi" thing was proven false due to this post:

Screenshot_20190108-192913.png

According to this, there's nothing indicating how tall or short "Brave" actually is. The height/size stuff apparently only changes how big or small a character's model is (like making Kirby giant, or Bowser really small). Am I misinformed about the situation or something?

StormC

Smash Hero
He had nothing to do with the ballot. He was chosen long before it. It was Sakurai`s own decision. Bayo was the ballot character.
Neither was added because of the ballot. Both have data existing as early as 4/15/2015. The timeline required for these characters to be licensed and implemented within 15 days of the ballot starting is borderline unfeasible.

Sakurai said Cloud was the most requested/popular Final Fantasy character, never anything about the ballot. Bayonetta was said to just score highly, not that she was necessarily picked because of it.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
If the stats look like a mid-weight floaty zoner, I wonder if Neku from TWEWY might fit the bill? Just a thought.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Neither was added because of the ballot. Both have data existing as early as 4/15/2015. The timeline required for these characters to be licensed and implemented within 15 days of the ballot starting is borderline unfeasible.

Sakurai said Cloud was the most requested/popular Final Fantasy character, never anything about the ballot. Bayonetta was said to just score highly, not that she was necessarily picked because of it.
You don't necessarily need to negotiate and design a character to put place holder data for them to the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's the thing though, if it's Kid Erdrick, the intel we've been getting is probably wrong because everyone was insisting it was the adult version and the female version that people also insisted was coming too does not have a canon child design. I also doubt it's a "chibi" version because Smash tries to follow the intended designs of characters. For example, Pit and Simon were simply updated from their original designs and chibi is literally a simplification. It would be like if Link suddenly showed up in Smash as a new version of Toon Link.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If the stats look like a mid-weight floaty zoner, I wonder if Neku from TWEWY might fit the bill? Just a thought.
hmm...
You know from watching videos it looks like it does kinda fit, maybe someone who has played the game can confirm but he sure looks like a floaty, slidy, zoner fighter.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's the thing though, if it's Kid Erdrick, the intel we've been getting is probably wrong because everyone was insisting it was the adult version and the female version that people also insisted was coming too does not have a canon child design. I also doubt it's a "chibi" version because Smash tries to follow the intended designs of characters. For example, Pit and Simon were simply updated from their original designs and chibi is literally a simplification. It would be like if Link suddenly showed up in Smash as a new version of Toon Link.
Mega Man though.

You don't necessarily need to negotiate and design a character to put place holder data for them to the game.
It's possible I guess, but it seems like a risk to put in placeholder data before you're even sure the character can be used.

From what I understand though, based on what dataminers have said, the time it takes to test and implement that kind of data in a patch takes longer than two weeks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like I said before, thinking the codename can give different results and the copy pasted data gives inconclusive results as to what the moveset would look especially when we have zero idea about what "brave" looks like. By the stats alone, and if the height size indicates ness-size character, and adding the weight I would think its a character that its a bit chubby.
If it's Erdrick, another option is that he would be using an updated kid Erdrick design from Toriyama. And the design would look like the ones in DQIX.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm pretty confused here. What's making people believe that "Brave" is Ness-sized?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'm pretty confused here. What's making people believe that "Brave" is Ness-sized?
Not an expert, but even if the data is incomplete you could compare what you have to the rest of the cast and see roughly what you can expect. In this case even if we don't have the model if we compare the height to other characters it's closest to Ness.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
the same people still haven't got the message from Mizumi saying height doesn't matter and parameters will get changed like Plant and Sm4sh!Cloud

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
the same people still haven't got the message from Mizumi saying height doesn't matter and parameters will get changed like Plant and Sm4sh!Cloud
Changed =/= completely redone.

What we can see when we look at what is here is a rough idea of what the character will be like, its clear they are designing this character to have similar stats to other zoners and have a certain size. Some things may change but those overall things probably won't.

Calane

Smash Ace
Not an expert, but even if the data is incomplete you could compare what you have to the rest of the cast and see roughly what you can expect. In this case even if we don't have the model if we compare the height to other characters it's closest to Ness.
Yeah, but the size/height stuff doesn't really mean anything. It just sizes the model up or down and has nothing to do with how tall or short the character actually is.

I just posted it, but I'll post it nice and big so everybody sees it.

Screenshot_20190108-192913.png

D

Deleted member

If anything sizes seem to be pretty inconsistent and depend more on the artstyle going for the character...

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Yeah, but the size/height stuff doesn't really mean anything. It just sizes the model up or down and has nothing to do with how tall or short the character actually is.

I just posted it, but I'll post it nice and big so everybody sees it.

View attachment 186470
Well it's not like they are gonna design the model huge/tiny and then size it up or down, they probably know roughly what size they're aiming for and put that in.

Even if they didn't it doesn't mean we know nothing, if one character has stat x,y,z and I know stat x and z for another character we can make some rough comparisons even without the rest of the data.

If anything sizes seem to be pretty inconsistent and depend more on the artstyle going for the character...
That didn't look right so I found this

I think the other one was edited.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
"Kid" Erdrick isn't a child version of Erdrick, he's just drawn in a different style.

Toriyama's art style has varied a lot over the years. Check out liquidmetalslime's avatar, that cutie pie's usually drawn as a Conan the Barbarian rugged beefman. I don't think Erdrick's likely to be itty bitty, but there's some wiggle room, and "canon" appearance isn't too important.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
hmm...
You know from watching videos it looks like it does kinda fit, maybe someone who has played the game can confirm but he sure looks like a floaty, slidy, zoner fighter.
I would definitely say he is floaty and I think slidy fits the bill too, and a lot of the psychs he uses involve a ranged aspect. He has a very diverse moveset to choose from in TWEWY, but I always pictured him as more of a zoner than a brawler or swordfighter. If they announce a second TWEWY on the upcoming direct (whenever that happens), that might shoot up his chances drastically.

StormC

Smash Hero
StormC StormC Megaman's not chibi though unless you're referring to something else.
I'd say he's pretty "chibi" in the sense that he is superdeformed. His design is based on his NES sprite, not his concept art. Erdrick might be based on his NES concept art but still conveys that superdeformed look.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Well it's not like they are gonna design the model huge/tiny and then size it up or down, they probably know roughly what size they're aiming for and put that in.

Even if they didn't it doesn't mean we know nothing, if one character has stat x,y,z and I know stat x and z for another character we can make some rough comparisons even without the rest of the data.
The point is that nothing is indicating the character is small. If "Brave" is indeed Erdrick, he could very well be using his taller design and is just being sized in a way that looks right next to the rest of the cast. Like ryumo suggested, I'm sure artstyle and such has a lot to do with how characters are sized.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure animations and whatnot might effect how a character is sized as well.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like non-DQ fans will be a lot more endeared to the character if he's superdeformed, but it doesn't seem like there's any reason to believe he will be.

Shame.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Mine was from E3 actually (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L93H7YC-83o 11:04 mark if you want to check), sizes during combat vary a lot due to the characters performing different actions. In particular your picture seems to be them performing taunts while in mine they are just in regular poses for battle.
I guess, hard to argue with the video I just don't remember them all being basically the same size.

The point is that nothing is indicating the character is small. If "Brave" is indeed Erdrick, he could very well be using his taller design and is just being sized in a way that looks right next to the rest of the cast. Like ryumo suggested, I'm sure artstyle and such has a lot to do with how characters are sized.
I mean sure it very well could end up that way, but even if the height is different they are still saying the rest of the data doesn't really fit a sword fighter either.

I mean I'm not saying it can't be Erdrick, as far as I know he's still a likely option, I just think that the data is pointing in a different direction than some of the leakers and its worth considering the possibility that its not going to be Erdrick.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
According to the data, Brave's height is about "14" which puts it with the characters I posted earlier. I have seen what Mizumi said about height but I don't think it will change significantly and, like I said in my post about this, I think he was referring to how things like hair and hats don't necessarily count, like with Isabelle's bun thingy.

D

Deleted member

I guess, hard to argue with the video I just don't remember them all being basically the same size.
They look that they have pretty similar size during the combat due to varying grades of crouching. If we go by the sizes that U Untouch gave us before, Ridley and Samus have the same size which is a comparison that doesn't make a lot of sense as Ridley is slightly taller than Samus and is even taller when standing.

Also the problem with analyzing the frames and data is that it still doesn't give us anything regarding the character, since the character could be a new implementation of an archetype and they could be experimenting a lot.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
They look that they have pretty similar size during the combat due to varying grades of crouching. If we go by the sizes that U Untouch gave us before, Ridley and Samus are the same size a comparison that doesn't make sense as Ridley is slightly taller than Samus and is even taller when standing.

Also the problem with analyzing the frames and data is that it still doesn't give us anything regarding the character, since the character could be a new implementation of an archetype and they could be experimenting a lot.
Like I said earlier, I don't think any of this means it can't be Erdrick just that it's worth considering that it might fit some other options a little better.

Calane

Smash Ace
According to the data, Brave's height is about "14" which puts it with the characters I posted earlier. I have seen what Mizumi said about height but I don't think it will change significantly and, like I said in my post about this, I think he was referring to how things like hair and hats don't necessarily count, like with Isabelle's bun thingy.
The height/size stuff only changes how big or small a character's model is. It just sizes a model up or down. If that's indeed the case, then it tells us nothing about how tall or short the model actually is.

That's exactly how Mizumi's post reads, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When you're telling people that someone's posts are false, you should clarify if they acknowledged that if they did. Otherwise it sounds like an accusation. Just to avoid confusion.
I think you're looking too much into it, the post wasn't accusing anyone of anything just that the info was mistaken.
Like I said earlier, I don't think any of this means it can't be Erdrick just that it's worth considering that it might fit some other options a little better.
Seeing which character fits better seems a rather pointless task at the moment, considering the possible liberties and approaches to characters but whatever.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think "height" relates to the model since there's another value that scales it, which is what I think Mizumi was talking about.
Bowser's "height" is 33% larger than Ridley's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom