• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why is it? We're not guaranteed a Western character or anything.
And we're not guaranteed it to be all Japanese.

A large portion of Smash's sales is the West.
And if that's not good enough for you;

Remember what place got Bayo in?
Not Japan.

The United Kingdom.

So hopefully I won't have to hear any more parading about "all Japan" after that, because even Smash 4 proved that to be untrue.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
Except Sakurai isn't choosing the characters. Nintendo is, and they don't care about what Sakurai's wants.
they're most likely doing promotional characters for games possibly coming to Switch, this leak it seems to emphasize them going with characters for upcoming Switch releases (previously released ones in Steves case).
There still is a good chance that the Fighter Pass will be all Japanese. That's what I want anyways, and you should respect that.
there's nothing preventing Nintendo from advertising to an overseas market with a western character like Doomguy, while at the same time still catering to Japan with characters like Erdrick. Steve would be a character would appeals internationally and to casual gamers, even if he's from the west.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
they're most likely doing promotional characters for games possibly coming to Switch, this leak it seems to emphasize them going with characters for upcoming Switch releases (previously released ones in Steves case).

there's nothing preventing Nintendo from advertising to an overseas market with a western character like Doomguy, while at the same time still catering to Japan with characters like Erdrick. Steve would be a character would appeals internationally and to casual gamers, even if he's from the west.
The next Doom game is going to be on the Switch, so that makes sense.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And we're not guaranteed it to be all Japanese.

A large portion of Smash's sales is the West.
And if that's not good enough for you;

Remember what place got Bayo in?
Not Japan.

The United Kingdom.

So hopefully I won't have to hear any more parading about "all Japan" after that, because even Smash 4 proved that to be untrue.
When I say that the characters will be all Japanese, I am saying that all the characters will be from Japanese franchises.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
When I say that the characters will be all Japanese, I am saying that all the characters will be from Japanese franchises.
I mean, regardless, Bayo still got in to appeal to a place that isn't Japan. Don't know why this isn't enough to blow this claim out.
Characters like Steve that may get in have international appeal.

There have to be characters that places outside of Japan have proven themselves to want. That's just simple financial logic. Doomguy has risen up incredibly fast as a frontrunner for any sort of Smash in the future, and seeing as his Western appeal is pretty obvious, and seeing as he'd be one of the perfect picks for any sort of Western appeal...

I dunno why your claim still exists.

D

Deleted member

I feel that searching for Sakurai giving shoutouts to devs/series/characters is kind of useless considering that he likes a lot of things so while it helps it doesn't secure things. Dunno what to make about Doomguy in Smash as while I played old Doom, Doomguy seems to be a character that uses exclusively guns with a few of the realistic category.
Uh, yeah, they don't, but Doomguy is one of the best "Western" third party picks out there. Let's not fool ourselves here.
I would say Crash Bandicoot would be better considering Crash being popular WW and this way we could have the best PSASBR game with Ultimate(considering Cloud, Joker and Snake).

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, regardless, Bayo still got in to appeal to a place that isn't Japan. Don't know why this isn't enough to blow this claim out.
Characters like Steve that may get in have international appeal.

There have to be characters that places outside of Japan have proven themselves to want. That's just simple financial logic. Doomguy has risen up incredibly fast as a frontrunner for any sort of Smash in the future, and seeing as his Western appeal is pretty obvious, and seeing as he'd be one of the perfect picks for any sort of Western appeal...

I dunno why your claim still exists.
I think that if any Western character gets in, they will have global appeal. Doomguy doesn't.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Tansut clears me of most suspicion. If he *says* Erdrick, then it's pretty damn likely to be Erdrick. I hate to pour salt in a wound, but I think Geno's chances were sealed the instant he got a Spirit.

As of now, the character gets a rousing 'eh' from me, but I trust Sakurai and the team to make him interesting and fun. (Just please for god's sake give us more Spirits than just a Fighter Spirit)

And if that rumored list of DLC characters is true, then OH BOY. Steve is another 'eh', I don't mind him as long as he's not too aesthetically unpleasing, but Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy have me practically salivating. Oldschool Ninja Gaiden is my jam, and Doomguy is among my most-wanted 3rd-party reps, dis is gonna be good.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Can you actually source this thing about Doomguy not having global appeal or are you gonna keep using it with no backup
FPSes are very niche in Japan and Doomguy doesn't appeal well to Japanese audiences as a result. They need to implement characters that appeal to the Japanese audience and the international audience to get the most sales. You can't do that with an FPS character until FPSes suddenly become more popular in Japan.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
FPSes are very niche in Japan and Doomguy doesn't appeal well to Japanese audiences as a result. They need to implement characters that appeal to the Japanese audience and the international audience to get the most sales. You can't do that with an FPS character until FPSes suddenly become more popular in Japan.
I'm still waiting for actual sources here. How do you know Doom apparently doesn't sell in Japan? If it didn't then why would they even release it over there?

D

Deleted member

Shi please I am so tired.
THIS IS THE LAST TIME I CAN ARGUE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES IN 2018 LET ME HAVE THIS
So why did you claim that he has jack squat to say in the matter then? That's a contradiction.
I said his own preferences don't matter because he didn't choose the characters. That's not a contradiction.
Furthermore, do you have the source that explicitly clarifies it could only be if he had issues with them and nothing else?
You really think a professional game developer would turn down developing a character because of his own personal opinion on them?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Psh, forget Doomguy, let's put Scorpion in the game as the western rep.
If Doom Guy doesn't have a chance due to gore, Scorpion sure as hell doesn't.

Gore in Japan is to sexual content in America. Because of this, Mortal Kombat might as well be non-existent in Japan.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074897993235484672
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074898466915020800
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074899214503632897

I don't know how to thread tweets so here they are in order.

Full translation:
I am asking for your wants not predictions.
Putting moves aside, Wonder-Red and Joe could work as Mii costumes, and Dante would be difficult for rating reasons (don't ask me then why Beyo got in?).
I think Amaterasu is the only choice.

Yap... about half of the world's population saying that they want Joe to join the battles.

By the way, when I was drinking with Takushu (Shu Takumi) yesterday he said "why they don't put Phoenix Wright in" ...
Hmmm. I may have found an interesting followup to that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The lineup is tough for me.

I love Minecraft so Steve is cool and fun and even a little funny to me. As a character it's tough but moveset would be great. Thumbs up.

I'd prefer Dovahkiin as a Bethesda rep by a country mile because I just like the heavy medieval weaponry more, but I respect Doom immensely.

Erdrick is someone I actually predicted for a while during base roster days to my friends and I like Toriyama and everything I learn about DQ3 so I'm sold.

But Ryu Hayabusa...has the pedigree for sure and I do really like Ninja Gaiden...so he's definitely cool. I used to joke that Greninja only exists because they couldn't get the Hayabusa rights.

At the same time no one but Joker is my GOTTA HAVE EM list, but y'know at the same time Joker was the most impossible absolutely insane pick that I never dreamed would make it so I'm not gonna get all whiny.

My number one hope is that, even if that is the final list, we get some kind of surprise whether that be in an unusual stage choice or alt costume.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm still waiting for actual sources here. How do you know Doom apparently doesn't sell in Japan? If it didn't then why would they even release it over there?
The Japanese also hate excessive gore. Mortal Kombat sells so poorly there that the franchise is completely non-existent.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
She clearly meant any other non-Erdrick Square character man you really gotta chill sometimes
Hmm? What's wrong? I don't mean anything harsh by it. Just a bit confused with the statement that's all.

Though to be fair....nothing technically has "happened" yet until we actually see a new DLC character confirmed and before our eyes.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
If Doom Guy doesn't have a chance due to gore, Scorpion sure as hell doesn't.

Gore in Japan is to sexual content in America. Because of this, Mortal Kombat might as well be non-existent in Japan.
I know, but shhhhhh, let me dream.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ummmm. I'm sorry? Look, like I said, nothing has "happened the last time". I wouldn't give up hope on anything just yet.
Haha no I'm done dude, you and I both know it's Erdrick
To clarify what I meant; I meant "what happened when we put stock in any Squenix character" because neither Fly nor myself wanted Erdrick the most for a Squenix rep.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
FPS have gotten more popular in Japan over the years, but last Doom performed pretty badly with about 6k opening sales.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pl...s-1st-homefront-outsells-doom-battleborn/amp/

That was awful, was hoping that they would reveal AA7 or at least complete the series in HD.
THANK you. THIS is what I actually needed to understand that Doom wasn't popular.

Hey, this adds more fuel for my Dovahkiin fire seeing as Skyrim was a big deal in Japan AND has global appeal!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
How have the old school Dooms in Japan?

also Japan dislikes Metroid so that isn't even a good arguement lol

-Coco-

Smash Ace

-Coco-

Smash Ace
+1 for reminding me about the one (1) good post I've made on this site and another +1 because you have a cool Erdrick icon so that's 2 points for Erdrick good job
The funny thing is I actually think Erdrick has a really cool story and the ending of DQ3 is almost tragic. Much like Geno's in a sense.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't have any statistics but yeah, from what I know gore is very much disliked in Japan.

Blood, however, is okay, which is why Bayonetta is playable (her games are super bloody but not gory), in case anyone was going to bring her up as a counter example.

Also I can't lie, I'm super happy that the guy who leaked Cloud is also saying Erdrick is in. However, due to the cruelty of the universe, I'll say it's still up in the air until we get actual confirmation. If Erdrick is in, I want to reiterate that I do still want Geno (and Mallow) to get into Smash someday, I'm not completely happy that Erdrick would be getting in "over" those two.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Doom discussion? FPS's are not popular in Japan because for whatever reason the first person view triggers motion sickness in a lot of Japanese gamers. It's something genetic supposedly and a giant part of the reason why Splatoon has been a runaway success while the Metroid Prime games did comically awful. "A shooting game that doesn't make me want to projectile vomit? Hell yes!"

Top Bottom