• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beans

Smash Lord
So Tansut sealed the deal huh.
Welp its been a fun ride.
Or a fun train wreck.
Atleast to watch, if you're already dead and another one cant hurt.

Also if shooting games are the topic CAN I GET JACKET?!

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Doom discussion? FPS's are not popular in Japan because for whatever reason the first person view triggers motion sickness in a lot of Japanese gamers. It's something genetic supposedly and a giant part of the reason why Splatoon has been a runaway success while the Metroid Prime games did comically awful. "A shooting game that doesn't make me want to projectile vomit? Hell yes!"
Counterpoint, Overwatch is even more popular than Splatoon.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Erdrick, Doom Marine, Steve, Ryu Hayabusa?

Well I doubt the whole roster is getting leaked, and Erdrick seems extremely likely anyways so I doubt it really counts.

Though, I’m not really a fan of this roster. Steve, Marine are pretty meh to me, but at least Ryu looks cool, I played Ninja Gaiden before.

TruStyle (AKA Relic)

Smash Rookie
No sub-zero love? I think that character is actually very possible.
As far as square reps go though.. anyone who thinks it won't be sora is crazy imo.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can't you switch between different views though in Overwatch?
Not quite.

There are certain characters who have specific moves which will trigger a 3rd person perspective but 90% of the game for most characters will be in a first person perspective.
Well this is the Square Enix discussion general, You aint gonna find a lot of people too into MK.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, all I'm gonna say is...

If Scorpion or Sub-zero somehow made it into Smash, I'd laugh so goddamn hard and also be very pleased.

In my eyes, that definitely won't happen, but that would be absolutely incredible on a multitude of levels.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Now that Erdrick is as good as confirmed I kinda wanna see his trailer. I think Erdrick was one of the few newcomers that wouldn’t make me hype but maybe an awesome trailer and that DQ music would do the job.

Really hoping that leak roster isn’t real. Hayabusa would be hype as all hell, but Doomguy is a meh pick to me (even though I love Doom and acknowledge it would deserve a spot). But Steve is boycott-worthy and would return me to my November 1 state.

I’m thinking it’s fake though. They wouldn’t pick Doomguy, Steve wouldn’t work and Hayabusa seems like the kind of pick you’d go with after learning Simon is in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Doom Guy doesn't have a chance due to gore, Scorpion sure as hell doesn't.

Gore in Japan is to sexual content in America. Because of this, Mortal Kombat might as well be non-existent in Japan.
Yeah but scorpion’s cool so who cares

TruStyle (AKA Relic)

Smash Rookie
If Scorpion or Sub-zero somehow made it into Smash, I'd laugh so goddamn hard and also be very pleased.

In my eyes, that definitely won't happen, but that would be absolutely incredible on a multitude of levels.
I feel it might not be that ridiculous of a guess tbh. They have a MK coming to switch and if they pull a MK rep it'll be Sub Zero for sure. The character is way more lenient on the gore than scorpion and the move set with ice clones etc. would be amazing.

Don't have my hopes high for it but it's cool to dream haha.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
So apparently, my log-out dream happened and we've got even more solid proof for Erdrick.
As for the DOOM/5chan leak, there's something really ironic about it: remember how people feared the line-up would be either promotional Nintendo characters or a third-party fest? Welp, if it becomes real, we're getting promotional third-party characters. It's like Cradily's type combination, you'd think it's be a terrible idea to combine the types with the most weaknesses, but in the end, yet a decent pokémon at worst.
Oh and...
-> Project X Zone includes KOS-MOS as the main Namco representative.
I've played both PXZ games and I'm pretty sure the Tekken characters are the main Namco reps.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Erdrick can get in; I feel like Scorpion would not be a problem.
...I don't get it.

Scorpion's biggest thing is brutal and gore. Erdrick's isn't. One series was very often banned in Japan and not that popular is there. The other is worldwide, and may be lesser in the US, but DQ is still extremely popular worldwide. Just one country has more popularity than the other.

I'd love Scorpion in. But I don't see how they're realistically comparable in this regard.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Care to explain why?
Erdrick doesn't exactly rip people's skulls from their body with their spines still attached.
Erdrick has some ties with rather nasty ideas; that I'm sure a different, albeit just as large crowd, would take issue with.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074897993235484672
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074898466915020800
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074899214503632897

I don't know how to thread tweets so here they are in order.

Full translation:
I am asking for your wants not predictions.
Putting moves aside, Wonder-Red and Joe could work as Mii costumes, and Dante would be difficult for rating reasons (don't ask me then why Beyo got in?).
I think Amaterasu is the only choice.

Yap... about half of the world's population saying that they want Joe to join the battles.

By the way, when I was drinking with Takushu (Shu Takumi) yesterday he said "why they don't put Phoenix Wright in" ...
Bit of an update. I've checked Kamiya's page. There's actually a tweet before the one involving "Takshu". This one:
which doesn't seem to be about Phoenix.

I'm beginning to think that in actuality, Shu would've been asking Kamiya why he didn't include Phoenix in the poll that Kamiya made. Not so much Smash itself. Or maybe they were having a debate on why Phoenix would be in.

Though the thing that really brings things into doubt is this disclaimer that Kamiya made later:
If he and Takumi were talking about Smash, it stands to reason he'd have clarified such, Otherwise, I think we may be mistaken in regards to this harming Phoenix Wright's chances.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Bit of an update. I've checked Kamiya's page. There's actually a tweet before the one involving "Takshu". This one:
which doesn't seem to be about Phoenix.

I'm beginning to think that in actuality, Shu would've been asking Kamiya why he didn't include Phoenix in the poll that Kamiya made. Not so much Smash itself. Or maybe they were having a debate on why Phoenix would be in.

Though the thing that really brings things into doubt is this disclaimer that Kamiya made later:
If he and Takumi were talking about Smash, it stands to reason he'd have clarified such, Otherwise, I think we may be mistaken in regards to this harming Phoenix Wright's chances.
We really just went "**** the Squenix part of the thread" huh gang

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
We really just went "**** the Squenix part of the thread" huh gang
There's almost no reason to distrust the Erdrick side of things with everyone jumping on to him, unless Nintendo really tricks them all into believing something false. And now that we possibly have the entire DLC line-up in front of our eyes, chances are many are going to move to them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's almost no reason to distrust the Erdrick side of things with everyone jumping on to him, unless Nintendo really tricks them all into believing something false. And now that we possibly have the entire DLC line-up in front of our eyes, chances are many are going to move to them.
That said, this thread only really exists due to do the SE factor. It admittedly is a bit too off-topic at times.

However, if Erdrick becomes the choice, the thread pretty much is likely to be locked, or made into a more general SE discussion thread. It depends what works better. I intend to talk among the Moderation.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Welp, time to start those Season 2 pass wishlists I suppose.

Or Smash 6 wishlists depending on how Nintendo wants to handle DLC for this game.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
That said, this thread only really exists due to do the SE factor. It admittedly is a bit too off-topic at times.

However, if Erdrick becomes the choice, the thread pretty much is likely to be locked, or made into a more general SE discussion thread. It depends what works better. I intend to talk among the Moderation.
If you take suggestions, I'd say just lock it if/when Erdrick is announced. Discussion on Ryu/Steve/Marine can easily just continue on their support threads and the general speculation threads as well.

D

Deleted member

Erdrick has some ties with rather nasty ideas; that I'm sure a different, albeit just as large crowd, would take issue with.
Sorry, forgot that if Erdrick gets in, the music on his stage will contain the composer telling the listener that the **** of Nanking never happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Aaaaaannnnddd... There's the possibility killer right there. Comprising the Pass in such a way that everyone will know who's in by E3. Way to ruin what were otherwise sensible choices for characters. And if by some miracle, it becomes real, then congrats Nintendo! You're terrible organizing DLC announcements, unless the whole "everyone will be done by February 2020" was just a precaution like those redeemable DLC codes that don't expire until unrealistic dates.
E3 isn't the only time games get announced. More and more publishers-- including Nintendo-- are announcing games outside of the conference so they don't have to compete for time with other publishers. We live in the age of social media where any news spreads like wildfire then is quickly forgotten.

Not that I believe the leak-- I don't-- but surely whatever schedule the DLC is on was collaborated with any third party company they had to negotiate the rights with. Those companies wouldn't just say, "Yeah, sure, use and release our character whenever. We trust ya."

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wait. What the hell is going on? Everyone's taking things Kamiya says as concrete proof of something?

I'm confused.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You really think a professional game developer would turn down developing a character because of his own personal opinion on them?
Well, Ridley didn't get initially in because in Sakurai's opinion, he was too big. And as you also mentioned, he felt that Villager wouldn't work intiailly before Smash 4. So.....yeah. Could happen and has happened before.
I said his own preferences don't matter because he didn't choose the characters. That's not a contradiction.
He's human just like the rest of us. There's always going to be some preference in his decisions. Some aspects greater than others.
Haha no I'm done dude, you and I both know it's Erdrick
To clarify what I meant; I meant "what happened when we put stock in any Squenix character" because neither Fly nor myself wanted Erdrick the most for a Squenix rep.
Okay, look, Luigi The President Luigi The President and Flyboy Flyboy don't shoot me down just because I haven't surrendered completely to the idea that we're getting Erdrick, despite whatever it may benefit.

I don't buy into the whole "last time we stock in whatever" thing, because the outcome hasn't even happened yet.

I'm legit confused. Did I say something wrong? What's the drama for here?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, when the SE character does get revealed, will this thread close? Or will you guys keep talking about other potential SE characters that can join later on?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, Ridley didn't get initially in because in Sakurai's opinion, he was too big. And as you also mentioned, he felt that Villager wouldn't work intiailly before Smash 4. So.....yeah. Could happen and has happened before.

He's human just like the rest of us. There's always going to be some preference in his decisions. Some aspects greater than others.

Okay, look, Luigi The President Luigi The President and Flyboy Flyboy don't shoot me down just because I haven't surrendered completely to the idea that we're getting Erdrick, despite whatever it may benefit.

I don't buy into the whole "last time we stock in whatever" thing, because the outcome hasn't even happened yet.

I'm legit confused. Did I say something wrong? What's the drama for here?
There is no drama...
Fly's a friend of mine so I made a joke knowing that, because the pick is likely Erdrick, neither of us got the Squenix rep we wanted.
Because I misworded it you understandably were confused.
Sorry for shooting you down. Hopefully you can understand why I have no choice but to believe it's Erdrick ATM.

I know. I was mostly joking because I've been taking part in the non-SE related discussion.
Also, I'm pretty damn sure that DLC list will have a lucky guess (Joker) right and not much else.

D

Deleted member

I guess we can create a general support thread for a square rep if it closes, cant see it going very far though.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I know. I was mostly joking because I've been taking part in the non-SE related discussion.
Also, I'm pretty damn sure that DLC list will have a lucky guess (Joker) right and not much else.
Actually, the list was posted after Joker was announced, if anyone would be the lucky guess here is Erdrick. But we probably won't know until around February at the very least.

Top Bottom