• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZelDan

Smash Master
Bayonetta is pretty brutal. MGSV has you killing kids. P5's plot is kicked off by a ****. Doom has nothing other series in Smash don't have
The only part of DOOM I think that would be a bit much for Smash are those finishing moves from the 2016 games, but I'm sure those would be easy to work around (just include toned down ones or include the ones that'd be easier to make less bloody or gory)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Welp, if you ask me, that is definitely confirmation that it's Erdrick then if Tansut is saying that it's him. At least, that's my view, given he was the only one able to confidently leak Cloud.

Temper your expectations, as I always recommend, but that just sealed the deal for me personally.

ETA: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...wdown-of-ultimate-destiny.84900/post-16411936

The source of Tansut's claim, for those who want to see it!
Hmm......that is very interesting. I wonder when exactly will they unveil the next Smash DLC character?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
if i recall, didn't the original Joker + Erdrick 5ch leak say he would have his male + female versions as costumes? so maybe something like this for what he would look like

it looks very close to the one you posted, but his hair is a little darker, i wonder which version they'll go with hair color wise if they actually put him in
Gohan and Pan, eh?

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Yeah so? Sakurai even noted in his latest column that "his love for Persona 5 encouraged him to put the work necessary into Joker". This blatantly says it wasn't his call but he was happy that he could work on a character he likes so much.
It's just a coincidence.
Wasn't aware of that, it is a funny coincidence though. It's nice that Sakurai gets to work on a character that he's a big fan of.

Erdrick is probably the SE rep though, Sakurai bias aside.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hmm......that is very interesting. I wonder when exactly will they unveil the next Smash DLC character?
I'm honestly thinking we'll get the next character teaser/trailer in the next Direct. Here's how I see it playing it out:
  • Final Smash Direct: The Plant and Fighters Pass revealed, gameplay
  • The Game Awards: Joker revealed
  • Q1 2019 Direct: The Plant release date, Erdrick reveal (they've likely got it ready), release date, *Joker Gameplay, release date
  • E3 2019: Character 3 reveal, gameplay, release date, Character 4 reveal, *Joker Gameplay, release date
  • Q3 2019 Direct: Character 4 gameplay, release date, Character 5 reveal
  • Q4 2019 Direct: Character 5 gameplay, release date, announcement of Fighters Pass 2/Ultimate Ballot
Joker Gameplay could be either Q1 2019 or E3 2019, so I added it to both of them. Just know that it's one or the other, and not both.

If you want my thoughts on the 5chan leak being our DLC lineup, I think it'd be great. The only thing that raises question is the lack of Lloyd Irving or a Namco Character entirely, especially given that insiders have heard Lloyd and Yuri's names being passed around, but it's still an A+ lineup. Each character is an all-star in their own right, and I'd be extremely satisfied.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Regarding the question of which design they would use for Erdrick; I think a composite design is fairly likely, using elements from both the NES design and the SNES design that they feel would work best for his appearance in Smash.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What Sakurai prefers means jack **** when he had no input in the character list.
Actually he did. Remember, like he said, he decides from the characters that Nintendo presented before him, which they can work with. And thus, those that get in on this DLC train.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Joker, Erdrick, Steve, Hayabusa, Doomguy.

Well. That's 1 on my wishlist. Yay. At least I'd have some Steve.
Doomguy's very cool. Just funny that I couldn't even get Dovahkiin for the Bethesda rep.
I know nothing about Hayabusa but he seems very cool as well and is definitely important to gaming history.

Steve, though. Yeehaw.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The only part of DOOM I think that would be a bit much for Smash are those finishing moves from the 2016 games, but I'm sure those would be easy to work around (just include toned down ones or include the ones that'd be easier to make less bloody or gory)
I mean, compared to Bayo's torture devices, Doomguy's execution are quick and to the point. He usually does not spend more than 3-4 seconds on a demon before moving onto the next.
Doomguy's very cool. Just funny that I couldn't even get Dovahkiin for the Bethesda rep.
Well, I think Doomguy would be the preferred option to Sakurai. He has Nintendo history, represents an underrepresented genre in Smash, is iconic, has massively influenced gaming as a whole, and has great unique moveset potential. I even faintly recall Sakurai giving high praise to the creators of Doom for what they did, though I forget where I saw it.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Doom also has Satanic references and is outright advertising the gratuitous violence as a primary feature. I highly doubt that any FPS character will be in Smash.
Persona 5 and Bayonetta lol
I wouldn't really include them, outside of maybe some as throws

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean, compared to Bayo's torture devices, Doomguy's execution are quick and to the point. He usually does not spend more than 3-44 secounds a demon before moving onto the next.

Well, I think Doomguy would be the preferred option to Sakurai. He has Nintendo history, represents an underrepresented genre in Smash, is iconic, has massively influenced gaming as a whole, and has great unique moveset potential. I even faintly recall Sakurai giving high praise to the creators of Doom for what they did, though I forget where I saw it.
Except FPSes as a whole are not very popular in Japan and I think that the DLC will cater more to the Japanese audience.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My thoughts on the 5chan leak is that I'd be very satisfied with the lineup as well (even though it could very well consist of third party characters.)

They've all played their parts within the video games history, so it kinda makes sense on their inclusions.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly, Hayabusa, Doomguy, and Steve don't interest me that much, but I already got my dream guy in Joker, so I have no qualms at all who else fills in the spots.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Joker and Edrick are fine, but I'm glad that lineup isn't confirmed as the other three straight up either bore me or really don't interest me. Besides, something in that lineup ain't Wright.

D

Deleted member

I'll always find it funny how DOOM has "Satanic demons" and "incentivates violence" but no one puts the two together which is the whole point of the game: incentivating violence against satanic demons.
I think a change of pace is in order, which is why I'm going to start supporting Agrias as the square rep
I'm interested. Please, continue.
Actually he did. Remember, like he said, he decides from the characters that Nintendo presented before him, which they can work with. And thus, those that get in on this DLC train.
The idea that he was given a list to choose from was pulled out of thin air and his tweet implied nothing of the such.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Except FPSes as a whole are not very popular in Japan and I think that the DLC will cater more to the Japanese audience.
I don't really think that is the method they will be going with this list of characters. Steve, while very popular in Japan now, is a worldwide phenomena. Ryu Hayabusa is a great, well know classic rep. Erdrick is the only really Japanese focused character, and Doomguy could perhaps be their way of balancing it out with a very western character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't really think that is the method they will be going with this list of characters. Steve, while very popular in Japan now, is a worldwide phenomena. Ryu Hayabusa is a great, well know classic rep. Erdrick is the only really Japanese focused character, and Doomguy could perhaps be their way of balancing it out with a very western character.
I highly doubt that there will be any Western characters, period. If there is a Bethesda character I think that it will be from Skyrim.
There's such thing as a delicate balance. Having Doomguy for Western excitement is just as important as having Erdrick for Japan.
They can cater to Western audiences with other characters, you know. They don't have to use Doomguy.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I highly doubt that there will be any Western characters, period. If there is a Bethesda character I think that it will be from Skyrim.

They can cater to Western audiences with other characters, you know. They don't have to use Doomguy.
Uh, yeah, they don't, but Doomguy is one of the best "Western" third party picks out there. Let's not fool ourselves here.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The idea that he was given a list to choose from was pulled out of thin air and his tweet implied nothing of the such.
Oh for Galeem's sake, not this again. :U Look,
He explicitly said that he decides if he can create a fighter based from their selections, ergo, he still has notable say in the overall plan with if they can make a fighter work or not.

I don't know what interpretation of that you've got, but how you can come away thinking he has no say whatsoever, is a mystery to me.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The only Japanese Bethesda pick is the Evil Within guy

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Uh, yeah, they don't, but Doomguy is one of the best "Western" third party picks out there. Let's not fool ourselves here.
They can appeal to Western audiences with a plethora of characters. I think that the Fighter Pass will be all Japanese third-party characters anyways.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Well hey, Geno fans already have more in the game than many other fans and franchises have got. It's not the worst.

Trust me as a Phoenix Wright fan.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful. But to have gratefully accepted a mii costume last game as what (at the time) seemed like a promise of something greater to come, yet to arrive only to have an opportunity to purchase more of the same feels... bittersweet. At least phoenix wright has seen a playable role outside his home game, AND in a fighting game no less.

D

Deleted member

Oh for Galeem's sake, not this again. :U Look,
He explicitly said that he decides if he can create a fighter based from their selections, ergo, he still has notable say in the overall plan with if they can make a fighter work or not.

I don't know what interpretation of that you've got, but how you can come away thinking he has no say whatsoever, is a mystery to me.
The DLC selection was made by Nintendo. It says that right there. All Sakurai has a say in is whether or not they can make those characters in case he has issues with certain characters(like he had with Villager and Ridley in the past).
There's no mention in there of him saying he chose any characters.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They can appeal to Western audiences with a plethora of characters. I think that the Fighter Pass will be all Japanese third-party characters anyways.
They sure can! And I'm telling you that Doomguy has proved himself to be one of the best Western picks they can go for.
With the logic you have, they can do the same thing for Japan. So why not just throw, I don't know, a Goomba in there because hey, it's gonna appeal to Japan.

Also, no, it's not gonna be all Japanese. But we're just gonna have to agree to disagree there.

Also, take a look at this.

Also, I found this.
He referred to John Carmack as "The Father of the FPS's." That is some high praise, and showcases that there is a link of appreciation between Sakurai and Doom.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Also, I found this.
He referred to John Carmack as "The Father of the FPS's." That is some high praise, and showcases that there is a link of appreciation between Sakurai and Doom.
Except Sakurai isn't choosing the characters. Nintendo is, and they don't care about what Sakurai's wants.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Except Sakurai isn't choosing the characters. Nintendo is, and they don't care about what Sakurai's wants.
Wow. What a hefty claim. Reggie himself stated Sakurai is quite involved in the DLC character process. Pretty insulting to imply Nintendo has absolutely no care regarding the characters Sakurai wants to see.

D

Deleted member

Why are we trusting Reggie's PR wording more than Sakurai's own again?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But Joker is sure not proof of that, and the tweet that said Nintendo made the selection does indicate that Sakurai still has some amount of creative control. And I do think they care about there star developer performing at his peak, and taking all creative control would do quite thee opposite, if you ask me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There still is a good chance that the Fighter Pass will be all Japanese. That's what I want anyways, and you should respect that.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There still is a good chance that the Fighter Pass will be all Japanese. That's what I want anyways, and you should respect that.
Sure I'll respect what you want, but I'm not gonna respect you saying there's a "good chance" it'll be all Japanese. Because that's a bull**** claim.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
All Sakurai has a say in is whether or not they can make those characters in case he has issues with certain characters(like he had with Villager and Ridley in the past).
So why did you claim that he has jack squat to say in the matter then? That's a contradiction.

Furthermore, do you have the source that explicitly clarifies it could only be if he had issues with them and nothing else?
seemed like a promise of something greater to come, yet to arrive only to have an opportunity to purchase more of the same feels... bittersweet.
TGS 2018 for Ace Attorney fans in a nutshell. Eh heh. Yeah, it can sting something fierce.
At least phoenix wright has seen a playable role outside his home game, AND in a fighting game no less.
And admittedly, a Puzzle Fighter game, massive crossover RPG, a Layton crossover, showing up in some Taiko drums game, E3 showcases, and an upcoming RPG of sorts.

Granted, we've got a case of Capcom not quite giving the series the attention that it could use, and well, we've been longing hard for Ace Attorney in Smash for over a decade to give the series the bump it could use. It's popular yes, but Capcom are ever so stubborn with releases overseas. Something Smash could help remedy.

Top Bottom