• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If the guy who leaked Cloud is saying it's Erdrick, then it probably is. Oh well, Crono was a long shot anyways.

How will you guys feel if the DLC roster ends up being the one from that Japanese text leak?

That would be cool to see if they implement it right.

Or, if they want to go with a "Goku but not really" angle, they could work in Tension somehow.
Ok, let's Say Erdrick is in.
I literally wouldn't need anything else for Smash ever again. (Maybe Mike Jones from StarTropics, but I've come to grips with reality, and found my peace admitting that will just never happen).

Now, if they Japanese leak is real....

Doom Marine alone would already make this game far exceed my expectations, and Ryu Hayabusa would be the Cherry on top of it all!

-

As to how Erdrick could play mechanic wise?

I have a few ideas.
- MP System and Magic menu.
With B neutral you either open up a menu with a variety of Magic, or you cycle through them a'la Shulk monado. Each spell consumes MP which can be recovered by walking (there's an item in DQ for that, I think).

- Tension System
Down+B would make Erdrick tense up. Allowing his next move (any) to hit harder.
It would have the following Power Levels:
>Tension 1 = +5 damage.
> Tension 2 = + 20 damage
> Tension 3 = + 50 damage
> Tension 4 = + 100 damage. But there's a 50/50 it can fail. If it's succeeds, Erdrick will enter a Super-saiyan looking state until he uses up a move.

- Monster Master
With one of his specials he can Summon from up to 3 different Monsters from the DQ series.
These could be:
> Slime (hops forward, but once it collides with an enemy, the Slime will focus on bopping on his head until he's dispatched (one hit is all it takes)

> Chimera. A flying Monster that will hover forward until it's comes into firing range of AM opponent. It'll cast a Bowser like Fire breath for a second. Take 2 seconds to recharge, before he fires again. Takes 15% damage to dispatch.

> Golem. A big, slow Monster Made up of pieces of rocks that is essentially a wall that packs a big Punch. Slowly walks to an opponent, and when it comes in range, Will Punch him/her with they strenght of a Falcon Punch. Doesn't flinch. Takes 50% to dispatch.

Erdrick would only be able to Summon 1 at a time. Monster will Flee after 15-20 seconds.

- Magic debuffs and status ailments
Other than offense Magic, Erdrick could be the first Character to have an arsenal of status ailment inflicting moves, such as lowering opponent's defense, slowing them down, poisoning them, paralyzing them, etc.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Actually, he wasn't disconfirmed. The tweet you're probably talking about only had the guy who said so download the DLC. There's no way he'd actually know if Master Chief was in or not, based off of just that.

Man, if I had a dollar for everytime me or @Legendary Spirit Tamer have had to point this out these days...XD!
Oh, d'oy! That's good to know, though, thank you! Looks like that's a pretty big piece of misinfo going around then...

You have my sword. I will fight to destroy this misinformation at your side.

where are my dramatic thunderbolts y'all

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Ok, let's Say Erdrick is in.
I literally wouldn't need anything else for Smash ever again. (Maybe Mike Jones from StarTropics, but I've come to grips with reality, and found my peace admitting that will just never happen).

Now, if they Japanese leak is real....

Doom Marine alone would already make this game far exceed my expectations, and Ryu Hayabusa would be the Cherry on top of it all!

-

As to how Erdrick could play mechanic wise?

I have a few ideas.
- MP System and Magic menu.
With B neutral you either open up a menu with a variety of Magic, or you cycle through them a'la Shulk monado. Each spell consumes MP which can be recovered by walking (there's an item in DQ for that, I think).

- Tension System
Down+B would make Erdrick tense up. Allowing his next move (any) to hit harder.
It would have the following Power Levels:
>Tension 1 = +5 damage.
> Tension 2 = + 20 damage
> Tension 3 = + 50 damage
> Tension 4 = + 100 damage. But there's a 50/50 it can fail. If it's succeeds, Erdrick will enter a Super-saiyan looking state until he uses up a move.

- Monster Master
With one of his specials he can Summon from up to 3 different Monsters from the DQ series.
These could be:
> Slime (hops forward, but once it collides with an enemy, the Slime will focus on bopping on his head until he's dispatched (one hit is all it takes)

> Chimera. A flying Monster that will hover forward until it's comes into firing range of AM opponent. It'll cast a Bowser like Fire breath for a second. Take 2 seconds to recharge, before he fires again. Takes 15% damage to dispatch.

> Golem. A big, slow Monster Made up of pieces of rocks that is essentially a wall that packs a big Punch. Slowly walks to an opponent, and when it comes in range, Will Punch him/her with they strenght of a Falcon Punch. Doesn't flinch. Takes 50% to dispatch.

Erdrick would only be able to Summon 1 at a time. Monster will Flee after 15-20 seconds.

- Magic debuffs and status ailments
Other than offense Magic, Erdrick could be the first Character to have an arsenal of status ailment inflicting moves, such as lowering opponent's defense, slowing them down, poisoning them, paralyzing them, etc.
My Main issue with your ideas (which aren't bad by any means ) is just the Tension System wouldn't really fit Erdrick since it was introduced in Dragon Quest VIII same with the Monster Master idea. I feel if they wanted to have a charcter that was composite of Dragon Quest Heroes that would be fine but i think they should stick with mechanics for Erdrick's moveset that was in DQ3 and it's remake rather than bringing in mechanics from future games. Your MP Idea works great though i am concerned it may be too similar to Robin.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
While not my first choice, that lineup is still pretty solid. If the directive was to emphasize guests, it's pretty balanced.

Joker - JRPG // 2016 // East
Erdrick - JRPG // 1988 // East
Steve - Creation // 2009 // West
Hayabusa - Action // 1988 // East
Doomguy - FPS // 1995 // West

That said, the main thing that makes me skeptical is that there's no Namco rep. Guess we'll have to wait and see. If this turns out to be true, there's a lot of moveset potential in that list.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Why is everyone hopping on Edrick's **** again? Did I miss some leak with photo's and a video of him ****ing Geno's wife in front of him while he sob's softly into his cape?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm very confused as to why you're so certain, and confused on what this means. Yes, Dragon Quest is very popular in Japan, but pretty much only Japan. That would be why it's listed here (and not listed on everything). By your logic should we have Layton and KOS-MOS in Smash?

I hate Erdrick's neon SNES design haha, I like the slightly more muted NES one, but I'm still not super keen on it.
We totally should have Layton in Smash tho.

The Square DLC is all but identified, and if we follow hitagi, this portends the advent of steve.
The end times are upon us.
Hitagi hadn’t leaked Erdrick, at least not to my knowledge.

Please God Steve can’t be in Smash.

Why is everyone hopping on Edrick's **** again? Did I miss some leak with photo's and a video of him ****ing Geno's wife in front of him while he sob's softly into his cape?
Guy that leaked Cloud now leaked Erdrick.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'd just like to put out this question for debate: The general consensus is that Square is air tight with leaks, correct? That's why they use leak bait in the first place, it's another tactic to keep thing's from getting out. So why are so many people backing DQ with such confidence? Wouldn't hearing a name be abundantly pushed maybe suggest that name is being pushed for a reason? Did anything happen to the person who originally leaked Edrick? Did they drop off the face of the earth after the initial leak?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My Main issue with your ideas (which aren't bad by any means ) is just the Tension System wouldn't really fit Erdrick since it was introduced in Dragon Quest VIII same with the Monster Master idea. I feel if they wanted to have a charcter that was composite of Dragon Quest Heroes that would be fine but i think they should stick with mechanics for Erdrick's moveset that was in DQ3 and it's remake rather than bringing in mechanics from future games. Your MP Idea works great though i am concerned it may be too similar to Robin.
I see. Well, I added the non-Erdrick mechanics just in case he has Luminary for an alt (since tension is part of DQXI)

And I admit I crave for a Monster Summon mechanic, so I'll give you that.

But the Magic System would be different from Robin's in at least 3 ways.

1) Selecting/cycling (Like Shulk) instead of charging. (Robin/Pacman)

2) Magic acts different in DQ.
Just to adressed the elements Erdrick and Robin would share in common:
Robin's Fire tome: Is a PK Fire clone.
Erdrick's Fire Magic:
- Straight fireball
- Flames that roll across the ground
- Gigantic sphere of Fire
Robin's thunder tomé releases from hks/her hand horizontally forward.
Erdrick's Zap Magic crashes down from the Sky, like Pikachu's Down+B. Hks Kazap Magic caused multiple thunderbolts that condense into a huge ball of Lightning.
(And after these, there's the debuff Magic I was talking about. There's ironize, and a few others)

3) Shared MP System across all magic rather than specific spendable tomes.

4) Hopefully, all magic is restricted to B neutral, to make room for non-magical abilities for his other specials. While Robin's specials are all Magic tomes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd just like to put out this question for debate: The general consensus is that Square is air tight with leaks, correct? That's why they use leak bait in the first place, it's another tactic to keep thing's from getting out. So why are so many people backing DQ with such confidence? Wouldn't hearing a name be abundantly pushed maybe suggest that name is being pushed for a reason? Did anything happen to the person who originally leaked Edrick? Did they drop off the face of the earth after the initial leak?
Is the consensus that Square is airtight with leaks? Cloud got leaked, didn’t Noctis for Tekken also get leaked?

That’s about all I know, but it isn’t too great of a track record.

Plus the thing with leaks is that when if person gets it there’s no reason many others can’t, given that people might share sources. And then you have guys like Polar Panda who, while not leaking, vouch for other people’s connections.

Finally, even if Squeenix is airtight, this is Smash, and there’s the Nintendo factor. While Joker and the Metroid Prime rumors prove that when they put their minds to it they can be great at secrets, Vergeben, Box Theory, Gematsu and ESRB show they’re still clowns.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I bet they will incorprate Erdrick's armor as an alt or a gameplay mechanic

Mobius_FF_Erdrick.png

DQ_Museum_Erdrick_Equipment.png

I see. Well, I added the non-Erdrick mechanics just in case he has Luminary for an alt (since tension is part of DQXI)

And I admit I crave for a Monster Summon mechanic, so I'll give you that.

But the Magic System would be different from Robin's in at least 3 ways.

1) Selecting/cycling (Like Shulk) instead of charging. (Robin/Pacman)

2) Magic acts different in DQ.
Just to adressed the elements Erdrick and Robin would share in common:
Robin's Fire tome: Is a PK Fire clone.
Erdrick's Fire Magic:
- Straight fireball
- Flames that roll across the ground
- Gigantic sphere of Fire
Robin's thunder tomé releases from hks/her hand horizontally forward.
Erdrick's Zap Magic crashes down from the Sky, like Pikachu's Down+B. Hks Kazap Magic caused multiple thunderbolts that condense into a huge ball of Lightning.
(And after these, there's the debuff Magic I was talking about. There's ironize, and a few others)

3) Shared MP System across all magic rather than specific spendable tomes.

4) Hopefully, all magic is restricted to B neutral, to make room for non-magical abilities for his other specials. While Robin's specials are all Magic tomes.
A lot of cool ideas, i definetly dig it - i honestly think Erdrick would have a lot of potential for him not to be just another sword fighter

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Is the consensus that Square is airtight with leaks? Cloud got leaked, didn’t Noctis for Tekken also get leaked?

That’s about all I know, but it isn’t too great of a track record.

Plus the thing with leaks is that when if person gets it there’s no reason many others can’t, given that people might share sources. And then you have guys like Polar Panda who, while not leaking, vouch for other people’s connections.

Finally, even if Squeenix is airtight, this is Smash, and there’s the Nintendo factor. While Joker and the Metroid Prime rumors prove that when they put their minds to it they can be great at secrets, Vergeben, Box Theory, Gematsu and ESRB show they’re still clowns.
I admit; every place there IS a leak there is another company involved.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
An idea i had regarding Erdrick is give him an armour mechanic (kinda like Arthur from MVC3 but expanded upon). Like him switching between different armours then give him benefits and maybe changing his moveset

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Thinking on it, i think pepole don't give Erdrick enough credit in terms of the unquie mechanics and ideas he can bring to the series. He would definetly not be just another "anime" swordfighter character

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
An idea i had regarding Erdrick is give him an armour mechanic (kinda like Arthur from MVC3 but expanded upon). Like him switching between different armours then give him benefits and maybe changing his moveset
That's yet another way to go. Sounds interesting too. Definitely Unique to the series.

It's terrible when people think of him as yet another Marth clone.
When even his stance would be more barbaric than an FE lord's. Heck, Erdrick's idle stance would be wilder's than Link's. And I think Link would be the character base to use, just like Ike was for Cloud, and ZSS for Bayo.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
That's yet another way to go. Sounds interesting too. Definitely Unique to the series.

It's terrible when people think of him as yet another Marth clone.
When even his stance would be more barbaric than an FE lord's. Heck, Erdrick's idle stance would be wilder's than Link's. And I think Link would be the character base to use, just like Ike was for Cloud, and ZSS for Bayo.
I wonder if his idle stance will be this keeping his sword sheathed and more relying on magic/shield before drawing out his sword for smash attacks and then putting it back in

DQIIIHeroArt.png

RandomAce

Smash Champion
No cap, I would only really accept Erdrick if he looks like this:

185ABBD1-219B-479A-A906-2D8D261DD17C.jpeg

DQ11’s version is the best in my opinion.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Ahh ok yea those are just two slightly different interpretations of the same design. The figure he posted predates DQ 11 by a good couple of years. I would know because I've been trying to get that figure. T . T
Yeah, they will probably go with a design similar to the Victory version with the blue/purple one being an alt

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You know; If we get Edrick, I want him in that funky looking armor. If he had a move where he head butted with the spikey ass helmet, that would be pretty lit, tbh.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
You know; If we get Edrick, I want him in that funky looking armor. If he had a move where he head butted with the spikey *** helmet, that would be pretty lit, tbh.
I really want them to implement a level up mechanic where is the battle goes on he gets more and more pieces of his armor, think of it like Lucario's aura or something.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You know; If we get Edrick, I want him in that funky looking armor. If he had a move where he head butted with the spikey *** helmet, that would be pretty lit, tbh.
You said something nice about DQ? Better go check outside to make sure there aren’t any flying pigs.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I really want them to implement a level up mechanic where is the battle goes on he gets more and more pieces of his armor, think of it like Lucario's aura or something.
I completely agree, i think a Level Up Mechanic would be a simple mechanic but it would make him a very unique fighter in the Smash Roster and could be used in various different ways. I think Frank West is a good base of what i want Erdrick's level up mechanic to work in game if it happens.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
So question.
How long before the official Cloud reveal did the Cloud leaker leak Cloud?
Cloud was leaked on Dec. 15, so about a month. He never directly leaks things, he only uses very strong implications (probably to get Nintendo/SE off his ass)

There was another post he made in the beginning of that December where he says something along the lines of "expect strong overcast on Dec. 16" He was a day off, but it's close enough to show that he has some kind of information.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/
Huh, so Sakurai favors Dragon Quest 3 out of the DQ series. Interesting to know.
That seals the deal.

Get ready for Erdrick, lads.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Plus - the reveal that Dragon Quest 11 was a prequel to 3 and that it ends with the beginning of 3 makes me think that a DQ3 Remake on the Switch is likely the next big DQ Game which would coincide nicely with Erdrick being in Smash

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Cloud was leaked on Dec. 15, so about a month. He never directly leaks things, he only uses very strong implications (probably to get Nintendo/SE off his ***)

There was another post he made in the beginning of that December where he says something along the lines of "expect strong overcast on Dec. 16" He was a day off, but it's close enough to show that he has some kind of information.

That seals the deal.

Get ready for Erdrick, lads.
My only question is why be so direct with Erdrick?

Plus - the reveal that Dragon Quest 11 was a prequel to 3 and that it ends with the beginning of 3 makes me think that a DQ3 Remake on the Switch is likely the next big DQ Game which would coincide nicely with Erdrick being in Smash
The series producer has talked about doing a DQ3 remake before as well.

https://www.vgr.com/square-enix-could-remake-dragon-quest-iii-after-dragon-quest-xii/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/
Huh, so Sakurai favors Dragon Quest 3 out of the DQ series. Interesting to know.
And FF3 is his favorite as well. ONION KNIGHT IS CONFIRMED
Ok for real, DQ3 being his favorite like -Coco- -Coco- said isn't that surprising since domestically it's the fan favorite game, like FF7.

Man I'm trying to not get giddy now but damn this is exciting.
I think you should put that in a spoiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom