• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Nomura doesn't own any FF related assets though as far as I'm aware (if I'm wrong feel free to correct me). Horii, Toriyama, and Sugiyama hold the rights to most DQ related assets.
As far as I'm aware he owns the likeness of certain FF characters, it's why his namenis written alongside squares on the amiibo.

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie
I'm tellin ya'll; Space Invader's would be the best out of left field pick. Retro rep? How more retro can you get?
I feel like Taito characters, in general, are getting overlooked. Bub and Bob, for example, fit the big rememberable NES character mold and are still around due to the bust a move/puzzle bobble games.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I feel like Taito characters, in general, are getting overlooked. Bub and Bob, for example, fit the big rememberable NES character mold and are still around due to the bust a move/puzzle bobble games.
i'd be totally down with that Old NES i think deserve it

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I'm done giving you the benefit of the doubt, you're just trying to raise hell for no reason at this point. You act like every single person who will ever buy a DQ character will do so while smugly grinning and saying 'ah yes, glad I can support my favorite war crime denier' under their breath.
I dont know much about how much of this is true regarding this composer. However, if the composer has a connection to it, then I would say its certainly a factor thats looked into.

As much as some of us put these companies on a pedastool, they really are just companies. Which means they have to take into account the optics when associating themselves with a certain group or individual.
Who knows though, may not be enough of a reason to sway from picking a certain character.

Overall I do think DQ is probable as getting some representstion as a series. Despite it not being as popular in the west, It still has enough momentum to have 11 main games. Id say based off that info alone, DQ does deserve a spot. At least if smash has become more of a game that represents gaming history as a whole. Same goes for the Tales of series ofcourse.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't know how you can root for a character when a parent company (whether it be Armor Project,, Bird Studio, Disney etc) when they could annihilate an entire competitive community.

Is it really worth it considering how much hard work had been accomplished by thousands of players.
Every company could decide to nuke the competitive scene. If Capcom decided they don’t want Smash Ultimate tourneys taking eyes away from SFV they can totally just pull the plug. This is all hypothetical, of course.

Plus if it’s just a single character, it can just be banned, especially easy when you’re dealing with DLC.

Can I inverse this question? Why should the composer be payed more than the millions of people who actually programmed Dragon Quest? Why should he make money when so many others put in equally hard work?
Let me introduce you to this beautiful thing called capitalism.

Everyone's forgetting the most likely square rep.

Just Cause Guy
His name is Rico Rodriguez thank you very much.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The Squenix 7 but they're Bohemian Rhapsody lines

Spare him his life from this monstrosity!
(Let me go) Will not let you go

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?
So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me

Nothing really matters, anyone can see
Nothing really matters to me

I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all

Thanks this is my magnum opus @ me with questions
LMAOOOOOOOO
I'm allowed to say different things in different threads. I'm a lot more civil here BECAUSE it is a joint thread.
It’s never a bad idea to be civil EVERYWHERE

It's a shame that this isn't looking like much a problem. Separating art from the artists only works for me when the artist is deceased to be honest. (COUGH MICHEAL JACKSON)
See what we not gonna do is slander Michael Jackson

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So uh, which Square-Enix character on this list has the best hair and why is it Sephiroth? Erdrick's a close second because he has the whole Goku thing going on, but damn Sephiroth looks fabulous af.

Also Geno and Slime BTFO, baldies don't get to partake in this discussion

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So uh, which Square-Enix character on this list has the best hair and why is it Sephiroth? Erdrick's a close second because he has the whole Goku thing going on, but damn Sephiroth looks fabulous af.

Sora has the best hair. He's got that nice in-between of ridiculous anime hair and somewhat plausible actual hairstyles. It's spiky, but not too spiky. Sora's hair honestly looks more like Goku's than Erdrick's, Erdrick has Gohan hair.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Because it's better to have long straight hair compared to generic shonen spikes.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I will bring up something else Fatman noted though.

DQ in Smash has been discussed so long it seems like it may have been something considered for base roster.
It's in an entirely different spot compared to all other DLC's. Nobody has an idea who our remaining 4 are beyond Squenix rep which may be DQ.

But since DQ may have been /pushed/ to DLC, maybe SE would get two DLC reps.

I don't buy it, but it's interesting, albeit a little complicated.
I'll be brutally honest.

The inclusion of Dragon Quest making it more likely we get a second Square Enix character sounds like "here's how Bernie could still win" levels of denial. I highly doubt Nintendo will double dip for third party DLC.

Last edited:

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I leave for a day and come back to you guys bashing the Luminary's hair, his hair is fabulous guys cmon
Plus multiple characters in the game comment on how nice his hair is so it is canon and you can't prove me wrong

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I leave for a day and come back to you guys bashing the Luminary's hair, his hair is fabulous guys cmon
Plus multiple characters in the game comment on how nice his hair is so it is canon and you can't prove me wrong
The man looks like Japanese Kurt Cobain lmao

Mike Arcade

Smash Rookie
I'd be all for almost any other SE Character to be included as DLC, except for Sora or any other FFVII character. I have nothing against Sora or FFVII, KH is a fun series (albeit with the most convoluted JRPG story of all time) and if any other FFVII would make it in, it'd be Zach as Cloud's Echo as having another FFVII character I feel would be a bit much. It's just that with the other choices above on the poll (not including Geno of course), there's so much more variety you could have.

I've said it before but Cloud was not my first choice for a SE Character back in Smash 4, heck Bartz from FFV and Terra from FFVI I heard were considered but were not as popular overseas, unlike Cloud. I would have loved to have either of them in, especially since they could have a huge variety of moves and weaponry. Heck any protagonist from FF before VII would be a great choice, even a generic Light Warrior who could Class Change like in FFIII would have been my choice. In an ideal case there would be three FF characters who would represent their respective eras, personally a Light Warrior or Firion from FFII would be my NES era pick, choosing between Cecil, Bartz, and Terra however would be a really tough call. Cloud does represent his era perfectly though regarding where FF went from there on. Any other choice beyond the first seven mainline FF games I'd find would not fit well at all, but that's just me.

But hey, at least there's far less of a chance any characters from say FFVIII or FFX could ever make it in Smash, that'd just be ridiculous. XD
*Remembers FFVII to FFX are getting Switch ports, then remembers Tidus' laugh* Oh, oh god no...

Any DQ Character would do but regarding the history of the series Erdrick would be the best fit due to that character's history, and Crono would be a good pick as well due to how fondly remembered Chrono Trigger is. Any Mana Series character would work well too, but of course how could I not forget but to mention having a Mog or Chocobo as a playable contender. A bit silly but hey almost nothing is out of the realm of possibility for character choices, as long as their video game characters anyway.

So yeah, can't really go wrong with almost any choice from SE. But it'd most likely be a main character from one of their games. Out of any likely character to make it, it'd probably some sort of DQ Hero first and foremost with Geno in second, followed by Crono as a last contender. At least that's how I see it, hope we do get to have another (and quite likely) SE rep, either way they'd be fun to play as. :)

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Will he actually be called Erdrick I wonder, could be something like Dragon Quest Hero, especially if there are skins of other protags.
If the Announcer says Bowser Jr and the Koopalings names, then Erdrick and friends will probably be referred by their name, assuming they have one.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Will he actually be called Erdrick I wonder, could be something like Dragon Quest Hero, especially if there are skins of other protags.

And a Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here.
Merry Christmas
And to answer the question yes the other protagonists could be called by names but I'm not sure these names are cannon other then Erdrick but these are names the protagonists can go by from DQ 1 to 8
1.Alef
2.Allen
3.Erdrick obviously
4.Solo
5.Abel or Luca
6.Rek,Will,Botts,Iza
7.Auster
8.Eight
So they could use these but who knows If they will or not most of these are manga names but heck I use them so lol plus im not sure they care enough to use them at all they could just call them heros lol

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Looked back at last nights posts, and wow, ******** about DQ again? That's unbelievable.

OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer , your Dragon Quest hate boner will never cease to amaze me.
The Squenix 7 but they're Bohemian Rhapsody lines

Spare him his life from this monstrosity!

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?
So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me

Nothing really matters, anyone can see
Nothing really matters to me

I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all

Thanks this is my magnum opus @ me with questions
How are your posts always so good lmao

Luminary's is the best one

D

Deleted member

I'd be all for almost any other SE Character to be included as DLC, except for Sora or any other FFVII character. I have nothing against Sora or FFVII, KH is a fun series (albeit with the most convoluted JRPG story of all time) and if any other FFVII would make it in, it'd be Zach as Cloud's Echo as having another FFVII character I feel would be a bit much. It's just that with the other choices above on the poll (not including Geno of course), there's so much more variety you could have.

I've said it before but Cloud was not my first choice for a SE Character back in Smash 4, heck Bartz from FFV and Terra from FFVI I heard were considered but were not as popular overseas, unlike Cloud. I would have loved to have either of them in, especially since they could have a huge variety of moves and weaponry. Heck any protagonist from FF before VII would be a great choice, even a generic Light Warrior who could Class Change like in FFIII would have been my choice. In an ideal case there would be three FF characters who would represent their respective eras, personally a Light Warrior or Firion from FFII would be my NES era pick, choosing between Cecil, Bartz, and Terra however would be a really tough call. Cloud does represent his era perfectly though regarding where FF went from there on. Any other choice beyond the first seven mainline FF games I'd find would not fit well at all, but that's just me.

But hey, at least there's far less of a chance any characters from say FFVIII or FFX could ever make it in Smash, that'd just be ridiculous. XD
*Remembers FFVII to FFX are getting Switch ports, then remembers Tidus' laugh* Oh, oh god no...

Any DQ Character would do but regarding the history of the series Erdrick would be the best fit due to that character's history, and Crono would be a good pick as well due to how fondly remembered Chrono Trigger is. Any Mana Series character would work well too, but of course how could I not forget but to mention having a Mog or Chocobo as a playable contender. A bit silly but hey almost nothing is out of the realm of possibility for character choices, as long as their video game characters anyway.

So yeah, can't really go wrong with almost any choice from SE. But it'd most likely be a main character from one of their games. Out of any likely character to make it, it'd probably some sort of DQ Hero first and foremost with Geno in second, followed by Crono as a last contender. At least that's how I see it, hope we do get to have another (and quite likely) SE rep, either way they'd be fun to play as. :)
While I still consider FFVI one of my favorites and Terra would've been awesome, Its really not surprising why they went with Cloud. He's the most iconic character of the series and frankly its really awesome having him fight with Link. I wouldn't discard Sephiroth as easily either considering he is also the most iconic FF villain (not the best one of course), and about variety having a long as **** katana is something that has yet to be seen in the game (at least hoping for a boss but thats pretty much impossible). TBH Sephiroth is my second choice after Erdrick due to 2 factors, we have Cloud already so having his villain would be great and I would like to see if Sephiroth is implemented SE would at least bring more FF music to the game.

Also I replayed FFX a few years ago, and gotta say it still surprises me the cold reception on Tidus. I consider him a pretty decent protagonist,

Merry Christmas, or Happy holidays whichever you celebrate!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
While I still consider FFVI one of my favorites and Terra would've been awesome, Its really not surprising why they went with Cloud. He's the most iconic character of the series and frankly its really awesome having him fight with Link. I wouldn't discard Sephiroth as easily either considering he is also the most iconic FF villain (not the best one of course), and about variety having a long as **** katana is something that has yet to be seen in the game (at least hoping for a boss but thats pretty much impossible). TBH Sephiroth is my second choice after Erdrick due to 2 factors, we have Cloud already so having his villain would be great and I would like to see if Sephiroth is implemented SE would at least bring more FF music to the game.

Also I replayed FFX a few years ago, and gotta say it still surprises me the cold reception on Tidus. I consider him a pretty decent protagonist,

Tidus gets a bad rap for a single scene that out of context people make fun of but makes perfect sense as to why he's acting like that in context. X is complicated to look back at when you look at the games before and the games after but it's a good time with good characters.

People should roast Vaan more if they want an easily-roastable protagonist.

D

Deleted member

Tidus gets a bad rap for a single scene that out of context people make fun of but makes perfect sense as to why he's acting like that in context. X is complicated to look back at when you look at the games before and the games after but it's a good time with good characters.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesnt hate Vaan.

beans

Smash Lord

Tidus has the reputation of the Kingdom Hearts storyline.
"I know its stupid, but it makes sense in context"

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

lmfao
I dislike them both. Hahahahahahaha
But I don't dislike Tidus for that awful VA in that scene.

I only disagree on Seph not being the best one (I think you would say Kefka, and I understand the choice, but to me, Sephiroth is the only one that beats him). :p
But yeah, if it's not Erdrick, Sephiroth would be the option I would go with, logically speaking, considering the info we have.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer , your Dragon Quest hate boner will never cease to amaze me.
Dude I mean come on... and this is from the rest of you that calls him a troll.

Maybe he/she could word the sentences a bit better, but jeesh, you act like he/she claims that Dragon Quest is the work of the devil and everyone that likes it is a devil worshiper that drowns puppies and eats grandmas for breakfast.

We are here to talk about potential Square reps, not just Dragon Quest only. Am I on the Erdick hype train? No, I'm not, because I feel that if Square would truly give us a fan favorite as DLC, then it should be someone like Sora Geno or Sephiroth. Characters that have fans worldwide and wouldn't come off as pure marketing purpose. You can bring up it's "legendary status" all you want, but when the franchise is basically a big WHO for most people in the west, it will come off as marketing unless you live in Japan.

If the argument fits with Corrin, whose game hadn't even been released in the west when Corrin was revealed, it fits with Erdick considering how the Dragon Quest stands with the west. I even think that he won't go over so well because of this, on top of being yet one more of the same even with the "Akira Toriyama style". If Corrin is getting hate still to this day, even though the character distinct itself in both look and abilities (except for the counter) why would DQ be any different? Call me a crazy pessimistic skeptic but I don't think he will go over well unless you count in Japan., and this is something I have stated multiple times in this thread yet I'm not a "Dragon Quest hating troll"?

Sure I will be happy for the group of fans if Erdick gets in, but that doesn't mean that I won't feel that Nintendo could have made a much more genuine (aka give someone that most one like the three I recently mentioned) and get annoyed on how it would come off as all things considered.

Also.... just because Y'all are comfortable to buy Dragon Quest even with the composer in mind, doesn't mean everyone has to. It all comes down to personal life. Games like Assasins Creed Odessey might be a great game and have some genuinely great people involved, but I refuse to buy that because it has microtransactions in it, The same goes with games that contain pay to win loot boxes. I don't stand the practices alongside knowing people with gambling issues. I vote with my wallet because it's personal. Everyone one of you is most likely to have one "composer or loot box/microtransaction" part of your life... so, please. It's Christmas for heaven sakes, everyone.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Maybe he/she could word the sentences a bit better, but jeesh, you act like he/she claims that Dragon Quest is the work of the devil and everyone that likes it is a devil worshiper that drowns puppies and eats grandmas for breakfast.

We are here to talk about potential Square reps, not just Dragon Quest only. Am I on the Erdick hype train? No, I'm not, because I feel that if Square would truly give us a fan favorite as DLC, then it should be someone like Sora Geno or Sephiroth. Characters that have fans worldwide and wouldn't come off as pure marketing purpose. You can bring up it's "legendary status" all you want, but when the franchise is basically a big WHO for most people in the west, it will come off as marketing unless you live in Japan.

If the argument fits with Corrin, whose game hadn't even been released in the west when Corrin was revealed, it fits with Erdick considering how the Dragon Quest stands with the west. I even think that he won't go over so well because of this, on top of being yet one more of the same even with the "Akira Toriyama style". If Corrin is getting hate still to this day, even though the character distinct itself in both look and abilities (except for the counter) why would DQ be any different? Call me a crazy pessimistic skeptic but I don't think he will go over well unless you count in Japan., and this is something I have stated multiple times in this thread yet I'm not a "Dragon Quest hating troll"?

Sure I will be happy for the group of fans that exist, but that doesn't mean that I won't feel that Nintendo could have made a much more genuine (aka give someone that most one like the three I recently mentioned) and get annoyed on how it would come off *** all things considered.

Also.... just because Y'all are comfortable to buy Dragon Quest even with the composer in mind, doesn't mean everyone has to. It all comes down to personal life. Games like Assasins Creed Odessey might be a great game and have some genuinely great people involved, but I refuse to buy that because it has microtransactions in it, The same goes with games that contain pay to win loot boxes. I don't stand the practices alongside knowing people with gambling issues. I vote with my wallet because it's personal. Everyone one of you is most likely to have one "composer or loot box/microtransaction" part of your life... so, please. It's Christmas for heaven sakes, everyone.
No.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Sure I will be happy for the group of fans that exist, but that doesn't mean that I won't feel that Nintendo could have made a much more genuine (aka give someone that most one like the three I recently mentioned) and get annoyed on how it would come off *** all things considered.

Thank you man. You didn't have to say that.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If you love Dragon Quest, that's awesome, more power to you and if Erdick or whoever it is from Dragon Quest gets in as DLC... congratz you got someone you're a fan of. But that doesn't mean everyone is a fan of that character nor has to be which is something you need to accept. Merry Christmas to you or whatever you celebrate

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
If you love Dragon Quest, that's awesome, more power to you and if Erdick or whoever it is from Dragon Quest gets in as DLC... congratz you got someone you're a fan of. But that doesn't mean everyone is a fan of that character nor has to be which is something you need to accept. Merry Christmas to you or whatever you celebrate
There's a difference between not being a fan, and being a belligerent ass who constantly stirs **** up just because his stupid puppet won't be in Smash. I couldn't care less about DQ, I just find this guy annoying

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There's a difference between not being a fan, and being a belligerent *** who constantly stirs **** up just because his stupid puppet won't be in Smash. I couldn't care less about DQ, I just find this guy annoying
Of course, it will steer up **** because Opti is against DQ getting in mostly because of a touchy subject, which more than likely where people going in defense mode because it probably came off to them as an indirect jab towards them (hence the "word the argument better") even though it wasn't. It's basic psychology 1o1.

So uh fellas what do you think of video games?
Love it. A huge inspiration for my writing.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There's a difference between not being a fan, and being a belligerent *** who constantly stirs **** up just because his stupid puppet won't be in Smash. I couldn't care less about DQ, I just find this guy annoying
I agree that Opti's behavior has been pretty bad for this whole thing, and I have to admit to being rather ashamed as a Geno fan. That being said, let's all respect each other's preferences, shall we? No need to trash DQ or Geno in the end of all of this. Let's behave with some civility.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas (Eve, where I'm at) or Happy Holidays, everyone! Hope y'all have a lovely holiday!

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Most of his posts here consist of him complaining about DQ, saying that people who like DQ/would buy Erdrick are morally wrong, and ****ting on it (that's not even going into the Geno bull****.) He is the primary source of drama in this thread; look back at the very first thing he posted here and try to tell me otherwise.

We are here to talk about potential Square reps, not just Dragon Quest only.
Erdrick is being backed by pretty much every leaker right now, credible or otherwise; DQ is kind of a hot topic right now. Besides, every time we try to move on, somebody always brings it back to DQ.

Am I on the Erdick hype train? No, I'm not, because I feel that if Square would truly give us a fan favorite as DLC, then it should be someone like Sora Geno or Sephiroth. Characters that have fans worldwide and wouldn't come off as pure marketing purpose. You can bring up it's "legendary status" all you want, but when the franchise is basically a big WHO for most people in the west, it will come off as marketing unless you live in Japan.

I agree with you; I don't know why you're bringing this up.

The difference between you and Optimistic is that Optimistic literally compared Dragon Quest to "cheese you found behind the dumpster."
Also.... just because Y'all are comfortable to buy Dragon Quest even with the composer in mind, doesn't mean everyone has to. It all comes down to personal life. Games like Assasins Creed Odessey might be a great game and have some genuinely great people involved, but I refuse to buy that because it has microtransactions in it, The same goes with games that contain pay to win loot boxes. I don't stand the practices alongside knowing people with gambling issues. I vote with my wallet because it's personal.
Okay?

I never said he had to buy the DLC; he can do whatever the hell he wants to, I don't care. That doesn't make it alright for him to be an obnoxious asshole.
It's Christmas for heaven sakes, everyone.
Merry Christmas.

beans

Smash Lord
What about SE spirits?
Who would you all like to see? (including spirit battles if you have any idea of them)

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
What about SE spirits?
Who would you all like to see?
If Crono doesn't make it, a Spirit would be nice I guess.

Other than that, old-school FF characters (classes from the first game, Cecil, Terra, etc.) and more niche characters (Neku) would be very appreciated.

Top Bottom