• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

I don't know how you can root for a character when a parent company (whether it be Armor Project,, Bird Studio, Disney etc) when they could annihilate an entire competitive community.

Is it really worth it considering how much hard work had been accomplished by thousands of players.
I really couldn't care less if a competitive community loses official support because of a character.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't know how you can root for a character when a parent company (whether it be Armor Project,, Bird Studio, Disney etc) when they could annihilate an entire competitive community.

Is it really worth it considering how much hard work had been accomplished by thousands of players.
Judging by the way they've been active recently, I'd be more scared about Square Enix.

D

Deleted member

Look I get that some people really couldn't care less about DQ and even outright dislike it, but at the moment we don't have any clear information about who is behind the DBFZ fiasco. From the competitive side of things, have you ever thought that if there is a problematic character as DLC, they could very well just remove him from the tournaments easily by not buying them in the tournament machine?

D

Deleted member

Look I get that some people really couldn't care less about DQ and even outright dislike it, but at the moment we don't have any clear information about who is behind the DBFZ fiasco. From the competitive side of things, have you ever thought that if there is a problematic character as DLC, they could very well just remove him from the tournaments easily by not buying them in the tournament machine?
Honestly it just feels like grasping at straws. It's easy to understand where this argument comes from but yall gotta realize that Toriyama is not Toei.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
In case it wasn't already brought up, Vergeben's said this as it relates to Jump Festa and Dragon Ball:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/211141-dragon-ball-fighterz/77326848?jumpto=15#15

Vergeben said:
There was one announced to be shown [Dragonball Fighterz Trailer]
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/bandai-namco-announces-jump-festa-2019-lineup
According to word getting around is something weird happened behind the scenes & there was more than one Dragon Ball related game announcement that got pulled too. I'm trying to look into why or what might have happened since this is strange.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well my friend, I'm sure there will be a lot more until we find out for sure if Erdrick is in or not. Will be one hell of a ride next year.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'd like to think Smash is absent from EVO Japan just so people can have enough time to prepare themselves and not make a mess in Ultimate compared to, let's say Blazblue Cross Tag, a game that got quite controversial for having an EVO spot, despite the fact that it was going to release just a month before the tournament began (not as controversial as the theory about Arc Sys intentionally buying that spot, but still).

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
He's certainly more reliable than Hitagi. If you guy's are allowed to believe Hitagi, I'm allowed to trust Fatman lol.
I'm in the group where Fatman hears the info he's disclosed lol, and I can say Hitagi is not somebody we look down on. I'm great friends with Xenother, who is a close friend to Hitagi as we all know. Xenother and Hitagi are trustworthy. I can't validate all their info, but I will admit they have a lot more connections than us. And they're not a liar at all. Fatman is in the same boat as me. And we both admit how incredibly likely DQ is.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm in the group where Fatman hears the info he's disclosed lol, and I can say Hitagi is not somebody we look down on. I'm great friends with Xenother, who is a close friend to Hitagi as we all know. Xenother and Hitagi are trustworthy. I can't validate all their info, but I will admit they have a lot more connections than us. And they're not a liar at all. Fatman is in the same boat as me. And we both admit how incredibly likely DQ is.
I understand that and I respect you. But I can't agree with you on this point. I feel your friendship hinders your perception of Hitagi slightly, which is fine, but I'm not going to necessarily agree with you.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I understand that and I respect you. But I can't agree with you on this point. I feel your friendship hinders your perception of Hitagi slightly, which is fine, but I'm not going to necessarily agree with you.
Are you just unaware of all the actual leaks Hitagi's gotten right?

He's yet to prove himself trustworthy TO US regarding Smash but we can't just throw him out

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Are you just unaware of all the actual leaks Hitagi's gotten right?

He's yet to prove himself trustworthy TO US regarding Smash but we can't just throw him out
I'm aware he got things for other games right. But his track record for Smash is nothing but sketch. And Smash is another beast.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
This toei stuff doesn’t affect much on DQ’s chances like, at all. Toriyama does not equal Toei, who’s likely the compamy blocking DBFZ rather than Bird Studio.

Also luminary’s hair looks sick what the **** slander is this
I agree, I noted that in the Geno thread. Toei is SUPER strict on DBZ related stuff. People can barely post parody videos, even when CLAIMING it’s a parody, they still send out C&D notices.

Also...Luminary’s hair is okay...it ain’t Eight tho. Honestly I wish Eight were more in the running than either of the supposed DA characters.

So basically it boils down to "Did Toriyama have anything to do with the decision or not?"
And theres not really any reason to believe that he personally did at least that I know of
but I do get where you're coming from here
I think it’s more of a, “Is Bird Studio somehow involved in this? If so, will this affect further Bird Studio properties?” Case and point, Dragon Quest.

A similar situation happened to Friday the 13th game, where the property was being sued, and because of that, it halted all production on everything related to that. Now I don’t think it’s same thing by FAR but an indication how one property holder can affect everything else.

Also, by the way, Nintendo blocked Smash Ultimate at EVO Japan too, if this is related to Toriyama this would point way more to DQ getting in than anything.
If that’s true, that would be horrible for Smash and not a good business decision at all. I feel like Nintendo super cares about longevity.

To an extent, I agree, honestly. I don't think the importance is inherently that, "omg they tweeted about SMRPG's 22nd anniversary, geno's in smash!!?!!1" It's more than NoA is represented as acknowledging them, and that acknowledgement ended up being one of their most beloved and retweeted tweets of all time. It got an insane amount of attention, and it does make me wonder if that is in any way notable to Nintendo beyond just its American branch.

Of course, though, it's still quite a stretch, and I wouldn't doubt that NoJ doesn't give a hoot about it. It is a source of intrigue, at any rate.

ETA: no luminary's hair is gross you are all heathens :(
I think it would be crazy for a company to go “wow that tweet from our sister was an incredibly popular tweet! Lets completely ignore that!” As a company that very much wants to interact with its fans and consumer fan base, that would be counter intuitive. I don’t think NoJ went “wow that tweet got a lot of traction...Geno confirmed” but I don’t think they would flat out ignore it. They’re on the same team.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
A similar situation happened to Friday the 13th game, where the property was being sued, and because of that, it halted all production on everything related to that. Now I don’t think it’s same thing by FAR but an indication how one property holder can affect everything else.
To put light on this, it's mainly because the rights to Friday the 13th are so ****ed up nobody really knows who owns it. Rather than try to work through it, the devs just straight don't want to deal with it. At least for now.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Due to some of the latest Square Shenanigans I want to ask; If DQ could only get in if Nintendo pulled out of supporting tournaments, what option would you choose?
In case you weren't sure if he's a virtue signalling concern troll here ya go

I'm not so sure. If people were okay with DQ getting in at the cost of that composer; I feel there's a lot of thing's they'd sacrifice for DQ representation, but that's just my general impression.
That's right, if the composer's ideology doesn't sway you from wanting DQ in to give money to the hundreds of other creators, you're a terrible person willing to let a LOT happen. lmao

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The Squenix 7 but they're Bohemian Rhapsody lines

Spare him his life from this monstrosity!
(Let me go) Will not let you go

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?
So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me

Nothing really matters, anyone can see
Nothing really matters to me

I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all

Thanks this is my magnum opus @ me with questions

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Crono?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

I nominate you for post of the year!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

That's right, if the composer's ideology doesn't sway you from wanting DQ in to give money to the hundreds of other creators, you're a terrible person willing to let a LOT happen. lmao
I'm allowed to say different things in different threads. I'm a lot more civil here BECAUSE it is a joint thread.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

no one's falling for it anymore lol

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tbh the composer won't be a problem for Nintendo or Square unless he's a pain to negotiate with, most people separate the art from the artist (especially if the main art wasn't created by said artist) and simply don't care, otherwise A Hat in Time would've failed because JonTron voiced a minor character or two.

Not to mention most people wouldn't even be aware + most probably still won't care because of the reason I mentioned.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Tbh the composer won't be a problem for Nintendo or Square unless he's a pain to negotiate with, most people separate the art from the artist (especially if the main art wasn't created by said artist) and simply don't care, otherwise A Hat in Time would've failed because JonTron voiced a minor character or two.

Not to mention most people wouldn't even be aware + most probably still won't care because of the reason I mentioned.
It's a shame that this isn't looking like much a problem. Separating art from the artists only works for me when the artist is deceased to be honest. (COUGH MICHEAL JACKSON)

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
It's a shame that this isn't looking like much a problem. Separating art from the artists only works for me when the artist is deceased to be honest. (COUGH MICHEAL JACKSON)
It's not an issue because they value not collectivizing everyone who has ever worked on DQ into the same crapshoot as the composer. Why should Yuji Horii be punished for something that isn't even his fault?

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's not an issue because they value not collectivizing everyone who has ever worked on DQ into the same crapshoot as the composer. Why should Yuji Horii be punished for something that isn't even his fault?
Can I inverse this question? Why should the composer be payed more than the millions of people who actually programmed Dragon Quest? Why should he make money when so many others put in equally hard work?

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Can I inverse this question? Why should the composer be payed more than the millions of people who actually programmed Dragon Quest? Why should he make money when so many others put in equally hard work?
Because that's how compensation works? This isn't exclusive to DQ. Lots of composers make far more money than the average coder on a project. Do you think Yoko Shimomura isn't paid more than a KH programmer? lol

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm done giving you the benefit of the doubt, you're just trying to raise hell for no reason at this point. You act like every single person who will ever buy a DQ character will do so while smugly grinning and saying 'ah yes, glad I can support my favorite war crime denier' under their breath.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm tellin ya'll; Space Invader's would be the best out of left field pick. Retro rep? How more retro can you get?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just ignore the squidward guy, even if he is not trolling he isn't adding anything valuable to the thread.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'm done giving you the benefit of the doubt, you're just trying to raise hell for no reason at this point. You act like every single person who will ever buy a DQ character will do so while smugly grinning and saying 'ah yes, glad I can support my favorite war crime denier' under their breath.
Tbh he's only like fourth on my list of favorite war crime deniers.

Top Bottom