• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only games Toei has any stake in with Toriyama's characters, at least in terms of the Square list, would be Chrono Trigger, according to the Wikipedia page for Toei Animation. If that's the case, I think that would really be the only problem and kind of a death knell for Crono, but I may be wrong.

I think there's obvious misinformation going around. I admit that I was spooked at the idea of Toriyama's involvement at first, very kneejerk, but it may actually be a non-problem. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Could you clarify for us a bit? Or maybe Polar?

D

Deleted member

Fatman wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't important. I don't know the exact legal in's and out's, but I'm taking his word that this is important. He say's the DQ support within the leaker community has been shaken up quite a bit with this development.
TOEI attitude regarding FighterZ tournaments It's significant only on the context of Dragon Ball as DQ is property of another different company.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Fatman wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't important. I don't know the exact legal in's and out's, but I'm taking his word that this is important. He say's the DQ support within the leaker community has been shaken up quite a bit with this development.
Toei has no power over Dragon Quest at all, and I doubt Bird Studio has any either. And even if they did, Bird Studio isn't the one known for taking down stuff out of copyright, that's Toei.

D

Deleted member

The only games Toei has any stake in with Toriyama's characters, at least in terms of the Square list, would be Chrono Trigger, according to the Wikipedia page for Toei Animation. If that's the case, I think that would really be the only problem and kind of a death knell for Crono, but I may be wrong.

I think there's obvious misinformation going around. I admit that I was spooked at the idea of Toriyama's involvement at first, very kneejerk, but it may actually be a non-problem. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Could you clarify for us a bit? Or maybe Polar?
Toei's involvement in Chrono Trigger is only regarding the animated cutscenes post-SNES version. Aside from that Toei doesn't have any involvement with CT.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A summary for those who don't want to dig through several threads...

The situation from what I can gather through reports seems simple:

TOEI Animation, who licenses Dragon Ball Z, is making fighting game tournaments drop their FighterZ events. This even extended to EVO Japan.

This is sad as FighterZ is BIG right now, and it's concerning for esports as well.

HOWEVER, as Bird Studio is not TOEI and it's Toriyama and Bird Studio who own the rights to Dragon Quest, this should not affect Smash at all.

Blatant fearmongering about volatile situations hurts us all. Please do not do that.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
A summary for those who don't want to dig through several threads...

The situation from what I can gather through reports seems simple:

TOEI Animation, who licenses Dragon Ball Z, is making fighting game tournaments drop their FighterZ events. This even extended to EVO Japan.

This is sad as FighterZ is BIG right now, and it's concerning for esports as well.

HOWEVER, as Bird Studio is not TOEI and it's Toriyama and Bird Studio who own the rights to Dragon Quest, this should not affect Smash at all.

Blatant fearmongering about volatile situations hurts us all. Please do not do that.
Fatmanonice would not lie about this. He has his foot in the door and he know's what he's talking about.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
He's certainly more reliable than Hitagi. If you guy's are allowed to believe Hitagi, I'm allowed to trust Fatman lol.
Hitagi knew about SNK Heroines stuff and the Granblue fighter to prove that he has insider info. What does Fatman have on his belt so I can take him seriously as well?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
**** like this is why everyone dislikes you. Go concern troll somewhere else
I'm not sure if this is concern trolling based off of my knowledge of the term. Wouldn't that be if I was more like "I'm sorry guy's, but Fatman know's what he's talking about!"?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Fatmanonice would not lie about this. He has his foot in the door and he know's what he's talking about.
He's just another guy who has his own set of biases that have been shown off in this very thread. Everyone has info through some source, everyone has opinions, and everyone has their own thoughts that color how they interpret the facts. It's just human nature. Not everyone has all the info and by laying all the info out on the table in the clearest way possible we can get to some semblance of the truth.

From the information currently available, this does not seem to affect Smash nor is it any danger to Smash unless they legitimately put Goku in the game.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
He's just another guy who has his own set of biases that have been shown off in this very thread. Everyone has info through some source, everyone has opinions, and everyone has their own thoughts that color how they interpret the facts. It's just human nature. Not everyone has all the info and by laying all the info out on the table in the clearest way possible we can get to some semblance of the truth.

From the information currently available, this does not seem to affect Smash nor is it any danger to Smash unless they legitimately put Goku in the game.
Actually, I am preeeetty sure the source of his info is Polar, but please correct me if I'm wrong about that? He's relayed a lot of information from Polar in the past. It makes him feel like more of a messenger and less like 'just another guy'. That being said, he's not perfect, and we all make mistakes. I think this was one of those mistakes, and I can't argue about whether his perception of things colored his vision or not.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
About Hitagi, I don't think he's very credible, especially considering how much he's flip flopped on Katalina.

Untouch

Smash Master
Alright lying isn't going to determine who is or isn't in Smash, the characters have already been decided and I don't think Sakurai pays attention to this thread.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Whoa, just imagine. If Sakurai still believed playing Smash competitively wasn't right like back in the Brawl days (and arguably Smash 4 days), then adding Goku to the game would almost single handedly cripple the competitive scene for this reason.

Somewhat off-topic but I thought it was funny.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Actually, I am preeeetty sure the source of his info is Polar, but please correct me if I'm wrong about that? He's relayed a lot of information from Polar in the past. It makes him feel like more of a messenger and less like 'just another guy'. That being said, he's not perfect, and we all make mistakes. I think this was one of those mistakes, and I can't argue about whether his perception of things colored his vision or not.
Sorry, I'm not saying he doesn't have a good source and I'm not saying I don't like him and generally speaking I trust his info, but at the same time everyone has lenses that color all info they get. Leaking is, in many ways, informal journalism, and as someone who has worked in the journalism industry you get your info through your sources, you parse your info, and you disseminate your info. But at the end of the day, it's up to you to choose what to highlight in that info, and that's where bias comes in.

Everyone has the ability to get info from a source and to spread said info. Some people just have stronger connections than others. This isn't meant to turn on anyone or be one of those dumb anti-leaker posts. Sorry if it came off that way.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sorry, I'm not saying he doesn't have a good source and I'm not saying I don't like him and generally speaking I trust his info, but at the same time everyone has lenses that color all info they get. Leaking is, in many ways, informal journalism, and as someone who has worked in the journalism industry you get your info through your sources, you parse your info, and you disseminate your info. But at the end of the day, it's up to you to choose what to highlight in that info, and that's where bias comes in.

Everyone has the ability to get info from a source and to spread said info. Some people just have stronger connections than others. This isn't meant to turn on anyone or be one of those dumb anti-leaker posts. Sorry if it came off that way.
Oh yes, on that, I totally agree, and that was essentially the point I was trying to make. Thanks for clarifying, and no need to apologize, dude!

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
lemme just back up Fatman right quick.

He never said anything definitively about the DBZ Fighters situation, only that something was going on with the game in regards to Bandai Namco, and BY EXTENSION, Bird Studio, because that’s Toriyama’s company.

No one knows, but people are suspecting it’s Toei. He brought up the point, at least, I’m assuming, to speculate if that may have some effect on DQ, or rights goings on with Bird Studio and potentially Smash.

Also, on the whole NOA NOJ situation.

I can agree that the tweet may not mean much, but I think it’s strange to think that NOJ wouldn’t know about or find importance from a tweet from a sister account from the same company. To ignore that is probably bad business.

D

Deleted member

This toei stuff doesn’t affect much on DQ’s chances like, at all. Toriyama does not equal Toei, who’s likely the compamy blocking DBFZ rather than Bird Studio.

Also luminary’s hair looks sick what the **** slander is this

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I will bring up something else Fatman noted though.

DQ in Smash has been discussed so long it seems like it may have been something considered for base roster.
It's in an entirely different spot compared to all other DLC's. Nobody has an idea who our remaining 4 are beyond Squenix rep which may be DQ.

But since DQ may have been /pushed/ to DLC, maybe SE would get two DLC reps.

I don't buy it, but it's interesting, albeit a little complicated.

Untouch

Smash Master
By the way, Toriyama did some visual work on DBZF (outside of the obvious stuff), he designed Android 21 and I don't think he wanted this to happen.
Toei is notorious like this, they're really bad with their copyright.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
This toei stuff doesn’t affect much on DQ’s chances like, at all. Toriyama does not equal Toei, who’s likely the compamy blocking DBFZ rather than Bird Studio.

Also luminary’s hair looks sick what the **** slander is this
Peeps are just jelly their hair doesn't look that good. :p

D

Deleted member

lemme just back up Fatman right quick.

He never said anything definitively about the DBZ Fighters situation, only that something was going on with the game in regards to Bandai Namco, and BY EXTENSION, Bird Studio, because that’s Toriyama’s company.

No one knows, but people are suspecting it’s Toei. He brought up the point, at least, I’m assuming, to speculate if that may have some effect on DQ, or rights goings on with Bird Studio and potentially Smash.

I can agree that the tweet may not mean much, but I think it’s strange to think that NOJ wouldn’t know about or find importance from a tweet from a sister account from the same company. To ignore that is probably bad business.
So basically it boils down to "Did Toriyama have anything to do with the decision or not?"
And theres not really any reason to believe that he personally did at least that I know of
but I do get where you're coming from here

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I will bring up something else Fatman noted though.

DQ in Smash has been discussed so long it seems like it may have been something considered for base roster.
It's in an entirely different spot compared to all other DLC's. Nobody has an idea who our remaining 4 are beyond Squenix rep which may be DQ.

But since DQ may have been /pushed/ to DLC, maybe SE would get two DLC reps.

I don't buy it, but it's interesting, albeit a little complicated.
I bet Square simply told them to move DQ to DLC for the sake of getting more revenue. If we do get something from there of course.

Untouch

Smash Master
Also, by the way, Nintendo blocked Smash Ultimate at EVO Japan too, if this is related to Toriyama this would point way more to DQ getting in than anything.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

To an extent, I agree, honestly. I don't think the importance is inherently that, "omg they tweeted about SMRPG's 22nd anniversary, geno's in smash!!?!!1" It's more than NoA is represented as acknowledging them, and that acknowledgement ended up being one of their most beloved and retweeted tweets of all time. It got an insane amount of attention, and it does make me wonder if that is in any way notable to Nintendo beyond just its American branch.

Of course, though, it's still quite a stretch, and I wouldn't doubt that NoJ doesn't give a hoot about it. It is a source of intrigue, at any rate.

ETA: no luminary's hair is gross you are all heathens :(

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The Dragonball stuff is almost entirely Toei. From what I hear there's a lot of Dragon Ball stuff that should have happened at Jump Festa that simply didn't happen period. There was supposed to be a Fighterz trailer and that straight up never happened. Whatever the issue here is, it isn't related to Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

Also, by the way, Nintendo blocked Smash Ultimate at EVO Japan too, if this is related to Toriyama this would point way more to DQ getting in than anything.
While this would be hilarious if its an indication that Erdrick is getting in, I wonder if there was something else happening at EVO Japan that made Nintendo block the game. Last year's I remember that Nintendo allowed ARMS, so I wonder if there was a change of policies during the event that made Nintendo and Bamco to block Ultimate and DBFZ respectively.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
While this would be hilarious if its an indication that Erdrick is getting in, I wonder if there was something else happening at EVO Japan that made Nintendo block the game. Last year's I remember that Nintendo allowed ARMS, so I wonder if there was a change of policies during the event that made Nintendo and Bamco to block Ultimate and DBFZ respectively.
It might have to do with the event as a whole. While it was a success in terms of entrants, the event itself lost a lot of ****ing money due to not getting the sponsorships it needed to break even.

Untouch

Smash Master
It might have to do with the event as a whole. While it was a success in terms of entrants, the event itself lost a lot of ****ing money due to not getting the sponsorships it needed to break even.
Nintendo and Toei probably expected a cut that EVO Japan simply couldn't provide.
Nintendo hasn't been shutting down other competitive events while Toei has.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don't know how you can root for a character when a parent company (whether it be Armor Project,, Bird Studio, Disney etc) when they could annihilate an entire competitive community.

Is it really worth it considering how much hard work had been accomplished by thousands of players.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't know how you can root for a character when a parent company (whether it be Armor Project,, Bird Studio, Disney etc) when they could annihilate an entire competitive community.

Is it really worth it considering how much hard work had been accomplished by thousands of players.
Bruh.....

It's TOEI...

Top Bottom