• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry to butt in with a topic that everyone probably moved on from.

But I wanted to show my moveset example for a DQ character. (Made this thinking that every color swap could be a different Hero, and as a tribute to as many skills from the series as possible)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But I wanted to show my moveset example for a DQ character. (Made this thinking that every color swap could be a different Hero, and as a tribute to as many skills from the series as possible)

I really like the look of this. Maybe have the magic selection more like Shulk's Monado arts though, for the sake of quickness. Aside that though this is pretty much perfect lol

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hm, my first time showing up here. I guess I'll post my Erdrick support here when I can.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As for the "anime swordsman" argument, I only agree with it if the anime swordsman in question brings nothing else unique. For example, Isaac would be cool because of that hand magic and earthquakes and vines and stuff. Lloyd has TWO swords. Sora has drive forms and disney teammates and several unique spells like gravity, and he can kinda float/fly. Chrono can time travel. Another Xenoblade rep would (presumably) have something similar to Shulk which is one of the coolest gimmicks ever. While I don't want another Fire Emblem character, someone like Lyn would be pretty unique with that style of swordplay. Hell, even Sephiroth would be cool with his stupidly long anime villain sword having as much range as Corrin with all his sword attacks.

The only unique spells I've seen from Erdrick are that turning to metal thing, which wouldn't really work well as a move, and possibly taming monsters like slime? But, the taming thing comes from a different character from DQ, not Erdrick. As far as what type of swordplay he uses, it doesn't seem like he's going to be super unique in that regard either. Obviously if he gets in, he won't be a semi-clone of Robin, but he'd surely feel pretty similar to Robin, and would end up just feeling pretty boring. Contrast that with literally every other choice on this list (sans Luminary) who would have a really cool and different unique moveset unlike anything we've seen in Smash so far.

I have nothing against Dragon Quest itself, and a character like Slime or maybe one of the other protags who can use monster taming might be pretty cool. It's just that, for me to like a Smash newcomer that I have no attachment to, their moveset has to be cool enough that I want to try it out. Erdrick doesn't seem like he could be that.
How would Crono use time travel in gameplay lol.

Sure, he COULD do that, but I don't think he will. Sakurai is the kind of guy to get an idea for a moveset from concept art, and as far as I can tell, in DQ3 you can equip different weapons, but they don't really have any different animations or art anything right? (I've never played DQ so I might just be stupid.) To me, this seems like trying to use every possible thing available just to make a character unique, instead of a character being inherently unique. Like, we could make Raichu more unique from Pikachu by giving him Iron Tail and Earthquake and all the other random TM moves he can learn, but if we have to do that, he probably isn't as unique as we'd want him to be. Incineroar didn't need to use anything but fire and wrestling moves to be unique, which is inherent to his character.
Sakurai is absolutely not the kind of guy to get the moveset just from concept art. To our knowledge, he only did that with Greninja. He actually plays the games to get a feel of what a character can do and how they shouldn’t play.

Which is something I recommend people do before dismissing a character for allegedly lacking moveset potential...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Whilst it is difficult to predict who I would predict as the likely Square-Enix character.

Personally I would support for the likes of Tidus, Erdrick, Sora or Neky Sakuraba.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
How would Crono use time travel in gameplay lol.

Sakurai is absolutely not the kind of guy to get the moveset just from concept art. To our knowledge, he only did that with Greninja. He actually plays the games to get a feel of what a character can do and how they shouldn’t play.

Which is something I recommend people do before dismissing a character for allegedly lacking moveset potential...
You act like Sakurai couldn't figure out how to incorporate time travel into Smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, my big thing with DLC is that I have no doubts that Sakurai could figure out great movesets with whoever we get. That's where all of my confidence in DLC characters come from and why I will buy the Fighters Pass when Joker is officially released. I don't blindly buy season passes really, but Sakurai is just about the only developer I've come to trust enough to do so. The Fighters Pass is one of the few times I'll say buying in blindly is acceptable, because Sakurai is just that damn good at developing characters.

So to say that Erdrick has to be the most boring pick or is inherently uninteresting I think just does not give enough credit to Sakurai. Plus I can totally see him giving moves from the series in general seeing the moveset he gave Pac-Man. Including a monster mechanic would be a great way to make him unique and stand-out for example.

Just kind of feels like Sakurai has thrown out the whole "no moveset potential" argument everytime he comes out with a new Smash game...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Crono doesn't "use" time travel.
He either finds a specific spot in his world, where there's a weak time fabric, and uses his friend Lucca's time key to open up a portal, that takes him to a specific time period not chosen by him.

Or
He hops in his time machine to travel forward or back in time. And that's about it.

He doesn't manipulate time in a way that could be incorporated into his moveset.

If we go to that extent, to justify a particular Unique element from CT, then a whole World of new possibilities can be opened for Erdrick as well. (And literally any character)

Last edited:

GrimPain

Smash Rookie
Erdrick has more potential for move sets than some of the other names I've seen being tossed about, some characters being one trick ponies literally, with no flavor whatsoever. I'll be happy with whatever though. I'm extra excited about the DLC characters after seeing Joker make it in, as this makes me feel like the picks will be very interesting, and I wont lie, I enjoyed the surprise of a character that wasn't being guessed by everyone and their grandma.

It's gonna probably be awhile before we get the next character announcement, if I were a betting man I imagine not till Feb/March at the earliest.

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
The only unique spells I've seen from Erdrick are that turning to metal thing, which wouldn't really work well as a move, and possibly taming monsters like slime? But, the taming thing comes from a different character from DQ, not Erdrick. As far as what type of swordplay he uses, it doesn't seem like he's going to be super unique in that regard either. Obviously if he gets in, he won't be a semi-clone of Robin, but he'd surely feel pretty similar to Robin, and would end up just feeling pretty boring. Contrast that with literally every other choice on this list (sans Luminary) who would have a really cool and different unique moveset unlike anything we've seen in Smash so far.

I have nothing against Dragon Quest itself, and a character like Slime or maybe one of the other protags who can use monster taming might be pretty cool. It's just that, for me to like a Smash newcomer that I have no attachment to, their moveset has to be cool enough that I want to try it out. Erdrick doesn't seem like he could be that.
I know I'm kinda late but I wanted to address this lol, like liquidmetalslime said he has many different weapons he could use (Hammers, staves, whips, axes, claws, spears, wands) and while he can't technically equip all of those smash breaks the rules with stuff like that all the time lol, also his magic would be a lot different from how Robin's works. Also, the tension mechanic would probably be in his moveset in some way, and no other character has something like that. I could see some monsters appearing to help in his moveset, even if you can't recruit monsters in DQ III, like I said earlier smash breaks rules with stuff like that all the time. Like maybe Slime could lunge forwards in his FSmash or something for example? I think we shouldn't write off any characters as not being unique/having anything to offer, especially after we got a piranha plant as a character. If they can make a Piranha Plant one of the most unique fighters in the game, you can't tell me anyone would be uninteresting lol

Edit: I forgot to mention this but shinhed-echi shinhed-echi that's a great moveset! If we got anything like that as Erdrick's actual moveset, that'd make me really happy

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
If we were going to have a time travel focused character it'd be the Prince of Persia.

D

Deleted member

If Crono gets in, I think the time-travel mechanic is something that would be incorporated to the stage he's in (the Epoch traveling through time and having some events of the game affecting the stage would be interesting). His archetype is a magic swordman that focuses on lightning spells and swordtechs.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Very nice concept! I’d be doubly hyped for Erdrick if he had something similar to this.

Though I’m wondering what exactly is the function of Whistle? In the Dragon Quest series, Whistle is the ability to immediately start a battle with some monsters, and is a very useful technique for grinding. What does it do here, summon a monster that lays a beat down on your opponents?

Xigger

Smash Lord
Gotta be that "Umm, actually..." guy, he may have been like that before, but right now Sakurai can't even use a computer mouse anymore. Him playing tons of games is out of the question.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have some new opinions on certain Square Enix candidates.

Right now, I am currently debating on finalizing my prediction between Sora and Erdrick.

Honestly, reading through this thread made me change my opinions on Erdrick.

My want for Geno has decreased over time. If Sakurai is not going to take the opportunity to add one-shot fan favorites like Skull Kid in the base game, I prefer that Geno does not get in by the same token. I would personally just feel immensely bad for the SK fans at this point. I now prefer that such opportunities be taken in Super Smash Flash 2, where neglected Nintendo franchises and fan-favorite characters have a legitimate solid chance of being playable that the official Smash games would not accomplish under the director of Sakurai.

As nearly certain as I am about Sora due to third-party franchise worldwide popularity, I would actually dislike the scenario that he gets in over Erdrick a bit. I have warmed up to Erdrick to the point where I bought a copy of DQVIII today to finally get into the series again. I grown to like the mindset of Sakurai possibly representing the best of Japanese gaming history through adding gaming icons like Leon Kennedy, Frogger, Heihachi, etc in Ultimate's roster. And even if DQ's giant popularity only stems from Japan, the legacy it holds in improving the RPG genre alone to me makes Erdrick very worthy to be in the Smash Ultimate's roster.

Right now, my mind is just somewhat conflicted between wanting Sora and Erdrick. How times have changed for my wants in Smash now. :roll:

D

Deleted member

Gotta be that "Umm, actually..." guy, he may have been like that before, but right now Sakurai can't even use a computer mouse anymore. Him playing tons of games is out of the question.
Time to one-up your "Umm, actually...". In the case of Erdrick, he's stated before that his favorite Dragon Quest game is DQ3, and in general it's know that he's a DQ fan. It's not like he doesn't have knowledge already of the DQ game's he's already played lol

Xigger

Smash Lord
Time to one-up your "Umm, actually...". In the case of Erdrick, he's stated before that his favorite Dragon Quest game is DQ3, and in general it's know that he's a DQ fan. It's not like he doesn't have knowledge already of the DQ game's he's already played lol
Fair enough, the man has played games before lol. That might be a reason why he focuses on older game content rather than newer.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

Right now, I am currently debating on finalizing my prediction between Sora and Erdrick.

My want for Geno has decreased over time. If Sakurai is not going to take the opportunity to add one-shot fan favorites like Skull Kid in the base game, I prefer that Geno does not get in by the same token. I would personally just feel immensely bad for the SK fans at this point. I now prefer that such opportunities be taken in Super Smash Flash 2, where neglected Nintendo franchises and fan-favorite characters have a legitimate solid chance of being playable that the official Smash games would not accomplish under the director of Sakurai.

As nearly certain as I am about Sora due to third-party franchise worldwide popularity, I would actually dislike the scenario that he gets in over Erdrick a bit. I have warmed up to Erdrick to the point where I bought a copy of DQVIII today to finally get into the series again. I grown to like the mindset of Sakurai possibly representing the best of Japanese gaming history through adding gaming icons like Leon Kennedy, Frogger, Heihachi, etc in Ultimate's roster. And even if DQ's giant popularity only stems from Japan, the legacy it holds in improving the RPG genre alone to me makes Erdrick very worthy to be in the Smash Ultimate's roster.

Right now, my mind is just somewhat conflicted between wanting Sora and Erdrick. How times have changed for my wants in Smash now. :roll:
It really is a tough decision, I too also think the possible canidates at this point are between Sora and Erdrick. I love them both because I'm a fan of both series and ugh...it's so hard to choose. Both would be great additions to the roster, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest has earned their place to be in Smash, if only we could get both which would've been the best case scenario. Sadly, I know that's not going to happen!

Also, glad that you DQVIII, if you're trying to get into the series, it's best game to start off with! So, great taste!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wasn’t that during 4’s development? Is he still that unwell?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It really is a tough decision, I too also think the possible canidates at this point are between Sora and Erdrick. I love them both because I'm a fan of both series and ugh...it's so hard to choose. Both would be great additions to the roster, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest has earned their place to be in Smash, if only we could get both which would've been the best case scenario. Sadly, I know that's not going to happen!

Also, glad that you DQVIII, if you're trying to get into the series, it's best game to start off with! So, great taste!
I tried getting into DQIX years ago, and I kinda stopped miday through. I don't remember the reason for quitting, but I probably was occupied with other Nintendo games at the time like warioware diy and flipnote hatena. I hope DQVIII is as good as people say it is.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Does anyone have any experience with the mobile versions of the DQ games? I'm usually a handheld or console gamer but the convenience of being able to try DQ3 or even 8 on mobile is tempting.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have any experience with the mobile versions of the DQ games? I'm usually a handheld or console gamer but the convenience of being able to try DQ3 or even 8 on mobile is tempting.
They're actually quite good ports, 1-6 at least I know are. I havent played DQ8's mobile port but I would still recommend the 3DS version as the best.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
At this point in time the anime swordman is one of the most silly arguments considering a few things:
1. Anime is Japanese, Smash is Japanese. It shouldn't be surprising to see anime represented in a Japanese game
2. Swords are the most common weapon in RPGs, and most protagonists have one. Just from the list on the poll, 5 characters use one or a similar thing
3. Swordsmen dont make even a quarter of the roster even including non-anime swordmen like Meta Knight
4. The main issue with swordsmen should be that we have 3 derived Marth characters and 2 derived from Link
5. There are different types of swords and styles that would be great to see on the game
6. People overestimate some of the loud minority that complains about every thing in the game.
7. A lot of people like myself, like anime swordman since we like those characters
I feel that sometimes people asking for other weapons like spears or axes are doing so just to cross checklists rather than outright liking the characters.
I think the checklist idea is dumb. If I could have it my way, I wouldn't have any additional blade or swinging weapons in the game (spears, axes, keys etc) however, I think the idea that they all play alike is far from the truth. Sure the typical Fire Emblem style of Dancing Blade/Counter kit for each can be pretty eye roll inducing, but looking at characters like Shulk and Cloud at least bring in a different style. If Erdrick is out guy, I do hope for him to fall into that category of a unique sword fighter.

It all comes down to presentation. If the character is at least unique, then it is worth it. If they fall into the Fire Emblem category of boring, then hard pass.

Klimax

Smash Ace
The good thing with Erdrick is that, at least, he doesn't look lame and generic since he's designed by Akira Toriyama who has a unique style.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The good thing with Erdrick is that, at least, he doesn't look lame and generic since he's designed by Akira Toriyama who has a unique style.
Nothing against Toriyama, but within the vacuum of his own style, his looks tend to be a bit samey. For instance, When I look at the Luminary from the latest DQ game, all I see is:
Don't get me wrong, the guy is crazy good, and I love me some DBZ, but I'm pretty sure he's allergic to giving people different faces.
(that's not to say he hasn't varied from the norm in the past and won't continue to do so. He just doesn't usually lean in that direction)

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Okay, so I've researched a bit of Erdrick and watched a bit of a DQ3 walkthrough (should finish it all), and yeah.

He does have a good chance if SE really did agree with Sakurai to add anybody, and for the most popular RPG franchise, from what I've seen in Japan, this would be an honor. As for his design, I mean, he has been battle-ready for a while, but perhaps his (her, I forgot) Super Famicon design would be used over the Famicon one, assuming DQ11 would not inspire it.

Maybe he can have all of his treasured equipment like this? Uh, yeah, something like this.

Okay...this.

And, in my research, I have learned how popular Erdrick as a character is. From being referenced across multiple DQ games to even being referenced in FF (death, though), he's not a character that has been forgotten at all. Seriously, jeez, he's almost everywhere.

He's like Cloud to me. Both were not the original protagonist for their franchise, but pretty much the most popular and recognizable ones (well, Eight is a bit up there). Not a character I can say I heavily supported at all when I first started speculating characters, but now I really want this to happen, and his notability in his own franchise can boost him for DQ rep. I don't think it's possible to even say he's just another swordfighter.

Also, I like swords, so give me.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
If they did do unique characters as alts, I wonder if they'd all use the same Sword and shield, since in many games you get Erdricks sword so them all using it makes sense and I would argue that his sword and shield are actually more iconic than him himself.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Since when did this become an Erdick support thread.. lol
So... when do we think that the supposed January direct is happening, and if so, what do you think it's gonna show (outside of PP and Joker)
I suspect a Fire emblem Three House trailers/info considering it's supposed to come out in spring and hopefully, more on the online service. Not so sure if we would get another one from the fighters pass reveal no matter who it is. That feels like something happening in February/March

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Try to get into III and XI. XI will be coming soon and it is chilling how they create such a vibrant world that is basically what the original 3 games were, but in HD. Heck, even the soundtrack masterfully gives you that impression. And I feel the same way you do, but with Sephiroth and Erdrick.
Sephiroth has been my number 1 wanted after Cloud was revealed in Smash 4, but having Erdrick in his place is not a bad deal for me, tbh.

I tried getting into DQIX years ago, and I kinda stopped miday through. I don't remember the reason for quitting, but I probably was occupied with other Nintendo games at the time like warioware diy and flipnote hatena. I hope DQVIII is as good as people say it is.
IX isn't really a traditional and hype title in the series. Some weren't that much of a fan. So it might give you an idea. XP

If they did do unique characters as alts, I wonder if they'd all use the same Sword and shield, since in many games you get Erdricks sword so them all using it makes sense and I would argue that his sword and shield are actually more iconic than him himself.
I think that might be the case. You're correct, except his helmet is almost as much iconic as his sword and shield. Btw, do you guys think he'll show up with the blue horned helmet or the design that is showing up frequently here?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I saw this brought up in the Geno thread, how Nintendo has been "celebrating" SMRPG by tweeting that "Team Mallow or Team Geno?" tweet, along with the SMRPG/Geno-is-the-correct-answer question in the Nintendo-sponsored quiz-thing in the HQ app during the VGAs, and how this is all really weird considering that companies don't just tweet/push things out-of-the-blue without huge oversight. They don't even mention Square Enix despite them owning the SMRPG-original characters and most of the game if not all of it (aside from Mario).

I'm hoping they're at least planning an SMRPG 2. Maybe they bought the rights...?

It's also speculated that DQ was perhaps planned for base, but constant delays, and work on KH3, put the DQ stuff on hold (taking into account how all the insiders/leakers are only aware of DQ stuff perhaps being DLC, with the occasional random-guy claiming he heard of Lloyd or Yuri); maybe Geno still has a chance for another spot...?

As an SK fan, seeing as he's already disconfirmed, I'd rather Geno than neither.

Skull Kiddo also isn't really a one-shot; he's the same Skull Kid you play Saria's Song to in Ocarina of Time, plus he's in Hyrule Warriors (if we're gonna count Mario spinoffs for Daisy and such, then I'm gonna count Zelda spinoffs).

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If someone wonders how Crono's time travel could be implemented, think of Ekko from League of legends, or Tracer from Overwatch, who can warp back to a previous point they were a few seconds ago (a very small period of time if you will). It could work as a recovery, and if you think it's broken, think of Ekko again, who leaves a trace of where he will end being warped to, so you can probably camp it or predict it if you're fast enough to read the moment Crono will do it. It can be a balanced feature in the end (there are more broken characters in the game already than that anyway, so I wouldn't bring the "OP" argument to this as things are already lol)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
While Loyd might join, every third party MII Costume is Mia. so I don't think it means anything
Read the very first line of what I said in that paragraph lol. Heihachi is already a Pac man taunt, so not every third party Mii Costume is MIA, they were just changed into another form in the game (we are hoping Geno doesn't remain a spirit and icon tho, but Heihachi we already know was too hard to work with as playable, as Sakurai said, so he will probably remain a pac-man taunt , and he might be back as a free mii costume in the future while DLC are happening)

Edit: Accidental double post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I saw this brought up in the Geno thread, how Nintendo has been "celebrating" SMRPG by tweeting that "Team Mallow or Team Geno?" tweet, along with the SMRPG/Geno-is-the-correct-answer question in the Nintendo-sponsored quiz-thing in the HQ app during the VGAs, and how this is all really weird considering that companies don't just tweet/push things out-of-the-blue without huge oversight. They don't even mention Square Enix despite them owning the SMRPG-original characters and most of the game if not all of it (aside from Mario).

I'm hoping they're at least planning an SMRPG 2. Maybe they bought the rights...?

It's also speculated that DQ was perhaps planned for base, but constant delays, and work on KH3, put the DQ stuff on hold (taking into account how all the insiders/leakers are only aware of DQ stuff perhaps being DLC, with the occasional random-guy claiming he heard of Lloyd or Yuri); maybe Geno still has a chance for another spot...?
When was that around? It may have just been general promotion for the SNES classic, but I would also love for it to mean something greater too lol
DQ being part of the base roster could make sense if you take the photo of Sakurai with Yuji Horii around 2016 as anything to consider but who knows

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
When was that around? It may have just been general promotion for the SNES classic, but I would also love for it to mean something greater too lol
DQ being part of the base roster could make sense if you take the photo of Sakurai with Yuji Horii around 2016 as anything to consider but who knows
The tweet was on May 13th this year; they mention it being launched on the Super NES that day in 1996, but don't mention the SNES Classic, plus they ask if people are on Team Mallow or Team Geno, specifically.

There's also the HQ app's question during the time of the VGAs which seems out-of-the-blue as well; it is a little strange how they seem to be sort-of pushing SMRPG specifically; though I guess it could simply be because it's a Mario title, they've just now started this year (other than the Geno mii costume).

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You see, that is the weird thing. The SNES Classic was not even mentioned, despite them having ample opportunity. It was just a tweet celebrating the games 22nd anniversary(A weird date anniversary to celebrate, as they have never done this before, not even on the 20th) and asking if you were team Mallow or team Geno.
Got :ultgreninja:'d before I could post.

Top Bottom