• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
This is where I legitimately get mad.
As someone whose been lurking in this thread and the Geno one, and honestly never heard of Erdrick before looking at these two threads, I couldn't help feeling peeved at this myself

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've been waiting years to try it out and even ignored the ps4 version so I'm glad it's on the way it shouldn't take long to get the game out to the west either the English text is already available to us
I know it's a different scenario, but DQHeroes1+2 was never released on western shores, despite having English voice acting and texto available. Wonder what's up with that. I hope DQXIs doesn't get stuck in the same limbo.

Oh well. At least it's coming 2019. I was afraid ir would come 2020.

From the looks of it, the panel was a bit underwhelming. I mean Builders 2 is ok. But the mobile games that are Japan exclusive grind my gears.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
As someone whose been lurking in this thread and the Geno one, and honestly never heard of Erdrick before looking at these two threads, I couldn't help feeling peeved at this myself
And to repeat myself he's done this alot go back check out all of his comments he goes on about how we talk crap about geno blah blah he goes on about how he hates dragon quest because of the composer he goes on about how he's gonna call Square Enix because of geno at this point if anyone believes he's not trolling is beyond me

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Man; I thought that guy with the envelope was going to pull out a Smash invitation.

Sorry you didn't get in guy's! It's a cutthroat race, smash speculation.
No one said there'd be a reveal at this event though. Erdrick not getting revealed here changes nothing. Don't celebrate too quickly, otherwise you may get burned even harder.

Look, I get that you want Geno, but your behavior is getting tiresome and repetitive. I honestly thought you had the potential for change a while back, but it seems like you're so deep set in your ways that there's no point in talking with you. There's no point to it because you're going to continually bash Dragon Quest and hold up Geno to a sacred pedestal.

It's gotten to the point where people believe that you're trolling again. As in this isn't the first time that people believe you're trolling. I get that you're "passionate," but it's reached the point where your behavior derails this thread to the point where it has become borderline, if not actual trolling.

Something needs to change, because this thread keeps moving in circles and it doesn't help anybody.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
That Dragon Quest 11S panel was great! Some notes:
They kept talking about hpw the Switch version will have new, exclusive content but did not elaborate, keeping it a mystery.

They described how important Japanese voice acting is to the game. The western release will seemingly include it.

The game is coming out in 2019. Since subs and a dub already exist, it will likely have a much faster localization.

The game was built from the ground up on the Switch. They are extremely dedicated to making the Switch version particularly great.

Seems like they are giving the Switch a lot of love.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, with how they are treating spirits in this game, i do genuinely think thats about the most some characters will get. We know the DLC has been planned out, Piranha Plant just has no spirit in the game (but there is a nipper plant that becomes petey piranha, weird enhancable). I think like smash 4, most of the new characters will be 3rd party and not in the base game at all. Anyway I say all that because I really don't think Geno is gonna be in as a brand new fighter, he's got a summon option, he's one of the wol battles and he's a legend spirit. Maybe they'll bring the mii costume back, that'd be an outright deconfirm if its dlc. (I miss 3rd party mii costumes in general)

-Coco-

Smash Ace
That Dragon Quest 11S panel was great! Some notes:
They kept talking about hpw the Switch version will have new, exclusive content but did not elaborate, keeping it a mystery.

They described how important Japanese voice acting is to the game. The western release will seemingly include it.

The game is coming out in 2019. Since subs and a dub already exist, it will likely have a much faster localization.

The game was built from the ground up on the Switch. They are extremely dedicated to making the Switch version particularly great.

Seems like they are giving the Switch a lot of love.
To my knowledge it hasn't been announced for coming to the West yet. Did I miss something?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Honestly, with how they are treating spirits in this game, i do genuinely think thats about the most some characters will get. We know the DLC has been planned out, Piranha Plant just has no spirit in the game (but there is a nipper plant that becomes petey piranha, weird enhancable). I think like smash 4, most of the new characters will be 3rd party and not in the base game at all. Anyway I say all that because I really don't think Geno is gonna be in as a brand new fighter, he's got a summon option, he's one of the wol battles and he's a legend spirit. Maybe they'll bring the mii costume back, that'd be an outright deconfirm if its dlc. (I miss 3rd party mii costumes in general)
In all honesty, I'm pretty sure that Piranha Plant was low priority but didn't make the base roster. I feel it was always going to be ni the game but it missed the mark. We'll have to see what the victory fanfare number is to see If I'm correct on this one, though.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
yknow if a dragon quest rep is the most likely looking character with crono following behind i just wanna mention the high probability for an akira toriyama character is pretty cool tbh. closest we will get to goku. fingers crossed for crono, but erdrick/luminary would be pretty awesome too

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
To my knowledge it hasn't been announced for coming to the West yet. Did I miss something?
When discussing the game in interviews a year ago, they brought up various things: how ps4 localization was going, how the 3ds version would not be loalized because of specific reasons regarding the 3ds and how the switch version was still being developed. It seems completely implied the Switch version is being localized, considering how big of a deal they were saying this version is today. The 3ds version was not localized because they did not feel like localizing the 3ds version would hit the nostalgic notes it did in Japan in the west and because they admitted they felt it wouldnt do well on the 3ds in the west. The switch suffers from neither of these. Additionally, if dq is in Smash like it is looking to be, a localization is probably guaranteed anyways.

But no, their discussion did not bring up the west, but they did talk about how important adding Japanese voice actong was.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I know it's a different scenario, but DQHeroes1+2 was never released on western shores, despite having English voice acting and texto available. Wonder what's up with that. I hope DQXIs doesn't get stuck in the same limbo.

Oh well. At least it's coming 2019. I was afraid ir would come 2020.

From the looks of it, the panel was a bit underwhelming. I mean Builders 2 is ok. But the mobile games that are Japan exclusive grind my gears.
I'm just excited for builders and 11 there gonna be great

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
As they described it, the Switch version of Dq11 will be the definitive in multiple ways.
To me it reads as square going "hey, do you guys like Dragon quest yet? That's ok, we'll check again later" though that's probably the bitterness talking. Regardless. Was there any new info on crystal chronicles? Or was it just a trailer?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Not for those guys who care too much about graphics though...
I suppose its quality vs quantity in a way. The switch version will have more stuff on top. But the ps4 and pc versions look a bit better. I will say though, the Switch version doesnt look much below ps4 graphically. If you look at them side by side.

To me it reads as square going "hey, do you guys like Dragon quest yet? That's ok, we'll check again later" though that's probably the bitterness talking. Regardless. Was there any new info on crystal chronicles? Or was it just a trailer?
Crystal chronicles will feature online multiplayer apparently

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I suppose its quality vs quantity in a way. The switch version will have more stuff on top. But the ps4 and pc versions look a bit better. I will say though, the Switch version doesnt look much below ps4 graphically. If you look at them side by side.
I mean, I don't whine about it. That's just the first complaint I ran into.
I should take a break from /v/ sometimes...

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
And to repeat myself he's done this alot go back check out all of his comments he goes on about how we talk crap about geno blah blah he goes on about how he hates dragon quest because of the composer he goes on about how he's gonna call Square Enix because of geno at this point if anyone believes he's not trolling is beyond me
I've pretty much read this entire thread already and I don't know what to say except it's kinda disappointing not just how he acts but the fact others felt the need to apologize for it

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Why haven't you guys pressed the ignore button on this guy? It would help a lot with your problems.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I've pretty much read this entire thread already and I don't know what to say except it's kinda disappointing not just how he acts but the fact others felt the need to apologize for it
He's a geno fan but he doesn't reflect the fan base he reflects him self as far as I'm concerned geno supporters are cool

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So no Erdrick reveal yet?

Still have my issues with it appearing anywhere else but today. He's a fan pleasing character for Japan only. The perfect time was a Japanese event.

It could still happen down the line but I really think people are jumping the gun on Erdrick. It just doesn't feel right for a number of reasons to me. None of which resort to ''BUT HE AIN'T GENO! SORA! THAT ONE GUY LARA CROFT SHOT IN THE FACE IN THE SHADOW OF TOMB RAIDER"

-Coco-

Smash Ace

Still have my issues with it appearing anywhere else but today. He's a fan pleasing character for Japan only. The perfect time was a Japanese event.

It could still happen down the line but I really think people are jumping the gun on Erdrick. It just doesn't feel right for a number of reasons to me. None of which resort to ''BUT HE AIN'T GENO! SORA! THAT ONE GUY LARA CROFT SHOT IN THE FACE IN THE SHADOW OF TOMB RAIDER"
There's still a DQ 11 stream coming in January which also when a Nintendo direct is rumored to happen.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean, I don't whine about it. That's just the first complaint I ran into.
I should take a break from /v/ sometimes...
To be completely honest I think /v/ is better than this thread sometimes. On 4chan people bash stuff for the sake of it, whereas here people bash stuff because they think it'll further their argument when it doesn't.
Why haven't you guys pressed the ignore button on this guy? It would help a lot with your problems.
To be completely honest? I hate ignoring people. I hate missing pieces of the conversation and I hate the little "show ignored content" button on the bottom even more.

Is it stubborn? Yes. Do I care? No.

What are said reasons if I may ask?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What are said reasons if I may ask?
DLC is meant to appeal to a wide audience. Dragon Quest appeals to Japanese audience and only a slight sum of the Western audience. This makes it a shaky choice to choose. You risk it just sort of achieving nothing for yourself in one side of the world. That could all change based on moveset potential, etc, etc.

Which brings me to moveset potential. Erdrick might bring the most unique **** we've ever seen. People are still gonna see a sword anime man. I have my doubts we're getting ANY swords animemen and women as DLC specifically because of the backlash from last time.

Dragon Quest has never appeared in a place where Square didn't have full control over it. That ain't gonna start with Smash. I feel like from their track record they'd be even more stingy with it than they would with Cloud.

I don't think the story behind how Dragon Quest was picked or has been crafted at that moment is accurate to how business would work. If Sakurai approached about Dragon Quest specifically than sure, but no, that most common story is that he approached about a Square rep. Which just.....seems time consuming. You'd be better approaching about a specific character because you had some sort of plan already in your head about said character.

I'm no longer convinced that a Square rep is even going to happen. I'm about 50/50 on it now despite it being something we've known for a while.

Just a few thoughts.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
DLC is meant to appeal to a wide audience. Dragon Quest appeals to Japanese audience and only a slight sum of the Western audience. This makes it a shaky choice to choose. You risk it just sort of achieving nothing for yourself in one side of the world. That could all change based on moveset potential, etc, etc.

Which brings me to moveset potential. Erdrick might bring the most unique **** we've ever seen. People are still gonna see a sword anime man. I have my doubts we're getting ANY swords animemen and women as DLC specifically because of the backlash from last time.

Dragon Quest has never appeared in a place where Square didn't have full control over it. That ain't gonna start with Smash. I feel like from their track record they'd be even more stingy with it than they would with Cloud.

I don't think the story behind how Dragon Quest was picked or has been crafted at that moment is accurate to how business would work. If Sakurai approached about Dragon Quest specifically than sure, but no, that most common story is that he approached about a Square rep. Which just.....seems time consuming. You'd be better approaching about a specific character because you had some sort of plan already in your head about said character.

I'm no longer convinced that a Square rep is even going to happen. I'm about 50/50 on it now despite it being something we've known for a while.

Just a few thoughts.
THere's another DQ Stream on Jan 1st.

Calane

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't think we're going to get another DLC character announcement for a while.

My opinion is that if Erdrick's in, he'll just be announced in a Nintendo Direct like any ordinary character would. I understand people want to single him out due to mostly being popular in Japan, but I really don't think that would be much of a problem. All they would need to do is find a good way to segue into it, like after talking about how the Switch version of DQ11 is coming to the west or something.

I just see it happening in a Nintendo Direct, if it happens at all.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well we have until a supposed January direct to TGS for him to be revealed if he is truly in. Going to be a wild ride for sure.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I've been lurking the thread for a little bit, just popping in here to say hi.

So, anything new other than the usual Erdrick speculation?

D

Deleted member

damn that erdrick reveal at jump festa was hype
Who could have seen him literally murdering every other square character ever coming?

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
I'm late but I'm back from the Jump Fiesta stream, it was kinda meh, I wasn't expecting smash so i wasnt disappointed about that but i was hoping for a bit more info on DQ XI S, at least we learned it was being made from the ground up and isn't a port/has new content, plus that january stream announcement is exciting!

Yeah, sadly Switch version isn't confirmed coming here yet but I wouldn't doubt it happening.
I'm pretty sure that Dragon Quest XI was announced to come to the west? I thought it did at least? At a square enix twitch stream on the 20th where they were doing giveaways, someone asked about the switch version in chat and said that theyd be waiting a while for it, so I think that basically confirms it

The "face' of the Persona franchise changes each game. Yu was only the face of the franchise because Persona 4 was the game they were building off of. Now that Persona 5 is out Atlus is now building off of P5 and Joker. Erdrick is and always has been the face of the Franchise since his debut in DQ3. Regardless, regardless of the 5ch rumor being true, I've always suspected that Luminary will be an Alt, so Luminary would still be in the game.
Erdrick isn't only big in the third game, he's in (not physically, but still played an important role) Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior, whatever you wanna call it) I & II as well so he's always kinda been a mascot of sorts, probably the most popular character, other than slime of course

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Looked through the thread posts from last night, and oh ****ing boy.

There's still a whole year for Erdrick to be revealed, so don't lose hope.
Man; I thought that guy with the envelope was going to pull out a Smash invitation.

Sorry you didn't get in guy's! It's a cutthroat race, smash speculation.
Is being an unlikable asswipe one of your hobbies?

Polan

Smash Lord
who gives a flying **** what the "mUh aNiMe SwOrdMan!1!!" crowd says. nintendo shouldn't be giving any attention to a dumb vocal minority who still think every sword fighter is a marth clone.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
who gives a flying **** what the "mUh aNiMe SwOrdMan!1!!" crowd says. nintendo shouldn't be giving any attention to a dumb vocal minority who still think every sword fighter is a marth clone.
The rest of the Fire Emblem cast confirmed

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I admit I was pretty tired last night, I didn't feel like watching the stream.
But now it's coming back to me.

So excited for DQXIs. I'm putting my money on a fall release.

Builders 2 is awesome too!

I guess the waiting game starts now. Better find other uses for my time.

The fact that Builders 1+2 revolve around the Erdrick saga, instead of being a stand-alone unique story is probably the biggest draw for me for these games.

Top Bottom