• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
>the same person acts a certain despite multiple people explaining to them why they're wrong
Is this a rerun?
Seriously though lets not have a repeat of last night
This whole thread is basically like the Endless Eight arc of Haruhi Suzumiya. The same series of events are repeated for multiple episodes with only slight variations each time. People who are watching this unfold live are frustrated and impatiently waiting for the plot to finally move along, and people who look back on this thread are gonna have to slog through multiple pages of monotonous bs to get to any remotely interesting discussion. I hope to God we get developments soon because this is getting super tedious.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
This whole thread is basically like the Endless Eight arc of Haruhi Suzumiya. The same series of events are repeated for multiple episodes with only slight variations each time. People who are watching this unfold live are frustrated and impatiently waiting for the plot to finally move along, and people who look back on this thread are gonna have to slog through multiple pages of monotonous bs to get to any remotely interesting discussion. I hope to God we get developments soon because this is getting super tedious.
I think we can ALL agree that new developments would be a godsend, regardless of character. I honestly just want to bite that deconfirmation bullet.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This is totally rough on everyone involved, and what makes it rougher is the fact that we likely won't have any big developments for another few months, at least. It's really down to the wire on who this Square rep is, if there even is one, and it's making a lot of heads spin.

Hang in there, y'all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not being negative; probably will come off that way. Bias cannot be erased but I do what I can to the best of my ability. This is just my read of the situation:

If Erdrick is revealed anywhere BESIDES here at Jump Fiesta; It would be a massive ****show/back lash. Not saying it's not possible, but because DQ has such a bad track record in the states, I also would be surprised if Nintendo/Squeenix didn't take where to reveal DQ content in Smash into heavy consideration. This is to push their franchise after all; and after several botched attempts to boot. Square has been around the block a couple time with how NOT to advertise Dragon Quest to us filthy muricans.
Counterpoint: if Erdrick is revealed at E3 alongside with Banjo, I don’t think even you would be mad.

I didn't personally hear it, but Verge is adamant that Sora is not in the game, and I trust Verge w/ Smash info.
Aw man. Well, thanks for the candid answer.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Counterpoint: if Erdrick is revealed at E3 alongside with Banjo, I don’t think even you would be mad.

Aw man. Well, thanks for the candid answer.
If Erdrick was revealed alongside ****in' BANJO I'd be so hyped for Banjo it'd make me all hype for Erdrick
I'd be sitting there like "MAN Y'KNOW GIRL ERDRICK'S CUTE ANYWAY THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME"

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If I had some kind of leaked information; and I knew who was in, I'd just take the bullet for everyone and get fired. No one deserves MONTHS more of ****ing waiting, no matter who you support.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Erdrick was revealed alongside ****in' BANJO I'd be so hyped for Banjo it'd make me all hype for Erdrick
I'd be sitting there like "MAN Y'KNOW GIRL ERDRICK'S CUTE ANYWAY THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME"
Erdrick Dovahkiin dual reveal

Like, I'm just saying, there are a MILLION ways to make people into Erdrick's reveal.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Same. God, if Erdrick got announced alongside Banjo, I wouldn't even care and would just cut my losses for Geno 'til next Smash. Banjo is like, my most wanted outside of Geno (even though I'm far less into Banjo's speculation because I feel in my heart it won't happen). I would LOSE. IT.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Like, I'm just saying, there are a MILLION ways to make people into Erdrick's reveal.
I don't think Square would want DQ to share the spotlight to be honest. And I don't feel there's anyway to make a SOLO Erdrick reveal hype for non-fans.

You know what? If Geno got revealed with Erdrick; I'd reluctantly take my reservations.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Same. God, if Erdrick got announced alongside either Banjo, I wouldn't even care and would just cut my losses for Geno 'til next Smash. Banjo is like, my most wanted outside of Geno (even though I'm far less into Banjo's speculation because I feel in my heart it won't happen). I would LOSE. IT.
I too feel Banjo won't ever happen, which is why I've been able to successfully have no real investment in him in a Smash context.
But now that Steve's existence (I also love Steve haha) as DLC has been heavily called into question...makes me think, just maybe, maybe.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think Square would want DQ to share the spotlight to be honest. And I don't feel there's anyway to make a SOLO Erdrick reveal hype for non-fans.
Various ways to make a hype Erdrick solo reveal:
-Have him use Zap on Rathalos
-Show a cool moveset trailer that's interesting
-Girl Erdrick
-Have Toei animate the whole thing

Again I've never played DQ but I like Dragonball and like retro reps. Any reveal is cool if it's exciting enough. I didn't even think I was hype for Ken until his trailer ended up being awesome.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I am going to be honest, seeing the female version of Erdrick made me want the character a bit more.
If y'all know me from outside of this thread, y'all know my love for Katalina.
Well...guilty! Both Erdrick's look like they can't dress themselves but female Erdrick's award winning smile won me over a tiny bit lol.

If we did get a DQ rep, from my limited knowledge, I would enjoy Eight or Jade, tho.

D

Deleted member

Really all it takes is a cool design and moveset to get most people interested. Fem Erdrick being cute is just a cherry on the (hypothetical) top.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
-Have Toei animate the whole thing
I think this is what they would do with the reveal. The Joker trailer seemed to be made Atlus itself, so I imagine it will be something similar for the other third parties.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I know he has his spin-offs on Nintendo but the mainline has always been Sony. And while yes the Persona series is the same way there are two big things that are different, the rumored P5 port to Switch and the SMT having a huge history with Nintendo even doing a crossover with Fire Emblem.

I just don't see him getting in over other options that would better benefit Nintendo.

And even then Cloud was selected to represent the Final Fantasy series so Sora doesn't even fit the same mold as him.
You can't use this to legitimately support your argument because it's just a rumor. There is no evidence of Persona getting a port on the switch. Why in the world do people still use rumors for their argument? Especially after the Grinch Leak and Joker.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You can't use this to legitimately support your argument because it's just a rumor. There is no evidence of Persona getting a port on the switch. Why in the world do people still use rumors for their argument? Especially after the Grinch Leak.
The Grinch Leak has nothing to do with this lol

One was an image posted by an anonymous
P5 getting a port has been spread around by numerous insiders who have been correct in the past

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
guys is it weird that i want more sword users in the game i'm just tired of fire emblem sword users like using a sword can be unique depending on how they use it

D

Deleted member

guys is it weird that i want more sword users in the game i'm just tired of fire emblem sword users like using a sword can be unique depending on how they use it
Pretty much. It's about the application way more than the concept.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well...guilty! Both Erdrick's look like they can't dress themselves but female Erdrick's award winning smile won me over a tiny bit lol.
This was the first thing to pop into my head. I am talking milliseconds here.
250px-Hero3female.png

"This smile, I will protect this smile. I will FIGHT YOU for this smile, you will not hurt this smile. For you see, there are some things in life worth protecting, some things worth living for, some things worth dying for. A smile like this can thaw the iciest of hearts, dispel the darkest of evils and win the mightiest of wars. THIS SMILE WILL BE THE THING THAT PULLS US FROM THE DEPTHS OF DESPAIR, AND LEAD US TO THE PATH OF SALVATION. WARS WILL BE FOUGHT, PEOPLE WILL BE SAVED AND CIVILIZATIONS WILL PROSPER BECAUSE OF THIS SMILE. SO FROM THIS DAY FORWARD I SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO SHIELD THIS SMILE FROM ALL HARM THAT MAY COME TO IT, ALL DANGERS IT MAY POSSIBLY FACE AND GIVE MY LIFE FOR IT!"

D

Deleted member

This was the first thing to pop into my head. I am talking milliseconds here.
View attachment 183882
"This smile, I will protect this smile. I will FIGHT YOU for this smile, you will not hurt this smile. For you see, there are some things in life worth protecting, some things worth living for, some things worth dying for. A smile like this can thaw the iciest of hearts, dispel the darkest of evils and win the mightiest of wars. THIS SMILE WILL BE THE THING THAT PULLS US FROM THE DEPTHS OF DESPAIR, AND LEAD US TO THE PATH OF SALVATION. WARS WILL BE FOUGHT, PEOPLE WILL BE SAVED AND CIVILIZATIONS WILL PROSPER BECAUSE OF THIS SMILE. SO FROM THIS DAY FORWARD I SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO SHIELD THIS SMILE FROM ALL HARM THAT MAY COME TO IT, ALL DANGERS IT MAY POSSIBLY FACE AND GIVE MY LIFE FOR IT!"
WELL SPOKEN

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
the whole argument that all sword users play like marth or something like that i always thought that was silly like each one would bring something new and unique to the table.
Erdick while being another swordsman would be special in his own way bringing spells that Robin cannot access while also looking in my opinion really cool with the Akira Toriyama art style would make him stand out and while Crono may or may not have a chance he would also be very unique in his own way as well bringing a katana in to smash a sword no one i believe uses at all meh i love swords lol

D

Deleted member

the whole argument that all sword users play like marth or something like that i always thought that was silly like each one would bring something new and unique to the table.
Erdick while being another swordsman would be special in his own way bringing spells that Robin cannot access while also looking in my opinion really cool with the Akira Toriyama art style would make him stand out and while Crono may or may not have a chance he would also be very unique in his own way as well bringing a katana in to smash a sword no one i believe uses at all meh i love swords lol
I've said before, if Erdrick is in I think seeing him in action is what would warm people up to him more. I trust Sakurai to make him completely unique if he does happen.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I can’t tell how I annoyed I am going into the Jump Festa livestream, and the only stuff so far from Square Enix has been Dragon Quest (with the exception of that one Mobile game that looks like it, but is a different series).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
also Square Enix is just dropping a bunch of mobile games i'll never play :( because they'll never bring it over
SQUARE ENIX WHY

D

Deleted member

I can’t tell how I annoyed I am going into the Jump Festa livestream, and the only stuff so far from Square Enix has been Dragon Quest (with the exception of that one Mobile game that looks like it, but is a different series).
That's what they said they'd be showing lol
A smash reveal is super unlikely

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm gonna make a crazy prediction; it won't be DQ.... it will be Crono
I only see Crono happening if music rights become an issue for Erdrick. Both franchises are owned by the exact same people outside of music. If given the choice, Japanese people absolutely would prioritize Erdrick over Crono.

Top Bottom