• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Oh ****, I really hope we get a Dragon Quest collection or something if we get Erdrick in, I'd actually love to go play them. Maybe just the first six since those aren't readily available these days.

I've been meaning to play a Dragon Quest game for ages, is there one I should specifically try (Look at me trying to be all ambitious and explore RPGs despite the fact I utterly suck at finishing them...)
If you want to learn about Erdrick specifically, play 1, 2, 3, and 11 in that order.
As for a general starting point though, 3, 4, 5, 8, and 11 are all good ones.

D

Deleted member

imo there’s no way there will be an announcement, for the same reasons they probably wouldn’t announce Steve at minecon. Nintendo isn’t gonna want smash/Nintendo fans to miss a big announcement like a new character so they only announce things at either big crossover events like e3 or TGA or at their own events like they directs. If they haven’t told people to watch the stream for a special Nintendo-related surprise, nothing is gonna be announcend.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Lol.. what would the odds be that Goku is getting in, and Polar/Xeno among the rest have heard Erdick so much that is that they have mistaken Erdick for Goku for some reason xD (no I don't want Goku in no matter what, it's just that the image of it possibly being the cause popped out in my mind)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
imo there’s no way there will be an announcement, for the same reasons they probably wouldn’t announce Steve at minecon. Nintendo isn’t gonna want smash/Nintendo fans to miss a big announcement like a new character so they only announce things at either big crossover events like e3 or TGA or at their own events like they directs. If they haven’t told people to watch the stream for a special Nintendo-related surprise, nothing is gonna be announcend.
If it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo announced Shulk out of the blue in a Nintendo Direct focused on the Japanese market, I would have agreed with you. But because of that, I wouldn't say it's impossible that they would announce Erdick in a place like Jump Fiesta

D

Deleted member

If it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo announced Shulk out of the blue in a Nintendo Direct focused on the Japanese market, I would have agreed with you. But because of that, I wouldn't say it's impossible that they would announce Erdick in a place like Jump Fiesta
That was still their own event though. This is a third-party event not being promoted by Nintendo afaik. Similar in that they’re both japan only please understand but different in that people who are just general Nintendo fans would have about zero inclination to watch. At least the direct shulk was announced in was still a ‘Nintendo’ direct.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes, Nintendo likes keeping everything related to their games within their own presentations, which is why I was dumb for thinking Vergeben's Minecraft rumors would be confirmed at Minecon.

I don't expect any Erdrick reveal until January at the earliest.

Last edited:

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
Oh ****, I really hope we get a Dragon Quest collection or something if we get Erdrick in, I'd actually love to go play them. Maybe just the first six since those aren't readily available these days.

I've been meaning to play a Dragon Quest game for ages, is there one I should specifically try (Look at me trying to be all ambitious and explore RPGs despite the fact I utterly suck at finishing them...)
If you have a PS4, I reccomend trying XI, it was designed to be many people's first Dragon Quest game, or alternatively you can wait for the switch port, but you'll be waiting a while lol
I started with V, and I'd say thats a pretty good starting point
You can start with just about any, but I wouldn't reccomend starting with I or II since they're pretty archaic compared to III onwards
maybe start with IV on DS? It's considered one of the best I believe, plus its the start of a trilogy (4-6 is a trilogy known as the Zenithia Trilogy), though it doesn't matter what order you play the Zenithia trilogy in (or any DQ game really for that matter), they're all very loosely connected
Alteranitvely you can start with VIII on the 3DS, VIII is widely considered the best one
Sorry for rambling on a bit there, but TL;DR 4, 5, 8, or 11 are where I'd reccomend to start

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Ok this was a few pages back, but a Three Houses rep is a really big 50/50 chance.

Sakurai said he picked the characters from a bunch of options Nintendo gave them, and if he even thought Corrin was too much last time, then yeah I really don't see it happening. Sylux also seems completely unnecessary and redundant now that we finally have Ridley.

This seems really off topic and I'm sorry, but I just wanted to give my thoughts on this.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
That was still their own event though. This is a third-party event not being promoted by Nintendo afaik. Similar in that they’re both japan only please understand but different in that people who are just general Nintendo fans would have about zero inclination to watch. At least the direct shulk was announced in was still a ‘Nintendo’ direct.
True.. however, Jump Fiesta is what you could argue is Japans own San Diego comic con and considering it's the Japanese market that would be the ones hyped towards Erdick, it would make sense to have him on there if they so wanted. The only thing that really goes against him not being announced there (would Erdick really be the Square rep) is the short window it would be between Joker and Erdick in terms of time of the announcement.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If Sakurai really thought there was to many FE characters, then he shouldn't have added Chrom

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
An Erdrick reveal probably won't happen, but I wouldn't entirely count it out. Jump Festa is a big event with Comic Con levels of attendance, and like many have mentioned here, it would go over very well with the Japanese audience (including the people that will be watching it online). However, Nintendo usually doesn't reveal stuff outside of their own presentations, and I'm not sure if they'd be willing to show off their content at a mostly manga-centric event. Also, it's only been, what, two weeks since Joker's reveal? I'm not expecting anything huge to get revealed, but it's entirely possible that they'd throw in a reveal similar to Joker's; no gameplay, just an animated trailer showing that he's coming (animated by Toei?)

That's my take; unlikely, but not impossible.
Chrom was an easy echo. Makes sense to me.
Plus, unlike Sylux, he actually had demand.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True.. however, Jump Fiesta is what you could argue is Japans own San Diego comic con and considering it's the Japanese market that would be the ones hyped towards Erdick, it would make sense to have him on there if they so wanted. The only thing that really goes against him not being announced there (would Erdick really be the Square rep) is the short window it would be between Joker and Erdick in terms of time of the announcement.
Ok but what about the western fans? Shulk was a japan only announcement, but that was still a Nintendo direct. Western fans would have absolutely 0 inclination to watch jump festa at all. Remember how people we’re saying square would want to push DQ in the West? If they were doing that, they would have his announcement be in either a relatively prestigious event about games or a Nintendo direct that reaches a global audience, likely the latter.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Chrom was an easy echo. Makes sense to me.
Easy echo yes. But I still stand by the fact that he shouldn't have added him in as playable did he really think that. He could have gone with someone like Dixie and made her a Diddy echo. Could have done some minor changes with that model to make her or something, talked to Sega and asked about the options to make Shadow an echo... Or heck.. not gone so overboard with Assist Throphies and have an extra character instead.

QUOTE="Onereasonanddone, post: 22855836, member: 409384"]Ok but what about the western fans? Shulk was a japan only announcement, but that was still a Nintendo direct. Western fans would have absolutely 0 inclination to watch jump festa at all. Remember how people we’re saying square would want to push DQ in the West? If they were doing that, they would have his announcement be in either a relatively prestigious event about games or a Nintendo direct that reaches a global audience, likely the latter.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I give you that one.

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Easy echo yes. But I still stand by the fact that he shouldn't have added him in as playable did he really think that. He could have gone with someone like Dixie and made her a Diddy echo. Could have done some minor changes with that model to make her or something, talked to Sega and asked about the options to make Shadow an echo...
Chrom's situation is different though. Chrom fans were upset after he got snubbed in the last game, and he's always had a sizable demand, so him getting added as an Echo really makes sense. Dixie would be cool, but she doesn't have the same popularity that Chrom does.

Shadow not being an Echo is probably the most surprising thing about Ultimate though, ngl.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Chrom's situation is different though. Chrom fans were upset after he got snubbed in the last game, and he's always had a sizable demand, so him getting added as an Echo really makes sense. Dixie would be cool, but she doesn't have the same popularity that Chrom does.

Shadow not being an Echo is probably the most surprising thing about Ultimate though, ngl.
There will be fans that get upset no matter what. While the subject of Fire Emblem, there is still Lyn fans that are pissed that she is an Assist Trophies, the character that is arguably the most popular in the entire Fire Emblem franchise. Do I need to point out how Waluigi and Isaac fans felt when they saw their respective characters as ATs as well? The list goes on. Sakurai isn't a god that can put every character in there. He might be able to do wonders like being able to get Cloud but making the "perfect" roster as in making everyone happy. That's something he is never unable to do.

That's why I firmly stand by the fact that if he truly felt that there is to many Fire Emblem characters, Chrom shouldn't have been added (and I say this as someone that mains Chrom).

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure you're in the right thread? This is a DLC character support thread.

:/
Honestly, I would've preferred not. While many custom moves were fun (never came around to getting them all), the fact that they were forbidden in online matches and were incredibly hard to unlock hindered them badly. More so with Palutena, whose entire gimmick was based around them. Now she's just a regular-*** character.
She's a GOOD character now, **** those custom moves. That was what made her so laggy in the first place.

Sooo, I've read pretty much all this thread, lurked for a while now and i must say i'm shocked!

A thread about SE x Smash Ultimate and nobody talks about the most likely candidates!

These guys were in about a dozen Final Fantasy games (including spinoffs), they even appear in Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts II for **** sake!
(^this part is not a joke^)

BIGGS & WEDGE !!!
or Vicks and Wedge in some versions.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Biggs_and_Wedge

I'm obviously joking around but if by any Piranha Plantesque turn of events, i happen to be right, you heard it here first :p

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Joker wasn't at a Nintendo event either though. I will admit that Nintendo was there of course but it's entirely feasible for Nintendo to have presence at Jump Festa with the Switch iteration being the focus. Especially with a "hidden guest" being teased

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
There will be fans that get upset no matter what. While the subject of Fire Emblem, there is still Lyn fans that are pissed that she is an Assist Trophies, the character that is arguably the most popular in the entire Fire Emblem franchise. Do I need to point out how Waluigi and Isaac fans felt when they saw their respective characters as ATs as well? The list goes on. Sakurai isn't a god that can put every character in there. He might be able to do wonders like being able to get Cloud but making the "perfect" roster as in making everyone happy. That's something he is never unable to do.

That's why I firmly stand by the fact that if he truly felt that there is to many Fire Emblem characters, Chrom shouldn't have been added (and I say this as someone that mains Chrom).
I actually agree; there are way too many Fire Emblem characters. I just think that his inclusion kind of makes sense.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Jumping to assumptions isn't like you.

To start, I would call the details vague, or at least base planning. If they gave details like the Reddit leak did for Incineroar and Piranha Plant's moveset and the Fly Swatter AT I would agree with you. But stages, costumes, and Slime and Jack Frost appearing sounds like things they'd write down on paper and then go and program.

While I'm not saying this makes it more credible, 2chan is a Japanese website, and it's more likely that someone working on a Japanese game would leak there compared to 4chan considering that most of the work is now being done there.

P5A will never be officially delayed because it's hasn't even been announced yet. The delay is only known behind the scenes, and Polar's source corroborated that information. P5R is more known due to Mystic, but even then it's confined to corners of the internet where it's difficult to find.

It's not the strongest "leak," I've seen, but it's one of the more convincing ones I've seen. It's worth at least keeping an eye on.
You're right; it isn't, so thanks for keeping me in check.

It's certainly got some stuff going for it. I'm just shocked at how many people are seeing it as the absolute 100% truth; imo it's something worth keeping an eye on as you said. Thanks TPC; this makes a lot of sense.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I actually agree; there are way too many Fire Emblem characters. I just think that his inclusion kind of makes sense.
It depends on how you look at it if you ask me, and I'm personally with you that there is to many (coming from a Fire Emblem and a Chrom fan). I'm just saying that I find it quite hypocritical of Sakurai to add Chrom all things considered if Sakurai really felt that there is to many Fire Emblem characters. Especially if the only reason why he put Corrin in was that he could make something new with him.

D

Deleted member

Why no 6 or 7?
I left off 6 due to generally more mixed reception - I do like it, but I think that for some people it may not be the best first impression for the series.
7 I would recommend last due to just how long it is. It's still a great game though.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman

It's not that big of a deal that Chrom is added since he is an echo.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Hold up. Are you trying to say Dixie is less popular than Chrom???

Cause that is absolutely not the case. Dixie Kong has been mentioned for years alongside King K. Rool as a potential new DK rep, and has had some serious support going into this game especially, though admittedly smaller than K. Rool's base was.

Chrom had support coming into Ultimate, but it wasn't huge and he didn't have much support seeing as he was, you know, a blue haired swordsman from Fire Emblem. Some people expected him, and Echoes gave him a nice boost. But compared to Dixie Kong? Absolutely not, she's much more popular and has been a mainstay of speculation since the Smash 4 days.

She was never going to be an Echo because she requires just way too many changes to make fit her "personality" as Sakurai would call it. Chrom was easy to make into an Echo (Though he did get some nice changes). That's the reason he is as an Echo and Dixie is not. Not because he was more popular.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Cause that is absolutely not the case. Dixie Kong has been mentioned for years alongside King K. Rool as a potential new DK rep, and has had some serious support going into this game especially, though admittedly smaller than K. Rool's base was.

Chrom had support coming into Ultimate, but it wasn't huge and he didn't have much support seeing as he was, you know, a blue haired swordsman from Fire Emblem. Some people expected him, and Echoes gave him a nice boost. But compared to Dixie Kong? Absolutely not, she's much more popular and has been a mainstay of speculation since the Smash 4 days.

She was never going to be an Echo because she requires just way too many changes to make fit her "personality" as Sakurai would call it. Chrom was easy to make into an Echo (Though he did get some nice changes). That's the reason he is as an Echo and Dixie is not. Not because he was more popular.
Wait we're still using the argument that Sakurai wouldn't make a character an Echo because it wouldn't fit their personality when we have Dark Samus?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's not that big of a deal that Chrom is added since he is an echo.
I agree. I'm just saying that I don't believe his "I think there was too many Fire emblem but added Corrin because he could do something new with him" is bs due to Chroms echo inclusion

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Dixie is more "popular" when it comes to speculation.

But Chrom spawned memes beyond what Waluigi got in Ultimate, in Smash 4 when he got deconfirmed, and ended up being "wished" by more people and literally had meme magic behind him.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

But Chrom spawned memes beyond what Waluigi got in Ultimate, in Smash 4 when he got deconfirmed, and ended up being "wished" by more people and literally had meme magic behind him.
I don't think this is fair even.

Sure Dixie's never had that meme magic but she's had everything else. She's been pretty well-loved for decades now. Always been pretty decently requested every game.

Chrom's quite popular but overall? Dixie is more.

D

Deleted member

That is not even remotely a good judge of popularity. Unless your name is Ridley of course. Most Chrom memes were just mocking “I’ll get my chance another day”, and it wasn’t even some huge thing. Can’t remember a major news outlet covering chrom’s deconfirmation.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
In terms of Shulk and the Japanese direct vs. the Jump Festa thing...

The thing about Shulk is that he was a base game character. Given he comes right with Sm4sh, wasn't an extremely hype addition (afaik), and doesn't require any sort of monetary investment at any point, it's not surprising that he was revealed in such a passing manner.

DLC is a different beast, something that has always only come with huge announcements like E3/TGA (big, worldwide-watched, crossover events) and Nintendo Directs. The climate is different, and I see no reason why a Jump Festa announcement would happen for a DLC character like Erdrick. I feel he'd be more suited to a Nintendo Direct.

Then again, no one expected Joker at the TGAs, so anything is possible. I'm not ruling it out, but I can't see it as likely.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I left off 6 due to generally more mixed reception - I do like it, but I think that for some people it may not be the best first impression for the series.
7 I would recommend last due to just how long it is. It's still a great game though.
I had no idea 6 had a negative reception

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, this thread have grown incredibly fast for the short time it has been around. It is 11th in replies right now, and it is certainly not far off from reaching page 100.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I had no idea 6 had a negative reception
6, 7 and 2 are generally the most disliked. 6 because the double world feels padded. 7 is in the same situation with the hour long prologue and the class system being inaccessible until hours into the game. 2 was ok but just not as strong of a game due to balance issues and it going for too long.

D

Deleted member

Where does it not deliver the content promised? theres a video of Joker model out there, its not clear what that guy actually has anyway. I agree that it could be possible that the post date was modified, but that seems a bit unlikely that the writer modified it himself, unless he just saw the modified screen cap pass around. (If so thats surprising that ELEC SPO would risk themselves like that,but who knows?)
The poster promised a video, which hasn't turned out and is common for people making fake leaks there to claim to have evidence but never doing anything. In addition it contains elements for a fake leak, you have 4 heavily speculated characters by 4chan (SE rep due to Vergeben and Geno not being popular there at the moment so they went with Crono without confirming him, MS rep with Banjo being the most common one but also not confirming him, Edelgard due to Corrin memeing, and Sylux due to heavily speculating him) plus a wildcard choice. Like I said I wouldn't put my hopes on it too much.
If you have a PS4, I reccomend trying XI, it was designed to be many people's first Dragon Quest game, or alternatively you can wait for the switch port, but you'll be waiting a while lol
I started with V, and I'd say thats a pretty good starting point
You can start with just about any, but I wouldn't reccomend starting with I or II since they're pretty archaic compared to III onwards
maybe start with IV on DS? It's considered one of the best I believe, plus its the start of a trilogy (4-6 is a trilogy known as the Zenithia Trilogy), though it doesn't matter what order you play the Zenithia trilogy in (or any DQ game really for that matter), they're all very loosely connected
Alteranitvely you can start with VIII on the 3DS, VIII is widely considered the best one
Sorry for rambling on a bit there, but TL;DR 4, 5, 8, or 11 are where I'd reccomend to start
Just to add to this, try avoiding 7 as the first one (especially PS version). It's pretty good but It takes a long time to get started and is a really long game (I'm about 60+ hours and I'm told that I have 30-40+ hours more).

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What's this about a Joker model video? I only remember those pictures showing off his model on the Switch, and they were obviously fake.

If there is a video on Youtube and Nintendo hasn't taken it down, it's most-likely fake.

Top Bottom