• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
We're all in agreement that if Erdrick is not announced tomorrow, it'll probably be by early Spring given how long Nintendo has been holding this baby and almost everyone agrees that E3's not likely for various reasons. Of course, there's always the small chance of a Japanese Direct like they did with Shulk.
I'm just waiting to see your reactions if/when there's no Square rep at all.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Dixie is more "popular" when it comes to speculation.

But Chrom spawned memes beyond what Waluigi got in Ultimate, in Smash 4 when he got deconfirmed, and ended up being "wished" by more people and literally had meme magic behind him.
I have no recollection of that at all, and I joined the day Chrom got deconfirmed haha. I mean, perhaps he did have more popularity than I thought, but I never saw any of it in the lead up besides a handful of dedicated fans supporting him this cycle. Dixie I’ve regularly seen support for all over the internet.

Also, I’m calling bull**** on the Waluigi thing. He’s the biggest Smash meme in existence by far. When I regularly meet people who poke fun at him not being included that have little to do with Smash, but know just enough about Internet culture, I’m going to say he’s become top dog easily.

All I ever heard with Chrom was, “Is that another Fire Emblem character?” And I remember no memes about him... but maybe that’s me, but that doesn’t seem like the type of thing I would just miss altogether...

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
FINALLY caught up with the thread. That took some time, guess that's what happens when you aren't active for 2 weeks. Erdrick isn't my number one pick for the Square rep but I'd totally be down for his inclusion. I actually have some interest in the Dragon Quest series and I do want to try it out. Wanna start out with the 1st 3 and since people are already talking about how to get into the series, I'd like to know what versions of the 1st 3 would be the best to play.

D

Deleted member

FINALLY caught up with the thread. That took some time, guess that's what happens when you aren't active for 2 weeks. Erdrick isn't my number one pick for the Square rep but I'd totally be down for his inclusion. I actually have some interest in the Dragon Quest series and I do want to try it out. Wanna start out with the 1st 3 and since people are already talking about how to get into the series, I'd like to know what versions of the 1st 3 would be the best to play.
Surprisingly, the mobile ports of them are the best that English-speaking regions currently have. There's also the SNES versions (which the mobile versions are based on, and have fan translations), but the translations of the mobile versions are much more in line with the rest of the series.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think mobile is the way to go. Unless you want to overpay for DS games, and Even then, DQ4 is a more complete experience on mobile.

And really, why would you need super precise controls for a turn based jRPG?
This is how I experienced 1~6. And I wish we had 7 and 3DS version of 8 on mobile.

Random question. Does anybody know if the name "Dragon Warrior" is still owned by S-E? Because I expected at least the 1st to be on the NES Classic Mini, and the Nintendo Online NES (or the 3DS, WiiU VCs, or the Anniversary Wii game, etc). But neither platform has the NES or GB originals.
...So I think something's up.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I have no recollection of that at all, and I joined the day Chrom got deconfirmed haha. I mean, perhaps he did have more popularity than I thought, but I never saw any of it in the lead up besides a handful of dedicated fans supporting him this cycle. Dixie I’ve regularly seen support for all over the internet.

Also, I’m calling bull**** on the Waluigi thing. He’s the biggest Smash meme in existence by far. When I regularly meet people who poke fun at him not being included that have little to do with Smash, but know just enough about Internet culture, I’m going to say he’s become top dog easily.

All I ever heard with Chrom was, “Is that another Fire Emblem character?” And I remember no memes about him... but maybe that’s me, but that doesn’t seem like the type of thing I would just miss altogether...
I don't think this is fair even.

Sure Dixie's never had that meme magic but she's had everything else. She's been pretty well-loved for decades now. Always been pretty decently requested every game.

Chrom's quite popular but overall? Dixie is more.
That is not even remotely a good judge of popularity. Unless your name is Ridley of course. Most Chrom memes were just mocking “I’ll get my chance another day”, and it wasn’t even some huge thing. Can’t remember a major news outlet covering chrom’s deconfirmation.
I don't think you realize how big of a meme Chrom's deconfirmation was in Japan, and even in the states with the "I'll get my chance another day" all of the Falcon throwing him out of the rosters meme, or character's face being slapped on the chrom body in the trailer after each deconfirmation etc etc etc...

Just look "I'll get my chance another day" in google/ Google image and you'll see the meme going even further other fandom too.

The things was so big, that it even was referenced in his classic mode ending picture, where it's him being finally welcomed into smash by other FE characters and Mario.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What's this about a Joker model video? I only remember those pictures showing off his model on the Switch, and they were obviously fake.

If there is a video on Youtube and Nintendo hasn't taken it down, it's most-likely fake.
There is a supposed leak before the VGA happen that claims, as follow these 5, are the DLC
Joker from Persona 5
Square rep (wasn't sure, but had heard Crono and Nekku from The World Ends with you)
Microsoft rep (heard Banjo Kazooie)
Edelgard from Fire Emblem Three Houses
Sylux from Metroid

After the poster wrote the claims, the individual said that it was going to post video evidence as soon as Nintendo had calmed down due to the leak of Smash Bros Ultimate was rather new at the time of that post. The supposed video has yet to be uploaded as of right now as far as I know

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think you realize how big of a meme Chrom's deconfirmation was in Japan, and even in the states with the "I'll get my chance another day" all of the Falcon throwing him out of the rosters meme, or character's face being slapped on the chrom body in the trailer after each deconfirmation etc etc etc...

Just look "I'll get my chance another day" in google/ Google image and you'll see the meme going even further other fandom too.

The things was so big, that it even was referenced in his classic mode ending picture, where it's him being finally welcomed into smash by other FE characters and Mario.
I get that it was /big/ but I think that Dixie's overall popularity outweighs that; this is kinda a subjective thing, don't think neither of our minds will be changed, though I really get why you feel this way.

...but it's the Squenix thread, let's get back to the nightly "well it's Erdrick right" talks

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I get that it was /big/ but I think that Dixie's overall popularity outweighs that; this is kinda a subjective thing, don't think neither of our minds will be changed, though I really get why you feel this way.

...but it's the Squenix thread, let's get back to the nightly "well it's Erdrick right" talks
I can't wait to pit Erdrick up against Minecraft Steve! :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

With the DQXI Jump Festa stream starting soon, I'd like to get this out there now that the possibility of a reveal happening there is... quite low. It's not impossible, Jump Festa would indeed be a good place to reveal a Smash character, but I just think it would be too soon after the last one.
This isn't an "only chance" for a DQ rep, if anything they'd probably just be announced in a regular direct.
Would love to be proven wrong, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If you're expecting anything from Jump Fiesta, stop doing that.

We do this same thing every time. "I'D HONESTLY EXPECT [X] TO REVEALED AT [EVENT RELATED TO X]"

It just doesn't happen.

D

Deleted member

I think that’s a pretty weak argument, but as the president said we should probably get back on topic. 90 minutes until that jump event huh? Betting the guest is toriyama. Even if he is a hermit.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently Nintendo actually has a Smash Bros. tournament going on at Jump Fiesta, NoJ even livestreaming it; if anyone mentioned that in this thread, then dang am I behind, I was just told in the Geno thread.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is fake.
I agree, but on what basis?

We're all in agreement that if Erdrick is not announced tomorrow, it'll probably be by early Spring given how long Nintendo has been holding this baby and almost everyone agrees that E3's not likely for various reasons. Of course, there's always the small chance of a Japanese Direct like they did with Shulk.
I don’t know who we is, but I definitely don’t agree.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I know this isn't entirely related to thread, but do we have any clues on what time the DLC was decided? Whether or not it was recently, a few months or a few years?

D

Deleted member

I know this isn't entirely related to thread, but do we have any clues on what time the DLC was decided? Whether or not it was recently, a few months or a few years?
If you consider how long Joker's trailer took to make (a couple months at the least), my guess would be around early-mid 2018.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That's what people said for TGA to be honest.
Yeah, but it was also said about MineCon and TGS and plenty of other places.

Chances are low. Not impossible, but low. The problem is whenever they don't happen people get all grumpy for some reason.

Personally I'm hoping it does because I love Smash reveals and I'm excited for any and all DLC news but I'm not expecting it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not being negative; probably will come off that way. Bias cannot be erased but I do what I can to the best of my ability. This is just my read of the situation:

If Erdrick is revealed anywhere BESIDES here at Jump Fiesta; It would be a massive ****show/back lash. Not saying it's not possible, but because DQ has such a bad track record in the states, I also would be surprised if Nintendo/Squeenix didn't take where to reveal DQ content in Smash into heavy consideration. This is to push their franchise after all; and after several botched attempts to boot. Square has been around the block a couple time with how NOT to advertise Dragon Quest to us filthy muricans.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Sakurai said the project plan was finished late 2015 and development started mid 2016. If I was to guess, negotiations and stuff were ongoing in early 2016.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Erdrick can always be revealed later if he is not revealed at this event. There isn't anything that says he needs to be revealed today.
Just don't even reply to him when it comes to DQ, it isn't worth the headache. You're still right though.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not being negative; probably will come off that way. Bias cannot be erased but I do what I can to the best of my ability. This is just my read of the situation:

If Erdrick is revealed anywhere BESIDES here at Jump Fiesta; It would be a massive ****show/back lash. Not saying it's not possible, but because DQ has such a bad track record in the states, I also would be surprised if Nintendo/Squeenix didn't take where to reveal DQ content in Smash into heavy consideration. This is to push their franchise after all; and after several botched attempts to boot. Square has been around the block a couple time with how NOT to advertise Dragon Quest to us filthy muricans.
nah dude people will just be like "oh cool neon Gohan" and move on with their damn day

Untouch

Smash Master
Square Enix's event is ONLY being streamed in Japanese, where TGA was streamed worldwide.
Don't expect a reveal, it will likely not happen and that doesn't matter.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

DQ's track record is just fine in the states. It's always been seen as pretty good from what I understand. I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
nah dude people will just be like "oh cool neon Gohan" and move on with their damn day
Are you sure even casuals are that apathetic lol? I imagine that even people who don't go to Smashboards care somewhat about what characters get in.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Everyone saying Square tried "several times" with DQ hasn't a clue about the situation. They're tried literally twice prior and one of those times wasn't due to poor DQ sales. It was SE's massive profit loss from 14 among other things.

I'm gonna go back on what I told the other guy to do. If you think saying "us filthy Americans" comes off as an objective statement with no bias then there's no hope for you.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Are you sure even casuals are that apathetic lol? I imagine that even people who don't go to Smashboards care somewhat about what characters get in.
Dragon Quest is a name, it looks like Dragon Ball Z, most people will just need to know it's a classic retro hero and people will enjoy it for a cool moveset and start probably drawing Fire Emblem or retro crossover art.

People are excited for characters. Even apathy can be cured if there's anything to latch onto, and a brightly-colored Dragonball-looking character with magic is enough to be cool. People like Max who didn't care about Incineroar, for example, were taken aback by his moveset. Most people don't take this as seriously as we do, especially if Joker is already revealed who is seen as a must-have by a lot of folks. And a lot of people are just roster completionists.

D

Deleted member

>the same person acts a certain despite multiple people explaining to them why they're wrong
Is this a rerun?
Seriously though lets not have a repeat of last night

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Casuals will see Erdrick as "character that isn't Waluigi #7" and "don't we have enough fire emblem characters?"

Casual fans opinions generally aren't something to be worried about.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks a retro or smaller name won't just be accepted doesn't remember Ice Climbers to the casuals in the Melee days. They were given a "Who are these guys?" sidebar in most gaming magazines who covered the Melee reveal trailer covering the NES game Ice Climber and everyone was like "Okay cool" and moved on.

I don't think being in DLC will change that, especially when it's so easy to find info about Erdrick and DQ3 and even play most DQ games on mobile. I was actually looking at DQ3 and 8 on my phone because of the news and the reviews are all pretty positive for both.

Also, as loathe as I am to admit it, but the Waluigi comments will definitely be in full force no matter who is revealed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Look, I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks a retro or smaller name won't just be accepted doesn't remember Ice Climbers to the casuals in the Melee days. They were given a "Who are these guys?" sidebar in most gaming magazines who covered the Melee reveal trailer covering the NES game Ice Climber and everyone was like "Okay cool" and moved on.

I don't think being in DLC will change that, especially when it's so easy to find info about Erdrick and DQ3 and even play most DQ games on mobile. I was actually looking at DQ3 and 8 on my phone because of the news and the reviews are all pretty positive for both.

Also, as loathe as I am to admit it, but the Waluigi comments will definitely be in full force no matter who is revealed.
As a kid first playing Brawl, seeing characters like the Ice Climbers, Pit, and others wasn't "who are these guys?" but "woah they're so cool!"
I imagine I'm not the only one who was like this, for casuals I think it's less about who it is but just the cool factor of the character.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Dragon Quest is a name, it looks like Dragon Ball Z, most people will just need to know it's a classic retro hero and people will enjoy it for a cool moveset and start probably drawing Fire Emblem or retro crossover art.

People are excited for characters. Even apathy can be cured if there's anything to latch onto, and a brightly-colored Dragonball-looking character with magic is enough to be cool. People like Max who didn't care about Incineroar, for example, were taken aback by his moveset. Most people don't take this as seriously as we do, especially if Joker is already revealed who is seen as a must-have by a lot of folks. And a lot of people are just roster completionists.
It's a bit sad that people think that way; but that does make sense to me. I'll admit things like PP won me over eventually; but I feel like casuals would take anything sometimes lol. They ARE the ones who want Goku and Batman and **** though.

Top Bottom