• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I know he has his spin-offs on Nintendo but the mainline has always been Sony. And while yes the Persona series is the same way there are two big things that are different, the rumored P5 port to Switch and the SMT having a huge history with Nintendo even doing a crossover with Fire Emblem.

I just don't see him getting in over other options that would better benefit Nintendo.
Chain of Memories and Dream Drop Distance are mainline

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nah, they're both pretty much mandatory. They're def mainline
Yeah it's to the point that CoM sets up, yknow, the entire story of Kingdom Hearts 2 and received an HD remake before HD remakes were a standard thing just to get more people to play it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Interesting. Did they ever post those videos like they claimed?
Not that I know of. But even then

Joker
Square rep
Steve or Banjo
Sylux
Fire Emblem Three House rep (hopefully Edelgard if that's the cause because we don't need another blue-haired sword-user)
It's a good balance between the third party and first party (and I'm a firm believer that no matter what, we are at least getting one first party. I would be shocked if all was the third party in the end)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Nah, they're both pretty much mandatory. They're def mainline
I disagree on CoM being mandatory considering they pretty much summarize it for you at the start of 2. Not to mention the vastly different gameplay definitely pushes it into spin-off territory.

I actually barely played DDD but didn't it also have different mechanics than the numbered games? I wouldn't be surprised if they summarize it at the start of 3 in the same way.

Yeah it's to the point that CoM sets up, yknow, the entire story of Kingdom Hearts 2 and received an HD remake before HD remakes were a standard thing just to get more people to play it.
I would argue that is a result of them putting important story elements in an off-console spin-off game more then for the games own merit.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
To all of you who say "If you don't like the DLC don't buy it!"

Y'all realize that competitive players don't have the luxury of saying that.

If the DLC is a top tier and they want to win tourneys, they absolutely need to use the best tools in the shed. Like what happened with Bayo and Cloud.

Even if they don't, if the DLC becomes a huge part in the meta, they have to get it for better matchup knowledge.

People who have to set up Tournaments will be forced to get the DLC.

beans

Smash Lord
I disagree on CoM being mandatory considering they pretty much summarize it for you at the start of 2. Not to mention the vastly different gameplay definitely pushes it into spin-off territory.

I actually barely played DDD but didn't it also have different mechanics than the numbered games? I wouldn't be surprised if they summarize it at the start of 3 in the same way.
Spin-off can be canon without being mainline games. Why do people cant understand that?
They dont really need to summarize it. KH is a series that expects you to have played the previous titles to have a lick of chance of understanding why X sounds like Chi.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet

If the DLC is a top tier and they want to win tourneys, they absolutely need to use the best tools in the shed. Like what happened with Bayo and Cloud.

Even if they don't, if the DLC becomes a huge part in the meta, they have to get it for better matchup knowledge.

Are you sure you're in the right thread? This is a DLC character support thread.

:/

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can't escape Sylux and Three Houses and Gen 8 Pokemon even in completely unrelated threads and I want to be Not Alive oh my god get an original thought guys I promise it's not hard

On an unrelated note I doubt the text string for Chrono means anything. Like, I wish it did, but it's not like "Chrono" isn't a common prefix that could be used for all kinds of things. I also feel like it'd have been made a bigger deal during the datamine days if it meant anything and this is the first I'm hearing about it so...suspicious.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Spin-off can be canon without being mainline games. Why do people cant understand that?
They dont really need to summarize it. KH is a series that expects you to have played the previous titles to have a lick of chance of understanding why X sounds like Chi.
I disagree there as well, though I think KH3 will be a determining factor because of how many more spin-offs there are between 2-3. When I played KH2 I had started CoM but never finished it (curse you impossible Riku fight!) so I had no idea why Sora was in a pod at the beginning of the game. But between the summary and the dialog I was able to get the gist of what had happened. If they expected me to have played CoM they wouldn't have made such an effort to bring players up to speed at the start of the game.

EDIT: I disagree with the second part lol since you're agreeing with me in the first part of your post.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
I can't escape Sylux and Three Houses and Gen 8 Pokemon even in completely unrelated threads and I want to be Not Alive oh my god get an original thought guys I promise it's not hard

On an unrelated note I doubt the text string for Chrono means anything. Like, I wish it did, but it's not like "Chrono" isn't a common prefix that could be used for all kinds of things. I also feel like it'd have been made a bigger deal during the datamine days if it meant anything and this is the first I'm hearing about it so...suspicious.
HA, no matter where you go, the future refuses to change
Promotional picks. They happen. We cant really do much about it.

I disagree there as well, though I think KH3 will be a determining factor because of how many more spin-offs there are between 2-3. When I played KH2 I had started CoM but never finished it (curse you impossible Riku fight!) so I had no idea why Sora was in a pod at the beginning of the game. But between the summary and the dialog I was able to get the gist of what had happened. If they expected me to have played CoM they wouldn't have made such an effort to bring players up to speed at the start of the game.
Chain of Memories introduces the rest of the organization, Namine and
Replica Riku, wich I'm pretty sure appears in KH3 trailers
Birth by Sleep introduces Aqua, a confimed major character in KH3, Terra, another confirmed major character in KH3, and Ventus, guess what he is. (also, a detail I forgot to mention, it also introduces Goatee Orochimaru)
DDD introduces the biggest elephants in the room, on how bald Orochimaru is alive and why there is still an JRPG Akatsuki.

While some games introduces details so minor that can be overlooked (358/who i'm gonna icecream with, Re:filler, the DS titles), and some details are still explained in-games, its impossible to have the full picture without atleast checking some of them titles.
Heck the most we've seen the trio from BBS outside their own game was in 2.8.
Dont expect much from the "in the last episode" moments in KH3

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet

Sorry to ruffle your feathers..... #donthatethemessenger

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

My gut has been that we are more than likely getting an FE TH rep from the start even when the base roster all announced, So this isn't a "new unoriginal thought" from my part, but I get what you're saying. My apologies.

beans

Smash Lord
The first party will be Porky. Try and change my mind.
Porky is a shut-in who wont get out of capsule.
Also without any recent release (wich was pretty much Lucas pass) he's stuck in the irrelevant limbo, without any community to bring him out like K.Rool.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Porky Minch will spank you all.

-anyway Erdrick could still be leak bait, even if the leak is 99% true; if Erdrick is true, however, good luck to that guy and his sources :p

-also I wouldn't say Mother is stuck in the irrelevant limbo since it's not dead, but complete, and Mother get's a lot of love in Smash.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Well this is interesting news!

...Wait...Your guy/source is from Nintendo...Unless you got news from someone else...Does this mean what I think/hopes it means?! :D

Also, for what its worth, The narcissist in me wants no Square Rep. Would love any Square Character, but the real surprise would be none.
And given how Joker has shown that insiders can be devilishly misled, that is perfectly possible.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
The first party will be Porky. Try and change my mind.
On the one hand you have a 12 year old game that wasn't released outside of Japan and achieved moderate success there. The character in question never leaves his big robot thingy (as I understand it) and
isn't even the main villain? (I've seen this marked as a spoiler so I'm marking it here too, don't know much about the Mother series)

On the other hand you have probably one of the top most successful recent series with a game coming out for Switch that could be promoted. The character in question would be a female (high appeal) who would use an axe (high want for Smash). If not her then you get a character who will be promoting the return of a much beloved series and has been set up for several games to be a major player.

Yep seems like a tough call.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Yes.

But that's true for all DLC.

All fighting game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
On the one hand you have a 12 year old game that wasn't released outside of Japan and achieved moderate success there. The character in question never leaves his big robot thingy (as I understand it) and
isn't even the main villain? (I've seen this marked as a spoiler so I'm marking it here too, don't know much about the Mother series)
Porky is sorta second to the main villain in Mother 2, and is the main villain who caused all the crap to happen in Mother 3 (though you don't see him until Chapter 8, but his name is alluded to earlier in the game).

Porky in his mech would be around Bowser or Ridley's size, maybe only needing to be scaled down a tiny bit, as his mech was actually scaled up in Brawl. Mother is also a "complete" series, Shigesato Itoi (the series's creator) considering it as such, and it get's a lot of love in Smash, so I wouldn't really call it "irrelevant."

Maybe when Mother 3 actually gets localized so that he'll have wider world wide appeal and selling factors.
They could go with his EarthBound incarnation; that may actually be better for Smash, though I'd like either one.

Vergeben actually once said that Nintendo has a localized version of Mother 3 but that, unfortunately, they were withholding it for some reason (I think he mentioned that he heard it was something to do with not knowing what month to release it in, sounds weird but idk).

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Porky is sorta second to the main villain in Mother 2, and is the main villain who caused all the crap to happen in Mother 3 (though you don't see him until Chapter 8, but his name is alluded to earlier in the game).

Porky in his mech would be around Bowser or Ridley's size, maybe only needing to be scaled down a tiny bit, as his mech was actually scaled up in Brawl. Mother is also a "complete" series, Shigesato Itoi (the series's creator) considering it as such, and it get's a lot of love in Smash, so I wouldn't really call it "irrelevant."
Oh I didn't mean for that to imply the series is irrelevant, just comparatively less so than FE whos last few games have sold over a million copies each and with FEH breaking records for the mobile market, or Metroid whos Prime trilogy coming back is majorly huge news and a long awaited thing for fans of the series.

Like the other user said, short of some massive success with an eventual western release I just don't see the Mother series getting any more representation, least of all in the form of DLC which has to be able to sell on its own merit.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Oh I didn't mean for that to imply the series is irrelevant, just comparatively less so than FE whos last few games have sold over a million copies each and with FEH breaking records for the mobile market, or Metroid whos Prime trilogy coming back is majorly huge news and a long awaited thing for fans of the series.
This is why I would argue that if there is any first-party DLC it will be like Sylux and a character from FE TH. The only first party wild card I could see (and that is only if spirit de-confirms) is King Boo as a Luigi's Mansion 3 tie-in.

Plus isn't it said that Sakurai wouldn't have chosen Lucas if he knew that Mother 3 wasn't going to be localized over in the west?

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
DLC was stated to included "must haves" and Sylux does not fit the bill at all.
I would argue that Pokemon Gen 8 and Three Houses are even LESS of a must have; since we don't even know these characters yet. At least people have gotten attached to Sylux

D

Deleted member

Of course a marketing guy is gonna call them "must haves". They're not giving hints, they're trying to sell you the fighter pass.

D

Deleted member

Hey, been watching different forums for a while and decided to post some information.
Erdrick is in.
Sora is in.
Erdrick is both male and female like Pokémon Trainer and Corrin. Has colors referencing other DQ characters.
Sora has both KH2 and 3 appearance. Keychain is the smash logo. Completely credited under Disney.
I know nothing of stages, music or movesets.
Future reveals will validate this post.

Another reason is that the Smash Ballot is only 3 years old and that data definitely has legs. The big character picks really don't change a whole lot from game to game and people tend to stick with characters until they are confirmed. Case in point, Geno. There's a decent amount of evidence that the data collected from the 2000 poll was used through Brawl and the 2006 Brawl poll was used through Smash 4.
Not exactly, tastes change a lot. K. Rool support got really big during Sm4sh but he wasnt as popular as many of the top choices during Brawl, Krystal was big during Brawl but lost a lot of support afterwards. Rex is very popular at the moment, and Springman was a popular character during various polls this year. Characters like Ridley or Geno may be very well the exception than the rule. Also a lot of the biggest picks like Bayo, the veterans, the Inklings, K. Rool, and Ridley got in already as playable characters and many other characters got in as AT. It's hard to say if they'll continue using it but a lot of the entries are in the game in some form so it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't.
This may have been mentionned in this thread before, but i'm curious what people think of this "leak", it kind of makes sense. The guy accurate called out Joker it seems too.

https://www.elecspo.com/games/super-smash-bros/crono-in-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-leaks-and-rumors
4chan text leak that doesnt deliver the content promised, I wouldn't put much trust in it.
If Dragon Quest truly is in, I would argue that it is because Square wants to push DQ and nothing else no matter how legendary this franchise is. If Nintendo really was up to give Square fans the true fan favorites, it would be the likes of Sephiroth, Geno or Sora. If Nintendo is in the mindset of promotional material = DLC, then Fire Emblem should be a no-brainer for them since it's arguably one of the biggest games they have next year+ pushing the franchise to the point of giving it an expo next year.
DQ is a series that Nintendo likes a lot, they published a lot of the entries and continue to do so. I would think it's mutual the want to include DQ, even Sakurai seems to be a fan of the series. True fan favorite is in the eye of the beholder, and for many people I can guarantee that they would like to see DQ in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Vergeben actually once said that Nintendo has a localized version of Mother 3 but that, unfortunately, they were withholding it for some reason (I think he mentioned that he heard it was something to do with not knowing what month to release it in, sounds weird but idk).
Given Verg's infamously terrible track record on anything that's not the base roster of Smash Bros Ultimate, that has a right rate of being flat out false.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fire Emblem has gotten enough love. It has 7 characters, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies, and even got 10 brand new music remixes in this game. Yes, there is new territory they can explore with axes and lances but if it took them a over a decade to rationalize newcomers for DK and Metroid, I think they can pump the brakes on Fire Emblem.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I know.. and if you read my earlier post, you would know that I think firmly that the first party (if there is one) will be promotional material. I mean, Corrin and Bayonetta ended up being in, and it's said that they found the code from Bayonetta that were included at the same time as Cloud which was pre-ballot. It's also speculated that Zero Suit Samus has shoes that she has because they wanted a model that they could base Bayonetta on, which when you look at ZSS, is fairly likely.

Reggie is a master of PR talk. Of course, he is going to say "must have" when they literally put out someone like Joker in hope to get people to buy the pass. Could it be that everyone ends up being one? Sure... But I would argue that word mean jack **** really.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally if it's true that they're not going for characters who were created past 2014 (or 2016 at the latest), and this is why Rex is just a mii costume, I wouldn't be surprised if Edelgard or a Gen 8 Pokemon aren't part of the Fighters Pass.

King Boo sounds more-likely now.

Give Verg's track record in anything that's not the base roster of Smash Bros Ultimate, that has a right rate of being flat out false.
Fair enough; it does sound plausible, though, given Mother 1's situation (well, except people actually knew about the prototype to be fair).

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
4chan text leak that doesnt deliver the content promised, I wouldn't put much trust in it.
Where does it not deliver the content promised? theres a video of Joker model out there, its not clear what that guy actually has anyway. I agree that it could be possible that the post date was modified, but that seems a bit unlikely that the writer modified it himself, unless he just saw the modified screen cap pass around. (If so thats surprising that ELEC SPO would risk themselves like that,but who knows?)

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem has gotten enough love. It has 7 characters, 3 stages, 3 assist trophies, and even got 10 brand new music remixes in this game. Yes, there is new territory they can explore with axes and lances but if it took them a over a decade to rationalize newcomers for DK and Metroid, I think they can pump the brakes on Fire Emblem.
Nope I know better than to start defending Fire Emblem in the SE thread lol

Personally if it's true that they're not going for characters who were created past 2014 (or 2016 at the latest), and this is why Rex is just a mii costume, I wouldn't be surprised if Edelgard or a Gen 8 Pokemon aren't part of the Fighters Pass.

All we know is that Rex was too late for the base roster, and even then that COULD just be his way of trying to defuse the Xenoblade fans. The assumption here is not that he knows he is going to include exactly what character from a new game, but that that game is coming out and he knows he will use someone from that game.

Plus Sylux has been around since the DS first released.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I agree, even though I main mostly FE characters and FE is my favorite gaming franchise of all time. But that doesn't change the fact that if we are looking at a DLC focusing on promotional material (which I argue Dragon Quest would point towards if Erdick or whoever DQ character there is is the square rep), FE TH, unfortunately, makes sense for that mix.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Fair enough; it does sound plausible, though, given Mother 1's situation (well, except people actually knew about the prototype to be fair).
This veer's off topic but does Luigi's Mansion have enough suitable tracks to fulfill the DLC music requirement? I've never played and I'm only familiar with the main theme lol.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This veer's off topic but does Luigi's Mansion have enough suitable tracks to fulfill the DLC music requirement? I've never played and I'm only familiar with the main theme lol.
There may be some boss-themes that I don't remember the tune to, plus they could just use new tracks from Luigi's Mansion 3 (while they may have decided on characters whom were created earlier, they don't seem hesitant to use them for advertising).

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
And before people say: "But Cloud..."
This time it's Nintendo choosing the characters.
And even back with Cloud, he was guaranteed promotional money anyway, or at least his performance in the ballot gave Nintendo and Sakurai that inkling.

And if the ports of VII and company were negotiated say, back when Cloud first joined Smash 4, it's no surprise it didn't show up on the Wii U which was dying at the time. And we've got ports now anyway.....and Cloud helped Explorers on the 3DS.

Top Bottom