• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yeah, but FE wasn't a popular series before Smash.
Actually it was....just in Japan at the time. So Nintendo themselves actually pushed for FE in Melee to promote it in the west. Not really the same case for Geno. FE is a series of games while Geno is but one character from an old game.
Same with Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch.
Those started off as Sakurai's more wacky picks and they were base game material, not dlc like Geno would be. Also, they're completely owned by Nintendo.
Arguably, tho, if Geno had been wanted since Melee, that would be before Mother 3.
Expect, I stated Earthbound/Mother as a series. Mother 3 is just the current extension of its influence. Also, I know you're not gonna argue that "older = more deserved", considering the debate regarding Erdrick.

Ice Climbers doesn't have consistent support for a new game outside of Smash, very similarly to Geno, actually.
And unlike Geno, they don't and never needed it to begin with to get into Smash.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I agree in that 8 is probably the most well known one in the west, but the way Sakurai seems to roll is to add characters that are classic with ones that are newer. Best scenario would be to have alts for most of the protagonists.

I really don't know much about her honestly other than seeing some videos of her as a boss or something, hope that the offline version of X becomes a reality since I doubt SE will bring the current one.
Honestly I could see them adding alts for all the protagonist except the one from five only because he primarily doesn't use swords (it's quite sad since I want him over erdrick lol)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Actually it was....just in Japan at the time. So Nintendo themselves actually pushed for FE in Melee to promote it in the west. Not really the same case for Geno. FE is a series of games while Geno is but one character from an old game.
Actually, from what I have heard, Marth and Roy were not originally going to be in the versions of Melee outside of Japan. The plan changed when the western play testers took a liking to the characters, so they decided to not make them exclusive.

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if the "leak" is saying that Erdrick just has alt colors resembling Luminary and Anlucia, or that they both actually appear as one of their alts. The wording doesn't seem to specify from what I recall. Perhaps I'm misinformed.

If they're saying that they do actually appear, then I'd imagine that they'd only take up one alt for both male and female Erdrick. Basically, one of male Erdrick's alts would be Luminary, and one of female Erdrick's alts would be Anlucia (I seriously hope I'm spelling that name right).

I don't really like the idea, but I'll take it if it means I can see DQ in Smash. If true, these would be the four that make up Erdrick's alts and stuff:

Thing.JPG

I would seriously hope that they'd give Luminary and Anlucia different victory poses from Erdrick (sort of like they did with the Pokemon Trainers).

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if the "leak" is saying that Erdrick just has alt colors resembling Luminary and Anlucia, or that they both actually appear as one of their alts. The wording doesn't seem to specify from what I recall. Perhaps I'm misinformed.

If they're saying that they do actually appear, then I'd imagine that they'd only take up one alt for both male and female Erdrick. Basically, one of male Erdrick's alts would be Luminary, and one of female Erdrick's alts would be Anlucia (I seriously hope I'm spelling that name right).

I don't really like the idea, but I'll take it if it means I can see DQ in Smash. If true, these would be the four that make up Erdrick's alts and stuff:

View attachment 183767

I would seriously hope that they'd give Luminary and Anlucia different victory poses from Erdrick (sort of like they did with the Pokemon Trainers).
I'm trying to comprehend why these choices specifically would be it

It isn't working

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

View attachment 183767

But the newer character's don't look as if they weild the same sort weapons as Erdrick, or a shield for that matter. Now, I bet they can weild a shield in there game and that this is just them in there most standard form, but that is the problem. Sakurai always defaults to the standard of the character, so it would be weird if he would build the newer characters in a way to match Erdrick.
Edit: Fixed text errors

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It isn't working
I'm pretty sure the leak is saying the colors would be two of the alts, rather than specifically the character models, so that makes some sense. However, I know Nekoo and others have heard that Luminary is a possible Alph-style alt which at the very least isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I recall once reading a rumor that one of the DLC third parties would require more work than any third party ever before, which some took to mean that a DQ "Hero" with several protagonists as alts was a strong possibility. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

View attachment 183767

The leak specifically says that Luminary and Anlucia have two colors each. This would make each variant have 2 separate colors.

It isn't working
Luminary and Anlucia are both representative of DQ's current projects. Erdrick, as a character, is the basic template for nearly every DQ hero after him/her outside of a few (like Madason from DQV) This includes Luminary and, technically, Anlucia even though she isn't playable in DQX itself.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace

It isn't working
Well, I was in the middle of writing a reply, but perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 sort of beat me to the punch. I write too slow, lol.

On the topic of Anlucia, she appears in this cute Itadaki Street trailer, so I'll just take the opportunity to post it. It's so cool seeing DQ and FF together.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well, I was in the middle of writing a reply, but perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 sort of beat me to the punch. I write too slow, lol.

On the topic of Anlucia, she appears in this cute Itadaki Street trailer, so I'll just take the opportunity to post it. It's so cool seeing DQ and FF together.

Honestly they should make a fighting game where dragon quest and final fantasy characters fight that be really cool

D

Deleted member

This is just making me wish for an English release. I only ever played one full game of Fortune Street on the Wii but it was a ton of fun. And it has Golbez.
Honestly they should make a fighting game where dragon quest and final fantasy characters fight that be really cool
SE should hire you.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
This is just making me wish for an English release. I only ever played one full game of Fortune Street on the Wii but it was a ton of fun. And it has Golbez.

SE should hire you.
With how much I love there games lol I'd probably advertise games better then they would lmao also tell them to not make FF 7 episodic

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hmmm, Knowing that a Persona 5 actually is coming to Switch is great to hear for me. I've always had some interest in checking out the series, but due to not owning a PS3, PS4, Vita, or not feeling like breaking out my Old PS2, never really been feasible...

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Hmmm, Knowing that a Persona 5 actually is coming to Switch is great to hear for me. I've always had some interest in checking out the series, but due to not owning a PS3, PS4, Vita, or not feeling like breaking out my Old PS2, never really been feasible...
It's a great series and I'd recommend it hell I'd recommend checking out the soundtracks because there amazing too although if you have a 3ds you can play persona q although it's more an etrain odyssey game then it is persona

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
To me, Eight makes way more sense than Erdrick, he has Western appeal and Eastern appeal, he even shows up as a costume in DQXI.
Could have a gimmick with tension and monster fighting.
Yeah i agree, also it would represent the Dragon Quest series as a whole. In comparison, Final Fantasy only got Cloud, so it only represents Final Fantasy VII and wouldnt make sense to have other FF protags as alt skins.

hinode

Smash Cadet
Honestly the ones that would make sense would be the hero from dragon quest 1/2 since there both erdrick descendents
DQ2's main character can not use magic of any sort, he would absolutely not work as any sort of alt costume for Erdrick.

DQ1's protagonist does have healing and fire magic (it was a solo RPG, after all), but no lightning at all. DQ3 started the series tradition where lightning is the element of choice for the main character and/or hero class. If Erdrick is indeed in the game, I can guarantee you that he will have lightning-based special moves.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is how I see it:

Heroes from 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 11 can work as alts.
Even Madason (aka, #5). I know he wields a staff in the boxart, and the overworld map. But there are two ways they could go about it.
1) Have his staff tied to his back while he uses a sword.
2) Pull the Ashley/Lip Mii costume Card, and use the staff like a sword.

-

For Luninary, I could see him have the following alts:
1) Default purple
2) Initial garb (looks like Link's default color)
3) Eight's clothes, as in the DLC for DQXI.
4) Some advanced armor from XI.

-
As for ability fidelity, let's not forget Ness can use Paula's PSI.
-

I'd be excited for any DQ character. So if it isn't Erdrick, but it's some other protagonist, I'd be ok.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd just be strange to not have 8 if they're gonna have different hero alts, because even square enix knows thats the most popular western one with the clothes in 11, and if you're gonna go with a mainly japanese focused character, might as well go and please the western fanbase too that DQ does have at the same time. Plus they just love 8 in general with using its characters often for spin offs.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Summoning characters for a move, showing off alts, and showing off a stage sounds an awful lot like a trailer to me. Either way, they know the specifics of the Atlus character as well as the Squenix character. Two secrets so tightly kept we still haven't able to figure out who one of them is. And it's been MONTHS.

They also would have to know the specifics of that accurate narrative, which makes no sense to me-you're telling me this guy's so important and has so many sources he knows 2 of the DLC characters, when we barely have an inkling of who ANY of them are, and ALSO knows the company philosophy on holding up P5A, and also knows when P5R is coming...and is just casually posting 2Ch leaks.

If I'm not mistaken the insider info that isn't publicly known is that P5R is some sort of remaster and P5A is apparently delayed? P5A being delayed isn't even confirmed, for one thing; and seeing as we've had a year and a half to speculate on what P5R is it doesn't seem too unlikely to me that someone figured out it was a remaster as it seemed a lot of people were anticipating.

I'm sure Erdrick is in but none of this is lining up for me.

(You know this but obviously no disrespect intended TPC; you know I can just talk a lot about stupid things lol. Thanks for the response.)
Jumping to assumptions isn't like you.

To start, I would call the details vague, or at least base planning. If they gave details like the Reddit leak did for Incineroar and Piranha Plant's moveset and the Fly Swatter AT I would agree with you. But stages, costumes, and Slime and Jack Frost appearing sounds like things they'd write down on paper and then go and program.

While I'm not saying this makes it more credible, 2chan is a Japanese website, and it's more likely that someone working on a Japanese game would leak there compared to 4chan considering that most of the work is now being done there.

P5A will never be officially delayed because it's hasn't even been announced yet. The delay is only known behind the scenes, and Polar's source corroborated that information. P5R is more known due to Mystic, but even then it's confined to corners of the internet where it's difficult to find.

It's not the strongest "leak," I've seen, but it's one of the more convincing ones I've seen. It's worth at least keeping an eye on.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
DQ2's main character can not use magic of any sort, he would absolutely not work as any sort of alt costume for Erdrick.

DQ1's protagonist does have healing and fire magic (it was a solo RPG, after all), but no lightning at all. DQ3 started the series tradition where lightning is the element of choice for the main character and/or hero class. If Erdrick is indeed in the game, I can guarantee you that he will have lightning-based special moves.
Well the thing is my knowledge of dragon quest goes from 4 down so I didn't know that but thanks for telling me just shows that I gotta go back and play the old trilogy but I'm a big fan of 4,5,6 that'll probably be hard

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I feel like this leak is giving us too much information. A lot of leaks don't know much besides a character and maybe a stage. It doesn't help that all these leak's with Edrick kind of blend together in my head though, so maybe I'm mixing up legit leaks with faker leaks.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

View attachment 183767

>That girl on the right

That's secondary material right there. Maybe even co or tri-main.

>Sephiroth walks out of a bank and throws a fat stack of cash to the wind as if he doesn't care.

Never change Sephiroth.

It isn't working
Dragon Quest X and XI are the two most recent editions to the series, and both performed well. It'd be a way to draw in people who don't necessarily know about Erdrick.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
>That girl on the right

That's secondary material right there. Maybe even co or tri-main.

>Sephiroth walks out of a bank and throws a fat stack of cash to the wind as if he doesn't care.

Never change Sephiroth.
in that artwork Erdick looks like goku/chichi

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
in that artwork Erdick looks like goku/chichi
She always reminded me of Videl more. (In fact Male and female Erdrick look to me like Gohan and Videl cosplaying... I love it).

I love Eight's design. I would love to have an alt that is his. I think my least favorite design is DQ7's MC. But that game as a whole has pretty alternative aesthetics.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Also 8 is literally the closest to Goku in smash if he had tension, though sadly that reference wasn't in the 3DS version.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
She always reminded me of Videl more. (In fact Male and female Erdrick look to me like Gohan and Videl cosplaying... I love it).

I love Eight's design. I would love to have an alt that is his. I think my least favorite design is DQ7's MC. But that game as a whole has pretty alternative aesthetics.
now that you mention it i see gohan now and i can kinda see vedel honestly eight is the only dragon quest character that doesn't remind me of any dbz character

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
On the topic of people calling Nintendo or Square Enix and demanding that their character be in, Sakurai said this at the start of DLC speculation:

Essentially:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading @ChronoBound (or Snakey technically)’s write up on what Melee speculation was like, and he said that when the roster was leaked people thought it was so bad that there’s no way it could be real, with people challenging others to come up with a worse roster than the leak. When it was proven true, of course anger rised.
Can I please have a link to his write up? It sounds pretty interesting.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just remembered that Dragon Quest 3 has been consistently in the top 5 downloads for 3DS since it's release on the VC, according to Famitsu. (And 1 and 2 near the end of the top 10 Lost, consistently as well).

I wish we could have gotten either one of those. Instead of that bland looking Wars game.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
So P5R is confirmed at this point? Great, gives me an excuse to waste 60 bucks to play my favorite game again lol

I’m really interested if leakers have any word on PQ2’s Localization though.

D

Deleted member

I think the most obvious outcome when flooding with requests is just that they are just going to eventually ignore them. I can imagine that is one of the reasons why they are not doing a ballot this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I just remembered that Dragon Quest 3 has been consistently in the top 5 downloads for 3DS since it's release on the VC, according to Famitsu. (And 1 and 2 near the end of the top 10 Lost, consistently as well).

I wish we could have gotten either one of those. Instead of that bland looking Wars game.
i wish they'd remake them i'd love to go back to where the series started but there is no easy way to do it and i don't wanna play on my phone

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Why is this cute crossover not more mainstream!? Seriously, it's the first time I'm hearing about this! Is it even available overseas??

TriggerX

Smash Ace
So P5R is confirmed at this point? Great, gives me an excuse to waste 60 bucks to play my favorite game again lol

I’m really interested if leakers have any word on PQ2’s Localization though.
Not quite sure, but I have a feeling all the dlc in this game will be used to promote something coming out for a nintendo system. So I wouldnt be surprised if P5R is coming. If this is the case, I could see why Sakurai mentioned that all DLC would be decided by Nintendo.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not quite sure, but I have a feeling all the dlc in this game will be used to promote something coming out for a nintendo system. So I wouldnt be surprised if P5R is coming. If this is the case, I could see why Sakurai mentioned that all DLC would be decided by Nintendo.
I wouldn't be surprised, especially given my signature since Sakurai's statement on Twitter. I hope, at the very least, people can look to Joker as a good cross between the criteria of promotional and popular, and recognize that being a promotional pick isn't always a bad thing.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean P5R isn't confirmed but I would be shocked if it didn't come out based on how Atlus has released games in the past. Its basically like saying "I think there will be another Pokemon game after Sun & Moon". They really like to remaster their games and release them on portable gaming devices.

Regardless of a leak or not, people knew it was gonna come eventually.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I wouldn't be surprised, especially given my signature since Sakurai's statement on Twitter. I hope, at the very least, people can look to Joker as a good cross between the criteria of promotional and popular, and recognize that being a promotional pick isn't always a bad thing.
I mean, I wouldn't hate Persona 5 coming to Switch at all, but I'd rather not have that be the main reason why Joker is here to begin with. That is one thing I don't like about some Smash communities, that whenever they see a character whose newest game isn't on Nintendo, they get pissy because of that or start to relentlessly ask for releases. They don't bother appreciating the characters for what they are.
Plus, I'd honestly prefer if the remaining four characters lived to be "surprises" or "must-buys" as some people on Nintendo have said, regardless on whether they have (or will have) a game on Switch. It's not like the last time they made an promotional character had a nice reception anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom