• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Dunno, hes kinda like Hitagi from what I've seen.
Associated with Verge. He also said Chun-Li was meant to be in instead of Ken, but it contradicts with a statement by Sakurai, so I dont put much stock into him.
What statement are you referring to?
Ivalice is the best. because of the bunny girls
Correct.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Probably lol. But Persona 5 also has Mementos (which that leak claims is the stage) and The Velvet Room (a stage I think is more likely and hope it actually is) for options to differentiate it from the Shibuya in TWEWY.
Not necessarily. They could easily just take any other place from Persona 5 to make stage out. Plus, it's not like characters have any sort of special interactions for being in a specific stage.
I meant awkward less in a gameplay sense and more in a...
Sakurai: "This is the new stage, Shabuya!"
Viewers: "Wait, from Persona 5, TWEWY, or real life?"
Sakurai: "...Yes."

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
He's basically a Jack of all Trades. Got rapid-fire punches, shockwaves, pyrokinesis, psychokinesis, summon lightining, Ken's shoryuken, Vergil's swords from UMvC3, and all sorts of wacky stuff.
Do you have a video on hand that would show me what his moves would look like? :4falcon:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. Didn't Final Remix bite them back for the blatant sequel bait? I'm kind of afraid the game's potential to be a series is done for.
Actually he's been hinting at a sequel since the iOS release. Doesnt Final Remix have additional content as well? I think it has good potential for a series, if enough people bought it. I'm just not sure tho, since they're essentially releasing the same game for the 3rd time and trying to make me pay a grip of money for it lol.
Haha thanks! P3 is one of my favorite games ever and I'm also hoping for a remake, especially if it includes FeMC.

I've heard Dragon Quest 11 is actually really good, but I'm just waiting for the Switch version to come out because I personally find it easier to finish handheld games than console games. Console games are way too much of a commitment for me nowadays, especially with college.
Same on P3. P3 protag is best protag.

I've heard it's really good too I just...I played the demo at AnimeExpo and...open world games are a lot for me, they sometimes give me TOO many options and my indecisiveness kicks in and i end up doing nothing.

I'm actually just starting Persona 3 Portable on my Vita. I hope it's as great an experience as it has been made out to be. I just can't handle RPGs on non-portable consoles it seems haha.
You're in for a treat my friend.

Pins.
He uses pins that have different effects in battle.
Slashing, shooting blasts, rising ice spikes, dropping stuff, teleknesis (it would be his grab)
There are so many pins so moveset isnt an issue.
His basic combos would fosure be the Shockwave Pin. I'd love to see that implemented in full 3D glory. His FS would probably be the team attack. They can also use the KHDDD model for a reference. (Am I...am I starting to want Neku in Smash?? WHO AM I)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer You’re acting kinda entitled. Even if Square Enix is aware of the massive demand for Geno, they don’t really owe us anything. Making Geno DLC might make sense (at least it does to us), but so do other picks and if Nintendo/Sakurai/Square Enix decide some other character is better for the bottom line it’s their right to choose.

But damn Luigi The President Luigi The President stop yelling man, you’re not doing ‘the Geno fans’ any favors either.
Sorry. Yesterday has been one of the worst nights for me this year. Not an excuse, I just wanted to provide a reason as to why I'm so heated.

Though, I'm not a man, lol. But no worries.

Hope you can understand. If not, that's fine too.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Do you have a video on hand that would show me what his moves would look like? :4falcon:
I'll try to find something since TWEWY is quite the long game, and there sadly seems to be no exhibition video on what all pins do. But for now, this image should give a decent idea on what kind of stuff he can do:

beans

Smash Lord
What statement are you referring to?

Correct.
He first came into the scene by releasing a statement saying he is associated with Verge, and proceeded to say some stuff I find doubtfull anyone outside higherups would have.
I dont have it at hand tough.

He's basically a Jack of all Trades. Got rapid-fire punches, shockwaves, pyrokinesis, psychokinesis, summon lightining, Ken's shoryuken, Vergil's swords from UMvC3, and all sorts of wacky stuff.
Neku's thing in smash should be the Trend system
The more you use a brand of pin, the more it becomes trendy, and therefore, it becomes stronger.
It would let people spam tough, so it would be best to let him be able to change trough sets of pins while the trendy ones recharge and starts a cycle of:
Weak start > Stronger by the end of the charge > change sets so the other pins can reload without leaving you unarmed > back to step 1

beans

Smash Lord
Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
The more you use a brand of pin, the more it becomes trendy, and therefore, it becomes stronger.
It would let people spam tough, so it would be best to let him be able to change trough sets of pins while the trendy ones recharge and starts a cycle of:
Weak start > Stronger by the end of the charge > change sets so the other pins can reload without leaving you unarmed > back to step 1
Tbh I think Neku would've been a perfect fit for Smash 4 with custom movesets. Have each of his custom moves represent the various pins similar to how Mega Man or Palutena's custom moves work. It's a shame that he didn't make it into that game because the custom moves would've been a cool touch to Neku's moveset

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
You been uh
You been reading the thread lately?
There are people on Twitter still claiming Geno will get in, not just that this post has such a high Geno count. I know most people are probably realizing claiming he's going to be in is ridiculous, but I had arguments with a couple of people on other platforms lately because they claimed Geno was definitely going to be in because "he's surprising and unexpected". He's not. Also people have been telling me they found Banjo files in Data-mining which... I've looked up multiple times and have seen literally nothing about so if anyone can fill me in on that one, that'd be appreciated haha.

D

Deleted member

Also people have been telling me they found Banjo files in Data-mining which... I've looked up multiple times and have seen literally nothing about so if anyone can fill me in on that one, that'd be appreciated haha.
Spirits for other Rare games, Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps., were found in the game's data but are not used in-game. Nothing Banjo-related specifically was found.

beans

Smash Lord
There are people on Twitter still claiming Geno will get in, not just that this post has such a high Geno count. I know most people are probably realizing claiming he's going to be in is ridiculous, but I had arguments with a couple of people on other platforms lately because they claimed Geno was definitely going to be in because "he's surprising and unexpected". He's not. Also people have been telling me they found Banjo files in Data-mining which... I've looked up multiple times and have seen literally nothing about so if anyone can fill me in on that one, that'd be appreciated haha.
Banjo part: Mostly association. There is code relating to some Rare games in the game, but it goes unused by what I've seen.

Tbh I think Neku would've been a perfect fit for Smash 4 with custom movesets. Have each of his custom moves represent the various pins similar to how Mega Man or Palutena's custom moves work. It's a shame that he didn't make it into that game because the custom moves would've been a cool touch to Neku's moveset
He should, I want to play Smash Run while hearing only TWEWY music without using any other second device.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I give up.
Sorry for being -not-so-serious- but this part broke my heart into a hundred pieces..... like an anime tho
Edit:
I'd be so cool if some artbro could make a drawing of Squidward and Luigi (With a President Suit) about this. In the last part of the comic Luigi crying with determined eyes saying "I gave up".

I personally don't believe on this new leak, mainly because I'm a skeptical person. Good leaks, bad leaks (even with the subjectiviness of the words) I won't take it until I see it.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Honestly, I would've preferred not. While many custom moves were fun (never came around to getting them all), the fact that they were forbidden in online matches and were incredibly hard to unlock hindered them badly. More so with Palutena, whose entire gimmick was based around them. Now she's just a regular-*** character.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Honestly, I would've preferred not. While many custom moves were fun (never came around to getting them all), the fact that they were forbidden in online matches and were incredibly hard to unlock hindered them badly. More so with Palutena, whose entire gimmick was based around them. Now she's just a regular-*** character.
Honestly as one of the five people who actually liked custom moves, I agree that they could've been implemented better. The fact that they were so freaking hard to unlock really hurt them, and I definitely agree that Palutena suffered the most from having her whole gimmick revolve around them. I would've preferred if they just made her custom moves a nice bonus like Mega Man's were instead of having her completely rely on them for her to be viable. That said, I still really like the concept of custom moves and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad about their removal in Ultimate.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
He first came into the scene by releasing a statement saying he is associated with Verge, and proceeded to say some stuff I find doubtfull anyone outside higherups would have.
I dont have it at hand tough.

Cycling kind of like how Shulke cycles through Monaco Arts? I wonder if there would be an icon next to Neku’s picture telling us which pin he’s using.

Not to get all “Geno-defendy” but while Geno is looking a bit unlikely atm, it’s not ridiculous for people to believe he’s going to be in. He definitely would be surprising and unexpected because of the choice to include him at all. Based on your statements, I think you would be one of those surprised if he were included.

Also, you’re probably in the wrong thread if you’re looking for Banjo evidence. The files you’re thinking of probably allude to Rare Ware IP but not Banjo specifically.

beans

Smash Lord
Cycling kind of like how Shulke cycles through Monaco Arts? I wonder if there would be an icon next to Neku’s picture telling us which pin he’s using.

Not to get all “Geno-defendy” but while Geno is looking a bit unlikely atm, it’s not ridiculous for people to believe he’s going to be in. He definitely would be surprising and unexpected because of the choice to include him at all. Based on your statements, I think you would be one of those surprised if he were included.

Also, you’re probably in the wrong thread if you’re looking for Banjo evidence. The files you’re thinking of probably allude to Rare Ware IP but not Banjo specifically.
Some sort of it. I think a logo of the brand he's using near his icon would suffice.
He would be cooler Robin.

If we're talking about Geno, the chance rests on Sakurai's involvement and purely on that.
SE has it own way of working and NoJ wouldnt see any reason to get Geno outside of Sakurai.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Dunno, hes kinda like Hitagi from what I've seen.
Associated with Verge. He also said Chun-Li was meant to be in instead of Ken, but it contradicts with a statement by Sakurai, so I dont put much stock into him.

Ivalice is the best. because of the bunny girls
I'm assuming you're talking about Sakurai's quote where he says that nobody was cut once development had started?

Chun-Li never made it to the development phase. She was just a scrapped idea/concept.

beans

Smash Lord
Alright, things have changed slightly...

...P5R is 99.999% real. I'll be damned if that .0001 is the reality. Things just got spicy on my end.
Oh man I hope that R means Ruby because I like the precious stone line of remakes with Golden

I'm assuming you're talking about Sakurai's quote where he says that nobody was cut once development had started?

Chun-Li never made it to the development phase. She was just a scrapped idea/concept.
It still sounds like info that wouldnt get out without any involvement from higher ups.
But it looks like its just a Gematsu case if its like that

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh man I hope that R means Ruby because I like the precious stone line of remakes with Golden

It still sounds like info that wouldnt get out without any involvement from higher ups.
Gematsu case is very different as Chrom and Chorus Kids DID make it to the development phase.

I still can't really buy the statement that Chun was cut simply because any leaker knowing that doesn't line up to me.

Last edited:

xenother

Smash Apprentice

You'd be surprised how much info that seems like "it wouldn't get out" actually gets out.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Gematsu case is very different as Chrom and Chorus Kids DID make it to the development phase.
Chrom seems to be a situation where Sakurai thought of Chrom, but couldn't think of a way to make him distinct from Marth and Ike, and dropped him. It doesn't make sense for Chrom to be worked on then dropped after some sudden realization that he couldn't standout from Marth and Ike, and development switched to Robin. He was likely dropped during concept like what apparently happened to Chun-Li.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Chrom seems to be a situation where Sakurai thought of Chrom, but couldn't think of a way to make him distinct from Marth and Ike, and dropped him. It doesn't make sense for Chrom to be worked on then dropped after some sudden realization that he couldn't standout from Marth and Ike, and development switched to Robin. He was likely dropped during concept like what apparently happened to Chun-Li.
Seems fairly obvious he advanced past initial brainstorming though. Like, to the point where he was likely on the final project plan.

beans

Smash Lord
Doubt that.
There was a model for him to be used in Robin's Final Smash.

D

Deleted member

So uhhh, to try and get distract from this drama, anyone play any good Square-Enix games recently? I've actually been on a bit of a Square kick myself lately, since I've been replaying Kingdom Hearts and I recently started Final Fantasy IX. NieR Automata's another one I've been trying to complete after putting it off for so long.
Octopath is good but I'm taking a break from it. Didn't liked Automata too much as I felt that the game would have worked better if the RPG elements such as leveling were dropped, also I didn't find myself too invested in the story. Still on my play through of DQVII since that game is insanely long.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

...P5R is 99.999% real. I'll be damned if that .0001 is the reality. Things just got spicy on my end.
Well this is interesting news!

...Wait...Your guy/source is from Nintendo...Unless you got news from someone else...Does this mean what I think/hopes it means?! :D

Also, for what its worth, The narcissist in me wants no Square Rep. Would love any Square Character, but the real surprise would be none.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think reception for Erdrick is basically going to come down to two sayings, at least in terms of casual player reaction:
1. The people that will respond "Literally who?"
2. The memey people that say "Goku got in Smash guys!"

I think reception will be mixed at first, but eventually most people will quickly warm up to him through other means:
1. Passionate Western fans explaining the significance of DQ in Smash.
2. The likely booming positive reaction that will happen with Japanese fans.
I think those two factors will make Westerners look at Erdrick in a different, but positive light in a matter of days.

The scenario that reception for Erdrick would become as toxic as Corrin's is an unlikely one IMO.

Knowing that a Persona 5 port is likely coming makes me happy. Personally though, I wish they revealed a port sooner.

I was hoping for a P5 Switch port reveal more than a Smash reveal when the Game Awards trailer came.

D

Deleted member

JFG and Blast Corps titles were found under variables with their Japanese name, while its obvious that we know that they forgot to take them out (along with Devil's Third), we lack any other info regarding them and its just speculation.
Are they indication that we have Rare spirits incoming?
Are they indication of a deal that fell off?
Are they just an oversight considering that they seem to be two of the Rare Japanese trademarks that Nintendo owns and that were added accidentally and didn't care to remove them?
Until something is revealed or the DLC season ends we don't have anything to go.

D

Deleted member

I think reception for Erdrick is basically going to come down to two sayings, at least in terms of casual player reaction:
1. The people that will respond "Literally who?"
2. The memey people that say "Goku got in Smash guys!"

I think reception will be mixed at first, but eventually most people will quickly warm up to him through other means:
1. Passionate Western fans explaining the significance of DQ in Smash.
2. The likely booming positive reaction that will happen with Japanese fans.
I think those two factors will make Westerners look at Erdrick in a different, but positive light in a matter of days.

The scenario that reception for Erdrick would become as toxic as Corrin's is an unlikely one IMO.

Knowing that a Persona 5 port is likely coming makes me happy. Personally though, I wish they revealed a port sooner.

I was hoping for a P5 Switch port reveal more than a Smash reveal when the Game Awards trailer came.
This makes sense. If a DQ rep gets in there will be plenty of "Beginners Guide to Dragon Quest" threads floating around on Twitter, probably.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This makes sense. If a DQ rep gets in there will be plenty of "Beginners Guide to Dragon Quest" threads floating around on Twitter, probably.
And if the DQXIS Switch port gets announced at the same time, Western interest in the franchise will probably increase tenfold, depending on how it is marketed of course. I have no doubt Sakurai can sell Erdrick, but for Square themselves, I am not sure.

Hopefully, interest in the DQ franchise comes to a positive light instead of a "I understand it's popular in Japan, but I have no interest" reaction, if the Erdrick reveal happens. Smash is probably the most obvious opportunity to shake the gaming community's reaction to DQ into a positive one for the long term.

D

Deleted member

And if the DQXIS Switch port gets announced at the same time, Western interest in the franchise will probably increase tenfold, depending on how it is marketed of course. I have no doubt Sakurai can sell Erdrick, but for Square themselves, I am not sure.

Hopefully, interest in the DQ franchise comes to a positive light instead of a "I understand it's popular in Japan, but I have no interest" reaction, if the Erdrick reveal happens. Smash is probably the most obvious opportunity to shake the gaming community's reaction to DQ into a positive one for the long term.
I've seen plenty of people holding out on DQXI for the Switch port, and with Nintendo in charge of marketing this time I'm positive it would go over well.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Yeah DQ's not very good when it comes to marketing, they just don't sell well because Square never puts in the time to advertise DQ like they do with FF.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've seen plenty of people holding out on DQXI for the Switch port, and with Nintendo in charge of marketing this time I'm positive it would go over well.
I'm not gonna lie, this thread has definitely made me at least want to try it. I was looking at Dragon Quest Builders but tbh I already have Minecraft and prefer creative mode to survival so i don't know about it, but an 11 Switch release sounds pretty neat especially since fans of the series seem to really like it. A traditional RPG sounds fun. I grow so tired of those weird MMO-lite battle systems in many modern RPGs.

Octopath is also on my list but I've really been too busy playing exclusively Smash to dive into the demo yet.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah DQ's not very good when it comes to marketing, they just don't sell well because Square never puts in the time to advertise DQ like they do with FF.
Gonna slightly disagree. DQ11 and DQ Warriors got excellent marketing. I especially remember Sentinels of the Starry Sky getting TONS of marketing as well. And iirc Nintendo puts up some for advertising as well

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Well this is interesting news!

...Wait...Your guy/source is from Nintendo...Unless you got news from someone else...Does this mean what I think/hopes it means?! :D

Also, for what its worth, The narcissist in me wants no Square Rep. Would love any Square Character, but the real surprise would be none.
This is not from my source. As I said yesterday, this information is from somebody big in the Megaten/persona/atlus community and has lots of connections. No names will be given.

Well, it's been real since May 2017; don't know why anyone's doubting the P5R part.
Yes, though we didn't know it would be a 2019 game in particular or that it would be a Switch exclusive until now. ;)

Top Bottom