• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Can we all take a step back and relax? I want geno as much as anyone, but there's no reason for us to lose our cool over this video game. Ultimately, corporations are gonna do what they think is best for them, regardless of fan demand. Much as you or I might dislike it, them's the rubs. Best we can hope for is to try and make our voices heard as amicably as possible. Going around and throwing a fit isn't going to do anything but make us look bad.
Isn't that what I'm trying to do? I'm the only one here advocating for our voices to be heard. Everyone else seems content with just sort of.... sitting and taking it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
TBF; I was completely on the Pac Man train but that's not the point lol.
I don't feel like it's TOO unreasonable to want DQ to stay out of Smash until they cease working with the composer, but I dunno.
I think it's a little bit unreasonable just because of the fact that you're choosing to exclude the entire series, a body of work that spans thirty years for that series, because of one complete piece of **** who has been the composer. It's not uncommon to see people say things like separate work and politics and stuff to this day, and is particularly an attitude I've noticed in my life with older generations of my family for example. I don't know the cultural standards of that sort of thing in Japan, but I imagine it's quite different than how we look on things these days. In the States these days, we tend to call for people's heads when they make certain comments. I suspect Japanese standards are quite different, seeing as they have a different cultural lens. You can't expect them to necessarily approach such a situation in the same manner.

I'm not inclined to believe Nintendo or Square Enix want to deal with that sort of negative publicity or even seriously think about it. I don't see anything that would indicate that they would confront that situation, and Square specifically is likely stuck with Sugiyama given his place in the franchise as the main composer who enjoyed a good status. He's also 87 years old, so, it kind of makes sense why they wouldn't deal with it. Why make a big fuss of that scenario when you can just let time take its natural course? I'd say much like Uematsu, he's just too deeply ingrained in the DNA and rights of Dragon Quest to cleanly break from despite issues.

And again, you invalidate the legacy of the game and every other person involved for the political beliefs of one person. Many of those people have seemed perfectly reasonable and nice too at that. You're allowed to have your stand on this, but to demand it of another company that isn't even in your home country I think is somewhat unreasonable. If they didn't drop him when this stuff came out, they clearly intend on doing nothing. I know it's ****ty from our perspective, but he's really just one person. An old, bitter man at that who likely grew up with such propaganda given he actually survived the war. Square will likely not have to deal with him for too much longer.

Sometimes I also just get frustrated at Square cause they could totally be using characters like Geno, Sora and Crono for leakbait. Which means they acknowledge the popularity of the character; but think Dragon Quest is more "profitable" so they are actively ignoring fans. It all comes off incredibly cynical to me if they pick Erdrick.
Square has exactly no reason to give a **** about Geno unless Nintendo offers them something enticing. That's a hard, honest truth about him I think at this point. Maybe they're aware of the support for Smash, or they could be completely unaware seeing as Smash isn't their game and they just make a little extra profit on it. I seriously doubt Square has seen any results of the ballot, and they're not the type of company to exactly give in to fan demand or pay that much attention, we still don't have the Final Fantasy VII remake after all this time. I suspect Crono and Geno might as well be buried for them at this point. So, no issues using them as leak bait. Especially given, again, I suspect the opinions of Smash fans are quite possibly one of their smallest concerns.

It's not cynical to them, it's just business. And we really shouldn't look at it any other way. Besides, Nintendo picked who they wanted to include as far as we know and they've never been turned down. You're turning your frustrations all over the place and towards people without knowing details dude. Calm down for a bit.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Isn't that what I'm trying to do? I'm the only one here advocating for our voices to be heard. Everyone else seems content with just sort of.... sitting and taking it.
The key word here is amicably. Meaning we do so as cordially as possible. Drawing fanart, sending messages, that sort of thing. Calling up their offices, as luigi the president said is just gonna make some poor call center dude's day worse, and won't accomplish anything useful.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think it's a little bit unreasonable just because of the fact that you're choosing to exclude the entire series, a body of work that spans thirty years for that series, because of one complete piece of **** who has been the composer. It's not uncommon to see people say things like separate work and politics and stuff to this day, and is particularly an attitude I've noticed in my life with older generations of my family for example. I don't know the cultural standards of that sort of thing in Japan, but I imagine it's quite different than how we look on things these days. In the States these days, we tend to call for people's heads when they make certain comments. I suspect Japanese standards are quite different, seeing as they have a different cultural lens. You can't expect them to necessarily approach such a situation in the same manner.

I'm not inclined to believe Nintendo or Square Enix want to deal with that sort of negative publicity or even seriously think about it. I don't see anything that would indicate that they would confront that situation, and Square specifically is likely stuck with Sugiyama given his place in the franchise as the main composer who enjoyed a good status. He's also 87 years old, so, it kind of makes sense why they wouldn't deal with it. Why make a big fuss of that scenario when you can just let time take its natural course? I'd say much like Uematsu, he's just too deeply ingrained in the DNA and rights of Dragon Quest to cleanly break from despite issues.

And again, you invalidate the legacy of the game and every other person involved for the political beliefs of one person. Many of those people have seemed perfectly reasonable and nice too at that. You're allowed to have your stand on this, but to demand it of another company that isn't even in your home country I think is somewhat unreasonable. If they didn't drop him when this stuff came out, they clearly intend on doing nothing. I know it's ****ty from our perspective, but he's really just one person. An old, bitter man at that who likely grew up with such propaganda given he actually survived the war. Square will likely not have to deal with him for too much longer.

Square has exactly no reason to give a **** about Geno unless Nintendo offers them something enticing. That's a hard, honest truth about him I think at this point. Maybe they're aware of the support for Smash, or they could be completely unaware seeing as Smash isn't their game and they just make a little extra profit on it. I seriously doubt Square has seen any results of the ballot, and they're not the type of company to exactly give in to fan demand or pay that much attention, we still don't have the Final Fantasy VII remake after all this time. I suspect Crono and Geno might as well be buried for them at this point. So, no issues using them as leak bait. Especially given, again, I suspect the opinions of Smash fans are quite possibly one of their smallest concerns.

It's not cynical to them, it's just business. And we really shouldn't look at it any other way. Besides, Nintendo picked who they wanted to include as far as we know and they've never been turned down. You're turning your frustrations all over the place and towards people without knowing details dude. Calm down for a bit.
I'm just going to bullet list some points I wanna make, in order.
Just because he's old does not excuse his behavior or make him immune to being called out for it.
If Square is not aware of Geno's support; why would they even CONSIDER Geno effective leak bait? Effective leak bait would have to be characters that they know are being clamored for. Other wise; no one would give it the time of day due to everyone's general bias. If leakers heard a character no one talks about being the leak bait like... I don't know, Booster from SMRPG for instance, they'd instantly know somthing was up.
With how what Reggie said personally contradicts what Sakurai has said before; I think they HAVE been turned down on third parties before. Saying that they had would not benefit anyone; so I believe Reggie either lied or omitted some details.
Business does not need to be devoid of heart or passion. Nintendo and Smash Ultimate is a great example. Square is choosing to be this way; and deserve to be called out for it in my opinion.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Just theoretically?

Hmmmm, I dunno. Circumstances regarding them may differ quite a bit from Geno.

The Fire Emblem characters speak for themselves. First and foremost they promote the series that's still running. And hey, they get a lot of love even outside the Smash fanbase, Ike, Marth and Roy particularly. Chrom had quite the following to boot too hence him showing up in other material like Project x Zone 2.

Ice Climbers and Roy garnered their grits and fans by being in a Smash game though. Doctor Mario was already back thanks to Smash 4 anyway. And as for them and Pichu being back, well "Everyone Is Here". However, that point doesn't apply to Wolf who had cred well outside just Smash. See, the thing wwith a lot of those kinds of characterscompared to Geno is that they more consistent support, i.e. more than one game that they starred in that garnered more fans. Or in Ness and Lucas' cases, game series that were still in the public eye (the hunt for officially localized Mother 3 still goes on to this day).
Yeah, but FE wasn't a popular series before Smash. I think that was the point there. Same with Ice Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch. Arguably, tho, if Geno had been wanted since Melee, that would be before Mother 3. Ice Climbers doesn't have consistent support for a new game outside of Smash, very similarly to Geno, actually.

Just because he's old does not excuse his behavior or make him immune to being called out for it.
If Square is not aware of Geno's support; why would they even CONSIDER Geno effective leak bait? Effective leak bait would have to be characters that they know are being clamored for. Other wise; no one would give it the time of day due to everyone's general bias. If leakers heard a character no one talks about being the leak bait like... I don't know, Booster from SMRPG for instance, they'd instantly know somthing was up.
With how what Reggie said personally contradicts what Sakurai has said before; I think they HAVE been turned down on third parties before. Saying that they had would not benefit anyone; so I believe Reggie either lied or omitted some details.
Business does not need to be devoid of heart or passion. Nintendo and Smash Ultimate is a great example. Square is choosing to be this way; and deserve to be called out for it in my opinion.
I understand you want to fight for Geno, but there are much better and more pleasant and effective ways to do it.

Square may be aware of Geno support, but honestly it's only within the context of a Nintendo title, and that does little for them in the long run, unless they intend to strengthen their relationship with Nintendo and share the rights to Geno or make another SMRPG game, etc etc. Geno would be effective leak bait because he's a clamored after character, but if they have no plans to use him, perfect for setting up leakers.

Usually when talking about adding characters it's almost never a case of a character getting turned down, but how difficult it might be to implement or get the rights to a character.

Yes, but you're one person. What are you going to do, other than harass some poor worker about how much you want Geno? Truthfully, you have no idea whats going on over at SE, so "calling them out" will only serve to make the Geno fanbase look toxic and you don't know what decisions or complications led to what. If you want to take acton, there are much better ways.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about speaking up and advocating for your cause is to do so respectfully.

If you want to look at a group who did so, look at the K. Rool Kampaigners. The Kutthroats were reasonable in their approach, yet their voices were very loud and clear. Geno's fanbase is larger than most people give it credit for, as well, so to think that one person is the only one speaking up against Square's handling of Geno is rather short-sighted.

Yes, we should make our voices heard, but for the love of all that is holy, don't bombard workers at any companies with angry phone calls. There's a reason why certain Waluigi fans had so much backlash for what they did, because it was entirely out of line.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Currently catching up with the debate going on in this thread.

Personally, given Sakurai's in-depth knowledge, I am sure Sakurai can create something unique to Erdrick that would make him stand-out from Robin.

There is a load of distinct spells in the Dragon Quest series that would assemble Erdrick's moveset pretty easily. It could be something akin to the likes of Cloud's Limit playstyle.

And oh yeah, on another note, I made my certain stance on who the Square Enix DLC character will be. I won't be sharing my thoughts here, but in the Ultimate speculation thoughts thread that I am currently writing about.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The thing about speaking up and advocating for your cause is to do so respectfully.

If you want to look at a group who did so, look at the K. Rool Kampaigners. The Kutthroats were reasonable in their approach, yet their voices were very loud and clear. Geno's fanbase is larger than most people give it credit for, as well, so to think that one person is the only one speaking up against Square's handling of Geno is rather short-sighted.

Yes, we should make our voices heard, but for the love of all that is holy, don't bombard workers at any companies with angry phone calls. There's a reason why certain Waluigi fans had so much backlash for what they did, because it was entirely out of line.
We've been positive and respective for ten years. That may work with Nintendo; but it clearly doesn't work for the money hungry Square. So tactics clearly need to be changed if they are not playing nice.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
We've been positive and respective for ten years. That may work with Nintendo; but it clearly doesn't work for the money hungry Square. So tactics clearly need to be changed if they are not playing nice.
YOU ARE CHANGING NOBODY'S MINDS
I'M ABOUT TO GO ****ING BONKERS
NEWS FLASH! THE SQUENIX EMPLOYEE YOU'RE BOMBARDING WITH CALLS? DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT GENO! ISN'T GONNA PASS ANYTHING ON ABOUT GENO BECAUSE HE DOESN'T GIVE A ****!

This is unbearable. PLEASE just STOP.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
YOU ARE CHANGING NOBODY'S MINDS
I'M ABOUT TO GO ****ING BONKERS
NEWS FLASH! THE SQUENIX EMPLOYEE YOU'RE BOMBARDING WITH CALLS? DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT GENO! ISN'T GONNA PASS ANYTHING ON ABOUT GENO BECAUSE HE DOESN'T GIVE A ****!

This is unbearable. PLEASE just STOP.
It will get passed on. Just like Waluigi made his way to Reggie and Isaac was rumored to make it's way to Nintendo.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
So does that mean we should STOP being positive and respectful? Because that'll probably hurt Geno's chances more then help them. Did it help Waluigi's case? No, it didnt. At least Isaac got a Mii Costume as compensation. Waluigi got a HAT. Do you want us to only get a hat?

It will get passed on. Just like Waluigi made his way to Reggie and Isaac was rumored to make it's way to Nintendo.
But not only did it make Waluigi fans look super toxic, it didn't really amount to anything. And Waluigi and Isaac are in more games that are more recent than Geno's. And like I said, you're one guy. That isn't going to do much, but make all of us look bad.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ok now I actually give up.

Go ahead. Call some poor worker (for an entirely unrelated company with entirely different policies) who doesn't know who Geno is, scream at them even though they've done nothing wrong, and expect to do anything other then annoy some people who won't care what you have to say in the end.
Go ahead. Hopefully that puts it in perspective for you.

I'm done. And I've been working hard for Geno for months now. Maybe you should try actually caring about what I have to say.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
You can do what you want, Optimistic, but just know that the path you want to go on will put Geno in a very bad light with the Smash fanbase. Don't ruin the good name and respect the awesome Geno community has build for the past 10+ years

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We're talking two different companies here. By the logic of Square being tone deaf and refusing to listen to fans, there's no way that workers getting bombarded with angry phone calls will look good, if the higher ups even get the chance to hear it. It probably wouldn't even be passed on to them.

I understand that you're upset about Geno, but... please stop. This kind of behavior really makes the Geno fanbase as a whole look awful, and it's really embarrassing.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
We're talking two different companies here. By the logic of Square being tone deaf and refusing to listen to fans, there's no way that workers getting bombarded with angry phone calls will look good, if the higher ups even get the chance to hear it. It probably wouldn't even be passed on to them.

I understand that you're upset about Geno, but... please stop. This kind of behavior really makes the Geno fanbase as a whole look awful, and it's really embarrassing.
People who will judge an entire fanbase off of one fan that's had enough of it never would have really supported Geno in the first place, to be honest.

D

Deleted member

I'm 100% convinced that this person is trolling.
Or at least I really hope they are.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I want to apologize that this has become "the WHAT ABOUT GENO" thread yet again, to all of you.

Please know we're not all like this, and I'm too tired to say much else

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
People who will judge an entire fanbase off of one fan that's had enough of it never would have really supported Geno in the first place, to be honest.
Sooo Square Enix might judge the entire fanbase off of your harassment (because that's what that would be) and could potentially never support Geno, despite the chance that they mightve beforehand....

Or that caller will never pass on your complaint because he'll judge the entire fan base of of your actions and will never support Geno

...Do you...do you see where your logic is leading you?

No. I don't know how many times I need to explain that I'm not trolling but I'm not. Can people no longer be passionate about a thing without it being "totes trolling, for realz?"
You can be passionate without harassing someone though. You can be fed up without lashing out ineffectively.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I want to apologize that this has become "the WHAT ABOUT GENO" thread yet again, to all of you.

Same, I'm just... kinda done. I can only imagine other people are just that fed up, too. I sincerely apologize on the behalf of the Geno fanbase, seriously.

(Also, Luigi The President Luigi The President , thanks for staying rational and passionate about Geno, from one fan to another.)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Sooo Square Enix might judge the entire fanbase off of your harassment (because that's what that would be) and could potentially never support Geno, despite the chance that they mightve beforehand....

Or that caller will never pass on your complaint because he'll judge the entire fan base of of your actions and will never support Geno

...Do you...do you see where your logic is leading you?
No? Cause I was talking about your average internet shmoe; not Square Enix. If there's enough support; Square will listen. Money talks.

D

Deleted member

No. I don't know how many times I need to explain that I'm not trolling but I'm not. Can people no longer be passionate about a thing without it being "totes trolling, for realz?"
There is a difference between being passionate and being a goddamn fool

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Thats exactly what someone who's trolling would say. You are too persistent.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Why are so many people assuming Geno is still likely? Reggie literally said they've never appeared in Smash before, I'm pretty sure that also relates to costumes and other stuff related to the character being in it? But also I doubt they'd be hyping him up as "a surprising character that's very unexpected and we were excited to be able to get" which is what multiple people at Nintendo claimed all the DLC would be. They legitimately seem like they're surprised Nintendo got them to be DLC in Smash Bros, because they're someone that 'nobody would expect to see in Smash Bros'. They are likely all non-Nintendo properties, so like Dragon Quest, maybe a Sony rep and a Microsoft Rep and then like... some other iconic character. I really don't think they'd be playing up how crazy it is that they got these 5 characters and then put Geno in. It's possible I'm wrong, but considering most people consider Geno a Nintendo Character and have been "expecting" him to be added (for whatever reason), it doesn't seem like they'd be claiming each character will be as surprising and unexpected as the last and then toss him into it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why are so many people assuming Geno is still likely? Reggie literally said they've never appeared in Smash before, I'm pretty sure that also relates to costumes and other stuff related to the character being in it? But also I doubt they'd be hyping him up as "a surprising character that's very unexpected and we were excited to be able to get" which is what multiple people at Nintendo claimed all the DLC would be. They are likely all non-Nintendo properties, so like Dragon Quest, maybe a Sony rep and a Microsoft Rep and then like... some other iconic character. I really don't think they'd be playing up how crazy it is that they got these 5 characters and then put Geno in. It's possible I'm wrong, but considering most people consider Geno a Nintendo Character and have been "expecting" him to be added (for whatever reason), it doesn't seem like they'd be claiming each character will be as surprising and unexpected as the last and then toss him into it.
You been uh
You been reading the thread lately?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If anyone want's to try and "talk some sense into me" my PM's are always open, but for as much of an evil geno loving asshole that I am, I still want to keep this thread semi on topic.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman

Don't worry, it's fine. Every group has it's nutcases.

Still, I would appreciate it if that particular nutcase didn't derail the thread every ****ing day.
I still want to keep this thread semi on topic.
Haha, good one

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Don't worry, it's fine. Every group has it's nutcases.

Still, I would appreciate it if that particular nutcase didn't derail the thread every ****ing day.

Haha, good one
People with actually mental problems don't appreciate being called nutcases. But again; I want to keep this on topic. I'm saying this more out of the concern for others, rather than myself.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
No? Cause I was talking about your average internet shmoe; not Square Enix. If there's enough support; Square will listen. Money talks.
The person you're gonna be calling at Square Enix will be a regular internet shmoe lol. Or just a regular shmoe. They aint setting up execs at the call stations. There already is a lot of support for Geno. And do you have money to speak for the whole of the Geno fanbase??

If anyone want's to try and "talk some sense into me" my PM's are always open, but for as much of an evil geno loving ******* that I am, I still want to keep this thread semi on topic.
I don't think its crucial enough to take to DM's bruh, make the Geno fandom look toxic on your own lol But I agree we should get back to topic

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
People with actually mental problems don't appreciate being called nutcases. But again; I want to keep this on topic. I'm saying this more out of the concern for others, rather than myself.
That's enough. I think everyone's patience is being tested with you staying on the subject.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
oh man this is a ****show, are the mods asleep or something

Welp, uh...
Outside the list, who would be more likely for you all here?
I'd say Lara Croft. Classic Lara Croft.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I never said his age excused him for his behavior. I said that he likely grew up with that and that's likely part of the reason he's like that. I was also using his age to point out just how likely it is that he won't really be along all that much longer.

And that's bordering on conspiracy theory territory stuff there with the whole Nintendo being turned down.

Look, I've seen you suggest that this approach doesn't work in the Geno thread before. Can I please ask you to not approach the situation with such hostility and anger? There's a big difference in saying, "Hey, our tactics haven't worked as well as we hoped, let's try something new" and the implications of positive attitudes and respectfulness failing and thus being the core of the issue. That second version is a much more toxic version that will lead to nothing but bad presentation of Geno fans. Going for a non-respectful approach is a sure fired way to make people at best ignore you, and at worst become openly hostile towards you.

This is not a good look for fans of Geno, and while I appreciate your passion, there are much better ways to express it. Geno has always had nothing but an uphill battle, don't make it even harder for him or the fans by making more negative associations with his name.

And for reference Waluigi and Isaac haven't actually worked. Nintendo was bold enough to make a Mother 3 joke in an E3 Direct and still haven't released it. I think that's pretty good proof that "hearing your complaints" means nothing and is pretty often PR talk for "settle down there."

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So uhhh, to try and get distract from this drama, anyone play any good Square-Enix games recently? I've actually been on a bit of a Square kick myself lately, since I've been replaying Kingdom Hearts and I recently started Final Fantasy IX. NieR Automata's another one I've been trying to complete after putting it off for so long.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

Welp, uh...
I think her mainly iconic guns kind of (hehe) shoot her in the foot there. But I do wonder if Joker will get a gun.

I'm thinking 2B would be SUPER likely given her popularity and Platinum Games is already on board.

D

Deleted member

Welp, uh...
If they wanted to do another FF rep I can see Gilgamesh happening. He's pretty much the only recurring character that isnt a creature, and could have a really distinct fighting style if Dissidia is anything to go by.

Top Bottom