• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
The don't buy it option is kind of moot right now; since I bought on good faith because of the Joker.

Also I mean I find DQ pretty milktoast; but that's not the main reason why I don't want it in Smash. It's the principle of the whole thing. Being a pure marketing pick and the royalties that would need to be paid for the music.
If you chose not to make an informed purchase, that's nobody's fault but your own, my dude. Always wait to see what you're buying before you buy it.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I'm guilty of just buying the fighters pass, I honestly just wanted a bigger roster regardless of what character it is.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm guilty of just buying the fighters pass, I honestly just wanted a bigger roster regardless of what character it is.
I'll support Sakurai and his team regardless of who makes it in, and I always like having the complete roster.

I was already satisfied after "Everyone Is Here!" and in my opinion, the more characters the better.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You can probably tell I'm going many different ways regarding this leak.

But like...

Does it actually make sense to you guys that some random Japanese 2channer would know 2 DLC trailers when our top insiders don't know jack ****?
And I keep seeing the "Well it'd take a lot of effort to fake this" leak and I hate to bring up the Grinch leak, but I'm bringing it up, because it's relevant.

I get it, insiders spoke against the Grinch leak, but it was still a monumental effort that turned out fake.

But the Grinch leak isn't even my main point here; does it REALLY make sense to you guys?

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Oh for sure, the Smash portion of the leak is probably fake

But Erdrick still has decent chances, and that's really what we should be getting out of this.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

But Erdrick still has decent chances, and that's really what we should be getting out of this.
....????

So you're saying we're back to Erdrick being likely like he has for months...?

I'm very confused. Why are we discussing it if the Smash part is likely fake?

D

Deleted member

But like...

Does it actually make sense to you guys that some random Japanese 2channer would know 2 DLC trailers when our top insiders don't know jack ****?
And I keep seeing the "Well it'd take a lot of effort to fake this" leak and I hate to bring up the Grinch leak, but I'm bringing it up, because it's relevant.

I get it, insiders spoke against the Grinch leak, but it was still a monumental effort that turned out fake.

But the Grinch leak isn't even my main point here; does it REALLY make sense to you guys?

I think the main thing that puts Erdrick on the map, aside from the overall status of Dragon Quest, is how many people are backing him instead of just one person like with some other leaks.
Of course this could mean nothing in the long run but the fact that multiple people are saying that he's in or are at least leaning towards him being in makes it all worth noting
inb4 we get a DQ rep that isn't Erdrick

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

But like...

2 DLC trailers?

Are you referring to the OG 2chan leak? There were no details about trailers in that one. It was stage and small moveset details.

The "effort" mentioned comes from threading together insider information, some of which was not publicly known, and weaving an accurate narrative with that, not drawing some half-baked banner renders for a zoomed out banner and faking someone's identity. They're two completely different things.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
What is so hard to understand?
-Leak is a Package of A/B/C/D/E
- A/B end up being verified within Atlus sources
-C end up being true with Arc Sys
- So D/E have a high chance to happens which is Smash.
Leak is actually a package of A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I
A was confirmed at the TGA. B and C are MIA. D and E were confirmed with Atlus sources. F was true with Arc Sys.

What I'm saying is, unless B and C get confirmed, this "leak" isn't worth believing. (The B and C being the stuff about the stage in smash bros and the stage hazard/assist trophy/whatever jack frost is)

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I think the main thing that puts Erdrick on the map, aside from the overall status of Dragon Quest, is how many people are backing him instead of just one person like with some other leaks.
Of course this could mean nothing in the long run but the fact that multiple people are saying that he's in or are at least leaning towards him being in makes it all worth noting
inb4 we get a DQ rep that isn't Erdrick
I will say people were pretty much assuming he's in because of the "leaks". People really need to be less gullible in regards to this situation.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
....????

So you're saying we're back to Erdrick being likely like he has for months...?

I'm very confused. Why are we discussing it if the Smash part is likely fake?
Because some people genuinely think that leakers know the stages and movesets of these characters

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
2 DLC trailers?

Are you referring to the OG 2chan leak? There were no details about trailers in that one. It was stage and small moveset details.

The "effort" mentioned comes from threading together insider information, some of which was not publicly known, and weaving an accurate narrative with that, not drawing some half-baked banner renders for a zoomed out banner and faking someone's identity. They're two completely different things.
Summoning characters for a move, showing off alts, and showing off a stage sounds an awful lot like a trailer to me. Either way, they know the specifics of the Atlus character as well as the Squenix character. Two secrets so tightly kept we still haven't able to figure out who one of them is. And it's been MONTHS.

They also would have to know the specifics of that accurate narrative, which makes no sense to me-you're telling me this guy's so important and has so many sources he knows 2 of the DLC characters, when we barely have an inkling of who ANY of them are, and ALSO knows the company philosophy on holding up P5A, and also knows when P5R is coming...and is just casually posting 2Ch leaks.

If I'm not mistaken the insider info that isn't publicly known is that P5R is some sort of remaster and P5A is apparently delayed? P5A being delayed isn't even confirmed, for one thing; and seeing as we've had a year and a half to speculate on what P5R is it doesn't seem too unlikely to me that someone figured out it was a remaster as it seemed a lot of people were anticipating.

I'm sure Erdrick is in but none of this is lining up for me.

(You know this but obviously no disrespect intended TPC; you know I can just talk a lot about stupid things lol. Thanks for the response.)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm sorry you feel coerced into having to get Erdrick (if he does happen) because of the pass, but at least with the pass you spent less money than if you had actually bought the character individually, so less goes to the guy.

I have no real interest in Dragon Quest either, but to call it 'purely a marketing pick' is still pretty unfair. Dragon Quest's legacy is HUGE, it's so big the release is practically a holiday in Japan, something on that scale has claim to legitimate gaming fame and would be pretty fair to be in Smash. (Plus, the Smash community rarely knows what would actually be a good choice. People used to say Pac-Man would make no sense until he actually happened.)

I really do feel for your hatred of the composer, it's a shame a guy like that has to be attached to a project as big as Dragon Quest. But you've escalated from 'I regret buying the bundle because now some of my money goes to the composer' to now saying 'Dragon Quest absolutely doesn't deserve to ever show up in Smash because of the composer' and that's unfair.
TBF; I was completely on the Pac Man train but that's not the point lol.
I don't feel like it's TOO unreasonable to want DQ to stay out of Smash until they cease working with the composer, but I dunno.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
TBF; I was completely on the Pac Man train but that's not the point lol.
I don't feel like it's TOO unreasonable to want DQ to stay out of Smash until they cease working with the composer, but I dunno.
That's fair to not personally want it for that reason! As many have said before, I foresee a lot of people possibly taking issue with that and drawing attention to the composer if Erdrick does get into the game. You are absolutely entitled to feel like it's not cool that Nintendo is willing to pay royalties to somebody who openly admits things like that.

At no point should you feel like you're wrong for not wanting to give the guy money. It becomes a problem when you start saying anybody who is willing to get the character is supportive of the composer, or that people are 'too quick to forgive him.' Some people just want to see DQ in Smash, some look past his comments because they don't affect the series itself, some people disassociate his atrocious mindset from his work. You by no means have to do any of that, especially since some of his comments apply directly to you.

People started ragging on you for letting your hate of the guy envelop your opinion of the game and your view of people who were fine with DQ getting into Smash. Keep hating the guy, he's a pile of trash, but just stay focused on who the enemy is here.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
That's fair to not personally want it for that reason! As many have said before, I foresee a lot of people possibly taking issue with that and drawing attention to the composer if Erdrick does get into the game. You are absolutely entitled to feel like it's not cool that Nintendo is willing to pay royalties to somebody who openly admits things like that.

At no point should you feel like you're wrong for not wanting to give the guy money. It becomes a problem when you start saying anybody who is willing to get the character is supportive of the composer, or that people are 'too quick to forgive him.' Some people just want to see DQ in Smash, some look past his comments because they don't affect the series itself, some people disassociate his atrocious mindset from his work. You by no means have to do any of that, especially since some of his comments apply directly to you.

People started ragging on you for letting your hate of the guy envelop your opinion of the game and your view of people who were fine with DQ getting into Smash. Keep hating the guy, he's a pile of trash, but just stay focused on who the enemy is here.
Sometimes I also just get frustrated at Square cause they could totally be using characters like Geno, Sora and Crono for leakbait. Which means they acknowledge the popularity of the character; but think Dragon Quest is more "profitable" so they are actively ignoring fans. It all comes off incredibly cynical to me if they pick Erdrick.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sometimes I also just get frustrated at Square cause they could totally be using characters like Geno, Sora and Crono for leakbait. Which means they acknowledge the popularity of the character; but think Dragon Quest is more "profitable" so they are actively ignoring fans. It all comes off incredibly cynical to me if they pick Erdrick.
Well, DQ IS more profitable than Geno and Crono, maybe even Sora. Cynical or not that's just simple logic.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well, DQ IS more profitable than Geno and Crono, maybe even Sora. Cynical or not that's just simple logic.
Is it though? I'd argue maybe in the eyes of a business man it is. Certainly in the eye's of Square. But if they took a step back and looked at all the factors, I think it's a lot closer than you think.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Is it though? I'd argue maybe in the eyes of a business man it is. Certainly in the eye's of Square. But if they took a step back and looked at all the factors, I think it's a lot closer than you think.
See I'm looking at the factors right here

Here's something to put it into perspective

Whenever a DQ game drops in Japan it's basically a national holiday, no one goes to school, they're busy playing DQ.

And I'm looking at Geno, star of precisely one game, and Crono, star of precisely one game, and telling you, yeah, it is

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
See I'm looking at the factors right here

Here's something to put it into perspective

Whenever a DQ game drops in Japan it's basically a national holiday, no one goes to school, they're busy playing DQ.

And I'm looking at Geno, star of precisely one game, and Crono, star of precisely one game, and telling you, yeah, it is
I heard the Holiday thing is a myth.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If you can get me a source to back that up I'll certainly consider that!

Myth or not, that's just one example. Please don't tell me I need to seriously explain this.
DQ has sold 71 MILLION COPIES WORLDWIDE...that should be enough to shut that "is it though" down.
Copy sales isn't everything. In that case Puyo Puyo would be in over the Persona franchise. Sadly though; Square does seem stuck in that outdated mindset.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Copy sales isn't everything. In that case Puyo Puyo would be in over the Persona franchise. Sadly though; Square does seem stuck in that outdated mindset.
It isn't everything but here's the thing
Puyo Puyo has sold 10 million copies.

Dragon Quest has sold x7+ of that.

It's sold so much we can't really register it because of how big that number is.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It isn't everything but here's the thing
Puyo Puyo has sold 10 million copies.

Dragon Quest has sold x7+ of that.

It's sold so much we can't really register it because of how big that number is.
Are you saying that it's okay that Square used Geno as leak bait then? Cause I'm frankly ****ing offended.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It worked, didn't it?
That's not the point. They KNEW what people wanted, but instead of giving what we wanted, they used it to trick people and push their latest cash cow franchise. For ****s sake Square; you aren't even DOING anything with Geno! Why are you keeping him to yourself?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That's not the point. They KNEW what people wanted, but instead of giving what we wanted, they used it to trick people and push their latest cash cow franchise. For ****s sake Square; you aren't even DOING anything with Geno! Why are you keeping him to yourself?
There's groups who want Sephiroth, or Slime, or Luminary, or Sora, or Crono.
There's no point in giving Geno away or anything, they'd make no real profit.

I'm not saying I'm happy with it or I find it the right thing for them to do but I get why they did it. Because for many people it worked. Just like you can say for anyone on that list.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
There's groups who want Sephiroth, or Slime, or Luminary, or Sora, or Crono.
There's no point in giving Geno away or anything, they'd make no real profit.

I'm not saying I'm happy with it or I find it the right thing for them to do but I get why they did it. Because for many people it worked. Just like you can say for anyone on that list.
I seriously am considering organizing calls to Square if they **** up. They have been blocking out voices for too long.

D

Deleted member

I seriously am considering organizing calls to Square if they **** up. They have been blocking out voices for too long.
Are you serious?
The fact is, they don't owe you or anyone anything in regards to Smash. I understand your frustration especially with how long Geno's fanbase has existed for but there is no need to throw a tantrum in their direction.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They are in the top spot for whenever smash 6 comes out. I'll ****ing take that.
No they aren't. Sorry. In case you can't tell they're not really THAT worried about Isaac and Waluigi fans.

Read my whole post next time. You're just hampering some worker's day. You're not talking to the big dogs or anything you're talking to some poor fella who doesn't know who Geno is.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
No they aren't. Sorry. In case you can't tell they're not really THAT worried about Isaac and Waluigi fans.

Read my whole post next time. You're just hampering some worker's day. You're not talking to the big dogs or anything you're talking to some poor fella who doesn't know who Geno is.
Polar Panda TOLD US Nintendo heard the collective outrage after Isaac got assisted. And the Geno fanbase could make a MUCH louder fuss than them.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I've read what you said. But I don't think you've read what I've said; since you aren't addressing it.
Alright lemme bust out my handy telescope

Ooo boy oh boy lemme zoom in oh boy

Nintendo heard the Isaac outrage huh? Well why don't you show me where they said, even implied, they're gonna do a thing about it.

Also, why would you be calling Nintendo? This would be on SQUENIX. Not Nintendo. Two ENTIRELY different companies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Alright lemme bust out my handy telescope

Ooo boy oh boy lemme zoom in oh boy

Nintendo heard the Isaac outrage huh? Well why don't you show me where they said, even implied, they're gonna do a thing about it.

Also, why would you be calling Nintendo? This would be on SQUENIX. Not Nintendo. Two ENTIRELY different companies.
I never said I'd call Nintendo lol.

Also this information came from Polar Panda; who is the most reliable source we've got.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I never said I'd call Nintendo lol.

Also this information came from Polar Panda; who is the most reliable source we've got.
Okay, now tell me where PolarPanda said Nintendo has even implied they'll do a thing about Isaac.

Also, why are you bringing up NINTENDO'S decisions with Isaac and Waluigi instead of bringing up Squenix???

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Can we all take a step back and relax? I want geno as much as anyone, but there's no reason for us to lose our cool over this video game. Ultimately, corporations are gonna do what they think is best for them, regardless of fan demand. Much as you or I might dislike it, them's the rubs. Best we can hope for is to try and make our voices heard as amicably as possible. Going around and throwing a fit isn't going to do anything but make us look bad.

Top Bottom