• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If it is Erdrick.

I sincerely hope it flops in Square's face and it doesn't see any increased success from pretty much forcing it into Smash.

If it had just been added naturally and after everyone globally had come to love it, cool, but this? This is laughable considering there was a Smash fan want and a global superstar like Sora on the Square spectrum that would have probably been a little more loved by everyone and not just Dragon Quest fans/Japan.

Untouch

Smash Master
Elaborate?
The first 4 AAA companies on board with the Switch were Square Enix, Sega, Ubisoft and Bethesda.
Sega is working on a SMT game for Switch, we got an SMT character (not going through this again, Persona is a spinoff of SMT).
Square Enix is working on a DQ game for Switch, we got a DQ character.
I feel Ubisoft and Bethesda will be getting a character too, this isn't a pattern, I just think Nintendo asked companies to bring games over to the Switch for a character in Smash's DLC. Sonic Forces and DQXI were both announced in 2016, which is when the DLC was likely chosen based on what Sakurai has said.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If it is Erdrick.

I sincerely hope it flops in Square's face and it doesn't see any increased success from pretty much forcing it into Smash.

If it had just been added naturally and after everyone globally had come to love it, cool, but this? This is laughable considering there was a Smash fan want and a global superstar like Sora on the Square spectrum that would have probably been a little more loved by everyone and not just Dragon Quest fans/Japan.
I'd 1000x want Sora over this. At least there would be a bunch of happy Sora fans. This benefits Square and only Square.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The first 4 AAA companies on board with the Switch were Square Enix, Sega, Ubisoft and Bethesda.
Sega announced is working on a SMT game for Switch, we got an SMT character (not going through this again, Persona is a spinoff of SMT).
I feel Ubisoft and Bethesda will be getting a character too, this isn't a pattern, I just think Nintendo asked companies to bring games over to the Switch for a character in Smash's DLC. Sonic Forces and DQXI were both announced in 2016, which is when the DLC was likely chosen based on what Sakurai has said.
Well I'll take Ezio if Ubisoft is getting someone. Who are you leaning towards?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's not eldrick. Simple as that. Sakurai is not a moron. He knows what people want.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Like I said, there could be a second SE character of the remaining three. Like I said, just bite the bullet because the remainder of DLC will really suck if you let the second character be the death of your expectations.

Untouch

Smash Master
Well I'll take Ezio if Ubisoft is getting someone. Who are you leaning towards?
I'm thinking Ezio (since Rayman is effectively out) and either Doomguy or Dragonborn.
I'm not a leaker or anyone with info this is just my educated guess.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Like I said, there could be a second SE character of the remaining three. Like I said, just bite the bullet because the remainder of DLC will really suck if you let the second character be the death of your expectations.
no. there's no chance of two square DLC's. They're too ****ing greedy.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
If it is Erdrick.

The Fire Emblem characters were "forced" into Smash and look what happened. They got extremely popular. Look, I'm not a Dragon Quest fan either. Hell I rooted for Sora. But Dragon Quest needs the love. It's such an important franchise to games as a whole. It deserves to be in Smash probably even more than Cloud.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
It's not eldrick. Simple as that. Sakurai is not a moron. He knows what people want.
I get what you're trying to say, but it comes off as so pompous and biased that it reads more like 'Sakurai would be a big dum-dum to add a character from literally the most popular gaming franchise not currently represented in Smash and not somebody more popular.'

I mean, I don't care one bit for Dragon Quest, but I have the mental capacity to acknowledge that it's a huge goddamn deal, and a character from it getting into Smash would be massive.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Sega is working on a SMT game for Switch, we got an SMT character (not going through this again, Persona is a spinoff of SMT).
If Namco doesn't get a second rep at all, that's when I'd riot haha.

D

Deleted member

If it is Erdrick.

Yeah man it's not like it's one of the few big NES era franchises still not represented, and is one of the most massively popular franchises in its home country that the reaction there alone would make it worth it from a business perspective. That would be crazy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Fire Emblem characters were "forced" into Smash and look what happened. They got extremely popular. Look, I'm not a Dragon Quest fan either. Hell I rooted for Sora. But Dragon Quest needs the love. It's such an important franchise to games as a whole. It deserves to be in Smash probably even more than Cloud.
It does deserve it.

But not in a ''FORCED IN FOR SALES OF IT ALL" sort of way.

I LOATHE the idea of Nintendo allowing a third party company to have a series in Smash in part to help increase it's sales and not fully because it's deserving or iconic. I loathe the idea of Smash being used as a vehicle by anyone but Nintendo to boost the sales of IPs.

Fire Emblem was Nintendo and thus different.

This? This would be gross and Square basically USING Smash plus also being celebrated for what DQ has already accomplished.

And that leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They're greedy, but I never said they were smart. Hence Eldrick being the DLC choice.
No, you equated the lack of extra DLC to greed, not anything relating to intelligence. And although I think there are better choices, I can still see the reasons behind his inclusion if he were to get in.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
no. there's no chance of two square DLC's. They're too ****ing greedy.
Wouldn't that be all the more reason to though? Konami, SEGA, and Capcom all have three. Square would have to split profits with Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Heart Beat for Erdrick anyways so the incentive for another would definitely be there. It's definitely not impossible.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I didn't say that though. I mentioned a rumored January direct and then said that Jump Festa might be something to keep an eye on.

Like I said, I don't know the order of the announcements and don't know when specifically it will be. I was just throwing out a couple possibilities.
Yet you state like 22nd is something worth have some look out for when it's more than likely not Smash related. You know that most people won't take you seriously if nothing Smash related happens on that date because you mentioned it right?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wouldn't that be all the more reason to though? Konami, SEGA, and Capcom all have three. Square would have to split profits with Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Heart Beat for Erdrick anyways so the incentive for another would definitely be there. It's definitely not impossible.
Heart Beat is a defunct studio. It no longer exists.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Yet you state like 22nd is something worth have some look out for when it's more than likely not Smash related. You know that most people won't take you seriously if nothing Smash related happens on that date because you mentioned it right?
If nothing happens on that date and people stop taking me seriously, then those people are idiots.

I said that people might want to keep an eye on it. Something COULD happen there. Like I stated on GameFAQs, I don't know the release order, and like I said here, that was NOT an announcement of a release date.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
All this salt over a DQ character. I wanted Geno in before anyone else but if it's Erdrick I'm gonna be so hyped. Also Sakurai told you not to get the pass if you weren't sure. so /shrug

D

Deleted member

All this salt over a DQ character. I wanted Geno in before anyone else but if it's Erdrick I'm gonna be so hyped. Also Sakurai told you not to get the pass if you weren't sure. so /shrug
People really could do to be a bit more optimistic. Buying the fighter pass then getting upset over something that could very realistically be a part of it is foolish.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People really could do to be a bit more optimistic. Buying the fighter pass then getting upset over something that could very realistically be a part of it is foolish.
As a LGBT person; your right. I should just be optimistic that the person getting into Smash wants me to die.

Untouch

Smash Master
I have a feeling if we ARE getting DOOMguy, they'll reveal Erdrick and him at the same time, to take the heat off, both of these characters are very popular in one part of the world while being relatively unknown in the other.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I have a feeling if we ARE getting DOOMguy, they'll reveal Erdrick and him at the same time, to take the heat off, both of these characters are very popular in one part of the world while being relatively unknown in the other.
I highly doubt that Doomguy will ever be playable in Smash.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
As a LGBT person; your right. I should just be optimistic that the person getting into Smash wants me to die.
Erdrick is not the composer. For god's sake, stop it with the 'I disagree with one person out of many associated with the franchise, so the entire franchise is a poison that I must avoid.'

It is not a seal of approval of his views if DQ makes it into Smash, it's recognition of DQ as a landmark in gaming if it makes it in. Stop equating Dragon Quest's own existence with the hateful views of one person associated with the project.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Only one person of many wants me to die. And that helps how? Sure isn't reassuring or makes it any better.
Please don't start this topic again. We've been through this, people have made their opinions clear. Stop whining.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody needs to deal with any more of your salty tears in this thread, specially when you try to revive a dead topic that the mods made it clear to not go any further.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Erdrick is not the composer. For god's sake, stop it with the 'I disagree with one person out of many associated with the franchise, so the entire franchise is a poison that I must avoid.'

It is not a seal of approval of his views if DQ makes it into Smash, it's recognition of DQ as a landmark in gaming if it makes it in. Stop equating Dragon Quest's own existence with the hateful views of one person associated with the project.
Is he getting payed? Then it's supporting his views. It's that simple.

D

Deleted member

You sure come to the defense of this guy pretty quickly.
Can you quit the guilt tripping?
I agree he is a ****ty person. But that doesnt change the fact that he is one person, everyone else who has worked on the series doesnt deserve to have their work swept aside over one ****ty person.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The reason Dragon Quest being in Smash to help make it more popular in America and what not annoys me so greatly is because that's on SQUARE themselves to fix. Not Nintendo and it's star making power with Smash.

YOU failed Dragon Quest in the West, Square Enix. YOU should be the one cleaning up that mess and actually promoting the ****ing **** in your own ways and means. Not Nintendo's.

I fully believe DQ is worthy of Smash, but I don't agree with it using Smash to get more popular in countries where Square failed it. That's Nintendo cleaning up their problem for them and that should not ****ing happen.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The reason Dragon Quest being in Smash to help make it more popular in America and what not annoys me so greatly is because that's on SQUARE themselves to fix. Not Nintendo and it's star making power with Smash.

YOU failed Dragon Quest in the West, Square Enix. YOU should be the one cleaning up that mess and actually promoting the ****ing **** in your own ways and means. Not Nintendo's.

I fully believe DQ is worthy of Smash, but I don't agree with it using Smash to get more popular in countries where Square failed it. That's Nintendo cleaning up their problem for them and that should not ****ing happen.
Honestly I can agree with this it's there fault and they should take the responsibility but I can understand why they'd take the easy way out it's super easy to just push the smash button of course they did it

Top Bottom