• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Is he getting payed? Then it's supporting his views. It's that simple.
You act like this is somebody who gets paid for doing nothing but sitting in a corner of Square's office shouting obscenities.

The man is the COMPOSER. He isn't being paid for being the piece of garbage he is, he;s being paid for the actual work he does.

That is not 'supporting his views'. The man will be 'supported for his views' with the release of every single game he does work on at that rate.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
The reason Dragon Quest being in Smash to help make it more popular in America and what not annoys me so greatly is because that's on SQUARE themselves to fix. Not Nintendo and it's star making power with Smash.

YOU failed Dragon Quest in the West, Square Enix. YOU should be the one cleaning up that mess and actually promoting the ****ing **** in your own ways and means. Not Nintendo's.

I fully believe DQ is worthy of Smash, but I don't agree with it using Smash to get more popular in countries where Square failed it. That's Nintendo cleaning up their problem for them and that should not ****ing happen.
Nintendo does usually publish DQ games in the west so it is helpful to them.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If nothing happens on that date and people stop taking me seriously, then those people are idiots.

I said that people might want to keep an eye on it. Something COULD happen there. Like I stated on GameFAQs, I don't know the release order, and like I said here, that was NOT an announcement of a release date.

You are either extremely naive or trying to backpedal or maybe both. I don't know and to be honest I really don't care right now. But know this... No matter what it is, Smash fanatics (especially on Gamefaqs) that wants news from leaks works in absolutes. I mean, people are still giving Vergeben extreme **** for the reason of Simon not being at E3 like he stated pre-e3, Minecraft being a boss even though there is no Minecraft code in the game, or the now infamous Square is the first DLC rep shown fiasco.

While someone like myself knows that no leakers have a perfect record (knowing people that are on the scooping business when it comes to movies)... GameFAQs are more then likely going to eat you up if you try an make another claims there if nothing happens at the 22nd

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Xeno posted it on Gamefaqs with an imgur link. If you're skeptical, I confirmed he talks to Hitagi on the daily a while ago. He basically posted a screenshot where Hitagi said that he approves of Erdrick and that he's okay with having his message screenshot.

https://imgur.com/TRzxrNp
Has Xeno leaked anything before or did you vet him and he's credible? I'm just trying to understand why he's considered credible.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You act like this is somebody who gets paid for doing nothing but sitting in a corner of Square's office shouting obscenities.

The man is the COMPOSER. He isn't being paid for being the piece of garbage he is, he;s being paid for the actual work he does.

That is not 'supporting his views'. The man will be 'supported for his views' with the release of every single game he does work on at that rate.
Him getting money allows him to continue finding work and have clout in the industry. This gives his word's more meaning and reach a wider audience. If this was some jobless hack; no one would be worried. But people respect him; so they will listen to what he has to say.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Heart Beat is a defunct studio. It no longer exists.
It was willingly dissolved thus IP shares still exist. You can read an explanation for this here:

https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/5913/what-happens-to-ip-owned-by-a-defunct-company

Heart Beat still owns some ownership of Erdrick because his latest design comes from the SNES remake of DQIII Dixie's Double Trouble. Any material or concepts used from that game is legally liable.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
One of xenother's images mentioned different incarnations of Erdrick as alt skins. Would this include Eight? Could someone with knowledge on DQ lore fill me in?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I think the problem with DQ that people seems to have is that...

Erdrick in. No Geno and Sora.

And as what Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman said, it would be mainly corporate and simply feel off because it’s one of their multiple attempts to get DQ popular in the West. At least with Fire Emblem, Marth was added because he was a very popular request from Japanese fans and they were even thinking about keeping Marth japanese exclusive. But I doubt that Erdrick is actually a popular request for Smash overseas, or anyone that isn’t slime for that matter.

I understand that DQ is iconic, Uber in Japan, and has their history and I actually started to like Erdrick a bit. But it ends up coming at the cost of two other characters that actually have popularity (especially Geno) and one character that is actually liked and well known worldwide. And because of that, Erdrick comes off the wrong way as a “shill” character.

And on a seperate note, people haven’t brought up anything in relation to Erdrick’s potential moveset (unless if I look in the Erdrick thread) since that’s also important to Sakurai.

In all honesty, I feel like the Square battle is a never ending cycle and there can’t really be a true winner. If it was up to me, I would’ve tried to get ALL THREE Geno, Erdrick, and Sora since they all have valid points for inclusion.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think the problem with DQ that people seems to have is that...

Erdrick in. No Geno and Sora.

And as what Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman said, it would be mainly corporate and simply feel off because it’s one of their multiple attempts to get DQ popular in the West. At least with Fire Emblem, Marth was added because he was a very popular request from Japanese fans and they were even thinking about keeping Marth japanese exclusive. But I doubt that Erdrick is actually a popular request for Smash overseas, or anyone that isn’t slime for that matter.

I understand that DQ is iconic, Uber in Japan and, have their history and I actually started to like Erdrick a bit. But it ends up coming at the cost of two other characters that actually have popularity (especially Geno) and one character that is actually liked and well known worldwide. And because of that, Erdrick comes off the wrong way as a “shill” character. Not to mention that people haven’t brought up anything in relation to Erdrick’s potential moveset since that’s also important to Sakurai (unless if I look in the Erdrick thread).

In all honesty, I feel like the Square battle is a never ending cycle and there can’t really be a true winner. If it was up to me, I would’ve tried to get ALL THREE Geno, Erdrick, and Sora since they all have valid points for inclusion.
I mean I never want him in tbh. Of course Geno and Sora are a part of it; but Dragon Quest has a whole other rabbit hole to it that I'd really rather not get tied up in Smash with.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Him getting money allows him to continue finding work and have clout in the industry. This gives his word's more meaning and reach a wider audience. If this was some jobless hack; no one would be worried. But people respect him; so they will listen to what he has to say.
People respect his work but acknowledge that as a person he's garbage. It's called disassociating art from the artist. There's quite a hefty number of musicians, directors, etc. who do incredible work that they do deserve credit for, but are still terrible people with extremely disagreeable views. This is no different.

Again, you act as if buying a DQ character just means all of the money goes directly to him. It goes to the entirety of the DQ team, SE, the various parties also responsible for the licensing, etc. To condemn each of them because of him is unfair, it's the 'one bad apple spoils the whole bunch' train of thought.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People respect his work but acknowledge that as a person he's garbage. It's called disassociating art from the artist. There's quite a hefty number of musicians, directors, etc. who do incredible work that they do deserve credit for, but are still terrible people with extremely disagreeable views. This is no different.

Again, you act as if buying a DQ character just means all of the money goes directly to him. It goes to the entirety of the DQ team, SE, the various parties also responsible for the licensing, etc. To condemn each of them because of him is unfair, it's the 'one bad apple spoils the whole bunch' train of thought.
I don't care if one dollar goes to him or one million dollars goes to him. He doesn't deserve any money. Besides; Nintendo is gonna give him lots of money anyways just for the right's to his music.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I’m not gonna bash Erdrick or anything. DQ has a really cool art style and I guess that would be interesting to see.

DQ fans, what could his move set be? Would it be unique in any way? Or is Sakurai gonna have to make magic? What makes him your number 1 pick?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I’m not gonna bash Erdrick or anything. DQ has a really cool art style and I guess that would be interesting to see.

DQ fans, what could his move set be? Would it be unique in any way? Or is Sakurai gonna have to make magic? What makes him your number 1 pick?
Please don't submit dude. We have to keep fighting.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At least we're all in agreement that Sugiyama is a dumpster fire of a human being for being Anti-LGBT and a denier of Japanese war crimes. I have no issue with people not buying Erdrick over that, even protest it. That's people legitimate choice for legitimate reasons, especially with music being a key focus of the DLC.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
It was willingly dissolved thus IP shares still exist. You can read an explanation for this here:

https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/5913/what-happens-to-ip-owned-by-a-defunct-company

Heart Beat still owns some ownership of Erdrick because his latest design comes from the SNES remake of DQIII Dixie's Double Trouble. Any material or concepts used from that game is legally liable.

https://store.na.square-enix-games....st-iii-the-seeds-of-salvation-bring-arts-hero
Why isn't spike chunsoft on there then? They made the original. That's weird.

D

Deleted member

To start I don't think he's any DQ fan's first pick lol. he's kinda like Simon Belmont, in that he's the most recognizable figure in their series but not really the fan favorite.
That said I imagine him fighting with multiple different weapon types; he can equip axes, whips, spears, and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head plus a good amount of magic.
I think if they went the multiple weapons route then it would be some degree of appeasing to the non-DQ fans and also be much more interesting in general.

-Coco-

Smash Ace

As a die hard DQ fan, the idea of having DQ content in the game makes me extremely happy. I've toyed around with the idea that Sakurai could implement a level up mechanic of sorts into his moveset, maybe allowing hit to get more pieces of his armor as the game progresses.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a die hard DQ fan, the idea of having DQ content in the game makes me extremely happy. I've toyed around with the idea that Sakurai could implement a level up mechanic of sorts into his moveset, maybe allowing hit to get more pieces of his armor as the game progresses.
I actually really love that idea. Not that good early on but as the match progresses he gets stronger and stronger. Could be really fun to watch too.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

Alright, this is where things get really cool. Erdrick is a massively recognized hero throughout the first three DQ games, and referenced in almost every latter game. He can equip MOST weapon types and learns BOTH types of magic (healing and offensive spells.) No joke, he's incredibly diverse, similar to Robin in a way. Hopefully he'd be able to integrate melee and magic in an interesting way. For reference:

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Erdrick

D

Deleted member

Alright, this is where things get really cool. Erdrick is a massively recognized hero throughout the first three DQ games, and referenced in almost every latter game. He can equip MOST weapon types and learns BOTH types of magic (healing and offensive spells.) No joke, he's incredibly diverse, similar to Robin in a way. Hopefully he'd be able to integrate melee and magic in an interesting way. For reference:

Playing DQ1-3 in succession, as primitive as they could be considered now, is INCREDIBLY satisfying. For anyone interested in DQ because of all this I highly recommend it.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The reason Dragon Quest being in Smash to help make it more popular in America and what not annoys me so greatly is because that's on SQUARE themselves to fix. Not Nintendo and it's star making power with Smash.

YOU failed Dragon Quest in the West, Square Enix. YOU should be the one cleaning up that mess and actually promoting the ****ing **** in your own ways and means. Not Nintendo's.

I fully believe DQ is worthy of Smash, but I don't agree with it using Smash to get more popular in countries where Square failed it. That's Nintendo cleaning up their problem for them and that should not ****ing happen.
Yeah, if Erdrick is indeed DLC, and Square has the ulterior motive of making Dragon Quest more popular in the West, I kinda hope it backfires.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, if Erdrick is indeed DLC, and Square has the ulterior motive of making Dragon Quest more popular in the West, I kinda hope it backfires.
And you just know if it backfires they are never going to let him come back to Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know about Hitagi.

They may have legitimate info about upcoming games, but DLC seems to be a whole different beast than the base Smash game itself, and Hitagi's info conflicted with Vergeben's list from what I remember (he said no FF, probably some others but I forgot tbh).

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I actually really love that idea. Not that good early on but as the match progresses he gets stronger and stronger. Could be really fun to watch too.
Frank West had a moveset similar to that in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and it made him a really unique and fun character to watch. Something similar for Erdrick would be pretty cool to see in Smash Bros.
Please don't submit dude. We have to keep fighting.
Is this a war? Last time I checked it wasn't. This is a discussion forum, not a battlefield. At least open your mind to the very likely possibility that the Square Enix character is Dragon Quest.

At one point I disagreed with Dragon Quest as well because I really wanted Sora; Calane Calane can vouch for this because he and I went back and forth on Dragon Quest. But by taking a step back I can recognize the merits of the series and why it should be in Smash Bros. Take a deep breath, and if you're getting heated like you seem (if you're not I apologize for misinterpreting your posts) to be take a break and go do something you enjoy away Smashboards.

The same goes to anyone else here feeling strongly about this. This is speculation for a video game, there's no need to go after other people.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
So, who all notable is going all in for the 22nd?
Smash and SE are going to be there. There's a panel specifically for the Switch release of DQ which we know nothing about which supposedly includes a "special guest" . My guess was Toriyama.

So wait, how many series are involved with this character again, including Spike Chunsoft?
Heartbeat, Spike, SE, Armor Games, and Bird Studio. But Alena's fig isn't credited to Heartbeat/Artepiazza despite them doing DQ 4 remakes. My guess is the iteration they go with is what determines which company they have to go through. Loto's figure is based off his snes redesign, hence the Heartbeat trademark but not Spike.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Frank West had a moveset similar to that in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and it made him a really unique and fun character to watch. Something similar for Erdrick would be pretty cool to see in Smash Bros.

Is this a war? Last time I checked it wasn't. This is a discussion forum, not a battlefield. At least open your mind to the very likely possibility that the Square Enix character is Dragon Quest.

At one point I disagreed with Dragon Quest as well because I really wanted Sora; Calane Calane can vouch for this because he and I went back and forth on Dragon Quest. But by taking a step back I can recognize the merits of the series and why it should be in Smash Bros. Take a deep breath, and if you're getting heated like you seem (if you're not I apologize for misinterpreting your posts) to be take a break and go do something you enjoy away Smashboards.

The same goes to anyone else here feeling strongly about this. This is speculation for a video game, there's no need to go after other people.
This is more than a video game right now. If it's a DQ rep; it's my favorite company siding with a nasty, nasty person. That is ****ing devastating on somthing you look up to. I trust Nintendo to be the moral one's in today's gaming climate. If they will pay the composer just for Smash Bucks, then who can I trust anymore?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So, who all notable is going all in for the 22nd?
So quick question and your probably stated this but do you dislike DQ or just the reasons it would be in smash bros I'm just curious since this is a discussion thread and all

-Coco-

Smash Ace
This is more than a video game right now. If it's a DQ rep; it's my favorite company siding with a nasty, nasty person. That is ****ing devastating on somthing you look up to. I trust Nintendo to be the moral one's in today's gaming climate. If they will pay the composer just for Smash Bucks, then who can I trust anymore?
They're also siding with Yuji Horii who is a great person and an entire team. I'd buy 5 fighter passes just because he was getting paid alone if I could.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Not entirely giving up on Geno, my friend. Just trying to be realistic. DQ is a very viable pick, and I just want to understand why his fans like him so much, like I’m sure they want to know why we like Geno

To start I don't think he's any DQ fan's first pick lol. he's kinda like Simon Belmont, in that he's the most recognizable figure in their series but not really the fan favorite.
That said I imagine him fighting with multiple different weapon types; he can equip axes, whips, spears, and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head plus a good amount of magic.
I think if they went the multiple weapons route then it would be some degree of appeasing to the non-DQ fans and also be much more interesting in general.

He’s starting to sound a lot like Robin. Anything to make him substantially stand out? “Unique characters” like Reggie said?

I think multiple weapons would be interesting. Like Firion in FF? But is weapons the heart of DQ? Erdrick is probably gonna represent the entirety of the franchise.

Remember that one feature in VIII? That made you go super saiyan? Was that Temper? Struggle? Tension!!! I’d like to see THAT.

Top Bottom