• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Erdrick might as well be another Fire Emblem character who uses magic and swords and the like because he really isn't going to bring much of anything new to the series other than ''I'm here because Dragon Quest is iconic."
Well, it's not like Cloud's Limit Break is the freshest thing ever. I'm sure Sakurai can find some Dragon Quest mechanics to implement into a character if that gets to be the case.

D

Deleted member

Anything the composer does is going to overshadow DQ for me tbh. I wouldn't be this against DQ getting in if he wasn't involved, honestly. DQ would still be anti hype, personally, but I wouldn't be legit MAD like I would right now.
Consider that among the franchises in smash, it is very likely that at least one of the members on the development team has some, well, disagreeable views lets say. You can’t let the thoughts of a single person overshadow literally everything else about that franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Consider that among the franchises in smash, it is very likely that at least one of the members on the development team has some, well, disagreeable views lets say. You can’t let the thoughts of a single person overshadow literally everything else about that franchise.
The composer of the whole franchise is a little more than "just one person", wouldn't you agree though? A person who would be payed rather handsomely to have his famous compositions put in the world's largest crossover fighting game?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, it's not like Cloud's Limit Break is the freshest thing ever. I'm sure Sakurai can find some Dragon Quest mechanics to implement into a character if that gets to be the case.
If they do go with Erdrick, that would be a bit more limited for a gimmick than if they went for the protagonists of later games. Maybe something with the spell Kaclang could be interesting.

D

Deleted member

The composer of the whole franchise is a little more than "just one person", wouldn't you agree though? A person who would be payed rather handsomely to have his famous compositions put in the world's largest crossover fighting game?
Uh, no? Ultimately everybody is just that, one person. Sure he’s the composer, he has a fairly significant role, but he’s one guy among hundreds of others who have also put tons of effort into the dragon quest series.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Uh, no? Ultimately everybody is just that, one person. Sure he’s the composer, he has a fairly significant role, but he’s one guy among hundreds of others who have also put tons of effort into the dragon quest series.
Yeah; but that doesn't stop him from getting the big paycheck. If there was one bigot who got paid for programming super mario Odyssey; that is not the same as if Miyamoto was a bigot who got payed for his work. The cash size matters.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Well I guess I better get the Colbert Balloon gif ready for when Erdrick is revealed.

D

Deleted member

Yeah; but that doesn't stop him from getting the big paycheck. If there was one bigot who got paid for programming super mario Odyssey; that is not the same as if Miyamoto was a bigot who got payed for his work. The cash size matters.
Doesn’t change the fact that he’s one among many. Yes he’s getting payed a lot, but I’m sure tons of people with significant roles in game development have disagreeable views. I just don’t think it’s greta to let this one guy have so much influence over your opinions on something.
Also it’s literslly 4 am wher I am so bye.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay, I do not think Erdrick is being revealed on the 22nd.
I don't know why Xenother brought that up, it feels way too early, even if I do think Erdrick is the Square Enix rep.
Best rip that band-aid off now instead of letting people's expectations get too high. Plus having the low point of DLC be the second one makes sense on paper so they can breeze past it and move on to bigger and better things for the Directs and big events like E3.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Best rip that band-aid off now instead of letting people's expectations get too high. Plus having the low point of DLC be the second one makes sense on paper so they can breeze past it and move on to bigger and better things for the Directs and big events like E3.
I'm kinda surprised at you throwing in the towel so easily man. What about the VGA quiz? What about literally everything Sakurai has said about Geno?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, there's a Square Enix event for Dragon Quest XI:S at the Jump Festival.
They mention a "special" guest but judging by the event I doubt it's Sakurai, it's likely Toriyama.
Okay, now we know that Xenother is even more truly full of **** considering it makes no sense to announce DLC so close on top of each other.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
D

Deleted member

Okay, now we know that Xenother is even more truly full of **** considering it makes no sense to announce DLC so close on top of each other.
Did anyone actually think it would happen beyond simple wishful thinking?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I can vouch, me and him actually discussed this earlier today. For the recond, he didn't hear anything new today. He just figures given that him and hitagi have heard Erdrick an exceeding amount, as well as Verge has, that it's Erdrick. And, given the leak that knew about the new Arcsys Grandblue game also claimed Erdrick, it was the final straw for Xeno. Now he has decided to go all in on Erdrick. I'll remain hesitant until I get official word from my NoA contact, but I'd agree that Erdrick is looking incredibly likely.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm kinda surprised at you throwing in the towel so easily man. What about the VGA quiz? What about literally everything Sakurai has said about Geno?
Doesn't necessarily mean Geno couldn't be later, honestly. SEGA, Konami, and Capcom have three reps so why not Square? It's not a complete gun to the temple but more so wanting to move on if it's basically seen as inevitable. Like a colonoscopy, sometimes you just have to bend over and think about what's for dinner that night. That sort of thing. Like I said, it's a low point and I'd rather think about the remaining three if this is the end result.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Looks like Xeno bit off a bit more than he could chew by announcing the release date ;3 You can always tell when they're in it for the attention

D

Deleted member

I don't think it's a good idea to admit wanting a character, at least partially, for schadenfreude.
What can I say? This is something that I would really look forward to, and if it does happen and people don't like it, then that's their problem.
But, maybe I'm just not thinking straight, that's what a lack of sleep does I guess.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think Xenother has any leak about the announcement date, just a hasty assumption.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I honestly feel like if they'd settled on this choice for Square they'd wait till 4th or 5th character to do it.

Revealing two JRPG characters back to back might be a poor business move. It shows a lack of variety in character choice after you just had the NoA President talking about how the pack was going to include variety and them talking about how we'll have something for fans of all types.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Looks like Xeno bit off a bit more than he could chew by announcing the release date ;3 You can always tell when they're in it for the attention
Xenother is not in for the attention at all. He is predicting the 22nd as the date given what he already knows. That's not a confirmed thing. However, Erdrick is all but confirmed given all he has confirmed. It's easily the most likely right now, and so I can't fault him for going all in. I mean, I know him personally and he's pretty chill and not all about attention. Perhaps he is being too risky by assigning a date, but I can assure you he has good reasons for going all in on Erdrick. It's pretty safe at this point for him.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Did anyone actually think it would happen beyond simple wishful thinking?
Well, Xenother brought up that it would be announced then.. On Jump Fiesta non less. That makes no sense from a business perspective because most of the Smash players don't even follow that. If Ederick truly is in, then a general Nintendo direct makes more sense in like late mid-February early March at best depending on when they are ready to show Joker.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
I'm not announcing the release date. Just saying that it might be something to keep an eye on.

D

Deleted member

I can vouch, me and him actually discussed this earlier today. For the recond, he didn't hear anything new today. He just figures given that him and hitagi have heard Erdrick an exceeding amount, as well as Verge has, that it's Erdrick. And, given the leak that knew about the new Arcsys Grandblue game also claimed Erdrick, it was the final straw for Xeno. Now he has decided to go all in on Erdrick. I'll remain hesitant until I get official word from my NoA contact, but I'd agree that Erdrick is looking incredibly likely.
Man this is good to hear... but I still dont want to get my hopes up. This is nerve wracking lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What can I say? This is something that I would really look forward to, and if it does happen and people don't like it, then that's their problem.
But, maybe I'm just not thinking straight, that's what a lack of sleep does I guess.
I mean, I can understand that, but you just said it in front of said people in a manner as if you expect them to fall to the floor and start pounding on it like a brat who has not got it's way. It's kinda rude.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think it's super hasty to make this decision based off a leak getting one of the worst kept secrets right, but thanks for your input.

Hitagi and numerous people had been talking about this Granblue fighting game it was a major part of why Hitagi thought Katalina would be in Smash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's a really childish ****ing thing to do, to be honest. Why I lost respect for everyone on #teamfake. They just wanted bragging rights over some people who were hopeful.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I honestly don't think we'll get another trailer until February at the very least. I think Joker will get a gameplay trailer in that month and from there, the next trailers should follow some kind of order. If Nintendo wants everyone done by February 2020, then they can't take too long announcing each character.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I can understand that, but you just said it in front of said people in a manner as if you expect them to fall to the floor and start pounding on it like a brat who has not got it's way. It's kinda rude.
Youve got a point. /shrug

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Xenother is not in for the attention at all. He is predicting the 22nd as the date given what he already knows. That's not a confirmed thing. However, Erdrick is all but confirmed given all he has confirmed. It's easily the most likely right now, and so I can't fault him for going all in. I mean, I know him personally and he's pretty chill and not all about attention. Perhaps he is being too risky by assigning a date, but I can assure you he has good reasons for going all in on Erdrick. It's pretty safe at this point for him.
Man, I respect you, but it's clear Xeno just has Geno bias and is reveling in "rubbing it in our faces" If they legit put a ****ing DQ rep in; I'm refunding my goddamn fighter pass.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Well, Xenother brought up that it would be announced then.. On Jump Fiesta non less. That makes no sense from a business perspective because most of the Smash players don't even follow that. If Ederick truly is in, then a general Nintendo direct makes more sense in like late mid-February early March at best depending on when they are ready to show Joker.
I didn't say that though. I mentioned a rumored January direct and then said that Jump Festa might be something to keep an eye on.

Like I said, I don't know the order of the announcements and don't know when specifically it will be. I was just throwing out a couple possibilities.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
This isn't entirely true but it's mostly there. I was told way back in October that Erdrick was likely going to be the Square character. I got word from my main source on the 4th that Erdrick was the real deal.

The 2ch leak did line up with what I've heard, although I was somewhat skeptical at first.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Man, I respect you, but it's clear Xeno just has Geno bias and is reveling in "rubbing it in our faces" If they legit put a ****ing DQ rep in; I'm refunding my goddamn fighter pass.
Honestly I don't really care for any of the Square characters on the list outside of Sora... and unfortunately that isn't happening. I have no bias one way or the other.

Untouch

Smash Master
If the rep does end up being Erdrick, I'm very confident in my theory on how reps were chosen.

Top Bottom