• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So an unreliable person agreed with another unreliable person? I fail to see what this adds.
Do you not know that Hitagi just got his claim about the GranBlue fighting game by Arc System Works confirmed?

Dude's credible. His claim about Katalina in Smash was him jumping the gun similar to Liam Robertson and his claim about Shovel Knight in Smash. He had insider information (Shovel Knight amiibo) and jumped to a hasty conclusion. Hitagi had insider information (Cygames in negotiations with Nintendo, Katalina's name is dropped) and jumped to a hasty conclusion (Katalina is in Smash). He had correct information, but made a wrong conclusion based off of that.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do you not know that Hitagi just got his claim about the GranBlue fighting game by Arc System Works confirmed?

Dude's credible. His claim about Katalina in Smash was him jumping the gun similar to Liam Robertson and his claim about Shovel Knight in Smash. He had insider information (Shovel Knight amiibo) and jumped to a hasty conclusion. Hitagi had insider information (Cygames in negotiations with Nintendo, Katalina's name is dropped) and jumped to a hasty conclusion (Katalina is in Smash). He had correct information, but made a wrong conclusion based off of that.
Yeah I don't buy it. No one know's about DLC right now. He stood behind Katalina as much as Verge stood behind Simon.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What's their track record? I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.
Hitagi has some track records that are outside of Smash Bros, I give him/her that. Nothing of Smash Brothers as of yet, and based on how much Hitagi flip-flopped about the Smash claims, I can't take that individual serious when it comes to Smash
Xenother is just someone that came out of nowhere for a week or two ago, starting off defending Hitagi like it was personal to him. Seen some even joking like he is acting like Htagis lap dog. Claims that he wants no attention yet act like he knows everything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hitagi’s most confident claim was Steve, and a lot of doubt in mine craft content has come out recently so who knows what’s going on there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice

That’s not smash DLC though, you are kinda jumping the gun

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Man, I can't wait for the second character for the fighter pack to be announced. Might open up new possibilities and thinking methods.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah I don't buy it. No one knows about DLC right now. He stood behind Katalina as much as Verge stood behind Simon.
>Provides evidence of Hitagi's credibility
>Get ignored because "no one knows DLC"

No one knows about the entire list, but the Square Enix rep has been known about for a long time, and similar to how Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken were known but K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Richter weren't, the Square Enix rep can be known but the rest of the list cannot. This isn't all or nothing.
That’s not smash DLC though, you are kinda jumping the gun
I'm saying that there's reason to trust him, however, which there is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I can't wait for the second character for the fighter pack to be announced. Might open up new possibilities and thinking methods.
I’m telling you. Square-Enix Company Logo is in. Just you wait.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Finding out who the DLC characters are is cool and all, but what I really wanna know is how these insiders/their sources are listening in on ****ing negotions.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

No one knows about the entire list, but the Square Enix rep has been known about for a long time, and similar to how Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, and Ken were known but K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Richter weren't, the Square Enix rep can be known but the rest of the list cannot. This isn't all or nothing.

Remember when Katalina got announced? BTFO Joker. ;-;

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Remember when Katalina got announced? BTFO Joker. ;-;
Again, an incorrect conclusion doesn't mean incorrect information. While it does lower his credibility, the information (Nintendo in negotiations with Cygames) was correct. Since getting that incorrect, Hitagi has also been more cautious with what he says, so if he agrees with this there is at least some reason to trust it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Again, an incorrect conclusion doesn't mean incorrect information. While it does lower his credibility, the information (Nintendo in negotiations with Cygames) was correct. Since getting that incorrect, Hitagi has also been more cautious with what he says, so if he agrees with this there is at least some reason to trust it.
Not really. He's known for leaking OTHER fighting games. Not Smash. His credibility is a clean slate here; and he's got nothing but bad marks so far.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I was already trusting Hitagi after the getting the DLC for SNK Heroines right. With the new fighter by Arc Sys being announced, I'm having bigger hopes on the Square character and Steve being a thing. Also, he never said Katalina was assured at all, even when he talked about the conversations between Nintendo and Cygames, he wasn't sure whether it was a done deal or not.
Oh, and I still stand by Sephiroth being the most likely of all the characters here. International appeal? Check. Stage and songs? Check. Can be in similar levels of surprise as Joker? Check.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

I’m going to need to hear info from more credible people here in order for this other information to be worth holding onto.

So far, Hitagi and Xenoether flip flopped when it come to DLC so far (along with the whole Chun Li being cut thing xeno pulled out), and Hitagi and Verg’s rumblings of Minecraft content that people have been skeptical on now went as far back as pre-E3.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The part of the 2chan link that makes me big doubt was the part about Jack Frost and Slime "appearing and preforming special abilities"...... like what? Is this an asinine way to say assists or what?
I mean I could see it happening tho. It’s like a Stage Hazard
View attachment 183111
You do realize we're using the same word for two different meanings, right?
Yes, but you essentially just said pretty much what I was saying regardless of the intention of how you’re using selection. The way you are using it, and then your explanation, in form, turns it into how I was using it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People need to think more critically of what leakers say from now on; to be honest. The Grinch Leak didn't really teach anyone anything, in the long run.

D

Deleted member

(along with the whole Chun Li thing Xenoblade pulled out)
Yeah I remember being confused by that when I played the game. That whole plot-point was crazy, but the M. Bison boss fight was pretty cool ngl.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
If xenother and hitagi are wrong about Erdrick, they are done. If I had to guess, I don’t think Vergeben is going to back those 2.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
People need to think more critically of what leakers say from now on; to be honest. The Grinch Leak didn't really teach anyone anything, in the long run.
The Grinch leak raised too many expectations, and even then, there were many insiders (Vergeben included) that told people not to believe it. But alas, seems like only the minority (myself included) took them seriously.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Look, I'm not saying to take their word as gospel. What I'm saying is that we should at least CONSIDER what they have to say instead of immediately dismissing them like some of you here are so willing to do.
I can't wait until the Square character turns out to be the protagonist of the greatest game ever made, The Quiet Man.
Ascended: COOKING MAMA

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon But it's not just ME, that's the issue. Dragon Quest in Smash is super alienating. The main arguments made are legacy in Japan and check boxes so at the end of the day you have the third party equivalent of Wii Fit Trainer that people actually have to pay for. Imagine if people had to pay for Lucas in Brawl. Imagine if people had to pay for Game and Watch in Melee. Hell, people still resent Corrin despite his character concept being cool AF specifically because virtually no one asked for him. Nobody cares about the history aside from the die hard fans, which we've long since established are in Japan with the 93% of the copies bought over three decades. Plus, there's clearly SE characters that have much more appeal world wide that people actually want so it's a slight on a ton of fronts.

Like I said earlier, it's a character choice that all but ignores a variety of fans and is a 98% corporate pick. In short, it's a shill. It's an enormous shill and we've simply been dancing around the word for the past couple of hours but how else do you describe a character with no personality and is through and through the silent sword using JRPG protagonist trope that's predominantly added to sell future games? Again, people were mad about Corrin because they didn't know who he was, imagine a character that hasn't been playable in a Western game since the early 2000's on the Gameboy Color? If your character requires even long time gamers for most of the world to go to Google to try to figure out who they are and then expect people to buy them, that's a problem.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
While, if true, id be supremely disappointed, I’d completely understand.

I have no real reason to necessarily distrust Hitagi and Xenother, although Xenother seems to be jumping the gun a little

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon But it's not just ME, that's the issue. Dragon Quest in Smash is super alienating. The main arguments made are legacy in Japan and check boxes so at the end of the day you have the third party equivalent of Wii Fit Trainer that people actually have to pay for. Imagine if people had to pay for Lucas in Brawl. Imagine if people had to pay for Game and Watch in Melee. Hell, people still resent Corrin despite his character concept being cool AF specifically because virtually no one asked for him. Nobody cares about the history aside from the die hard fans, which we've long since established are in Japan with the 93% of the copies bought over three decades. Plus, there's clearly SE characters that have much more appeal world wide that people actually want so it's a slight on a ton of fronts.

Like I said earlier, it's a character choice that all but ignores a variety of fans and is a 98% corporate pick. In short, it's a shill. It's an enormous shill and we've simply been dancing around the word for the past couple of hours but how else do you describe a character with no personality and is through and through the silent sword using JRPG protagonist trope that's predominantly added to sell future games? Again, people were mad about Corrin because they didn't know who he was, imagine a character that hasn't been playable in a Western game since the early 2000's on the Gameboy Color? If your character requires even long time gamers for most of the world to go to Google to try to figure out who they are and then expect people to buy them, that's a problem.
#noshillsinultimate

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Sure, but just because Hitagi has sources somewhere doesn't mean that he has it everywhere. No scooper/leaker has.
And sorry, but I dismiss it because the behaviour of Xenother and Hitagi has give me nothing but reason to disbelieve them when it comes to smash DLC

D

Deleted member

I’ll admit, watching Tim Rogers’ review of Dragon Quest 11 really makes me appreciate a DQ character more. Watch it, it’s a pretty good video imo.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hitagi's leaks are fake. He outright claimed that there will be no Atlus characters.

D

Deleted member

I want it to be the other Toriyama-designed spiky haired boy more than anyone but... Erdrick is happening now boyz
ill hope for a red haired alt at the very least

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I’ll admit, watching Tim Rogers’ review of Dragon Quest 11 really makes me appreciate a DQ character more. Watch it, it’s a pretty good video imo.
I just have to say, I am currently watching it and I have a very wide grin on my face right now.

Top Bottom