• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Why are people suddenly believing leaks again? The Granblue game was already leaked many months before by Hitagi, this guy just copied there and got lucky. Also, the same guy also “leaked” Steve (with Alex alt), Rayman and Heihachi. Totally believable...
I don’t trust that leak.

I just want a new Square rep.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
I don’t trust that leak.

I just want a new Square rep.
I think the chances are really high (like 80%, but’s it’s Square, they only gave permission for 2 songs in Ultimate...). With how DLC reveal is developing, It might be Noctis.

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Getting back to Hitagi's and Vergeben's credibility, I think it is entirely possible that the Minecraft content is skins/costumes for Mii Swordfighter.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
People confuse "popularity" with "requested". Jusy because a character doesn't have a vocal fanbase saying "add X character please" doesn't mean they aren't popular.
Ken is the second character from the biggest fighting game series in existence.
Richter is easily the most popular Belmont.
Any Pokemon starter is popular unless they're Meganium.

These characters may not have been talked about within the dedicated Smash communities but they certainly had a lot of fans before their reveals.
Or Emboar

D

Deleted member

Why are people suddenly believing leaks again? The Granblue game was already leaked many months before by Hitagi, this guy just copied there and got lucky. Also, the same guy also “leaked” Steve (with Alex alt), Rayman and Heihachi. Totally believable...
That was a different leak. This one is just saying Joker and Erdrick, the one you’re talikng about was a supposed play tester being disgruntled and leaking the dlc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
He knows that Robin is part of Fire emblem right? A magic + sword user
Robin is a slow sword magic man who need to juggle between all of the tools and literally be "three step ahead" of his opponent to finish them off with the Levin sword.

Erdrick would be nothing like him, and wouldn't be clunky and slow like Robin, nor have frametraps like Arc fire or Thunder.

Just because people have fist doesn't mean they fight tje same.
Doesn't mean a sword will be used the same.
Doesn't mean magic and sword will be used the same.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Robin is a slow sword magic man who need to juggle between all of the tools and literally be "three step ahead" of his opponent to finish them off with the Levin sword.

Erdrick would be nothing like him, and wouldn't be clunky and slow like Robin, nor have frametraps like Arc fire or Thunder.

Just because people have fist doesn't mean they fight tje same.
Doesn't mean a sword will be used the same.
Doesn't mean magic and sword will be used the same.
Came off like swords where the only thing that Fire emblem had to offers which is what I reacted too.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Eldrick is just Goku Robin. Honestly though?

I mean if someone could explain without just comparing speeds (he would be faster) then I'm not convinced he'd be very unique. Hell; even Slime seems like a better choice to me. He can at least.... shape-shift?

D

Deleted member

Are we seriously at a point that magic is seen just like swords? Am I gonna have to give classes on how magic is literaply anything and everything just like how I have to explain there are different fighting styles for every type of weapon, including fists? Or do I need to explain every character in Smash uses some form of magic because it consists of any supernatural feats and different stories just call it by different names?

Untouch

Smash Master
Erdrick doesn't really have the same spells as Robin, maybe you could argue that Sizzle can function similar to Archfire, but that's about it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Are we seriously at a point that magic is seen just like swords? Am I gonna have to give classes on how magic is literaply anything and everything just like how I have to explain there are different fighting styles for every type of weapon, including fists? Or do I need to explain every character in Smash uses some form of magic because it consists of any supernatural feats and different stories just call it by different names?
I mean; if you can name a type of magic he commonly uses that's not similar to any smash character; then I'll concede that point.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac’s magical power is to be supernaturally bad in the air.

Untouch

Smash Master
Just coming up with a moveset from the spells luminary has.

As a gimmick, all of his specials require MP to use, which restores over time.

B -> Frizzle -> Similar to Lucas' PK Fire, can be charged to increase the strength to Kafrizzle which increases the size and strength.
Up B -> Zoom -> Teleport, but it isn't instant, looks like how the characters fly in DBZ as a nod.
Side B -> Bang -> A fast, higher knockback explosion where Erdrick stands.
Down B -> Snooze -> Like Jigglypuff's Sing, puts nearby enemies to sleep for a short period of time.

D

Deleted member

I know this is the DQ1’s hero’s finisher, but I hope erdrick’s final smash is something like this

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Eldrick is just Goku Robin. Honestly though?

I mean if someone could explain without just comparing speeds (he would be faster) then I'm not convinced he'd be very unique. Hell; even Slime seems like a better choice to me. He can at least.... shape-shift?
I mean, I'm not as good a Calane Calane about DQ, but I can try with the knowledge I have. It's been a while since I played the games, so bear with me.

Erdrick have the class of "Hero" unlike a lot of his party member, he cannot Class-shift. But why would he? Have have the largest arsenal at his disposal.
While Erdrick's main signatures weapons are the Sword and Shield, he also can use Club/Spears/Axes/Whip/Boomerangs (Please be this I need Eight as an Alt)
Which mean that for his aerials, or special, just like the Belmonts, he could use others weapons. His Dash attack can be a Shield bash, he could have a back air that disjoint by pulling the whip, his down air could be him going full Dragoon jump with the spears going downard.
His smash Attacks can change weapons depending on the direction. Who knows.
And that's just exemples I can think on the spot, there much more possible.

As for his magic side, Erdrick have been associated with the "Zap" spells, being the thunder element. However they're never really seen used like Robin by tome or whatever, as Erdrick Literally summon thunders from the sky so kinda like Pikachu down's B.
His Neutral B can be having a line of tiny cloud appearing on stage, and being able to push B again to summon the thunder to strike oppenent and have stage control when he need it.
He could use "Sizzle" to summon collums of Flames that can be a weak AoE attack to keep distance when in dangers
He could use "Poof" or "Zoom" as his recovery, or summon a slime to jump on it if you want to be imaginative

Erdrick can be 100% unique and that post only needed 2 minutes of thinking. So imagine what Sakurai and his team can do with months of works.

Last edited:

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
That was a different leak. This one is just saying Joker and Erdrick, the one you’re talikng about was a supposed play tester being disgruntled and leaking the dlc.
You are right, my bad. I’m still not believing it, I trust more Ryce and PolarPanda’s source claim that nobody knows the DLC.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As someone who is a huge Isaac supporter I'm sure as hell in no position to complain about getting a magic sword user lol.

Seriously though, the complaint about sword users has always been nonsense to me. Sword users can very easily fight differently from eachother. Meta-Knight fights nothing like Link, Shulk fights nothing like Robin, Corrin fights quite differently from Marth etc. I'm sure Sakurai could definitely make a DQ character unique.

So now that we know that sword users can be made unique from eachother, what else is the issue with them? Is it a variety issue? How about the fact that there are alot of punching and kicking characters? Are we going to complain about that? How about characters with guns/arm cannons?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Polar Panda is backing this up
Not true. Here is what Polar said in another thread:

I feel like that's still a fair statement to stand behind. Most of what's going around now is piecing things together. The logic of "more reliable sources are hearing Erdrick, so it must be Erdrick." On the other hand, I believe it's just as fair to hold out on that not being the case. I'm 99% sure I'll be able to get something a day or two before the next direct, maybe even before it's announced, that will solidly tell me. But for now, anything that's going around isn't from NoA, it'd have to be from somewhere else like Enix or Namco.
The fair statement is in reference to this post:

Zack E. said:
Oh, never mind then. Still, like you said, no one knows the DLC
They aren't backing up the leak. They're saying Erdrick looks likely, but nothing is at all confirmed. As someone who also thinks Erdrick is really likely, please don't spread misinformation.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Polar Panda is backing this up
Well, he can have his opinion, it doesn’t change the source’s claim. A lot of things are indeed poiting to Erdrick, we will know for sure if the new DQ will be announced at Jump Festa. If not, then Xenother is wrong and everythings fall down to square one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Everything is a shill pick. Companies don't add their characters in this game out of the good in their hearts, it's to get the most effective advertisement there is.
Konami has all this content because they need good PR after their major **** up and Capcom wasn't in the best spot with fans back when Mega Man was added.
Bayonetta was added to advertise Nintendo and SEGA's new baby.
Pac-Man was solely added because Bamco was working in the game.
And so on and on.

We don't even know who asked for Erdrick. For all we know, Nintendo speciffically asked for him and Square just said "okay"
That's... Not true at all. Simon was wanted. Megaman was wanted. Bayonetta was wanted. Even Pac-Man and Joker were wanted (Persona is actually more popular in the West than Japan). As we keep saying, Erdrick is a shill pick because virtually no one outside Japan wants him and even in Japan the evidence for strong support for any specific DQ character is weak. The best people have been able to come up with is that Japan wants Dragon Quest stuff in a very vague sense. People saying that Erdrick isn't radically different from all the other third party picks and isn't alienating is an attempt at building burning.

No, it's not all the same. DQ is very legally complicated with a minimum of 4 IP holders for the basic franchise meaning Square isn't even getting much for them in Smash. That said, it's an ad, an investment. It's the fourth attempt to get Westerners to care enough to satisfy Square. The series doesn't really even need saving and would still be a runaway success if it was a Japanese exclusive. Let's just call the situation what it is. No need to White Knight it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bayonetta was not a failing series. It was a cult series that made near a million on a flopping system. It has sense corrected that and made more on a successful system.

Get your facts correct.

Dragon Quest in Smash in this manner is nothing but Nintendo doing Square's dirty work and reaping the celebration of what Dragon Quest already achieved at the same time.

It taints what should already be a happy occasion with ****ty business practices and they deserve egg on their faces if this is what they've done.

Dragon Quest should get in because it's a legacy RPG series that wrote a lot of the formula. Not ''AND IT NEEDS HELP IN THE WEST NINTENDO. HELP US."

No, Square, you get off your *** and actually properly promote and not take the easy way out is what you do.
Fortunately we’ll never know why it was added, so you can just assume it was added for the good reason.

Lol even Vergeben can’t even with people saying there’s no moveset potential.
Just coming up with a moveset from the spells luminary has.

As a gimmick, all of his specials require MP to use, which restores over time.

B -> Frizzle -> Similar to Lucas' PK Fire, can be charged to increase the strength to Kafrizzle which increases the size and strength.
Up B -> Zoom -> Teleport, but it isn't instant, looks like how the characters fly in DBZ as a nod.
Side B -> Bang -> A fast, higher knockback explosion where Erdrick stands.
Down B -> Snooze -> Like Jigglypuff's Sing, puts nearby enemies to sleep for a short period of time.
I mean, I'm not as good a Calane Calane about DQ, but I can try with the knowledge I have. It's been a while since I played the games, so bear with me.

Erdrick have the class of "Hero" unlike a lot of his party member, he cannot Class-shift. But why would he? Have have the largest arsenal at his disposal.
While Erdrick's main signatures weapons are the Sword and Shield, he also can use Club/Spears/Axes/Whip/Boomerangs (Please be this I need Eight as an Alt)
Which mean that for his aerials, or special, just like the Belmonts, he could use others weapons. His Dash attack can be a Shield bash, he could have a back air that disjoint by pulling the whip, his down air could be him going full Dragoon jump with the spears going downard.
His smash Attacks can change weapons depending on the direction. Who knows.
And that's just exemples I can think on the spot, there much more possible.

As for his magic side, Erdrick have been associated with the "Zap" spells, being the thunder element. However they're never really seen used like Robin by tome or whatever, as Erdrick Literally summon thunders from the sky so kinda like Pikachu down's B.
His Neutral B can be having a line of tiny cloud appearing on stage, and being able to push B again to summon the thunder to strike oppenent and have stage control when he need it.
He could use "Sizzle" to summon collums of Flames that can be a weak AoE attack to keep distance when in dangers
He could use "Poof" or "Zoom" as his recovery, or summon a slime to jump on it if you want to be imaginative

Erdrick can be 100% unique and that post only needed 2 minutes of thinking. So imagine what Sakurai and his team can do with months of works.
Lol that sound like Robin clone to me.

Untouch

Smash Master
We can't have another melee user that can use magic, that's too close to Robin, that's why it needs to be Cron-
actually, wait I mean it needs to be Sor-
wait let me try again, it needs to be Sephi-
DAMNIT I'll get this one day.

D

Deleted member

We can't have another melee user that can use magic, that's too close to Robin, that's why it needs to be Cron-
Everyone is here? More like EVERYONE IS A ROBIN CLONE!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Geno is the obvious answer. Only guys without a Sword HE'S IN! :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

That's... Not true at all. Simon was wanted. Megaman was wanted. Bayonetta was wanted. Even Pac-Man and Joker were wanted (Persona is actually more popular in the West than Japan). As we keep saying, Erdrick is a shill pick because virtually no one outside Japan wants him and even in Japan the evidence for strong support for any specific DQ character is weak. The best people have been able to come up with is that Japan wants Dragon Quest stuff in a very vague sense. People saying that Erdrick isn't radically different from all the other third party picks and isn't alienating is an attempt at building burning.

No, it's not all the same. DQ is very legally complicated with a minimum of 4 IP holders for the basic franchise meaning Square isn't even getting much for them in Smash. That said, it's an ad, an investment. It's the fourth attempt to get Westerners to care enough to satisfy Square. The series doesn't really even need saving and would still be a runaway success if it was a Japanese exclusive. Let's just call the situation what it is. No need to White Knight it.
Japan loves DQ, if that isn't being wanted, I don't know what it is. Just because the west, in particular "doesn't care"(when that isn't true either, DQ is far from a flop here) doesn't mean it's unpopular. The world doesn't revolve around just what the west wants.

And where, exactly, is your evidence that Erdrick would be a "shill pick"? This is purely speculation on your part.

D

Deleted member

I can't wait for that P5 port to be announced and see how many people will call Joker a shill pick.
Spoiler: there will be none.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I can't wait for that P5 port to be announced and see how many people will call Joker a shill pick.
Spoiler: there will be none.
Oh, I am begging for that P5 port to happen. Of course because it is a great game and everyone should get a chance to enjoy it, but I want to see how this will play out with the "shill" argument.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Japan loves DQ, if that isn't being wanted, I don't know what it is. Just because the west, in particular "doesn't care"(when that isn't true either, DQ is far from a flop here) doesn't mean it's unpopular. The world doesn't revolve around just what the west wants.

And where, exactly, is your evidence that Erdrick would be a "shill pick"? This is purely speculation on your part.
How is he not? Again, a super legally complicated character that Square will barely make money on because they would have to split profits between a whopping 7 IP holders (Nintendo, Namco, Square Enix, Armor Project, Bird Studio, Koichi Sugiyama, and Heart Beat) that will likely not appear in Smash again for this sole reason so you basically have a character from the ground up as a one and done. That said, they're going the wet spaghetti against a wall route ala Fire Emblem. If it sticks, the West cares enough about DQ to finally satisfy Square. If not, well, it's still a cultural giant in Japan. Sakurai has said time and time again that international appeal is important but this is definitely the odd man out. As shown many times before, it's huge in Japan but kind of meh on its best days everywhere else, like Dynasty Warriors.

The ulterior motives are pretty upfront especially with people having to revert to super vague statements like "Japan loves DQ" because Erdrick support (or any specific DQ character for that matter) is a total ghost for the most part. I mean, people love Resident Evil too and that's a series with a definite legacy that actually has more equal worldwide appeal and characters people actively want to a noticable degree. This same argument could be made for a lot of series. Dragon Quest is definitely the odd man out to a significant degree, overwhelmingly more popular in Japan than anywhere else with no real front runner that's even a blip on the radar of people who actually care about this sort of thing. It would be different if the worldwide appeal was more balanced (again 93% sales in Japan, literally one country) and literally anyone from Dragon Quest had notable backing and fan support but its not and that's just how it is. Trust me, no one is picking on and being a "bully" to the probably billion dollar franchise by pointing out the elephant in the room.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Well, he can have his opinion, it doesn’t change the source’s claim. A lot of things are indeed poiting to Erdrick, we will know for sure if the new DQ will be announced at Jump Festa. If not, then Xenother is wrong and everythings fall down to square one.
For the billionth time. I did not say that Erdrick was going to be announced at Jump Festa.

Top Bottom