• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
It still sells in the west, so there is an audience for it.
Also best case, nobody will fight me because its the truth
There definitely is an audience trust me, I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan if I didn't make that obvious already but the audience is pretty niche over here compared to Japan, since most people prefer the style of KH/modern Final Fantasy games or the way the older FF games did turn based

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There definitely is an audience trust me, I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan if I didn't make that obvious already but the audience is pretty niche over here compared to Japan, since most people prefer the style of KH/modern Final Fantasy games or the way the older FF games did turn based
I'd argue that it's not even just the gameplay. It's the medieval themes and such that turns Western audiences off.

Look at how the reaction to FF9 is compared to say FF7 or anything of that ilk.

9 is a great game, but I've met quite a few people who really really don't like 9 simply because everything is so much more old school.

I think this also ties into why certain people get uppity about Fire Emblem in Smash as well. While it's certain grown in success and the like, a lot of people just see a bunch of swordsmen in medieval armor and think that's all there is to Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have a question to all of you DQ fans out there, why is it that DQ has not caught on outside of Japan? I mean, it is here, but it is certainly not anything close to the icon it is in Japan. I am also curious as of how FF was able to outpace it in that regard.
In the past there was the belief that Toriyama's art (especially for the Monsters) was too kiddy.

But I think any series that skipped the SNES shot themselves in the foot. After 4 games on the NES, in an age where jRPGs were a bizarre breed, I don't blame Enix for giving up localizing them when the SNES came along.
Huge mistake.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sorry if I didn't get what you meant about wording better.

The main issue I see is that you're preemptively thinking a character you don't seem to care would be hated because he's from a similar archetype that's been used a lot and you heard a lot of complains. Even if the sales are 95%-5% relating to Japan and the West it still makes the franchise have a good presence, which is pretty similar to how MH was selling previous to World (MH4U was about 2.5-3m copies in Japan compared to 1-1.5 in the west for example). I don't really have any marketing knowledge at all, but I think considering the few trailers we've gotten Nintendo can pull something to get people behind any character they are selling that being Geno, Erdrick, Sora, etc. I also think Erdrick if he is being in, he would have a moveset that would easily set him apart from other swordsmen.
Like I said in earlier comments, I might be a pessimistic skeptic, but I can only speak base on what I have heard and seen when it comes to Smash Brothers, and with what I've seen and heard, he would come off as negative. I wish I had more data that would see a more positive basis. Also, I have to disagree that 5% is a good presence... But maybe that's just me.

Just to summarize why I think it will go bad if he got announced.

A) It's a WHO here in the West.
B) Square has two of the most demanded characters. It's one thing for Sora and Geno fans to "lose" towards someone like Cloud because those fans know how big Cloud is. But I can't see people being as "okay this makes sense" towards Erdick due to point A. Especially if the word got out that Square used Smash in order to promote Dragon Quest.
C) I'm not arguing about his moveset potential. I'm just saying that unless I have missed an extreme good chunk, I think you and the rest are underestimating the "there is to many anime swordsmen" hate boner that goes around.
D) If people realize that Nintendo has talked to Son Goku's creator, but ended up with someone like Erdick, there will be a **** ton of "F Nintendo we want Goku not this".

Don't get me wrong.. I want to be wrong, even though I'm not a fan of the idea of getting Erdick for reasons like "obvious marketing over fan-demand". I want Erdick to go over well for his fans sake, would he so join. But I just can't see it happening due to everything I previously mentioned.

I think this also ties into why certain people get uppity about Fire Emblem in Smash as well. While it's certain grown in success and the like, a lot of people just see a bunch of swordsmen in medieval armor and think that's all there is to Fire Emblem.
I think you nail on the head with this one

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Look DQ fans, gonna be real with ya
17's hair is only cool because it's with 17
If you remove 17 its not cool anymore.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, this is exactly what it is, even worse now that western gamers are preferring ARPGs like KH and FFXV to traditional Turn-Based games. A turn-based game like Persona 5 needs to have a flashy style, innovative and such to keep people interested, but DQ is that old grandpa that doesn't change.
I do think style is what caused attention to spike for Persona when 5 came about. I mean, just look at the intro of PQ2. I have been watching this all day, I am not joking.
(Spoilers on party members for P3, 4, and 5, but the boxart and advertising(Heck, even those games into's) does that anyway for some of these games, so eh)

Last edited:

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Hi, hello. what is troper tales?
Other than a window into hell?

Basically, it was a feature on TvTropes where users could add examples of tropes from their own lives. Most of them involved embarrassing personal stories, really weird flexes, and "fun" facts about themselves that absolutely nobody needed to know (usually involving their... interests)

Its removal was unsurprising, to say the least.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have a question to all of you DQ fans out there, why is it that DQ has not caught on outside of Japan? I mean, it is here, but it is certainly not anything close to the icon it is in Japan. I am also curious as of how FF was able to outpace it in that regard.
I think poor marketing, but also Western audiences’ appetite for either ARPGs, strong stories in JRPGs, or at least flashy style (see Persona 5, Octopath Traveler). Dragon Quest, with its cheerful art style and music, relatively simple mechanics and medieval setting doesn’t stand out from the generic turn-based RPG in people’s minds (even though nowadays a game like Dragon Quest is rare).

I’m seeing a hunger for a more traditional RPG and people seem to be getting tired of the new style of JRPG (Final Fantasy, Xenoblade), so I think Dragon Quest has a great chance to break into the western market.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not giving a pass, because I think he could have handled it better. But I react that people act like it's not a legit reason for not being comfortable of the thoughts of supporting DQ because of the composer and act like he is a crybaby because of it when we all most likely have something we don't support because of a personal reason.
Don't get me wrong, if you don't want to support Sugimiya because of his beliefs that's fine with me. I personally disagree with it as he's only one part of a larger series, but I understand why others would be uncomfortable supporting him. Voting with your wallet is a perfectly fine practice and I won't fault anyone for doing so.

The problem is that his views extend beyond that into unreasonable hatred and generalization that the entire Dragon Quest fanbase consists of nazis and bigots. His bias towards Geno doesn't help things either as it makes what could be a serious point come off more as an attempt to discredit Dragon Quest in favor of Geno.
I'm no more stirring things than any other person who brings up an argument in this thread. I just come off a lot more vitriol because I have some personal stakes/bias in who I want the Square Rep to be.
Buddy.

I could write you an entire essay about how much I want Sora. Kingdom Hearts as a series is extremely important to me, and has played a pivotal role in my life, even getting me through some of the roughest parts of my life. I personally resonate with the characters and the themes of dark and light and struggling to balance the two. I've bought consoles solely to play Kingdom Hearts games. I bought the Playstation 3 at least 5 years ago because I thought Kingdom Hearts 3 would release on it, and I even call my Playstation 4 the Kingdom Hearts machine. I can't estimate how much time I've spent playing the series since I've played it so much. I've played through Kingdom Hearts 2 at least six different times over the years, and I constantly go back to it and other games in the series. Don't talk to me about personal stakes.

The only difference between you and I is that I can put my bias aside, engage in civil discussion, and challenge ideas instead of bashing them. You should try it sometime. I feel you'd get a lot more respect if you did.
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon If Geno's like Bernie Sanders, does that make Erdrick more like Hillary or Trump?
I'd say Hillary, especially if Square Enix deliberately pushed him forward over other characters.
Sora's absolutely Hillary
Sora's more like Joe Biden or Beto O'rourke. A lot of people want him, but it's likely not going to happen. Maybe Trump because no one thinks it's going to happen until it does and everyone is baffled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like I said in earlier comments, I might be a pessimistic skeptic, but I can only speak base on what I have heard and seen when it comes to Smash Brothers, and with what I've seen and heard, he would come off as negative. I wish I had more data that would see a more positive basis. Also, I have to disagree that 5% is a good presence... But maybe that's just me.

Just to summarize why I think it will go bad if he got announced.

A) It's a WHO here in the West.
B) Square has two of the most demanded characters. It's one thing for Sora and Geno fans to "lose" towards someone like Cloud because those fans know how big Cloud is. But I can't see people being as "okay this makes sense" towards Erdick due to point A. Especially if the word got out that Square used Smash in order to promote Dragon Quest.
C) I'm not arguing about his moveset potential. I'm just saying that unless I have missed an extreme good chunk, I think you and the rest are underestimating the "there is to many anime swordsmen" hate boner that goes around.
D) If people realize that Nintendo has talked to Son Goku's creator, but ended up with someone like Erdick, there will be a **** ton of "F Nintendo we want Goku not this".

Don't get me wrong.. I want to be wrong, even though I'm not a fan of the idea of getting Erdick for reasons like "obvious marketing over fan-demand". I want Erdick to go over well for his fans sake, would he so join. But I just can't see it happening due to everything I previously mentioned.
Lets just agree to disagree, I think we have dragged this for a while and there is no change in opinion. I think that if Nintendo handles it well which in my personal opinion they have handled most of the characters, people will like Erdrick, but if you don't think so there's no much to do about it considering we have yet to wait and see about what happens. If Erdrick is in I hope reception is well, if its any other SE character I hope they have a good reception as well no matter if they are anime swordsmen or not.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Casual reminder that DQVIII, IX and XI all sold over a million in the West. It's not some Z tier franchise no one has heard of over here
What the hell is going on in this thread
Geno circlejerk

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
*a fanrule gets broken*
With the fanrule broken, all the opressed following shall prosper, especially the most opressed following of all, Geno's

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The problem is that his views extend beyond that into unreasonable hatred and generalization that the entire Dragon Quest fanbase consists of nazis and bigots. His bias towards Geno doesn't help things either as it makes what could be a serious point come off more as an attempt to discredit Dragon Quest in favor of Geno.
While I see what you mean, ever thought of the fact that's it's a reaction/defense bubble that has been created because of the flack he got from the start?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Lets just agree to disagree, I think we have dragged this for a while and there is no change in opinion. I think that if Nintendo handles it well which in my personal opinion they have handled most of the characters, people will like Erdrick, but if you don't think so there's no much to do about it considering we have yet to wait and see about what happens. If Erdrick is in I hope reception is well, if its any other SE character I hope they have a good reception as well no matter if they are anime swordsmen or not.
That works for me, and I hope you right. Hope you see where I coming from at least.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm feeling that you want a character more for the potential moveset(a moveset completely unrelated to Crono as time traveller =/= time manipulator) rather than liking the character. Crono has a lot of moves with magic, swords, and techs in combination with party members to create a satisfying moveset, there is no need to add something totally unrelated to the character. If you haven't played CT, I would recommend it. It's 15-20 hrs long, and is one of the greatest JRPGS on the SNES.
lmao, again… since when me explaining to someone who began talking about the time travel thing, could work, means I want or need a character due to moveset potential? I'm just explaining things because some people didn't think of the possibility of such idea (time travel) being implemented in some fashion/way. Don't make up ideas from me simply explaining how things could work. I like Crono but he is not even in my personal wish list. And god knows none of the characters i have wanted or still want to be in smash, had anything to do with their movesets. I was just replying to someone who couldn't think of how something specific could work, that's all, nothing more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lmao, again… since when me explaining to someone who began talking about the time travel thing, could work, means I want or need a character due to moveset potential? I'm just explaining things because some people didn't think of the possibility of such idea (time travel) being implemented in some fashion/way. Don't make up ideas from me simply explaining how things could work. God knows none of the characters i have wanted or still want to be in smash, had anything to do with their movesets. I was just replying to someone who couldn't think of how something could work, that's all.
Sorry if I misunderstood your intention, CT is one of my favorite games and one of the most unique aspects are the double and triple techs and Crono has quite good toolkit even without them. Time travel being used is something that I feel that Crono doesn't particularly need, then again sorry but its something that I got worked about.

beans

Smash Lord
Well then Merry Christmas for everybody here and whoever isnt.
Or eve. I dont understand Jesus day or timezones.

Top Bottom