• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I love these pictures that are floating around. Seen one for every character except Pokemon trainer and Chrom. Reminds me somewhat of glass painting style for some reason

Edit... gaaah I don't know why It won't show but here is the link to it https://i.pinimg.com/564x/cb/58/23/cb582338fc6482a64d9bd6ecceb0243b.jpg
It's based off of the Tarot cards. "The Storm" is not an official type of card, but it is still cool. Kinda going to need to stretch things in order to include everyone. Funny enough, the Tarot cards play a big factor in the Persona series.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/quas-quas/art/SMASH-Major-Arcana-518565264

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
At least for Dragon Quest, there aren't too many themes I care about, so I won't feel offended for a limited soundtrack.
Not gonna lie, I've not been super impressed with the DQ series music as a whole, but when there is a good track It's reaaaally good. Personally, as Long as we get the World Map theme from DQ3, the battle theme from DQ3, Hero's Challenge, the DQ8 battle theme and, of course, the DQ Overture then I'll be more than happy.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's based off of the Tarot cards. "The Storm" is not an official type of card, but it is still cool. Kinda going to need to stretch things in order to include everyone. Funny enough, the Tarot cards play a big factor in the Persona series.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/quas-quas/art/SMASH-Major-Arcana-518565264
This picture makes me want to see a Super Smash Bros card game. I mean, we have Fire emblem Chipper (CAN WE PLEASE GET A WESTERN RELEASE OF THAT YET) and the Pokemon Trading Card games. Come on Nintendo, you are a toy company at heart... make it happen

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This picture makes me want to see a Super Smash Bros card game. I mean, we have Fire emblem Chipper (CAN WE PLEASE GET A WESTERN RELEASE OF THAT YET) and the Pokemon Trading Card games. Come on Nintendo, you are a toy company at heart... make it happen
Heck, the company got its start making hanafuda cards. If anything though, this just makes me want a more Persona X Smash Bros styled game from Atlus. We got a SMT X FE game, so why not that?

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, gotta go to a party, so I probably won't be around here for the rest of the day.
Merry Christmas for y'all!

Iridium

Smash Hero
SE really has that many characters that would be good additions, huh. I do still want Erdrick the most, but I wouldn't be upset at Crono either, if that happened. Crono probably won't be seen as much aside from a nostalgia pick, though.

I think I'd get carried away with my wants now.

Last edited:

Lunacial

Smash Cadet
View attachment 184305

#LuminaryLovers when a DLC character trailer drops and they immediately see a set of hair resembling the McDonald's logo and realize they won
this post ****ing killed me man

God, this thread has my goofy self laughing so ridiculously hard right now, wtf. Can I just say I'm practically rooting for every Square rep right now, even the ones I don't personally want because I just want as many of y'all to be happy with the decisions as possible? It honestly makes me feel better about my personal pick, Geno, likely not making it this time. You're all great folk.

I don't know. I just feel really sappy and jovial tonight. Christmas season does that, I guess. Keep being awesome, Square thread peeps.
Same here lol, before coming here I admit I was pretty against anyone other than a DQ character getting in but being here made me loosen up and realize it isn't that big of a deal who gets in, and even though I still really really want a DQ rep in the game I support everyone on here and will be happy for the fans of those characters if the one they want gets in!

Oh, and since Christmas is almost here and I'll be off before it is officially here (for me at least), have a great Christmas everyone!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Surprised people have not been noting it, but we are about to hit the 100th page of this thread. Quite impressive, considering threads like this don't typically get that far.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
A weird thing about Erdrick and other DQ protags I haven't seen pointed out yet is how in most games that use older characters, they don't really use the main playable ones (DQ Heroes and Fortune street come to mind) so Smash actually doing a Hero for a change is pretty unique by DQ standards. I think they'd point this out and make a deal out of it in a direct (especially if its a bowser jr koopaling situation)

D

Deleted member

A weird thing about Erdrick and other DQ protags I haven't seen pointed out yet is how in most games that use older characters, they don't really use the main playable ones (DQ Heroes and Fortune street come to mind) so Smash actually doing a Hero for a change is pretty unique by DQ standards. I think they'd point this out and make a deal out of it in a direct (especially if its a bowser jr koopaling situation)
I... never actually made that connection lol
That makes me wonder if we could get a party member instead of a main protagonist. My guess would be Erik from DQ11 or Alena from DQ4.

Last edited by a moderator:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm down with a second Square Enix character, while i lean a bit more towards a second FF rep, preferably from the Famicom/Super Famicom era (Terra, Black Mage, Warrior of Light, etc.), a DQ rep would probably bring more because is the introduction of a new yet legendary franchise to Smash, and having a character designed by Toriyama himself would be just perfect.

I'm not very familiar with DQ but i feel like a character from the series could bring an unique playstyle, after all Sakurai and his team seem to come up with a moveset for anything lol, but i wonder if they can have references to multiple DQ games on Erdrick's moveset?

Edit: also i'd love for a Bravely Default/Second character.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I... never actually made that connection lol
That makes me wonder if we could get a party member instead of a main protagonist. My guess would be Erik from DQ11 or Alena from DQ4.
I mean, is DQ known for it's side characters like some other series are?

D

Deleted member

I'm down with a second Square Enix character, while i lean a bit more towards a second FF rep, preferably from the Famicom/Super Famicom era (Terra, Black Mage, Warrior of Light, etc.), a DQ rep would probably bring more because is the introduction of a new yet legendary franchise to Smash, and having a character designed by Toriyama himself would be just perfect.

I'm not very familiar with DQ but i feel like a character from the series could bring a unique playstyle, after all Sakurai and his team seem to come up with a moveset for anything lol, but i wonder if they can have references to multiple DQ games on Erdrick's moveset?
Probably. Pulling abilities from other characters for one character is already within possibility (see Simon).
I mean, is DQ known for it's side characters like some other series are?
I wouldn't quite say "known for", but of course a fully realized character would resonate more with people more than a silent protagonist lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wouldn't quite say "known for", but of course a fully realized character would resonate more with people more than a silent protagonist lol
True, but is there any characters that have reached any higher degree of recognition? For example, Aigis from P3 or the Black Mage's from FF.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
True, but is there any characters that have reached any higher degree of recognition? For example, Aigis from P3 or the Black Mage's from FF.
I'd say the DQ8 party are fairly well known, and are used quite often in spinoffs, Yangus even gets his own game.

D

Deleted member

Not really, aside from Slime lol
I'd say the DQ8 party are fairly well known, and are used quite often in spinoffs, Yangus even gets his own game.
Ehh I disagree, though that may just be from what I've seen myself. They're the most well known characters for sure but I didn't really think they went beyond DQ within their popularity. Like I said though I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Surprised people have not been noting it, but we are about to hit the 100th page of this thread. Quite impressive, considering threads like this don't typically get that far.
Smashboards thread literally too angry to die.

More news at 11.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thread even heated sometimes has been relatively civil and there have been a few laughs like the US politics comparison. Lets be honest, the SE picks from the list sound pretty good and even if someone is leaning to certain franchises, overall I don't think there is any bad choice.
Slime aka the DQ Goomba which is funny as it had a few spinoffs which are pretty funny. Among party members a few had spinoffs from the top of my head: Kiefer from VII, Terry from VI, Alena from IV who even had her own manga spinoff, Erik from XI is getting one in the future. And a few of them appear in the monopolyesque title Fortune Street.

D

Deleted member

This thread really didn't need anywhere near 100 pages but here we are so I say lock it once we get to 101 for good luck

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Torneko from DQ4 is very popular. Yuji Horii made note of this when asked at the DQ panel at the convention I went to. The guy has his own series of games with 3 in said series. He's also in DQ heroes 2 and Fortune Street.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was curious and decided to look up the characters they included for Fortune Street. Those characters were...
Angelo Dragon Quest VIII
Bianca from Dragon Quest V
The Dragonlord from the first Dragon Quest
Jessica Albert from Dragon Quest VIII
Kiryl from Dragon Quest IV
The Princess of Moonbrooke from Dragon Quest II
Slime from multiple Dragon Quest games
Stella from Dragon Quest IX
Tsarevna Alena from Dragon Quest IV
Yangus from Dragon Quest VIII
Carver from Dragon Quest VI
Plattypunk from multiple Dragon Quest games
Patty from multiple Dragon Quest games
Is there any character that catches your guys eyes as being a possible fighter candidate?

D

Deleted member

I was curious and decided to look up the characters they included for Fortune Street. Those characters were...
Angelo Dragon Quest VIII
Is there any character that catches your guys eyes as being a possible fighter candidate?
Alena, Jessica, and Yangus are the most popular characters on there by a good margin (aside from the regular monsters) (I also kind of want to throw in Angelo but I'm not sure since from what I've seen the other two DQ8 lads are much more popular).

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Angelo Dragon Quest VIII
If you add just the DQ8 Hero you can have all 3 DQ8 party members appear in a final smash or something lol (I can dream)

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
This thread really didn't need anywhere near 100 pages but here we are so I say lock it once we get to 101 for good luck
Welcome to the Square-Enix thread, we run exclusively on salt and ****posting :p

Tbh this thread kinda made me warm up to the idea of any of these characters being in Smash. Was never that big of a Geno or Erdrick fan prior to this thread, but now I have a weird attachment to all the characters on this list after witnessing this whole thing unfold (yes this even includes Luminary). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go back to writing my 300 page slow burn enemies-to-lovers Geno x Erdrick fanfic.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Angelo Dragon Quest VIII
Torneko was also in a Fortune Street game.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I know ya'll feel that Sora fans are against Erdrick fans in a "yours got in over mine" kind of sense but my gripes hold more that Erdrick gets in over 2B along with Sora.

I know a lot of people feel that DQ "deserves" the spot because of its longstanding Nintendo history and so on but I feel like Joker getting in over an SMT character with those same parameters (and, yknow, Cloud) kind of alludes that this isn't the case.

Mind you, this is all conjecture since we're only 1 of 5 characters revealed in the pass but I feel that Nintendo is really going for the mega-blockbuster names this time.

I hope I don't come off as the "blargh, I hate Dragon Quest" type, but given that this is a Square general thread, I find this place grossly imbalanced. Nevertheless, I wish you all well and may the best Squeenix win.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know ya'll feel that Sora fans are against Erdrick fans in a "yours got in over mine" kind of sense but my gripes hold more that Erdrick gets in over 2B along with Sora.

I know a lot of people feel that DQ "deserves" the spot because of its longstanding Nintendo history and so on but I feel like Joker getting in over an SMT character with those same parameters (and, yknow, Cloud) kind of alludes that this isn't the case.

Mind you, this is all conjecture since we're only 1 of 5 characters revealed in the pass but I feel that Nintendo is really going for the mega-blockbuster names this time.

I hope I don't come off as the "blargh, I hate Dragon Quest" type, but given that this is a Square general thread, I find this place grossly imbalanced. Nevertheless, I wish you all well and may the best Squeenix win.
Wait, what? Sora fans have been largely dismissed, and the main issue is between Dragon Quest fans (and people playing Devil's Advocate) and Geno fans who are against Dragon Quest. Even then, most people are okay with any of the choices, with only a few being against it in a "your's got in over mine" sense.

Also, according to a press release from Nintendo, Joker represents Persona AND Shin Megami Tensei, so that point of your's is largely moot. Dragon Quest IS mega-blockbuster, just not in America or Europe. However, the inclusion of a Dragon Quest character would be absolutely huge in Japan, and is a great opportunity to market the series overseas if Square Enix chooses to pursue that option.

I wouldn't really call this thread imbalanced given that all characters have been argued about and a consensus seems to have been reached about most of them, with the back and forth discussion being about Dragon Quest. This is why it might seem imbalanced I guess.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wait, what? Sora fans have been largely dismissed, and the main issue is between Dragon Quest fans (and people playing Devil's Advocate) and Geno fans who are against Dragon Quest. Even then, most people are okay with any of the choices, with only a few being against it in a "your's got in over mine" sense.

Also, according to a press release from Nintendo, Joker represents Persona AND Shin Megami Tensei, so that point of your's is largely moot. Dragon Quest IS mega-blockbuster, just not in America or Europe. However, the inclusion of a Dragon Quest character would be absolutely huge in Japan, and is a great opportunity to market the series overseas if Square Enix chooses to pursue that option.

I wouldn't really call this thread imbalanced given that all characters have been argued about and a consensus seems to have been reached about most of them, with the back and forth discussion being about Dragon Quest. This is why it might seem imbalanced I guess.
Geno fan* against Dragon Quest winky face

The thread has become very nice and balanced and calm lately and I really appreciate that.
Hopefully we can keep this up for the months to come.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

I feel we've hit the ceiling as far as discussion goes with out people chiming in how much they dislike a franchise and what not we've said everything I think there needs to be said about the 7 characters on the list and for 2b she'd be awesome and I'd love for her to be in but to be honest I'd rather see Dante in before her it wouldn't feel right if she got in before him lol

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Angelo Dragon Quest VIII
Oh **** yeah Plattypunk for Smash.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Also, according to a press release from Nintendo, Joker represents Persona AND Shin Megami Tensei, so that point of your's is largely moot.
Regarding this part in particular, I don't bringing this article is having the effect that you're hoping for. They're more just starting some minor information about the Persona series. Yes, Persona is a spinoff of SMT but that's about as effective of saying, as an example, Mona Pizza from Warioware represents the Mario series.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Regarding this part in particular, I don't bringing this article is having the effect that you're hoping for. They're more just starting some minor information about the Persona series. Yes, Persona is a spinoff of SMT but that's about as effective of saying, as an example, Mona Pizza from Warioware represents the Mario series.
Sakurai said similar things about Cloud and Final Fantasy though.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Correct. That goes back to my earlier statement of how they chose Cloud over a Nintendo era FF character.
Well he is the most popular final fantasy characters but for Nintendo ff he's the worst as he signifies the end of Nintendo and Squares relationship but I think it as a peace makeing thing ya know I can't explain it well but it kinda comes full circle with him being in

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Regarding this part in particular, I don't think bringing this article is having the effect that you're hoping for. They're more just starting some minor information about the Persona series. Yes, Persona is a spinoff of SMT but that's about as effective of saying, as an example, Mona Pizza from Warioware represents the Mario series.
Not really; I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying here.

You state that Joker getting in invalidates the idea of Dragon Quest getting in based off of legacy. However, this can't be true if Joker represents the Shin Megami Tensei series, which is cited as having a long relationship with Nintendo in the press release. Extending your point to Cloud, both of them represent series with historic ties to Nintendo. Dragon Quest has a similar, if not more so historic and solid relationship with Nintendo, so there's no reason for it to be excluded according to your logic.

If anything, you're arguing as to why Luminary is more likely than Erdrick given that he's (currently) strongly associated with Sony, but even then Erdrick is the Cloud (read: most popular character) of his series, and rumors are saying that Luminary is an alt for Erdrick, so we'd likely get both anyways.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Luminary as an alt tastes like when people "leaked" that Soren or Celica would be a Robin echo. Rumors say a lot of things. Too many things.

Top Bottom