• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I don't think we're ever quite going to get a Cloud situation again. The only thing that comes close is Erdrick (DQ) with Lloyd/Yuri (Tales) trailing behind. If your game series has multiple protagonists, I'd see your latest one having the best shot.

Excluding those two, it wouldn't surprise me if the next characters are just the most recent and popular characters from within a franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welcome to the Square-Enix thread, we run exclusively on salt and ****posting :p

Tbh this thread kinda made me warm up to the idea of any of these characters being in Smash. Was never that big of a Geno or Erdrick fan prior to this thread, but now I have a weird attachment to all the characters on this list after witnessing this whole thing unfold (yes this even includes Luminary). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go back to writing my 300 page slow burn enemies-to-lovers Geno x Erdrick fanfic.
Gonna need to see that for... research reasons.
Oh **** yeah Plattypunk for Smash.
Perfection. Final smash can be the tank from Rocket Slime.
Honestly, I don't think we're ever quite going to get a Cloud situation again. The only thing that comes close is Erdrick (DQ) with Lloyd/Yuri (Tales) trailing behind. If your game series has multiple protagonists, I'd see your latest one having the best shot.

Excluding those two, it wouldn't surprise me if the next characters are just the most recent and popular characters from within a franchise.
I was thinking the same thing honestly. Seeing as some characters sort of go beyond the merits of their own franchise or are just a major character within their series it does make the most sense.

Anyways fellas I'm not sure how much I'm gonna be on today lol. Hope everyone has a good Christmas!

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
When I think about it, Crono is the best of both worlds when it comes to Geno and Erdrick. You get a legacy 16 bit era RPG game represented with a robust soundtrack, and a swordsman character designed by Akira Toriyama.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This thread is too calm and civil. Everybody shout at each other, I don’t like this.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I've said before, if Erdrick is in I think seeing him in action is what would warm people up to him more. I trust Sakurai to make him completely unique if he does happen.
I can agree. Before King K. Rool got into Smash, I could've cared less about him. But starting from his reveal to his trailer to the present here, he's so awesome that I've become a fan and an advocate for getting him in the Kremlings back into the DK series as the main villains!

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
This thread is too calm and civil. Everybody shout at each other, I don’t like this.
I'll have you know that I am hype as **** for KH3. I'm still debating whether I should buy physical or digital because I just got a $50 PSN gift card for Christmas. If you think going to Tahiti and farming mangos is better, you are literally Xehanort.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
All 7 on the Squenix list seem to deserve a spot, so while I'm really hoping for Geno, I hope the fans of the character who gets in enjoys them.

Also, I'm thinking of buying the mobile port of Dragon Quest 3 just in case Erdrick is the DLC, so I can get familiar with him and not just be mad it wasn't Geno lol. Would that be the best game to experience Erdrick?

D

Deleted member

All 7 on the Squenix list seem to deserve a spot, so while I'm really hoping for Geno, I hope the fans of the character who gets in enjoys them.

Also, I'm thinking of buying the mobile port of Dragon Quest 3 just in case Erdrick is the DLC, so I can get familiar with him and not just be mad it wasn't Geno lol. Would that be the best game to experience Erdrick?
I would say play 1-3 in that order, but just 3 is fine too. The mobile ports are the best we currently have now lol, enjoy dude

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
As a Ge
Wait, what? Sora fans have been largely dismissed, and the main issue is between Dragon Quest fans (and people playing Devil's Advocate) and Geno fans who are against Dragon Quest. Even then, most people are okay with any of the choices, with only a few being against it in a "your's got in over mine" sense.
Don't turn this against us Geno fans. I'd rather have Erdrick 1000x over Sora anyday. Most of the time, we have been providing logistical arguments regarding Dragon Quest's image in the west but Geno fans have never said anything super vile against Erdrick fans.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
If i'm going to be honest here, if we do get a DQ rep, i'm hoping it's Slime. At first, i wasn't fond of the idea of him getting in, but after some thought, i'd accept the blob. In my opinion, he'd bring a more unique moveset with him than Erdrick. The thing with Erdrick is that Crono could do everything he does, but better. Thunder magic and Techs appeal to me more than what Erdrick has to offer.

But hey, this is just my opinion. Merry Christmas/whatever you're celebrating!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Merry Christmas y'all. This has been a fun few days. Nothing like jokes and talks about some fun games to really lift the spirits.

Fun semi-related update but Nintendo has started putting ads for Joker on YouTube videos. Someone in the Joker discord got one and we are hypothesizing it might mean Joker is dropping sooner than expected.

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas y'all. This has been a fun few days. Nothing like jokes and talks about some fun games to really lift the spirits.

Fun semi-related update but Nintendo has started putting ads for Joker on YouTube videos. Someone in the Joker discord got one and we are hypothesizing it might mean Joker is dropping sooner than expected.
Got a link to the video?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Luminary as an alt tastes like when people "leaked" that Soren or Celica would be a Robin echo. Rumors say a lot of things. Too many things.
To be fair, There's no reason for either of them to be an Echo of Robin, especially Soren. There's a difference in regards to Luminary, and it's because he can literally do everything Erdrick can since that's the nature of Dragon Quest Protagonists.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be fair, There's no reason for either of them to be an Echo of Robin, especially Soren. There's a difference in regards to Luminary, and it's because he can literally do everything Erdrick can since that's the nature of Dragon Quest Protagonists.
I have to disagree. Celica would she so be added be a perfect echo to Robin, I dare even say the one that makes sense would Sakurai give Soren an echo.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I have to disagree. Celica would she so be added be a perfect echo to Robin, I dare even say the one that makes sense would Sakurai give Soren an echo.
You can make a case for Celica, but even then, without Ragnarok, it's not worth it to include her

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Celica doesn't even use tomes to cast magic, has a signature sword, has a different frame, and comes from a game without weapon durability. There's no reason for her to be a Robin Echo.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You can make a case for Celica, but even then, without Ragnarok, it's not worth it to include her
Who isn't to say that Ragnarok could be her FS? I mean, Chrom has a totally different recovery then Roy, so who is to say that she needs Alm to be her "Chrom" so to speak.

Celica can be an echo when she stars in a better game than Echoes
Come one.. I mean, Echoes was a major disappointment and certainly not the next coming of Naga like some purist acts like it is. But it isn't a bad game per say. Celica is dumb as a brink in that game though through her naive nature.

Celica doesn't even use tomes to cast magic, has a signature sword, has a different frame, and comes from a game without weapon durability. There's no reason for her to be a Robin Echo.
You could basically make her Pichu. Have weaker melee, but stronger magic, but instead of durability, she deals damage to herself, just like how life drains hp in Echoes. Maybe that's something that wouldn't make her being in Echo territory I don't know.. but then again, the echo seems to be in an extremely blurry situation.

StormC

Smash Hero
When I think about it, Crono is the best of both worlds when it comes to Geno and Erdrick. You get a legacy 16 bit era RPG game represented with a robust soundtrack, and a swordsman character designed by Akira Toriyama.
I like CT but I’d only want Crono in Smash if he brought his much more interesting party members alongside him.

StormC

Smash Hero
Persona 5 rerelease has been rumored for a while before that 2ch post anyway.

Untouch

Smash Master
I want to say it's notable that they guessed the names of the ports (a lot of people were saying it'd be called Persona 5 Crimson), but these domains were registered in 2017, so it's hard to tell if this is just piggybacking or not.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Persona 5 rerelease has been rumored for a while before that 2ch post anyway.
Exactly. The only leak that truly can give us some evidence that Erdick is in, is that supposed leak (maybe it's the same I don't remember) that claims to know the stage and moves of both Erdick and Joker. If that leak is right about the Joker part, then I think it safe to expect Erdick.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
In terms of the 5ch leak, I once again have to bring up the 4chan TGA leak that got a lot of things accurate, yet it gave false info in regards to Smash (as in, entirely missing Joker's announcement and claiming Metroid info instead). The P5R thing was already highly rumored and speculated, so I can't say I'm surprised (although I am pleased to see that's definitely happening).

I still think we're getting Erdrick and this does help the leak's credibility, but again, keep your expectations tempered. Even with getting some info 100% right, leakers didn't get Joker. Nintendo's been playing it smart.

Top Bottom