• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can't confirm Erdrick with this because I can only say that the Atlus info is 99% real. Leaving that 1% in there because it's from a single source, but they are connected deeply to Atlus so I feel like they are completely reliable here. They do not have Smash info, so perhaps that part of the leak was just fake stuff thrown in. I will say I think that it boosts Erdrick's odds a bit by association, but it does not guarantee of him or anything.
Which is pretty common among leakers honestly. For example, Jon from Game Explain is somewhat notorious for this: getting things with eerie amounts of accuracy and then going full ham with his speculation to not come off as knowing too much. PolarPanda's source is cross checking some things so there might be more big news on the way soon.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I can't confirm Erdrick with this because I can only say that the Atlus info is 99% real. Leaving that 1% in there because it's from a single source, but they are connected deeply to Atlus so I feel like they are completely reliable here. They do not have Smash info, so perhaps that part of the leak was just fake stuff thrown in. I will say I think that it boosts Erdrick's odds a bit by association, but it does not guarantee of him or anything.
between this and steve, I think I can safely let go of the idea that this DLC will be in any way appealing to me.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
between this and steve, I think I can safely let go of the idea that this DLC will be in any way appealing to me.
Yeah after Joker, I think the next 4 characters will be pretty disappointing to me in particular.
DQ is like having literal anime in smash which I'm really not a fan of.
Steve (if he's even happening at all) is ehhhhhh

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
What really irritates me is how everything gets leaked nowadays. Can't speculate without being told "OH ACTUALLY ITS MOTHER****ING MIKE WAZOWSKI BECAUSE ABC123_JERRY SAID SO"

And then if they're wrong its because the person who leaked it didn't know what they're talking about. If they're right "I told you so, abc123_jerry is legit".

Like come on.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Yeah after Joker, I think the next 4 characters will be pretty disappointing to me in particular.
Inagine having an opinion this wrong

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like Polar said, it's totally possible, maybe even probable that the Smash stuff was just junk thrown in to take focus off the actual stuff that was being leaked. Notice how sites are overwhelmingly talking about the Smash rumors while only Persona fan sites seem to be taking note of the rest. Like I mentioned in my last post, mixing truth with lies to not be super detectable is a fairly common practice.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hey, put some respect on DQ's name-w
wait a ****in second

you

you main cloud
HES LITERAL ANIME HELLO

Dynamic Worlok

Like Polar said, it's totally possible, maybe even probable that the Smash stuff was just junk thrown in to take focus on the actual stuff that was being leaked. Notice how sites are overwhelmingly talking about the Smash rumors while only Persona fan sites seem to be taking note of the rest. Like I mentioned in my last post, mixing truth with lies to not be super detectable is a fairly common practice.
I am not optimistic. The chances, as polar said are about 1%. Those don't seem like odds worth getting excited over. At this point my hopes have been whittled down to "at least maybe they'll be characters I like" and it doesn't seem even that is probable.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not to get TOO off topic; but I'd be SHOCKED at this point if we got Steve over Banjo. There's too many odd things going on with old rare employees rn to make me think there's nothing like a Banjo remaster at the very least on the way. And a remaster only spells good news, IMO.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
gonna be real with yeah imma assume that comment was bait for the lols but BOY PERSONA IS SO ANIME IT HURTS not like there's anything wrong with that tho hell persona is JOJO but not as wacky

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Honestly I see a lot of complaints.So If the dlc isnt worth buying to some of you , then dont buy it.

Also I dont mean that in a negative way at all, its just a good way to let Nintendo know that youre not cool with their choices. The article explains that its to help promote DQ overseas, but I dont think the series will ever sell any better in the west. First off, its a turn based rpg game right? That genre doesnt sell well out here in the states anyways unless its pokemon.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I see a lot of complaints.So If the dlc isnt worth buying to some of you , then dont buy it.

Also I dont mean that in a negative way at all, its just a good way to let Nintendo know that youre not cool with their choices. The article explains that its to help promote DQ overseas, but I dont think the series will ever sell any better in the west. First off, its a turn based rpg game right? That genre doesnt sell well out here in the states anyways unless its pokemon.
You hit it on the nose pretty much. Though, a lot of people have already bought the fighters pass so that's a done deal for them.
That said, seeing a reception like this, to me, is... not exactly disappointing, I can't quite think of the word. At the end of the day you can't force anyone to like something but at the same time I wish more people would at least lighten up about it.

Dynamic Worlok

I'm absolutely not going to purchase DLC if I'm not satisfied with it. I just wish people didn't jump so fast on this fighter pass. That kind of apathy tells a company that they can get you to purchase the idea of something rather than a product itself.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You hit it on the nose pretty much. Though, a lot of people have already bought the fighters pass so that's a done deal for them.
That said, seeing a reception like this, to me, is... not exactly disappointing, I can't quite think of the word. At the end of the day you can't force anyone to like something but at the same time I wish more people would at least lighten up about it.
You probably didn't mean for this to come off condecending, but when you wait ten years for someone like Geno only for him to miss the last chance to get into Smash; you don't simply "lighten up" about it. Especially if you have rather negative feelings towards the franchise being brought in it's place.

Dynamic Worlok

I think some of us just go in too deep on the speculation cycle and we come out feeling burned, so we're perhaps a little bit more resentful than we ought to be. Of course I'm happy for the people who got what they wanted, but everyone wants to see their favorite characters make it in, and it's always disappointing when things don't work out in your favor.

You probably didn't mean for this to come off condecending, but when you wait ten years for someone like Geno only for him to miss the last chance to get into Smash; you don't simply "lighten up" about it. Especially if you have rather negative feelings towards the franchise being brought in it's place.
I don't think it was his last chance by any means, but almost certainly his best chance

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Hey, put some respect on DQ's name-w
wait a ****in second

you

you main cloud
HES LITERAL ANIME HELLO
Dam I got roasted

Nah, I should specify I'm just not a fan of Akira's art style in general. Also DQ never interested me.

but yeah prolly a lil hypocritical oh well

D

Deleted member

I think some of us just go in too deep on the speculation cycle and we come out feeling burned, so we're perhaps a little bit more resentful than we ought to be. Of course I'm happy for the people who got what they wanted, but everyone wants to see their favorite characters make it in, and it's always disappointing when things don't work out in your favor.
I agree. People just need to know to keep their expectations low.
I really do feel for Geno's fanbase, with how long it has been around for, but at the end of the day nothing is a guarantee in all of this.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I agree. People just need to know to keep their expectations low.
I really do feel for Geno's fanbase, with how long it has been around for, but at the end of the day nothing is a guarantee in all of this.
I think giving an answer like "sorry we can't because of xyz" would help but doubt it will happen.

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
At this point I do feel as though it will be Erdrick. I think this late in the game, certain info can be cross checked and found out. I'm sure the SE rep is well on it's way in terms of development and true info can only be sat on for so long. I'm a huge fan of Toriyama art and I believe DQ does deserve some love, but it's tough man. I believe the series should have been repped alongside FE back in melee. This dlc should be for really exciting, internet breaking characters. Not saying Erdrick is boring or anything, but c'mon, I bet most of us can agree that the importance is based more off the franchise than it is the character. For me, in terms of dlc, I'd rather pay for Geno, Sora, or Chrono, but it is what it is. Like I said, DQ should have been repped a long time ago and with it getting a dlc spot, it's knocking out prominent characters that would be dlc worthy imo, with no guarantees of a second wave coming. Hurts man, but I'll support Erdric fans and the character himself to my best degree. #onedaygeno

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While I won't say I am hateful or anything towards Erdrick, for a Geno fan at least, he is in many ways an antithesis. Imagine you support a character that has had a community backing it for well over a decade, pushing through age and obscurity to get recognized, and eventually succeed in small, but still notable ways. You get a costume in the game, get the creators approval, and you even get a game where your fellow support brethren got the peak goal of fighter. To be that close, only for a character that has never had a large support history, has a kit that has become over-saturated in Smash to the wider community, and only has wide popularity in a country you are not even apart of, so you can never get a true grasp of it's magnitude besides people saying "Oh, it's a cultural phenomenon there." I know I am not speaking for everyone, but I imagine that is a perspective at least a few Geno fans have. To get so far through community, only to fail in the face of a popularity foreign to you.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
At this point I do feel as though it will Erdrick. I think this late in the game, certain info can be cross checked and found out. I'm the SE rep it well on it's way in terms of development and true info can be sat on for so long. I'm a huge fan of Toriyama art and I believe DQ does deserve some love, but it's tough man. I believe the series should have been repped alongside FE back in melee. This dlc should be for really exciting, internet breaking characters. Not saying Erdrick is boring or anything, but c'mon, I bet most of us can agree that the importance is based more off the franchise than it is the character. For me, in terms of dlc, I'd rather pay for Geno, Sora, Chrono, but it is what it is. Like I said, DQ should have been repped a long time ago and with it getting a dlc spot, it's knocking out prominent characters that would dlc worthy imo, with no guarantees of a second wave coming. Hurts man, but I'll support Erdric fans and the character himself to my best degree. #onedaygeno
I can get with this.

Erdrick supporters have put up with a lot this cycle so when he's most likely confirmed I hope you guys are able to enjoy him to your hearts content, even if my selfish self can't lol.

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
While I won't say I am hateful or anything towards Erdrick, for a Geno fan at least, he is in many ways an antithesis. Imagine you support a character that has had a community backing it for well over a decade, pushing through age and obscurity to get recognized, and eventually succeed in small, but still notable ways. You get a costume in the game, get the creators approval, and you even get a game where your fellow support brethren got the peak goal of fighter. To be that close, only for a character that has never had a large support history, has a kit that has become over-saturated in Smash to the wider community, and only has wide popularity in a country you are not even apart of, so you can never get a true grasp of it's magnitude besides people saying "Oh, it's a cultural phenomenon there." I know I am not speaking for everyone, but I imagine that is a perspective at least a few Geno fans have. To get so far through community, only to fail in the face a popularity foreign to you.
Not a Geno fan, but this is 95% of the reason why I really couldn't care less about Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

While I won't say I am hateful or anything towards Erdrick, for a Geno fan at least, he is in many ways an antithesis. Imagine you support a character that has had a community backing it for well over a decade, pushing through age and obscurity to get recognized, and eventually succeed in small, but still notable ways. You get a costume in the game, get the creators approval, and you even get a game where your fellow support brethren got the peak goal of fighter. To be that close, only for a character that has never had a large support history, has a kit that has become over-saturated in Smash to the wider community, and only has wide popularity in a country you are not even apart of, so you can never get a true grasp of it's magnitude besides people saying "Oh, it's a cultural phenomenon there." I know I am not speaking for everyone, but I imagine that is a perspective at least a few Geno fans have. To get so far through community, only to fail in the face a popularity foreign to you.
I can definetely see what you mean with this perspective. Like I said I really do feel for you guys, but I'm not sure what to say at this point.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I can definetely see what you mean with this perspective. Like I said I really do feel for you guys, but I'm not sure what to say at this point.
I know this is probably not your intention; but I can't read your word's as anything but empty. Maybe cause I know you're going to get your most wanted in this exchange and at some level, I don't feel like you feel that sorry. But I'm projecting.

D

Deleted member

I know this is probably not your intention; but I can't read your word's as anything but empty. Maybe cause I know you're going to get your most wanted in this exchange and at some level, I don't feel like you feel that sorry. But I'm projecting.
If that's how you want to see it then I guess there's nothing I can do about that.

Dynamic Worlok

Relax, my dude. Don't let the resentment get to you. We're all in this together.

D

Deleted member

Also... Erdrick isn't even my most wanted SE rep. Bartz is, lol. But I do love Dragon Quest and I'll take any rep for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I feel really bad for the Geno fans. I mean, I'm a Sora fan so I can at least get some of it even though Sora was always a pipe dream, but dang, the poor thing really got the rough end of the stick. If it doesn't happen, I at least hope his costume eventually shows back up. I'm really sorry guys, but don't lose hope. There will always be ways to make light of a dark situation. Look at the Golden Sun fanbase for a good example of that.

He'll come eventually.

D

Deleted member

I feel really bad for the Geno fans. I mean, I'm a Sora fan so I can at least get some of it even though Sora was always a pipe dream, but dang, the poor thing really got the rough end of the stick. If it doesn't happen, I at least hope his costume eventually shows back up. I'm really sorry guys, but don't lose hope. There will always be ways to make light of a dark situation. Look at the Golden Sun fanbase for a good example of that.

He'll come eventually.
I'm actually certain that if SE didn't own Geno then he would have been in sooner than this.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Not to get TOO off topic; but I'd be SHOCKED at this point if we got Steve over Banjo. There's too many odd things going on with old rare employees rn to make me think there's nothing like a Banjo remaster at the very least on the way. And a remaster only spells good news, IMO.
I wouldn’t be. If we’re getting Erdrick over Geno, then Steve over Banjo is not surprising in the least.

Or...idk...Persona 5 lmao

Preach on preach on.

Anything really after Ultimate, to me, will feel like crumbs and not true recognition.

nope
DOES THIS LOOK ANIME TO YOU
Hey

This is clearly live action.

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
Maybe not the place for it, but how does this fare for Steve? I remember that the initial Granblue fighting game came from Hitagi who is still adamant about him being in. Is it fair to say that he will be the third?

D

Deleted member

Maybe not the place for it, but how does this fare for Steve? I remember that the initial Granblue fighting game came from Hitagi who is still adamant about him being in. Is it fair to say that he will be the third?
Not at this point. All we can really do for now is sit back and see what unfolds from all these leakers.

Dynamic Worlok

we know that hitagi and xenoaether are betting on steve, but that's about it. Personally, I hope they're as wrong as one can possibly be, but hey, I'm used to disappointment.

Top Bottom