• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
While Sugiyama's views aren't being promoted, the purchase of DLC that will contain his music supports him financially, as he makes royalties. It's not unreasonable for someone to refuse a purchase on that ground.
Good thing is most people would buy Erdrick because they like the character and not because of some petty comments made by a douchebag. Really, people should try to understand the point is not to support the composer, just to buy the character.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Okay. I can see where they were coming from then. I just think it's silly to bring up morals when discussing what fictional characters are joining a Nintendo game. How do we even know this Sugiyama guy is the only one with controversial opinions? What if any of the people involved with Kingdom Hearts or Super Mario RPG held viewpoints that made people on here disgusted? Would everyone be willing to stop supporting Sora, Geno, etc. then?
a fair point. If, for instance yoko shimomura held those same reprehensible views I'd certainly think twice about purchasing DLC with her music, though it would be a much more difficult decision considering it's a character that I personally have a bias towards. Though I wouldn't presume to hold everyone else to a similar moral obligation in any circumstance, including dragon quest's inclusion.

Good thing is most people would buy Erdrick because they like the character and not because of some petty comments made by a douchebag. Really, people should try to understand the point is not to support the composer, just to buy the character.
the fact still stands that the person in question will benefit from the purchase. And a consumer has every right to refuse purchase for any little detail they find not to their liking. The company isn't owed a purchase just because everyone else acts like decent people should.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ JohnKnight416 JohnKnight416
Geno is a party member from Super Mario RPG, the first RPG featuring Mario. It's a good game if you want to try some new RPG. Geno in particular looks like a puppet and uses a multitude of ar-cannons/guns/rocket punches for attack, it surprises me that Geno has this much support considering he is a one-off character for the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I will not go into it but I am not joking about this. I fully understand the viewpoint that many other people work on Dragon Quest and don't really have a problem with other people buying it as he's old and will hopefully die soon anyway, but belonging to a family that was affected by the atrocities Mr. Sugiyama denies means that I will make the personal choice to not purchase something that will benefit him. I hope that is something that can be understood.

In other notes, my most wanted Square character is Chrono but I'm afraid he seems like the least likely of any of the names on the old list. Unfortunately they don't seem to care about him much.
I totally understand man. I really wish he didn’t have a say in DQ related stuff, but it is what is unfortunately. It’s totally understandable if someone does not want to purchase it due to those reasons.

However, my comments were directed toward OptimisticStrifer, who’s giving me the vibe of someone who’s just using this thing as ammo to fuel his vendetta against Erdrick because Geno wasn’t the rep.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
the fact still stands that the person in question will benefit from the purchase. And a consumer has every right to refuse purchase for any little detail they find not to their liking. The company isn't owed a purchase just because everyone else acts like decent people should.
You say that as if everyone will or should care about it. And majority won't.

Dynamic Worlok

You say that as if everyone will or should care about it. And majority won't.
If you read the text just a couple paragraphs up, you'd know that I don't.
specifically this
Though I wouldn't presume to hold everyone else to a similar moral obligation in any circumstance, including dragon quest's inclusion.

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
So here’s a new question that might have already been answered before it was proposed, but does Erdrick hurt Sora’s chances? The whole Disney thing is really confusing.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
@ JohnKnight416 JohnKnight416
Geno is a party member from Super Mario RPG, the first RPG featuring Mario. It's a good game if you want to try some new RPG. Geno in particular looks like a puppet and uses a multitude of ar-cannons/guns/rocket punches for attack, it surprises me that Geno has this much support considering he is a one-off character for the game.
Is he really worth being put into the game as a playable character even though he has only appeared once in an old 1990's game?

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
He's a party member from Super Mario RPG, the first RPG featuring Mario. It's a good game if you want to try some new RPG. Geno in particular looks like a puppet and uses a multitude of ar-cannons/guns/rocket punches for attack, it surprises me that Geno has this much support considering he is a one-off character for the game.
Yeah. It's kind of weird. You never see anyone clamor for other one-off Mario RPG party members like Goombario or Vivian to the same degree others do for the star spirit. I guess Geno just had everything that clicked with the hardcore Smash community.
Is he really worth being put into the game as a playable character even though he has only appeared once in an old 1990's game?
A character being "worthy" of joining the roster is something that's entirely subjective. Sure he only appeared in one game, but I think most of his supporters don't really care about that. They instead were interested by WHAT he did in the game that he was in. I honestly think that if Geno wasn't owned by Square Enix, he could have gotten in by now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So here’s a new question that might have already been answered before it was proposed, but does Erdrick hurt Sora’s chances? The whole Disney thing is really confusing.
It's... hard to say, actually.
Technically Sora would be a Disney rep. Saying KH is a SE game is like saying Donkey Kong Country is a Rare game. While they're both true, they don't own them in a legal sense.
But, in the case of KH, to my knowledge Nomura is the one with most control over the franchise.
I can't really conclusively say yes or no to this honestly.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
depends on who you ask.
What do you think? I personally would rather see someone who's a main character of an ongoing gaming series besides Geno such as Sora from Kingdom Hearts who btw is gonna appear in Kingdom Hearts 3 which is coming out soon.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai seemed to think so (at least when developing Brawl):

[Why add the Geno Mii Costume?] "To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."

D

Deleted member

It's in the eye of the beholder, personally I don't mind him but I would rather see any other of the poll picks instead.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Sakurai seemed to think so (at least when developing Brawl):

[Why add the Geno Mii Costume?] "To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."
And while we're at it, check this out:
When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
Seems like Mii costumes really can be considered disconfirmations, if there was any other reason needed to get to that conclusion...

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Geno isn't a bombshell. No one outside of the Smash bubble cares about him.

Also DQ isn't as niche in the states as you think. 8, 9 and 11 all sold over a million copies in the states
The Smash Bubble argument is so getting so stale. The Smash Bubble is HUGE for one.

If DQ isn’t as niche than it’s arguable that Geno isn’t as niche as people keep saying he is.

I mean, literally google “Geno”. Look at how many lists he’s on for this game.

I feel like people will grow to like Erdrick. I mean, I’m cool with him. Would rather have Geno obviously, but I understand the appeal of DQ and why it was chosen. I only ask we get a western 3rd party in return though.
I agree. I’m sure people will.
And? Quite a few of them have sold very well here too

Besides, almost of all the newcomers bar :ultchrom: have been more Western picks. Let Japan have something.
Don’t you only mean just a few? Lol

Isabelle? Incineroar? Ken? The only West newcomers picks I really see are Ridley and K. Rool.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I personally would rather see someone who's a main character of an ongoing gaming series besides Geno such as Sora from Kingdom Hearts who btw is gonna appear in Kingdom Hearts 3 which is coming out soon.
So would I, but not everyone shares the same opinions as us. Whoever gets in depends on what Nintendo, Sakurai, and Square Enix want, and what they believe would produce the highest net benefit for the companies and the consumers.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
It's in the eye of the beholder, personally I don't mind him but I would rather see any other of the poll picks instead.
Same here. I don't really care if Geno does make into Smash Ultimate as DLC. But if we're gonna get some newcomers as DLC in Smash Ultimate, I would like to see them coming from an entirely different game/game series that is new to the Smash series to further take part in Smash Ultimate becoming the ultimate crossover game.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

What do you think? I personally would rather see someone who's a main character of an ongoing gaming series besides Geno such as Sora from Kingdom Hearts who btw is gonna appear in Kingdom Hearts 3 which is coming out soon.
Personally I try to look beyond the typical norms of someone who "deserves" to be a character and try to look for things that I personally find fun. Geno, for instance I feel would bring a fun and unique flavor to the game. Same with characters like travis touchdown and viewtiful joe. Isaac was one of the ones I would have liked to see as well, but as we all know, that didn't pan out so well. Sora's one I wouldn't mind seeing either, not necessarily because of his main character status or the fact that he's been in multiple games, but because it'd be interesting to see them work the different keyblade forms into his moveset, in addition to the spells and maybe even disney characters.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I would die of laughter of we got Frog from Chrono Trigger as our rep. I would be happy.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah and that would be cool. I love Sora. But Geno is a protagonist of his old game, and Sora has his shine, while Geno hasn’t appeared since, and it would be really cool to see him updated and give him a chance to be on the same level as Sora.

Same here. I don't really care if Geno does make into Smash Ultimate as DLC. But if we're gonna get some newcomers as DLC in Smash Ultimate, I would like to see them coming from an entirely different game/game series that is new to Smash to further take part in Smash Ultimate becoming the ultimate crossover game.
With how Nintendo/Square treat Geno one would think he comes from an entirely different game series haha.

We technically don’t have any SMRPG reps so....

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The Smash Bubble argument is so getting so stale. The Smash Bubble is HUGE for one.

If DQ isn’t as niche than it’s arguable that Geno isn’t as niche as people keep saying he is.

I mean, literally google “Geno”. Look at how many lists he’s on for this game.

I agree. I’m sure people will.

Don’t you only mean just a few? Lol

Isabelle? Incineroar? Ken? The only West newcomers picks I really see are Ridley and K. Rool.
I feel like one of the main reasons not everyone supports Geno is that most of the time he's brought up, it's only in relation to Smash. Chances are, whenever someone mentions Geno, it has to do with that person wanting him for Smash rather than discussing the character and his game. Yes. Geno would be a very interesting fighter with a unique moveset if he was made playable, but that applies to many other characters as well. It's not necessarily that Geno would be a bad character choice. I just think, unless Square Enix puts Geno in more games and let's him actually do SOMETHING, there are a significant amount of other characters that should get in before him. As it stands right now, however, Geno doesn't have much of a legacy to stand on. His game does, but not the character itself. I know that having a legacy doesn't ultimately matter for a character's inclusion, but when you have the ability to put nearly ANY video game character in Smash as paid DLC, picking Geno just doesn't make much sense to me. Go ahead and bash me all you want just because I don't completely worship your star spirit, but I don't care. This isn't a Geno hugbox. Some of the Geno fanaticism in this thread from users like OptimisticStrifer is only making me like the character less. Deal with it.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
With how Nintendo/Square treat Geno one would think he comes from an entirely different game series haha.

Isn't super mario rpg still technically a Mario game? Doesn't really entirely stands out as entirely different game that isn't part of the Mario series.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

No matter how you try to spin it, Geno is still a Mario character, so it's understandable that others including myself would rather get a character from a completely different franchise like Sora, Master Chief, Doomguy, Sans, Steve, etc. This is the biggest opportunity that Nintendo has to go wild with DLC, and having another Mario character right after Piranha Plant for the Fighter Pass would disappoint some people. I wouldn't mind, of course, but not everyone is the same way.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
My family got affected by WW2. I don't give a **** at all about what Sugiyama said. Why would I be attached to something that I didn't live ? Also, it doesn't have anything to do with Dragon Quest, Erdrick or anything else related to Square. That's just the laughable opinion of a sad and hateful grandpa, I don't give a **** about it at all. I still think he's a genius when it comes to music.

The only thing that would make me hate Erdrick is if he ends up being a boring character, nothing else.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I feel like one of the main reasons not everyone supports Geno is that most of the time he's brought up, it's only in relation to Smash. Chances are, whenever someone mentions Geno, it has to do with that person wanting him for Smash rather than discussing the character and his game. Yes. Geno would be a very interesting fighter with a unique moveset if he was made playable, but that applies to many other characters as well. It's not necessarily that Geno would be a bad character choice. I just think, unless Square Enix puts Geno in more games and let's him actually do SOMETHING, there are a significant amount of other characters that should get in before him. As it stands right now, Geno doesn't have much of a legacy to stand on. His game does, but not the character itself.
Now that you mention it, I don't recall hearing Geno from any other topics other than Smash. Heck I never even heard about Geno before in my entire life until I starting hearing some people wanting him as a newcomer in Smash Ultimate. It was only after the announcement of Smash Ultimate on Nintendo E3 2018 did I then started hearing a bit about Geno.

D

Deleted member

SMRPG is a Mario game, and Mario is the protagonist. Is Geno a party member? yes, alongside Mallow, Bowser, and Peach. If you don't consider Mario, Peach, and Bowser, as SMRPG reps I think we may have a vastly different opinion as to what is a series rep.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
It's... hard to say, actually.
Technically Sora would be a Disney rep. Saying KH is a SE game is like saying Donkey Kong Country is a Rare game. While they're both true, they don't own them in a legal sense.
But, in the case of KH, to my knowledge Nomura is the one with most control over the franchise.
I can't really conclusively say yes or no to this honestly.
Well, it’s an answer that doesn’t immediately shoot down the idea so I’ll take it.

I guess the best hope now is that Nomura and Sakurai’s friendship makes something happen.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Now that you mention it, I don't recall hearing Geno from any other topics other than Smash. Heck I never even heard about Geno before in my entire life until I starting hearing some people wanting him as a newcomer in Smash Ultimate. It was only after the announcement of Smash Ultimate on Nintendo E3 2018 did I then started hearing a bit about Geno.
The fervor for Geno started way before that. Regardless, many people on this forum do tend to overestimate his actual popularity. I see far more demand for Sora now.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

SMRPG is a Mario game, and Mario is the protagonist. Is Geno a party member? yes, alongside Mallow, Bowser, and Peach. If you don't consider Mario, Peach, and Bowser, as SMRPG reps I think we may have a vastly different opinion as to what is a series rep.
I think the point of contention here is a rep that is specific to mario RPG. Since Mario, Peach and Bowser rep the series as a whole, it seems disingenuous to count them as a rep specifically for that game. Generally when we look at a series as big as mario, one looks at the factors that set the other games apart. Rosalina, for instance reps mario galaxy, that's what we think of when we think about mario galaxy, same with cappy for odyssey, or fludd for sunshine, and so on and so forth.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Technically, Geno was a side character. Yes. The plot involved him. But he was no more important than the other party members. Peach and Bowser had their own involvement in the game's plot just as much as Geno had his. Even Mallow got more moments in the story and received more character development than Geno as a result. Geno just tends to stick out more because he can shoot bullets and cannonballs from his fingers and arms as well as one-shot most enemies and one of the bosses with an OP technique. On the other hand, most people only saw Mallow as being kind of wimpy.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Yeah, but not on the Switch.
Who said that newcomers need to be from a game that is on the Switch? There's no such restriction that newcomers should be only from a game that has been on a nintendo console. Like previously, Final Fantasy has never had any of their games on a Nintendo console and we then later got Cloud as a DLC character in Smash 4.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I wish. I don't wanna have to buy a whole-*** PS4 just to play kingdom hearts..
I feel lucky to have both a PS4 and a Switch in addition to a PC. But of course, Nintendo likely aren't relying on multi-platform owners being the main buying force behind DLC. So unless we get some KH action in the Switch, Sephiroth, Neku, and/or Erdrick (hopefully fun to play as), are looking more likely.

Dynamic Worlok

I feel lucky to have both a PS4 and a Switch in addition to a PC. But of course, Nintendo likely aren't relying on multi-platform owners being the main buying force behind DLC. So unless we get some KH action in the Switch, Sephiroth, Neku, and/or Erdrick (hopefully fun to play as), are looking more likely.
never played TWEWY, but Neku looks pretty cool.

Top Bottom