• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I wonder if this bodes well for info on the 22nd? What if Joker wasn't the first one to be unveiled and it was gonna be a SE rep but they did a bait and switch. That would kinda explain why Erdrick could be revealed so soon. Admittedly this doesn't explain how the guy knew Joker's moveset but yea.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Maybe not the place for it, but how does this fare for Steve? I remember that the initial Granblue fighting game came from Hitagi who is still adamant about him being in. Is it fair to say that he will be the third?
Steve's in a very odd situation.

Verge believes there's Minecraft content, but not necessarily Steve.
Hitagi is pretty certain Steve is coming, as is Xenother.

But the entire Smash leak scene faced a MAJOR upset due to Joker, and Ryce, another prominent leaker in the past, has stated he has been told absolutely nothing regarding Minecraft content in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if this bodes well for info on the 22nd? What if Joker wasn't the first one to be unveiled and it was gonna be a SE rep but they did a bait and switch. That would kinda explain why Erdrick could be revealed so soon. Admittedly this doesn't explain how the guy knew Joker's moveset but yea.
I never thought of this actually. But, this does make a lot of sense actually.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Only Verge heard the SE rep would be first and only from one source.
So the SE rep being first was never sure, I suppose.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You probably didn't mean for this to come off condecending, but when you wait ten years for someone like Geno only for him to miss the last chance to get into Smash; you don't simply "lighten up" about it. Especially if you have rather negative feelings towards the franchise being brought in it's place.
Huh?
Who said it's Geno's last chance?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If Sora wasn't able to make it in, then Gex would be my next choice for a Square Enix rep. I remember playing Gex 2 back on the N64 and it would be cool to see him return with a new game. Too bad that will likely never happen.
The Atlus info from the 5chan leak is 99% legit. I talked with Xenother and got in contact with somebody directly connected to Atlus who can corroborate the P5R game and P5U game. However, since he only has Atlus connections, he cannot confirm the Smash information. He claims the Persona 5 Reloaded is a Switch exclusive. This, perhaps, makes Erdrick more likely because it means that even more of the leak is true, meaning Erdrick is a bit more likely by relation.

I won't go into specifics because I did not get permission from Xenother or the Source to name anybody, and I did not _see_ these two games, but the person who had this info is quite trustworthy in regards to Atlus, I feel. I'll provide more updates and talk w/ Xenother more when we figure something out. Keep in mind there is still a shred of a chance that the Atlus information is not true as this is only coming from one source, but it looks quite likely.
I don't believe you.

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I really don’t think I’d be so against Erdrick if Square wasn’t sitting on two of the biggest bombshells in Smash history, and if one them wasn’t Sora and the other Geno.

To miss that opportunity for... Erdrick? That’s just disappointing to me.
I’ve come to terms with it though I guess. I guess this case is probably closed unless we catch the biggest jebait of all time

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Geno isn't a bombshell. No one outside of the Smash bubble cares about him.

Also DQ isn't as niche in the states as you think. 8, 9 and 11 all sold over a million copies in the states

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I feel like people will grow to like Erdrick. I mean, I’m cool with him. Would rather have Geno obviously, but I understand the appeal of DQ and why it was chosen. I only ask we get a western 3rd party in return though.

D

Deleted member

I feel like people will grow to like Erdrick. I mean, I’m cool with him. Would rather have Geno obviously, but I understand the appeal of DQ and why it was chosen. I only ask we get a western 3rd party in return though.
I was thinking the same. If he does get in, then hopefully seeing him in action would warm some people up to him.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Also DQ isn't as niche in the states as you think. 8, 9 and 11 all sold over a million copies in the states
However, as other users have pointed out, 93% of all copies of Dragon Quest games are sold in Japan.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Unfortunately even if Eldrick ended up being the coolest character on the roster; I still wouldn't want him there due to the circumstances and moral reasons. Sometimes I wish I could just remain blissfully ignorant of horrible people; but I guess that's pretty universal.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Nintendo is the one who ultimately decides if a character can or won't be on the roster. Its nothing horrible it just sucks.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice

Well obviously not, but Geno has been wanted for years on end and this really seemed like his time. It’s just disheartening.

Also I really don’t care how niche Erdrick is, I just don’t like the character much at all really. If they wanted to feed into a huge Japanese craze I would’ve preferred the Monster Hunter, but it is what it is. We got Joker so I guess I shouldn’t be complaining at all really.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Unfortunately even if Eldrick ended up being the coolest character on the roster; I still wouldn't want him there due to the circumstances and moral reasons. Sometimes I wish I could just remain blissfully ignorant of horrible people; but I guess that's pretty universal.
Cut the crap dude. I know you actually don’t give a **** about these “moral reasons”. You’re just saying to downplay a character you don’t like because the one you wanted wasn’t chosen instead.

D

Deleted member

Hi, I'm new. Wow this thread is getting a bit intense, anyway just my two cents. I grew up playing SMRPG, FFVII, CT, KH, and curiously it took me a while to get into DQ even if it was technically the first RPG I ever played. I would love any of the reps in the poll, but certainly my top choices would be Erdrick followed by Sephiroth and Sora. I feel that this whole disdain for Erdrick is a bit unwarranted as I dont think that having Erdrick prevents having any other SE characters down the line and frankly the overreaction of him being an anime swordsman when we don't have any idea about his moveset. I also very well doubt he is stealing any spot whatsoever.

That said, DQ is in a similar situation to MH previous to World, considering a few of the games sold a million on the west but substantially better in Japan. I feel that if Erdrick is managed well, he's going to be well received. Surprisingly one of the DQ manga is quite popular in LatAm and Europe as well.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Cut the crap dude. I know you actually don’t give a **** about these “moral reasons”. You’re just saying to downplay a character you don’t like because the one you wanted wasn’t chosen instead.
Smash Speculation in a nutshell.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
we are getting a western third party character

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
However, as other users have pointed out, 93% of all copies of Dragon Quest games are sold in Japan.
And? Quite a few of them have sold very well here too

Besides, almost of all the newcomers bar :ultchrom: have been more Western picks. Let Japan have something.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo owes nobody in regards to Geno it's dumb we're talking about morals. Its a freaking smash character.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
All that hassle just for a bunch of hate.
A bunch? Nah. The hate that Erdrick's inclusion would bring would be miniscule compared to all the exposure Dragon Quest would get in the West by having one of its main characters in the biggest crossover game yet. Plus he can be described as "Goku with a sword". Far more people would find that awesome than disappointing. Nintendo and Square Enix are businesses, and using Smash as a tool to promote one of their biggest franchises in Japan and give it more widespread appeal is totally a logical thing for them to do, as much as it would upset the vocal minority of "anime swordsmen" haters on the Internet.
Unfortunately even if Eldrick ended up being the coolest character on the roster; I still wouldn't want him there due to the circumstances and moral reasons.
LOL. Moral reasons?! Just say that Erdrick's inclusion would make you salty and leave it at that. At least then I would believe you.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Some of us have ancestors that were killed in the Nanking Massacre.
But how would having Erdrick in Smash promote Sugiyama’s terrible views? I agree, he’s a piece of garbage for saying that ****, but having DQ in smash doesn’t mean those views are being promoted. Sugiyama isn’t solely responsible for DQ. And I don’t know what Optimisticstrifer’s background is, so maybe I was quick to judge, but his posts read like someone who is salty and is using it as a way further a vendetta.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
But how would having Erdrick in Smash promote Sugiyama’s terrible views? I agree, he’s a piece of garbage for saying that ****, but having DQ in smash doesn’t mean those views are being promoted. Sugiyama isn’t solely responsible for DQ. And I don’t know what Optimisticstrifer’s background is, so maybe I was quick to judge, but his posts read like someone who is salty and is using it as a way further a vendetta.
I think that sentinel was just joking there.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, as much as I feel for Geno fans, it’s a business. Nintendo doesn’t owe anyone anything (except Pikmin 4 please I’m desperate) and especially not a smash character.

At first when you said morals I thought you meant the d-bag composer for DQ and that I get cause even I’m a little off put by that. It’s not a huge deal though.

Dynamic Worlok

While Sugiyama's views aren't being promoted, the purchase of DLC that will contain his music supports him financially, as he makes royalties. It's not unreasonable for someone to refuse a purchase on that ground.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Either way, this thread is getting fairly heated. We honestly should just take a step back and try and think this through before getting salty and emotional.

Sure, Erdrick is incredibly disappointing lmao. Who knows though, he could be fun. We’ve seen that from characters like Incineroar before, so who knows.

Though I’m serious Nintendo you told me Pikmin 4 was coming, chop chop where is it

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
https://youtu.be/HKcdo-jcoYo
Seriously we know you hate erdrick and Dragon Quest and whatever you dont have to keep reminding everyone every few pages....

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Either way, this thread is getting fairly heated. We honestly should just take a step back and try and think this through before getting salty and emotional.

Sure, Erdrick is incredibly disappointing lmao. Who knows though, he could be fun. We’ve seen that from characters like Incineroar before, so who knows.

Though I’m serious Nintendo you told me Pikmin 4 was coming, chop chop where is it
I have every confidence that sakurai can make whatever characters are chosen fun to play. But much like corrin, he will carry with him the stink of disappointment for those who were displeased with his inclusion.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
While Sugiyama's views aren't being promoted, the purchase of DLC that will contain his music supports him financially, as he makes royalties. It's not unreasonable for someone to refuse a purchase on that ground.
I totally understand that. However, saying DQ shouldn’t be in Smash due to the actions of one person completely ignores the work of others who made the franchise what it is. And those people, to my knowledge at least, are not douchebags like Sugiyama.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Okay. I can see where they were coming from then. I just think it's silly to bring up morals when discussing what fictional characters are joining a Nintendo game. How do we even know this Sugiyama guy is the only one with controversial opinions? What if any of the people involved with Kingdom Hearts or Super Mario RPG held viewpoints that made people on here disgusted? Would everyone be willing to stop supporting Sora, Geno, etc. then? Not to mention, as the user above me said, it's dumb to disregard an entire franchise because of just one guy. So many other people were involved with DQ as well. I wouldn't even be surprised if there was at least one member of the Super Smash Bros. staff that held the same kind of views as Sugiyama as well. Better stop supporting Smash then!

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I totally understand that. However, saying DQ shouldn’t be in Smash due to the actions of one person completely ignores the work of others who made the franchise what it is. And those people, to my knowledge at least, are not douchebags like Sugiyama.
I'm not gonna go so far as to say that Dragon Quest shouldn't be in smash. Quite the opposite, though it pains me to admit. My point is merely that people have every right to refuse to purchase the DLC for such reasons.

Top Bottom