• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't really think we can take official screenshots as hints after that Rathalos pic everyone seemed to think was a hint for Isaac.
Who said that I was speaking of it as a general hint. Sure, right now I'm on Sephiroth who I think is most likely all things considered. But this was just me pointing out that he have made more references for Sephiroth then that Cloud holding Zelda pic

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, Sephiroth in FFVII is constantly stated as a man in a black Cape. And warping/flying happens to be one of his abilities.

So fans caught on to a potential reference to that when Alucard does so in Midgar while Sakurai was talking about him during the August Smash direct this year.
Oh, neat. I don't think this means anything in the end, as any other time there was "hints," they always led nowhere. And if it was a purposeful reference, it could be some sort of compensation for the characters not making more prominent appearances in things like spirits or AT's.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I guess we're getting Isaac for DLC 'cause hints.

Unless you count E3's background as a hint for K. Rool, Sakurai doesn't hint y'all.
He does occasionally. I'm guessing you missed the "red eyes" post he made not long before Simon (Bloody Tears) and King K. Rool (bloodshot eye) were revealed, no?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He does occasionally. I'm guessing you missed the "red eyes" post he made not long before Simon (Bloody Tears) and King K. Rool (bloodshot eye) were revealed, no?
Weren't his actual eyes a little red as well? Even if that was a hint, it was literally a day before; he doesn't lead people on for long, like when he was kidding about removing ZSS.

I may as well say the dice in the Nov. 1st Direct background were a Sora hint.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To point out why I think Sephiroth is the most reasonable of the ones on the supposed list.

A) It would explain why Nintendo got next to nothing in terms of Final Fantasy content. I mean, they managed to be the first non-square game that has Square content in it when it comes to the base game... If Sephiroth is not, then I don't get why we don't have at least a spirit or one or two more tracks. even if they are just in midi which apparently should be a solution to solve the Dragon Quest composer issue.

B) Speaking of music. I went back to the Geno board where Fatman talked about the Final Fantasy potential, and the biggest hurdle is the composer Nobuo Uematsu, who is apparently retired as of now because of sickness. Who isn't to say that they would be able to get a deal for music through DLC in order so he can pay medical bills or more importantly have money that he can give to his next ones and potential kids/grandkids considering you don't retire because of illness if it's only a cold.

C) Sephiroth is arguably one of the most iconic video game villains to date and would be a huge deal because of that.

Would I be surprised if he isn't? No, honestly it's anyone's game. But if it's not him, I do expect someone, not on the list like Nekku. I still doubt that Square has just been soft right now so that everyone and their grandmother's dog breeder knows who it is while I don't think it would be as easy with Erdick as some of you think. Especially with some many factors involved.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Weren't his actual eyes a little red as well? Even if that was a hint, it was literally a day before; he doesn't lead people on for long, like when he was kidding about removing ZSS.

I may as well say the dice in the Nov. 1st Direct background were a Sora hint.
There actually are quite a few people who think that about the dice.

Keep in mind also, I'm partially joking and not all too serious on this.

Though, I will admit, it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai has legit hinted at newcomers all things considered.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
The Atlus info from the 5chan leak is 99% legit. I talked with Xenother and got in contact with somebody directly connected to Atlus who can corroborate the P5R game and P5U game. However, since he only has Atlus connections, he cannot confirm the Smash information. He claims the Persona 5 Reloaded is a Switch exclusive. This, perhaps, makes Erdrick more likely because it means that even more of the leak is true, meaning Erdrick is a bit more likely by relation.

I won't go into specifics because I did not get permission from Xenother or the Source to name anybody, and I did not _see_ these two games, but the person who had this info is quite trustworthy in regards to Atlus, I feel. I'll provide more updates and talk w/ Xenother more when we figure something out. Keep in mind there is still a shred of a chance that the Atlus information is not true as this is only coming from one source, but it looks quite likely.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The Atlus info from the 5chan leak is 99% legit.
Only 99%? Eh.
I talked with Xenother and got in contact with somebody directly connected to Atlus who can corroborate the P5R game and P5U game. However, since he only has Atlus connections, he cannot confirm the Smash information. He claims the Persona 5 Reloaded is a Switch exclusive.
That's neat for Persona 5, but it don't do a thing for a Square rep in Smash when practically everyone was assuming we'd get a Persona 5 port to the Switch as soon as Joker showed up.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The Atlus info from the 5chan leak is 99% legit. I talked with Xenother and got in contact with somebody directly connected to Atlus who can corroborate the P5R game and P5U game. However, since he only has Atlus connections, he cannot confirm the Smash information. He claims the Persona 5 Reloaded is a Switch exclusive. This, perhaps, makes Erdrick more likely because it means that even more of the leak is true, meaning Erdrick is a bit more likely by relation.

I won't go into specifics because I did not get permission from Xenother or the Source to name anybody, and I did not _see_ these two games, but the person who had this info is quite trustworthy in regards to Atlus, I feel. I'll provide more updates and talk w/ Xenother more when we figure something out. Keep in mind there is still a shred of a chance that the Atlus information is not true as this is only coming from one source, but it looks quite likely.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Only 99%? Eh.

That's neat for Persona 5, but it don't do a thing for a Square rep in Smash when practically everyone was assuming we'd get a Persona 5 port to the Switch as soon as Joker showed up.
That's true. It moreso relates to domains that Mystic Distance dug up in early 2017 where P5R and P5U were two games listed. While it is true many people speculated a P5 port, it's interesting that the leaker said it would be called P5R. You'd think that many people would go with P5U since that usually stands for Ultimate or something along those lines. Additionally, it seems they were right about P5U being internally delayed due to Granblue Versus being developed by the same developers and P5R being a 2019 release. You could say this boosts Erdrick's chances because the Erdrick info came from the same person who knew this information. Correct by association. However, there is a chance that they threw in fake information of course, that's another possibility regarding the Smash stuff.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Can someone link to that supposed 5chan leak? I've seen people talk about it, but I have no idea what it is.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

But we've known about P5R and P5U for ages, have we not? They've been registered for over a year. The leak is literally just restating the obvious.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

How absolutely disappointing

D

Deleted member

That's really cool to hear. I'm still not putting my faith in it 100% but I'll take any sign I can I guess lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's true. It moreso relates to domains that Mystic Distance dug up in early 2017 where P5R and P5U were two games listed. While it is true many people speculated a P5 port, it's interesting that the leaker said it would be called P5R. You'd think that many people would go with P5U since that usually stands for Ultimate or something along those lines. Additionally, it seems they were right about P5U being internally delayed due to Granblue Versus being developed by the same developers and P5R being a 2019 release. You could say this boosts Erdrick's chances because the Erdrick info came from the same person who knew this information. Correct by association. However, there is a chance that they threw in fake information of course, that's another possibility regarding the Smash stuff.
But wait, just becaause they know there Atlus stiff does not mean they have as solid leads when it comes to Square, right? We have seen plenty of time where a leaker reveals so much about one game, but flounders for another. Heck, Verge is like that to an extent, if I recall.
But we've known about P5R and P5U for ages, have we not? They've been registered for over a year. The leak is literally just restating the obvious.
Really?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Guys.

I made an entire post conceding I was almost defeated last night.
But this damn leak isn't what's doing me in.

Let me restate it again.

We have known about P5R and P5U for ages.
P5 Arena being delayed due to the GB fighter makes no sense because they're entirely different teams working on either game.
The GB fighter's existence has been known for a month now. (I understand that it would take some effort for a Japanese person to come upon these Western leaks, but I'm appalled that that tidbit is what's causing us to really believe this leak).

The leak has nothing else going for it except for things we've known about for ages.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Since it's a 5chan leak, it was originally in Japanese. Here is a site with the English translation:
https://personacentral.com/rumor-pe...plete-edition-2019-super-smash-ultimate-leak/
Thanks.. I'm with Jovahexeon and Luigi the President to some degree here though. Unless this leak is right with the moveset and stage for Joker, I would argue that the fat lady isn't even close to singing. The Dante leak (the one that Dante would come and save the day against Rathalos) did have something real ontop of the fake after all.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
P5 Arena being delayed due to the GB fighter makes no sense because they're entirely different teams working on either game.
No.
Arc Sys have team Red and Team Blue.
Team Blue is iirc focusing on BBTAG S2 and Ain't a team that can multitask sadly
Team Red is doing GrandBlue and I think will do DBZ S2 after that/during it I guess.

It's not out of the realm of possibilites

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Erdrick could still also be leakbait, because we know Square, according to people associated with them, likes to throw out leakbait. After all, the 4chan TGA leak got a lot of things right except for Smash info, and we were sure we were getting Metroid info. Instead, we got Joker. Plus, there is Luigi The President Luigi The President 's argument when it comes to the Persona info and how long we've known about it. The fact that they know all of the details on Joker and Erdrick when Joker has only just started development, too, seems off when no one apparently knows DLC.

Temper your expectations, y'all. Keep them tempered.

That being said, as a Geno fan, I'm just going to presume it's Erdrick at this point and err on the side of pessimism.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No.
Arc Sys have team Red and Team Blue.
Team Blue is iirc focusing on BBTAG S2 and Ain't a team that can multitask sadly
Team Red is doing GrandBlue and I think will do DBZ S2 after that/during it I guess.

It's not out of the realm of possibilites
That's the thing.
Team Blue and Team Red are entirely different teams.

Team Blue does the 2D fighters like Persona Arena.
Team Red is doing Granblue.

So Granblue impacting Team Blue's performance doesn't make sense, I don't understand how. Team Blue's only concern would be BBTAG S2. However this leak states their hold-up would be due to the Granblue fighter.

D

Deleted member

Can you ask them what's Atlus doing next with Etrian Odyssey? This isn't a joke, I need to know if their Switch game will still have map drawing.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's the thing.
Team Blue and Team Red are entirely different teams.

Team Blue does the 2D fighters like Persona Arena.
Team Red is doing Granblue.

So Granblue impacting Team Blue's performance doesn't make sense, I don't understand how. Team Blue's only concern would be BBTAG S2. However this leak states their hold-up would be due to the Granblue fighter.
It's also possible that P5 Arena use the GG engine of Team Red instead of being Sprite based Thought.

D

Deleted member

Erdrick could still also be leakbait, because we know Square, according to people associated with them, likes to throw out leakbait. After all, the 4chan TGA leak got a lot of things right except for Smash info, and we were sure we were getting Metroid info. Instead, we got Joker. Plus, there is Luigi The President Luigi The President 's argument when it comes to the Persona info and how long we've known about it. The fact that they know all of the details on Joker and Erdrick when Joker has only just started development, too, seems off when no one apparently knows DLC.

Temper your expectations, y'all. Keep them tempered.

That being said, as a Geno fan, I'm just going to presume it's Erdrick at this point and err on the side of pessimism.
If it means anything, Verge held off on naming any SE character because of their leak policies. I don't think he would at least side with Erdrick if he wasn't confident he wasn't leak bait.
Of course though do what you will with that info after that last reveal lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's also possible that P5 Arena use the GG engine of Team Red instead of being Sprite based Thought.
That makes no sense whatsoever though. Why would P5 suddenly differentiate from the 2 already existing, well received Persona Arena games?
It is indeed possible but I wouldn't really consider it because that's just...that doesn't make much sense; they're going to need returning fighters from P3 and P4 as well, and 3D modelling would make that MUCH harder to achieve

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That makes no sense whatsoever though. Why would P5 suddenly differentiate from the 2 already existing, well received Persona Arena games?
It is indeed possible but I wouldn't really consider it because that's just...that doesn't make much sense; they're going to need returning fighters from P3 and P4 as well, and 3D modelling would make that MUCH harder to achieve
They absolutely doesn't need to bring back P4/P3 cast.

P4 Arena was it's own series.
P5 Arena will be it's own too within any connections to P4 Arena whatsoever even more when you see that there no "Arena"possible in the title.

P5 Arena can use a whole new engine. And come on, don't you think P5's look and style is perfect for GG engine?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can also see them taking advantage of this in future seasons of BBTAG. Persona 4 is already there, so adding in Persona 5 stuff would not be that difficult.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

P5 Arena will be it's own too within any connections to P4 Arena whatsoever even more when you see that there no "Arena"possible in the title.

P5 Arena can use a whole new engine. And come on, don't you think P5's look and style is perfect for GG engine?
P4 Arena had numerous returning figures from P3.

A fighting game needs more than the Phantom Thieves. P4 Arena needed more then the Investigation Team.

P5 looks perfect for GG!...but P4 looked pretty damn good for that too.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

There's also the admittedly somewhat out-there point of the Dancing games just being released which contained highly detailed 3D models of the characters which can be used for a base if not recycled.

Plus I'm not gonna lie an Xrd-style P5 fighting game sounds like the stuff of my dreams as a giant GG and P5 fan.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's also the admittedly somewhat out-there point of the Dancing games just being released which contained highly detailed 3D models of the characters which can be used for a base if not recycled.

Plus I'm not gonna lie an Xrd-style P5 fighting game sounds like the stuff of my dreams as a giant GG and P5 fan.
See you could've used that same logic for P4 though.

Believe me I want to see Haru Okumura in the GG style more than anything but it's nonsensical.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
See you could've used that same logic for P4 though.

Believe me I want to see Haru Okumura in the GG style more than anything but it's nonsensical.
P4Arena existed during a time GGXrd was just barely in development.
No way it could have happened.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
P4Arena existed during a time GGXrd was just barely in development.
No way it could have happened.
What I'm trying to get at is:

actually a moot point since I didn't realize P4D came out...in 2015, god I'm old...forget that point.

I stand by everything else I've said though. These Teams exist for a reason; I don't see why they'd suddenly swap control of the series.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Has there been a time where Arc System Works ever switched the teams when it came time to make a sequel? I imagine they would make sure the teams stay the same through the whole series, for consistency's sake at least.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Guys.

I made an entire post conceding I was almost defeated last night.
But this damn leak isn't what's doing me in.

Let me restate it again.

We have known about P5R and P5U for ages.
The GB fighter's existence has been known for a month now. (I understand that it would take some effort for a Japanese person to come upon these Western leaks, but I'm appalled that that tidbit is what's causing us to really believe this leak).

The leak has nothing else going for it except for things we've known about for ages.
I would know this better than anybody since I know Mystic, who was the one who unearthed the Atlus ryucorp domains that publicized the p5r and p5u abbreviations. Not that he's the source telling me this information, it's somebody else even deeper. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice can support me here. The Persona info looks legit. People did not know what P5R and P5U were before. People speculated P5R was racing because of an Atlus survey done for a Persona racing game, and people thought P5U stood for P5 Ultimate or Ultra. Additionally, the information about internal delays over the Persona fighting game is legit as is the P5R release date according to this source. So the Atlus part of the leak is not fake or piggybacking at all, what it says is true. It completely corroborates with what my contact has heard.

I understand that the P5R and P5U domains were publically known for over a year now, but the details of the leak are what completely match what Atlus employees have heard.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I would know this better than anybody since I know Mystic, who was the one who unearthed the Atlus ryucorp domains that publicized the p5r and p5u abbreviations. Not that he's the source telling me this information, it's somebody else even deeper. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice can support me here. The Persona info looks legit. People did not know what P5R and P5U were before. People speculated P5R was racing because of an Atlus survey done for a Persona racing game, and people thought P5U stood for P5 Ultimate or Ultra. Additionally, the information about internal delays over the Persona fighting game is legit as is the P5R release date according to this source. So the Atlus part of the leak is not fake or piggybacking at all, what it says is true. It completely corroborates with what my contact has heard.

I understand that the P5R and P5U domains were publically known for over a year now, but the details of the leak are what completely match what Atlus employees have heard.
It's over ain't it chief

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
It's over ain't it chief
I can't confirm Erdrick with this because I can only say that the Atlus info is 99% real. Leaving that 1% in there because it's from a single source, but they are connected deeply to Atlus so I feel like they are completely reliable here. They do not have Smash info, so perhaps that part of the leak was just fake stuff thrown in. I will say I think that it boosts Erdrick's odds a bit by association, but it does not guarantee of him or anything.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
If it means anything, Verge held off on naming any SE character because of their leak policies. I don't think he would at least side with Erdrick if he wasn't confident he wasn't leak bait.
Of course though do what you will with that info after that last reveal lol
Verge's judgement isn't always spot on. I specifically remember him saying in a DM to Loz18 that he heard they passed up on K. Rool, which even he thought was a little whack, and the Minecraft content is still a mystery.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can't confirm Erdrick with this because I can only say that the Atlus info is 99% real. Leaving that 1% in there because it's from a single source, but they are connected deeply to Atlus so I feel like they are completely reliable here. They do not have Smash info, so perhaps that part of the leak was just fake stuff thrown in. I will say I think that it boosts Erdrick's odds a bit by association, but it does not guarantee of him or anything.
I appreciate you trying to give me hope aha

Thank you for clarifying everything for me. I can understand the leak as being real a lot better now.

D

Deleted member

I'm also willing to bet it's much easier to develop P5A with a team who already worked in a Persona fighting game. Last thing you want is alienating the already existing fanbase by making it "feel" different or whatever other changes would happen in the transition.

Top Bottom