• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, if Sora was 100% owned by Square, you think we could had gotten him instead of Cloud for Smash 4?
I don't think we would have gotten Sora first, necessarily, but we probably would have gotten him next in line with a Mii costume in 4 as opposed to Geno's costume. It definitely would have upped his chances if he was entirely owned by Square. That being said, Cloud is such a big name and representative of what made modern FF the way it is today. He's both iconic and recognizable, and I'd arguably say he's moreso than Sora.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If we get Gex he needs to talk constantly and make horribly outdated 2010s references.

He calls Donkey Kong Harambe. When he gets KO'd he yells "I don't feel so goooooood...!!". He mentions the Grinch.

(I used to play a ton of Gex 3 as a kid and man he'd be a weird choice.)
"It looks like.... I am number one."

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
If we get Gex he needs to talk constantly and make horribly outdated 2010s references.

He calls Donkey Kong Harambe. When he gets KO'd he yells "I don't feel so goooooood...!!". He mentions the Grinch.

(I used to play a ton of Gex 3 as a kid and man he'd be a weird choice.)
"You know I had to do it to em" is one of Gex's victory quotes. One of his taunts is just him flossing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, where do you guys think they will place the Square character on the DLC order? I don't imagine there is much evidence to go off of when trying to determine that, but it is an important subject. All I feel on the subject is that I don't think the Square character will be the next one, but that is just my gut talking.

beans

Smash Lord
So, where do you guys think they will place the Square character on the DLC order? I don't imagine there is much evidence to go off of when trying to determine that, but it is an important subject. All I feel on the subject is that I don't think the Square character will be the next one, but that is just my gut talking.
Revealed at December in the latest

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Either 2 or 3.
Nothing to really support this, but if I don't see a Square reveal by 3, I'm going to seriously question the validity of the leaks revolving around a Square rep.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I also doubt he'd be revealed to help promote a prominent release on a competing consoles.
Wait, but didn't you also think Dante was likely? And there's no word of Persona 5 coming to the Switch yet.

Granted, under this ideal, I suppose it would help Phoenix Wright's chances, but don't you think that's a bit contradictory still?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You know, if Sora was 100% owned by Square, you think we could had gotten him instead of Cloud for Smash 4?
No.

I love Sora, but even he can't beat Cloud's shear popularity and selling factor.

And hey, it's probably for the better since Smash 4 helped get Cloud's pre-compilation persona back into the mainstream.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wait, but didn't you also think Dante was likely? And there's no word of Persona 5 coming to the Switch yet.

Granted, under this ideal, I suppose it would help Phoenix Wright's chances, but don't you think that's a bit contradictory still?
The Persona 5 Port is very likely happening, so while right now Joker may seem to promote a competing console's release, it won't soon.

Dante is a valid point though. I'll give you that. I see Leon Kennedy as more likely though, with Phoenix being a dark horse pick.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No.

I love Sora, but even he can't beat Cloud's shear popularity and selling factor.

And hey, it's probably for the better since Smash 4 helped get Cloud's pre-compilation persona back into the mainstream.
You mean how from his Kingdom Hearts appearance onward he kinda became a bit of an edgelord? I don't have much experience with FFVII, but I hear the complaint a lot from fans.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
No.

And as someone who voted for Cloud Strife and ended up being part of the mass voting surge that helped get him in, I'm quite happy with that.
The Persona 5 Port is very likely happening, so while right now Joker may seem to promote a competing console's release, it won't soon.

Dante is a valid point though. I'll give you that. I see Leon Kennedy as more likely though, with Phoenix being a dark horse pick.
Curious. What's making it very likely? I'm asking as someone who thinks it's coming too, but you seem like there's been some news flash that hints at such.
Dante is a valid point though. I'll give you that.
Ayup. With that line of thinking, unless we get ReRemake 2 or DMC5 annouced for the Switch next year, Phoenix Wright, our Ace Attorney is looking to be the most liable thankfully. He's unexpected, popular still, requested, and has games confirmed to be coming to the Switch.

beans

Smash Lord
You mean how from his Kingdom Hearts appearance onward he kinda became a bit of an edgelord? I don't have much experience with FFVII, but I hear the complaint a lot from fans.
It was fate somewhat. The edge personality trait was the most recognized about him apparently, so they just jumped on the money.
Would blame Advent Children for it tough.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It was fate somewhat. The edge personality trait was the most recognized about him apparently, so they just jumped on the money.
Either way, Nomura has quite a bit to answer for it.

EarlTamm EarlTamm See, before Smash 4 did the Smash thing off reviving more classic looks, personalities and designs, every subsequent thing after VII (not counting certain cameos playable or otherwise like Tactics) had this dumb fascination in making Cloud a mopey loser.

Hell, the reason Vincent (you know the actual brooding guy from VII) didn't show up in Kingdom Hearts was because they foolishly got the idea that he and Cloud were practically alike. Started with Kingdom Hearts, seemed like it might have been going away after his "arc" in KH1 was done...... and then Advent Children happened which also led to other stupid exaggerations like the size of Sephiroth's sword and yes even Sephiroth kinda got flanderized. Even worse, Dissidia also decided to get on that stupid train. It was getting pretty BAD for FFVII and Cloud fans who had to put with misconceptions of Cloud's thanks to Square themselves. Hell, some people fear the remake because of that. That is until Sakurai and Smash enter the picture.

Right down to the pose, Smash 4 gave Cloud his wit, his strong nature, his upward stance and not that "crouching crawling in my skin, I'm sick" stagger, and the "let's mosey" personality. Funnily enough Dissidia NT seemed to get that message too.

That's one of Smash's powers.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Cloud was always a kind of edgey character even in FFVII. In the game it actually used to irritate Barette.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
"Pretty boys with problems" (like Bennet the sage calls them) is pretty much a money maker in its self so yeah...

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Cloud was always a kind of edgey character even in FFVII. In the game it actually used to irritate Barette.
Not really. He was more a random Joe dork who eventually grew into his own person. The whole "edgy" thing was him trying to emulate soneone due to Mako poisoning.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Not really. He was more a random Joe dork who eventually grew into his own person. The whole "edgy" thing was him trying to emulate soneone due to Mako poisoning.
He definitely was edgey when he was going through the mako poisoning. Especially right at the beginning. He changed a little through the game but nothing too crazy.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Either way, Nomura has quite a bit to answer for it.

EarlTamm EarlTamm See, before Smash 4 did the Smash thing off reviving more classic looks, personalities and designs, every subsequent thing after VII (not counting certain cameos playable or otherwise like Tactics) had this dumb fascination in making Cloud a mopey loser.

Hell, the reason Vincent (you know the actual brooding guy from VII) didn't show up in Kingdom Hearts was because they foolishly got the idea that he and Cloud were practically alike. Started with Kingdom Hearts, seemed like it might have been going away after his "arc" in KH1 was done...... and then Advent Children happened which also led to other stupid exaggerations like the size of Sephiroth's sword and yes even Sephiroth kinda got flanderized. Even worse, Dissidia also decided to get on that stupid train. It was getting pretty BAD for FFVII and Cloud fans who had to put with misconceptions of Cloud's thanks to Square themselves. Hell, some people fear the remake because of that. That is until Sakurai and Smash enter the picture.

Right down to the pose, Smash 4 gave Cloud his wit, his strong nature, his upward stance and not that "crouching crawling in my skin, I'm sick" stagger, and the "let's mosey" personality. Funnily enough Dissidia NT seemed to get that message too.

That's one of Smash's powers.
Sakurai always try's to get the true essence of a character, down to every little detail. It's part of the reason why I don't see him ignoring the Disney stuff in the case of Sora. Add the fact that Sakurai has the power to revive what would be dead franchises, keep the ones in trouble breathing for far longer than they could have otherwise, or as you said, set already existing franchises in the correct direction, even if they are not Nintendo properties. And it is certainly not without hard work. Sakurai might as well be a god in the game developer world.
Yeah, Cloud was the guy who cross dressed in order to try and save his friend after all.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

I'm gonna laugh so hard when this turns out to have been a well hidden hint at who the Square rep is if they exist.

You all know who.

Hmm, I dunno. The Remake of 2 hasn't been annouced to be coming to the Switch. Sure, the Switch will be getting RE4 porter, but like you said for Sora's case, Leon would risk supporting a game on competing hardware in the very prime of its release.

Phoenix Wright, on the other hand is certainly a dark horse, who's been confirmed to be part of a series that Sakurai likes like with Persona 5, has quite a quirky unique and wacky set for E10+ friendly and unique move set for Sakurai to toy with. And would immensely help promote a game actually coming to the Switch, multi-platform or not, it's a keen tie-in.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Curious. What's making it very likely? I'm asking as someone who thinks it's coming too, but you seem like there's been some news flash that hints at such.
I'm not the person you asked, but I'll provide some reasoning here:

If the Granblue VS/Erdrick is true (I'm not saying it is, but for the sake of this point just believe it is), then that's the proof.

Beyond that, Persona 5 released for both PS4 and PS3, so I don't think a Switch port would be out of the picture, from a technical standpoint.

And of course, with Joker in Smash, it's much more likely, since every character in Smash has (or will be) made a main series appearance on a Nintendo console.

Of course there could be some other credible leak floating around right now (I'm not a leaker, so I wouldn't know), but based on the context provided, it's probably just a matter of time before we get a port.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As someone who considers Final Fantasy VII one of his favorite games, yet also hasn't experienced any of the FFVII spinoffs, hearing people be all "lol Cloud is an emo whiny poser!" just...I don't know man...

D

Deleted member

As someone who considers Final Fantasy VII one of his favorite games, yet also hasn't experienced any of the FFVII spinoffs, hearing people be all "lol Cloud is an emo whiny poser!" just...I don't know man...
I just pretend that Advent Children doesnt exist.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
He changed a little through the game but nothing too crazy
Anyone who's played up to the morning after the love scene with Tifa -ahem! I mean, the morning when the party goes to confront Sephiroth can tell you that's a load of horse hockey.

The lifestream segment is the ultimate turning point for him. Heck, even when he was "edgy", he still acted nice enough and wasn't "it's all other so why bother" like he was in Advent Children. He was still optimistic. Heck, this man did stuff as silly as crossdressing and he didn't even mope about that!

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I
Anyone who's played up to the morning after the love scene with Tifa -ahem! I mean, the morning when the party goes to confront Sephiroth can tell you that's a load of horse hockey.

The livestream segment is the ultimate turning point for him. Heck, even when he was "edgy", he still acted nice enough and wasn't "it's all other so why bother" like he was in Advent Children. He was still optimistic. Heck, this man did stuff as silly as crossdressing and he didn't even mope about that!
I thought about the crossdressing. It seemed out of character to me as opposed to when they were invading shinra at the beginning.

Talking about Cloud's personality in FF VII is kind of strange because probably about half of it is determined by the player's decisions and even then most of what he shows is influenced by the mako stuff. Throughout the whole game, if I'm remembering right, we barely get to see Cloud as just Cloud, since the game does the whole "we're going open-worldish now, so character development is going to take a back seat for a while" thing after he gets his identity issues straightened out. As a kid it seems he was really socially awkward, but that's not a lot to go on. One thing's for sure, though. He was never a quitter.

That being said, I like Advent Children. It's a cool story that's basically about depression (though I don't think it's critically all that great. There are a lot of issues). From personal experience, I think that Cloud being all depressed and hopeless wouldn't be all that unrealistic if he was a real person. Eventually, after things not working for too long and too often can get to people, even if they have always been people to rise to the challenge. It's basically a kind of realization that maybe you're not as capable as you thought you were. Not to mention that Cloud seems to be a bit of a dreamer if you look at the flashback stuff, making that kind of situation all the more likely.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm gonna laugh so hard when this turns out to have been a well hidden hint at who the Square rep is if they exist.

You all know who.
I mean.. It's not the first Sephiroth hint he has made. That's a pic that is literally on Chroms personal page on the official Smash Bros site.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I guess we're getting Isaac for DLC 'cause hints.

Unless you count E3's background as a hint for K. Rool, Sakurai doesn't hint y'all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean.. It's not the first Sephiroth hint he has made. That's a pic that is literally on Chroms personal page on the official Smash Bros site.
I don't really think we can take official screenshots as hints after that Rathalos pic everyone seemed to think was a hint for Isaac.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
What do you mean?
Oh, Sephiroth in FFVII is constantly stated as a man in a black Cape. And warping/flying happens to be one of his abilities.

So fans caught on to a potential reference to that when Alucard does so in Midgar while Sakurai was talking about him during the August Smash direct this year.

Top Bottom