• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Wasn't there something about Dante before E3 too? Maybe someone just got things mixed up. Maybe they were thinking that Devil May Cry 5 was announced at the Tokyo Game Show.
The 3 dante leaks that I’m aware of were all after e3. Maybe I’m missing one.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Not that I want to play eenie meanie on this, but that sounds really stupid. How the **** do you even bring specific details about a trailer (Dante fighting a dragon, humiliating a Fire Emblem character, using the DMC4 design, and so on) just to find out it's not for Smash? Given the way it was redacted, I'm pretty sure the person who said that could've told the difference between Smash footage and DMC footage.
At least with the Katalina stuff, Hitagi never said he saw her in the game or anything like that, which, on the other hand, could justify a misinterpretation (even though I still find it odd that he brought up talks between Nintendo and Cygames).

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
So correct me if I'm wrong but after overlooking a lot of fan polls, some SPECIFICALLY for Japan...

is Sora actually not more popular than Erdrick? I've seen Sora place top 5 in polls sometimes even for just Japan, while Erdrick or Slime chills around like top 15. Japan is unsure about it too because they know it's not popular over here.

Thinking over this logistically, and I'm putting my bias aside here, wouldn't it make more business sense to add Sora? He'd sell more than Erdrick like... everywhere. He's more popular in Japan with fans, he's definitely more popular in just about everywhere else, and if a kid sees Sora or Erdrick, they'll probably want to go with Sora due to recognition of the some of the Disney tidbits hidden on him like the mickey head on the keyblade or his comically large shoes. I'm really starting to doubt Erdrick more and more with each passing day, whereas at least with Incineroar I accepted that was for sure inevitable, but this just isn't clicking.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So correct me if I'm wrong but after overlooking a lot of fan polls, some SPECIFICALLY for Japan...

is Sora actually not more popular than Erdrick? I've seen Sora place top 5 in polls sometimes even for just Japan, while Erdrick or Slime chills around like top 15. Japan is unsure about it too because they know it's not popular over here.

Thinking over this logistically, and I'm putting my bias aside here, wouldn't it make more business sense to add Sora? He'd sell more than Erdrick like... everywhere. He's more popular in Japan with fans, he's definitely more popular in just about everywhere else, and if a kid sees Sora or Erdrick, they'll probably want to go with Sora due to recognition of the some of the Disney tidbits hidden on him like the mickey head on the keyblade or his comically large shoes. I'm really starting to doubt Erdrick more and more with each passing day, whereas at least with Incineroar I accepted that was for sure inevitable, but this just isn't clicking.
To be fair, Sora is just legitimately beloved in Japan, last I remember he was top 5/10 of favourite characters EVER in famitsu and never dropped below that.
Disney is the ONLY issue with him sadly.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
At this point I'm guessing either Geno or Sora. It would be criminal to ignore BOTH these massive fanbases. Leaning towards Sora because honestly who would expect it? Also HUGE headliner, in the upper echelon's of hype in general. Wouldn't mind it too much, even if I'm a big Geno fan. It would at least make Sora's equally sizable fanbase happy.
Would it though?

Don't get me wrong, I respect both fanbases, but equally large fanbases have been passed up in the past, and if both of them suffer from licensing complications like we think they are, then the size of their fanbases don't matter.
So, someone brought up an interesting point in one of the Discords I'm in. Remember the Dante leak about two months ago? It technically wound up being true because of Devil May Cry V: Dante Chaperones a Junior Prom. Basically it was a case of crossed wires or bad intel. "Dante's coming back? Oh, they must mean Smash." That sort of thing. A fair guess given the series was MIA for nearly 6 years, almost 11 if you (deliberately) ignore the attempted reboot.

What if Erdrick was a similar case of filling in the blanks or bad intel?
Dragon Quest XI is actually a prequel to Dragon Quest III and the main character is given the title of "Erdrick" at the end.
What if a remake of Dragon Quest III is on the way? Our regular comparisons to Marth are definitely appropriate in this case because Marth's game was remade for the SNES and DS. Meanwhile, Erdrick's was remade for the SNES but hasn't had a remake yet to introduce him to "modern audiences" like Marth's DS game after Brawl was released. Perhaps now is the time based on XI's global success and availability on all modern platforms? Food for thought.
If Erdrick's game is getting a remake then I'm even more willing to believe he'll be in Smash given that that would cement his legacy as the Marth of the series.
To be fair, Sora is just legitimately beloved in Japan, last I remember he was top 5/10 of favourite characters EVER in famitsu and never dropped below that.
And the thing is that Disney is simply too large to surmount. Even with everything going for Sora's it's balanced out by the sole fact that he's Disney.

Like, I'm hoping he can get in, but it relies on Disney playing ball, and that's a very big if.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If Disney was a nonfactor with getting Sora in Smash he would probably be the first DLC character announced.

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Sure, Disney is a problem, but there's been examples like Epic Mickey, the Afternoon Collection, and Disney's Art Academy. i think people are really overestimating how much of a problem it's gonna be to work with Disney. Also I didn't know people loved Sora that much good lord lmao

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Would you mind me ask on who you saw together with him on the top 5 spots?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember someone thinking Disney would probably "threaten" to buy Nintendo.

However, I don't see them doing the same with Minecraft despite the official Moana, Star Wars and Nightmare Before Christmas packs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you’re talking about that old famitsu one from 2010, Sora was no.5. If you’re curious, no.1 was snake, 2 was Cloud, 3 was mario and 4 was slime.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I respect both fanbases, but equally large fanbases have been passed up in the past, and if both of them suffer from licensing complications like we think they are, then the size of their fanbases don't matter.
Sorry, but legal issues is something that comes to every potential Square rep, not just Sora, and Geno, but Dragon Quest as well. Getting so many parties to agree with one and other isn't that easy no matter what region of the world you are looking at.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I remember someone thinking Disney would probably "threaten" to buy Nintendo.

However, I don't see them doing the same with Minecraft despite the official Moana, Star Wars and Nightmare Before Christmas packs.
I mean.. of what I've heard about them they would easily be hard with when it comes to licensing. But threaten to buy? That's stupid. I mean i Microsoft are unable to buy them back on 03, I can't see how Disney would be able to now.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Would you mind me ask on who you saw together with him on the top 5 spots?
Yeah there was one where he was 5, K Rool 4th, Spring Man 3rd, Bandanna Dee was 2nd, and Rex took first. That one was JUST Japan
Another one had Banjo 1st, Geno 2nd, I think Bandanna Dee was 3rd, and then Sora. Joker placed 49th on that poll out of 50

He also placed 5th in a tournament, but Lloyd Irving placed 4th so dunno how coorect that seems

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah there was one where he was 5, K Rool 4th, Spring Man 3rd, Bandanna Dee was 2nd, and Rex took first. That one was JUST Japan
Another one had Banjo 1st, Geno 2nd, I think Bandanna Dee was 3rd, and then Sora. Joker placed 49th on that poll out of 50

He also placed 5th in a tournament, but Lloyd Irving placed 4th so dunno how coorect that seems
Wait wait wait... Banjo was first on a Japanese based poll for Smash Brothers? WHAT? I thought that IP was only big here in the west

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am admiringly conflicted with Sora getting into Smash Bros. It will make several people happy but Sora is probably bottom 2 for who I want making it into Smash Bros. Maybe my least wanted of all time.

Figures the stingiest company would have a choice between my most wanted fighter for years and my least wanted fighter of all time with a one or the other kind of deal. I am definitely committed to the underdog in this fight.

I just remember spending the entire Smash 4 speculation cycle getting nasty trash talked by Sora fans within the small inside community I had. With that being said, I may despise the idea of him as a Smash Bros character but I also can't just throw a wet blanket on every one who likes him.

It also would hurt having the idea of Nintendo going so far out of their way just to obtain Sora for Smash Bros when Geno has been wanted for so many years. I think that would be the real killer for me. I would much rather take Erdrick and call it the neutral ending.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Also I dont have much respect for Krono so it doesn't help Sora's reputation at all.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I am admiringly conflicted with Sora getting into Smash Bros.

Figures the stingiest company would have a choice between my most wanted fighter for years and my least wanted fighter of all time with a one or the other kind of deal. I am definitely committed to the underdog in this fight.

I just remember spending the entire Smash 4 speculation cycle getting nasty trash talked by Sora fans within the small inside community I had. With that being said, I may despise the idea of him as a Smash Bros character but I also can't just throw a wet blanket on every one who likes him.

It also would hurt having the idea of Nintendo going so far out of their way just to obtain Sora for Smash Bros when Geno has been wanted for so many years. I think that would be the real killer for me. I would much rather take Erdrick and call it the neutral ending.

Also I dont have much respect for Krono so it doesn't help Sora's reputation at all.
Sora's been wanted just as long as Geno though. He appears on Sakurai's Brawl Fan-Suggestion Column alongside Geno.

Also, compared to the one-off Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts is a larger, relevant, more iconic series. Kingdom Hearts 3 has been Top 10 on Famitsu's Most Wanted Games list since its reveal in 2013. Do not underestimate Sora or his fanbase, because outside of forums like these Sora is incredibly popular. I apologize that some Sora fans were bad to you, but similar to how many say not to generalize the Geno fanbase, don't generalize the Sora fanbase.

Yeah, uh...can I get some source with that statement?
Sorry, but legal issues is something that comes to every potential Square rep, not just Sora, and Geno, but Dragon Quest as well. Getting so many parties to agree with one and other isn't that easy no matter what region of the world you are looking at.
The thing for Dragon Quest though is that Square Enix can more likely bring in the needed parties for Dragon Quest compared to Disney. This is exactly the case if we choose to believe the 2chan leak.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sora's been wanted just as long as Geno though. He appears on Sakurai's Brawl Fan-Suggestion Column alongside Geno.

Also, compared to the one-off Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts is a larger, relevant, more iconic series. Kingdom Hearts 3 has been Top 10 on Famitsu's Most Wanted Games list since its reveal in 2013. Do not underestimate Sora or his fanbase, because outside of forums like these Sora is incredibly popular. I apologize that some Sora fans were bad to you, but similar to how many say not to generalize the Geno fanbase, don't generalize the Sora fanbase.

Yeah, uh...can I get some source with that statement?

The thing for Dragon Quest though is that Square Enix can more likely bring in the needed parties for Dragon Quest compared to Disney. This is exactly the case if we choose to believe the 2chan leak.
Technically, in the “If there was a smash 2 poll” way back, Geno scored 5 votes.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/03/23/if-there-were-a-smash-2-poll/
So if we want to be technical Geno has been wanted for smash longer than Sora has existed

Last edited by a moderator:

beans

Smash Lord
Chocobo got 9 votes...
I'm thinking he's in fellas
In this totally new Sakurai article he says: "Actually the SE rep was meant to be Chocobo, but Cloud really looked like a chocobo, but from Fire Emblem, due to being anime with big knife. I took a look and said it was the perfect chocobo for DLC"

D

Deleted member

Come again??? I've heard of multiple Dante for Smash leaks, that thankfully haven't come to fruition, but never that one.
Yeah, it said that Donte was in with a white-haired alt. It was recently discovered on 8chan and people are thinking it’s legit cause it said Joker was in in November.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
No offense because you seem like a nice individual. But most likely based on what? Square is said to be the one that was the hardest one to work with, so who isn't to say that the other parties are as well? If Square would have so easy to get every other party together, then why did we not get more FF content in the base game?

Also, Akira Toriyama is said to be (and this is only something I've heard) being someone that demands his creation to be front and center with EVERY crossover. Something I'm firm to believe considering how they handle the Jump games, the crossover between Toriko Dragon Ball and One Piece and that Boom/Fortune Street comes off as more of a Dragon Quest meets Mario instead of the reverse... which would be a problem for a game like Smash.

I'm not saying that Dragon Quest is impossible but your most likely comes off as assumptions based on random text leaks right now
So again I ask. How is it most likely?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Yeah, it said that Donte was in with a white-haired alt. It was recently discovered on 8chan and people are thinking it’s legit cause it said Joker was in in November.
That would be laughably tone deaf. Sponsoring the now defunct reboot that didn't take off with fans to begin with...... yikes.

beans

Smash Lord
No offense because you seem like a nice individual. But most likely based on what? Square is said to be the one that was the hardest one to work with, so who isn't to say that the other parties are as well? If Square would have so easy to get every other party together, then why did we not get more FF content in the base game?

Also, Akira Toriyama is said to be (and this is only something I've heard) being someone that demands his creation to be front and center with EVERY crossover. Something I'm firm to believe considering how they handle the Jump games, the crossover between Toriko Dragon Ball and One Piece and that Boom/Fortune Street comes off as more of a Dragon Quest meets Mario instead of the reverse... which would be a problem for a game like Smash.

I'm not saying that Dragon Quest is impossible but your most likely comes off as assumptions based on random text leaks right now
So again I ask. How is it most likely?
Probs from:

DQ: They've been pushing DQ in the west, and Smash can put it into the spotlight of the mainstream. It would just benefit them more than would harm dealing with all other parties.

SE content in base game: SE just gives the bare minimun in any crossovers (ex Tekken 7, Assassins Creed "egypt one" ) and they like to be DLC. Poor base game content is expected

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ah, good to see Phoenix Wright all up in there.
Though thankfully, he'd still be quite an unexpected surprise, even without those polls.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I am admiringly conflicted with Sora getting into Smash Bros. It will make several people happy but Sora is probably bottom 2 for who I want making it into Smash Bros. Maybe my least wanted of all time.

I think saying it would be to “just” get Sora is underplaying how big it would be for Sora to be in Smash and the massive legacy of Kingdom Hearts. Pretty much all Geno has going for him is popularity among diehard fans.

Is there a reason Sora would be bad while Erdrick and Cloud are fine besides a few annoying people on the internet? Lord knows we’d never see K. Rool or Ridley if that was any sort of barometer.

D

Deleted member

Are you sure? The bottom 25 has characters like the Ray models, Raiden, and even Goku. 2B placing that high to be expected also seems weird.
Yep. They were asking who you anticipated to be in, not wanted. Granted, votes for wanted characters definitely got in, but it’s not super reliable.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I voted Crono because I'm pretty sure Sakurai has a soft spot for that game, and anyone from Dragon Quest may have a nice shot.

Sora doesn't seem to fit the Smash criteria but who knows, he would have been my 3rd pick.

I don't think Geno has a chance.

I don't think we're getting another FF fighter.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Wait. Waluigi and Isaac also high up? It's one thing that NoJ maybe are unaware with the western audience.. But going by that one, Waluigi and Isaac seem to be big even in Japan...

Top Bottom