• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

This thread is pretty lax luckily, people are just getting riled up over characters. There were a few times where people were throwing logical fallacies, especially false dichotomy.
Right. It's been mostly chill lately, but overall people just gotta not let this **** get to their heads. We're all in this together for the long run now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ya'll gonna all cry when it's my homegirl Lara Croft.

I'm telling ya.

It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. And just like Spongebob? I'm ready.

It's never gonna ****ing happen. -sigh-

D

Deleted member

I'm telling ya.

Nah man they're gonna do a second FF rep its gonna be Gilgamesh
ahahahahaha please help me

REZERO

Smash Journeyman

I'm telling ya.

INSTEAD WE'LL GET STEVE FROM MINECRAFT!

I hope that makes you feel better.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
INSTEAD WE'LL GET STEVE FROM MINECRAFT!

I hope that makes you feel better.
I have no qualms with Steve.

Minecraft is megawatt and proved itself while also being megawatt.

It deserves something in Smash Bros.

I just have questions about how you'd implement Steve because of his limited range of movement.

It'd be like if Smash Bros was a cartoon fighter for adult cartoons and you had to add someone from South Park. The limited range of movement and body proportions is such a huge part of Steve/Cartman. How would you go about that?

hinode

Smash Cadet
SMRPG as a game is not niche, no. But Geno is pretty low on the pantheon. He's about on the same level as characters like... oh, I dunno, Lucca from Chrono Trigger. His legacy is mostly off the back of his diehard fans.
Thinking about it, Super Mario RPG's legacy to the greater Mario franchise consists of things like timed hits, the expectation for some platforming during dungeons, Mario using jump and fireball-based special attacks rather than Final Fantasy-like sword attacks or magic, an often lighthearted and whimsical script, and Bowser's personality in general to an extent. These are all elements where Nintendo drew clear inspiration from SMRPG for subsequent Mario spinoffs after their breakup with Squaresoft, things that gave the game sufficient historical significant to end up on the SNES classic in all regions.

Geno (and Mallow, though he's infinitely less popular) is something different, an element of Super Mario RPG that's pretty much exclusive to that one game. Not only has not Nintendo not put him in any of their future Mario RPGs (aside from one brief cameo in Superstar Saga, and even that was removed from the remake), but they haven't bothered to make anything resembling a spiritual successor or outright expy of him either. Geno fans have never gotten anything like the constant expies and visual references of Kain Highwind that Square keeps making in future installments of Final Fantasy, to name another fan favorite from an SNES RPG.

I think that's a big reason why Geno's fans have been so vocal about him through all these years. He's not just a popular element of Super Mario RPG, but one that's been almost completely left behind by the Mario franchise (as well as Square's future non-Nintendo RPGs) as the years have marched on. Fans who liked SMRPG's then-unique battle system or Bowser's characterization in that game or a playable Princess Toadstool have all gotten games that catered to their tastes to some extent, even if it wasn't a direct sequel. All Geno fans have ever gotten was that one M&L cameo and a Mii Costume in Smash 4, plus that one interview where Sakurai said he wanted Geno in since Brawl. Hell, even fans of other characters from a one-off Square RPG during the 16 bit era like Rydia could probably find analogous characters to appreciate in one of the many many 32-bit era PSX RPGs. I can't think of any real "Geno-like" characters off the top of my head, especially on a Nintendo system.

In summary, I suspect that Geno's near-total absence from SMRPG's legacy in subsequent Mario RPGs/spinoffs in general has actually made his fanbase all the more vocal. In a world where so many other elements of SMRPG have been enshrined in the Mario franchise (especially its two RPG subseries), Geno's fans are afraid (subconsciously, at least) that he will be forgotten if they don't speak up, which makes them exceptionally vocal relative to the size of their fanbase overall.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd also add any time Peach is more active and less damsel-y and more feisty and go get them to Super Mario RPG as well.

Seriously a lot of the current Mario formula is owed to Super Mario RPG.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I have no qualms with Steve.

Minecraft is megawatt and proved itself while also being megawatt.

It deserves something in Smash Bros.

I just have questions about how you'd implement Steve because of his limited range of movement.

It'd be like if Smash Bros was a cartoon fighter for adult cartoons and you had to add someone from South Park. The limited range of movement and body proportions is such a huge part of Steve/Cartman. How would you go about that?
I mean thats the problem, would you want a character like that in smash? Presence in smash is good but Steve doesn't really present much to the table.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean thats the problem, would you want a character like that in smash? Presence in smash is good but Steve doesn't really present much to the table.
If you could work around his movement issues and looks? It's all fine. There's a fine terraforming moveset in Steve that has yet to be implemented into Smash Bros.

Moveset potential is high. It's just rigging a moveset to that model that's the main issue.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
If you could work around his movement issues and looks? It's all fine. There's a fine terraforming moveset in Steve that has yet to be implemented into Smash Bros.

Moveset potential is high. It's just rigging a moveset to that model that's the main issue.
Also the way its presented will matter. Now that Smash Ultimate has a huge roster + the GSP meta, Sakurai will have to think how the meta will be changed by implementing a character like Steve.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also the way its presented will matter. Now that Smash Ultimate has a huge roster + the GSP meta, Sakurai will have to think how the meta will be changed by implementing a character like Steve.
I mean, sure, but you also have to consider that he added a character from a combo heavy action series like Bayonetta without really thinking about how much potential for being busted that could be.

I think that's a bigger problem in a fast paced fighting game than a terraforming moveset would. A terraforming moveset could either be busted or make Steve very very low tier because he'd be very open to attacks while building.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I mean, sure, but you also have to consider that he added a character from a combo heavy action series like Bayonetta without really thinking about how much potential for being busted that could be.

I think that's a bigger problem in a fast paced fighting game than a terraforming moveset would. A terraforming moveset could either be busted or make Steve very very low tier because he'd be very open to attacks while building.
I agree but that was SM4SH. In Ultimate it looks like the intend to make characters more balanced updating with more patches. If a character is to foreign to the meta they won't be considered probably.

Also Steve probably won't be weak, DLC characters tend to be a bit stronger when released because they want to sell those characters.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Nah man they're gonna do a second FF rep its gonna be Gilgamesh
ahahahahaha please help me
Tbh I just wanted my girl Terra in the game, but Final Fantasy rights are a huge clusterf*** that Sakurai is probably not gonna wanna have to deal with again, so the chances of that happening are basically -200% at this point. Honestly never really had a horse in this race, I'm just along for the wild ride that is Smash speculation.

we poppin the biggest bottles when the quiet man gets in tho

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Thinking about it, Super Mario RPG's legacy to the greater Mario franchise consists of things like timed hits, the expectation for some platforming during dungeons, Mario using jump and fireball-based special attacks rather than Final Fantasy-like sword attacks or magic, an often lighthearted and whimsical script, and Bowser's personality in general to an extent. These are all elements where Nintendo drew clear inspiration from SMRPG for subsequent Mario spinoffs after their breakup with Squaresoft, things that gave the game sufficient historical significant to end up on the SNES classic in all regions.

Geno (and Mallow, though he's infinitely less popular) is something different, an element of Super Mario RPG that's pretty much exclusive to that one game. Not only has not Nintendo not put him in any of their future Mario RPGs (aside from one brief cameo in Superstar Saga, and even that was removed from the remake), but they haven't bothered to make anything resembling a spiritual successor or outright expy of him either. Geno fans have never gotten anything like the constant expies and visual references of Kain Highwind that Square keeps making in future installments of Final Fantasy, to name another fan favorite from an SNES RPG.

I think that's a big reason why Geno's fans have been so vocal about him through all these years. He's not just a popular element of Super Mario RPG, but one that's been almost completely left behind by the Mario franchise (as well as Square's future non-Nintendo RPGs) as the years have marched on. Fans who liked SMRPG's then-unique battle system or Bowser's characterization in that game or a playable Princess Toadstool have all gotten games that catered to their tastes to some extent, even if it wasn't a direct sequel. All Geno fans have ever gotten was that one M&L cameo and a Mii Costume in Smash 4, plus that one interview where Sakurai said he wanted Geno in since Brawl. Hell, even fans of other characters from a one-off Square RPG during the 16 bit era like Rydia could probably find analogous characters to appreciate in one of the many many 32-bit era PSX RPGs. I can't think of any real "Geno-like" characters off the top of my head, especially on a Nintendo system.

In summary, I suspect that Geno's near-total absence from SMRPG's legacy in subsequent Mario RPGs/spinoffs in general has actually made his fanbase all the more vocal. In a world where so many other elements of SMRPG have been enshrined in the Mario franchise (especially its two RPG subseries), Geno's fans are afraid (subconsciously, at least) that he will be forgotten if they don't speak up, which makes them exceptionally vocal relative to the size of their fanbase overall.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

We want our guy back!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Here are my unrealistic wants:
  • Erdrick (Dragon Quest III)
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • 2B (NieR: Automata)
That's right, all the rest of the DLC is Square Enix characters. Reggie said to expect the unexpected, therefore NO ONE will suspect all 4 of the remaining DLC to be all SE fighters. Makes perfect sense to me.

This will 100% happen. Trust me.

:'(

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
This is a pipe dream and never happening but they should totally do a season focused on Square reps throw in Geno for Fan demand, throw in Erdrick for being Legendary, throw in Sora for Fan demand and Being the protagonist to a big franchise, throw in some wildcard like Gex or something for the luls, and throw in Septhiroth for good measure.

Would make alot of people happy.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
This is a pipe dream and never happening but they should totally do a season focused on Square reps throw in Geno for Fan demand, throw in Erdrick for being Legendary, throw in Sora for Fan demand and Being the protagonist to a big franchise, throw in some wildcard like Gex or something for the luls, and throw in Septhiroth for good measure.

Would make alot of people happy.
Please do not poison me with dreams of things that cannot be.:sadeyes:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oooh, you know who would make for a great SE rep? The true final boss of Octopath Traveler!

I even have a great idea for his final Smash!

Whichever characters gets trapped in it are forced to go through 8 easy, boring as all hell battles, and, without any save point available, are forced to fight the true final boss, and lose. The characters get so mad, they run off stage and SD.

but seriously **** Galdera and whoever designed this final dungeon and final boss for Octopath Traveler

StormC

Smash Hero

Whether or not that's true though, it's odd because basically every RPG is like that. Where are the fanbases rallying for characters like Vivian or Parakarry to return? Or you look at a game like Final Fantasy where basically every character is a one-off. Adelbert Steiner will probably never be in a major game again, but it seems like Final Fantasy fans are fine with that. Heck, where's the support for Mallow? He was even on the mystical Smash 2 poll.

I guess you could say Geno just had characteristics that connected to the fanbase more, but literally every other SMRPG character is in the same limbo as he is, but it's only him fans clamor for.

I'm not saying wanting Geno is bad or wrong, it's just always been strange to me how much this character, specifically, got rallied behind.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Whether or not that's true though, it's odd because basically every RPG is like that. Where are the fanbases rallying for characters like Vivian or Parakarry to return? Or you look at a game like Final Fantasy where basically every character is a one-off. Adelbert Steiner will probably never be in a major game again, but it seems like Final Fantasy fans are fine with that. Heck, where's the support for Mallow? He was even on the mystical Smash 2 poll.

I guess you could say Geno just had characteristics that connected to the fanbase more, but literally every other SMRPG character is in the same limbo as he is, but it's only him fans clamor for.

I'm not saying wanting Geno is bad or wrong, it's just always been strange to me how much this character, specifically, got rallied behind.
I think Geno had the advantage of mystery. We still don't know everything about him. We don't know where he came from, who is the higher authority he serves, or even the full extent of his history. While Mallow is cool and all, we got his backstory and we saw his arc unfold and how it ended. With Geno, we did not get to see that to the same extent. And to have a character like that never appear again, when he was such a new oddity to the Mario series in the game(He is pretty much an angel possessing an action figure), it feels like an opportunity missed. All of this backs up the cool abilities and design of Geno, making him stand out all the more.
Edit: I also think this reason is also why he is more supported than other Mario RPG characters, not just why it is over Mallow. Also, I think the reason this is different from FF characters is that Super Mario is a series where characters appear from game to game all the time, and Geno definitely had an advantage being apart of the first Mario RPG game with that in mind. At the time, many likely though he would appear again eventually, as Mario characters often do. Mario RPG characters often don't make more than one serious appearance of course, as we now know(Except for a few select characters in M&L and cameo's PM), but that was not a known trait at the time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
May I ask why you're not 100% on Erdrick?
Because PolarPanda's careful and, from what I've seen, always takes things with a healthy and rational grain of salt. All the people completely cashing in their chips for Erdrick may regret it because we might not have all the information or it may be flat out wrong ala leak bait. My thought is that the narrative is a little too convenient, especially if people have supposedly been getting fired left and right for months for the info getting out. Despite Square Enix supposedly beating leakers to death with office chairs and being the most strict in the industry, we know waaaay too much information as it stands.

Joker was a complete surprise for even people deep inside (yermum, HA) and now we suddenly know his entire DLC pack and Erdrick's? Not to say that Erdrick's not happening but we have never known this much information before a character reveal, including Smash 4 leaks. For example, Simon was known but Richter wasn't and neither were the billion cameos of Dracula's Castle. Nobody knew about Morray Towers either. Like I said, it's way too convenient and it raises a ton of questions.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Because PolarPanda's careful and, from what I've seen, always takes things with a healthy and rational grain of salt. All the people completely cashing in their chips for Erdrick may regret it because we might not have all the information or it may be flat out wrong ala leak bait. My thought is that the narrative is a little too convenient, especially if people have supposedly been getting fired left and right for months for the info getting out. Despite Square Enix supposedly beating leakers to death with office chairs and being the most strict in the industry, we know waaaay too much information as it stands.

Joker was a complete surprise for even people deep inside (yermum, HA) and now we suddenly know his entire DLC pack and Erdrick's? Not to say that Erdrick's not happening but we have never known this much information before a character reveal, including Smash 4 leaks. For example, Simon was known but Richter wasn't and neither were the billion cameos of Dracula's Castle. Nobody knew about Morray Towers either. Like I said, it's way too convenient and it raises a ton of questions.
Here's a perfect example of why I can't say with a straight face that Erdick is a lock based on everything we have

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I have a question for the thread as a whole. Out of the list of character's, which of their games have you played? For me, I grew up on KH and KH2, while I have just recently dove into SMRPG as a result of Smash speculation.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know, I have a question for the thread as a whole. Out of the list of character's, which of their games have you played? For me, I grew up on KH and KH2, while I have just recently dove into SMRPG as a result of Smash speculation.
A l l
O f
T h e m

No seriously, I played all games those Characters appeared in.

D

Deleted member

I've never played a KH game, but the rest I have played. SMRPG was actually one of the first RPGs I ever played, while the others I actually only played more recently (within the past few years)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A l l
O f
T h e m

No seriously, I played all games those Characters appeared in.
Well then, I was not expecting that to be the first answer. I guess it's fitting that you made this thread then, as you know all sides involved to a good extent.
I've never played a KH game, but the rest I have played. SMRPG was actually one of the first RPGs I ever played, while the others I actually only played more recently (within the past few years)
If you are at all curious of KH, there has been plenty of collection's released in the lead up to KH3.

D

Deleted member

Well then, I was not expecting that to be the first answer. I guess it's fitting that you made this thread then, as you know all sides involved to a good extent.

If you are at all curious of KH, there has been plenty of collection's released in the lead up to KH3.
It's been on my radar but not exactly a priority. I'm not really a Disney fan lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've played them all except Dragon Quest which I mostly know through cultural osmosis. I had a GBC Dragon Warrior game I played for a few minutes and I've seen a DQIII speedrun but that's it. But yeah, I've played the other games/series to completion.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
All of them, though I didn't actually finish DQ3. That will change though if Erdrick makes it in.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Final Fantasy 7 and Super Mario RPG. Never been that interested in KH and never got the chance to play a DQ game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be fair, the insiders who called Grinch Leak fake had proof, like a video or script or something.

Here, however, they only have a telephone line and a convenient leak from Japan.
Exactly. The Grinch leak was much different because insiders had mountains of evidence that it was fake, it's just that they weren't allowed to publically share it. As GameExplain, er, explained, they were between a rock and a hard place because if they openly talked about it, they probably would have lost their partnership with Nintendo and the fans would have jumped down their throats anyways so they just avoided talking about it. They had video, pictures, and even contacts with play testers but all of this was under strict NDA so nobody dared shared it aside from text confirmations that it was fake.

I don't believe the leak, but Dragon Quest isn't that niche in the West, is it? It was even featured in a few episodes of the Captain N cartoon which originated in North America.
Captain N ended 27 years ago. I'm 31 and I was in preschool at the time. I went into this yesterday but Dragon Quest has not been a big part of Western gamers culture in a long, long time. You don't see major fan animations. You don't see music remixes very often. You could probably get a whole room of people at a place like Comic Con to sing Wily's Castle from Megaman 2, the Chocobo theme, or even Beware the Forest's Mushrooms but most don't recognize the Dragon Quest theme. You don't see memes (SMRPG has had several over the years in both the West and Japan). Aside from the rare Slime reference like in Cup Head, it's rarely noted in pop culture. As I noted yesterday, all the third party characters in Smash aside from Bayonetta and Joker have been referenced in Robot Chicken at some point.

Western gaming culture giants like Game Grumps and AVGN have never had Dragon Quest games on their regular shows. People have even said in here that Dragon Quest merch is really hard to find in the West as even niche gaming stores usually don't stock it. By the numbers, the best received ones in the West were the original on the NES, VIII in 2005 on the PS2, and XI very recently on, well, pretty much everything with an electrical current going through it and a screen (which I think explains the sudden uptick in popularity but I digress). This all said, yes, Dragon Quest is very niche in the West. It's not hated or anything, it just kind of exists and never established a meaningful cultural depth in the West like other NES classics like Megaman, Castlevania, and Final Fantasy did (Hell, JRPGs were niche, period, in the West until FF VII and there's still few exceptions).

D

Deleted member

Super Mario RPG and only Super Mario RPG. Considering playing Chrono Trigger. Not very interested in KH, DQ, or FF

beans

Smash Lord
Crono, Erdrick and Geno were trough emulation
Long story short, my cousins had emulators on their computers and I had somewhat of a free access to them during the holiday's trip to the family gathering.
Also my Uncle Mario (yes, his name is actually Mario) gave me his personal emulation folder, with N64 games I didnt touch, because they need analog sticks to be played well, and 300 hundred SNES roms. Let me say I was a really happy kid. Not so much after the computer bited the dust in the end of SMRPG playtrough.
Also also, Chrono Trigger I played trough an emulator disc on a PS2. That also died. Man I got a streak going.

Sora wasnt trough emulation and if I hadnt seen Donald and Goofy so early making me go nuts, I would have probally dropped the series because of RE:CoM's card game jank. It would be a shame since my love for action games come from the KH scavenge hunt I had after playing it. Lucky thing I like Yu-Gi-Ohs (Edit: also hyucking hell, Sora's keychains dropped harder than I would've dropped the series between KH1 and CoM)

Last edited:
Top Bottom