• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be fair, nearly all credible leakers said the Grinch was fake.

And in this situation, nearly all credible leakers are saying it's Erdrick.

So I don't feel like the Grinch context is very good for an anti-Erdrick argument.
To be fair?

The credible leakers here are just Verge, Xenother, Hitagi, and you, right?
Or am I mistaken.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be fair, the insiders who called Grinch Leak fake had proof, like a video or script or something.

Here, however, they only have a telephone line and a convenient leak from Japan.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It's like no one has learned from the Grinch leak.
I didn't learn anything because there wasn't anything to learn about it, other than remaining calm and not lose my **** if it were debunked. I also kept what Vergeben, Emily, Spawn Wave, and other guys said in my mind to know that they could (and turned out to) be right about what they said; even if everyone tried to tell me they were frauds (they weren't).

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
To be fair?

The credible leakers here are just Verge, Xenother, Hitagi, and you, right?
Or am I mistaken.
I'm not 100% on Erdrick myself, but yes. While it's true there are less people openly saying Erdrick than there were openly saying anti-Grinch, it's still not a good comparison. Primarily because known leakers were the ones saying not to trust Grinch in the first place. That was what I was trying to get at... Not that it confirms Erdrick in itself or anything, I was trying to say if we're playing the 'trust no-one' game by using the Grinch leak, it's probably not the best argument. There are better ways.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm not 100% on Erdrick myself, but yes. While it's true there are less people openly saying Erdrick than there were openly saying anti-Grinch, it's still not a good comparison. Primarily because known leakers were the ones saying not to trust Grinch in the first place. That was what I was trying to get at... Not that it confirms Erdrick in itself or anything, I was trying to say if we're playing the 'trust no-one' game by using the Grinch leak, it's probably not the best argument. There are better ways.
I just think this is an entirely different situation(That being DLC), and should be treated as such. No one predicted Joker after all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Agreed. If anything, TGA is the real thing we need to look at. Insiders were claiming no reveals at TGAs except for Hitagi, who was saying we'd get a DQ character revealed. We got Joker instead, blowing all of the insiders out of the water, even Polar's. Polar said not to get hopes high for the TGA because there was nothing yet heard about anything Smash-related from their insider.

If insiders were that much more positive (especially Vergeben, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong!) that TGAs wouldn't have a reveal, wherein they did (as a character no one saw coming), it really makes you think if they're being spoonfed all of the wrong information. The only insider who was right in all of this was Polar's saying that no one knows the DLC, and Joker only proved their source right.

Again, we have to wait and see. Temper your expectations.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Hitagi guy doesn't even seem that legit. It looks like he's collecting information on the internet he found rather than getting it from a source.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I did learn from the Grinch leak; never to get my expectations up.
And this is just an extension of that philosophy.
What I'm trying to say is that people are jumping to conclusions way too quickly just because of a leak. Could Erdrick get in? Absolutely. But he's not guaranteed yet. I don't know why people are still even clinging to leakers after Joker happened.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sold on Erdrick yet (both on being the character or being interested in him whatsoever)

but, if Erdrick gets in, Sora goes down with Geno, and that's absolutely brutal.

If I see a Sora Mii costume someone will die because it means they went through that much legal trouble for a costume I'll literally cry myself to sleep for a week

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh yea I totally agree I just wanted to clarify those who believe in Erdrick.

I'm not sold on Erdrick yet (both on being the character or being interested in him whatsoever)

but, if Erdrick gets in, Sora goes down with Geno, and that's absolutely brutal.

If I see a Sora Mii costume someone will die because it means they went through that much legal trouble for a costume I'll literally cry myself to sleep for a week
Need one of y'all to draw Geno and Sora holding hands and dying like in the Spongebob Movie when it's all over

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

I'll be right there with you, because that means the geno fandom got downgraded to PNG status.

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, Geno being a spirit is kind of funny now that I think about it.

I mean, geno is actually supposed to already be a spirit in SMRPG's story, and he possesses the wooden doll Gaz possesses.

So, now that he got attacked by Galeem, he now is...a double spirit? is he still the doll as he possesses Sheik? Ummm..

D

Deleted member

You know, Geno being a spirit is kind of funny now that I think about it.

I mean, geno is actually supposed to already be a spirit in SMRPG's story, and he possesses the wooden doll Gaz possesses.

So, now that he got attacked by Galeem, he now is...a double spirit? is he still the doll as he possesses Sheik? Ummm..
If I recall correctly he possesses whatever's strong.
Sheik was top tier in Smash 4.
See what I'm getting at?

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. If anything, TGA is the real thing we need to look at. Insiders were claiming no reveals at TGAs except for Hitagi, who was saying we'd get a DQ character revealed. We got Joker instead, blowing all of the insiders out of the water, even Polar's. Polar said not to get hopes high for the TGA because there was nothing yet heard about anything Smash-related from their insider.

If insiders were that much more positive (especially Vergeben, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong!) that TGAs wouldn't have a reveal, wherein they did (as a character no one saw coming), it really makes you think if they're being spoonfed all of the wrong information. The only insider who was right in all of this was Polar's saying that no one knows the DLC, and Joker only proved their source right.

Again, we have to wait and see. Temper your expectations.
Hitagi never said anything about DQ at The Game Awards.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

If Sora is a Mii Costume yet Edrick a character, then Nintendo would be in a serious world of trouble with bad reactions. I mean, if Isaac fans (according to Polar Panda) gave them some serious flack... just imagine how Sora fans would feel like if their character would get a Mii Costume and they see that he didn't become playable over what is more likely a literal nobody for most of them.

It's situations like these (outside of the obvious licensing between so many parties) that I'm skeptical over Erdick even if he isn't impossible. Square is sitting on two of the most demanded characters in Smash Brothers and they would add a literal nobody for most of the world? I mean, even if I stand about how people look at the anime sword man department, if they really wanted to add another sword user that isn't Sora or not want to add Geno, Square should go with someone like Noctis or Sephiroth, especially the latter one considering his status because they at least have a ton of fans worldwide.

No offense to the Dragon Quest fans here, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think the reaction will be sunshine and rainbows towards him unless you live in Japan

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I don't believe the leak, but Dragon Quest isn't that niche in the West, is it? It was even featured in a few episodes of the Captain N cartoon which originated in North America.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
To be fair, nearly all credible leakers said the Grinch was fake.
no dude, the """insiders""" fell for leak bait leakers btfo

/s

In all seriousness it's hard for me to put much stock in these rumors. People say that there's a Square character that could be X or Y, and I can't tell who embellished what in this dumb game of telephone, assuming that there's any truth to it to begin with.

D

Deleted member

If Sora is a Mii Costume yet Edrick a character, then Nintendo would be in a serious world of trouble with bad reactions. I mean, if Isaac fans (according to Polar Panda) gave them some serious flack... just imagine how Sora fans would feel like if their character would get a Mii Costume and they see that he didn't become playable over what is more likely a literal nobody for most of them.

It's situations like these (outside of the obvious licensing between so many parties) that I'm skeptical over Erdick even if he isn't impossible. Square is sitting on two of the most demanded characters in Smash Brothers and they would add a literal nobody for most of the world? I mean, even if I stand about how people look at the anime sword man department, if they really wanted to add another sword user that isn't Sora or not want to add Geno, Square should have gotten with someone like Noctis or Sephiroth, especially the latter one considering his status because they at least have a ton of fans worldwide.

No offense to the Dragon Quest fans here, but I think you are underestimate the reactions that Edrick will get all things considered
I'm aware, but that doesn't sway my opinion much. I think that if a DQ rep is in the game then they earned their spot, regardless of reception.
I don't believe the leak, but Dragon Quest isn't that niche in the West, is it? It was even featured in a few episodes of the Captain N cartoon which originated in North America.
I certainly don't think niche is the proper term, no less niche than something like Bayonetta at least. Just, "unpopular" would be a better term in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
mmm ehh

It's...pretty niche honestly.
At least in the modern times.

Not SUPER, like we kinda put it down too much but...it's not really super big.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Hitagi never said anything about DQ at The Game Awards.
Not sure where people are getting that. I'm pretty sure it was LeakyPandy who predicted DQ at the game awards, but we don't need special confirmation to know pandy is full of it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly alot of this blind faith in Erdrick reads just like that blind faith.

It's based around ''OH WOW THIS LEAK GOT SOMETHING RIGHT THAT WAS TOTALLLY KNOWN BECAUSE HITAGI HAD A BIG MOUTH AND TALKED ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS."

And totally ignores how the same leak went in to detail about OTHER dlc characters as well.

I swear it's just like people are so set on getting the Square thing over with they throw themselves at whatever seems likely or realistic to them.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'm aware, but that doesn't sway my opinion much. I think that if a DQ rep is in the game then they earned their spot, regardless of reception.

That's all fair and good. But I can't wrap my head around how people think Edrick would go over well discount Japan like so many here seem to think all things considered.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It is. When around 95% of the sales are in Japan then it sure is niche.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's nice to know LeakyPandy was full of it with all their Smash "leaks."

Everything they said was wrong, other than "Skull Kid isn't playable" but he sure wasn't a boss, either, woop-de-doo.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

It's situations like these (outside of the obvious licensing between so many parties) that I'm skeptical over Erdick even if he isn't impossible. Square is sitting on two of the most demanded characters in Smash Brothers and they would add a literal nobody for most of the world? I mean, even if I stand about how people look at the anime sword man department, if they really wanted to add another sword user that isn't Sora or not want to add Geno, Square should go with someone like Noctis or Sephiroth, especially the latter one considering his status because they at least have a ton of fans worldwide.

No offense to the Dragon Quest fans here, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think the reaction will be sunshine and rainbows towards him unless you live in Japan
I have to agree with this 100%. Besides, like i said before, DLC sells characters that people want, not characters that just have importance in gaming history but nobody really cares about their game on the west. I would be baffled if they really choose Erdrick over Sora with how KH is a 100% assured franchise that sells these days on every freaking region including japan as well. If they aim for money, Sora or even Geno are both the best choices here, Erdrick wouldn't sell that much at all just because of his game's legacy with the genre, cause that's not a reason why people buy a dlc anyway. I'm remaining super skeptical here about Erdrick as well, and it's nothing against the franchise, but against Nintendo's choices if that's how it ends being. I mean, if we got Joker, that already is a sign of them aiming at characters that people are currently loving (and their origin games) and they know they will sell at the modern time, so it's really hard for me to see them go the complete opposite after that, lol.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's nice to know LeakyPandy was full of it with all their Smash "leaks."

Everything they said was wrong, other than "Skull Kid isn't playable" but he sure wasn't a boss, either, woop-de-doo.
Doesn't LeakyPandy has such a bad track record that they have stated that they are surprised people still following them?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If Sora is a Mii Costume yet Edrick a character, then Nintendo would be in a serious world of trouble with bad reactions.
As much as I would prefer Sora over Erdrick, I doubt Nintendo would care about the bad reactions if he got in. This is the same company that gave us Paper Mario: Sticker Star and thought the Switch Online service was acceptable. Besides, Erdrick being added would likely be Square Enix's decision, not Nintendo's. Regardless, if Erdrick was chosen, I wouldn't even be mad. I would be interested to see how he plays. Plus he would be the closest we'd ever get to having Goku playable. I mean, "Goku with a sword" sounds pretty awesome, right? Again, though. He isn't guaranteed yet.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Doesn't LeakyPandy has such a bad track record that they have stated that they are surprised people still following them?
I don't know, they always act like they have legit information/good sources from what I remember, and they also had a dumb "spoiler-free" policy for a while (seriously y'all are claiming to be leakers and your words are hints anyway).

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
As much as I would prefer Sora over Erdrick, I doubt Nintendo would care about the bad reactions if he got in. This is the same company that gave us Paper Mario: Sticker Star and thought the Switch Online service was acceptable. Besides, Erdrick being added would likely be Square Enix's decision, not Nintendo's. Regardless, if Erdrick was added, I wouldn't even be mad. I would be interested to see how he plays.

Not really, because it would be Nintendos choices at the end. It's not like they go to Square, ask for a character, Square ties them and forces them to sign papers to add Dragon Quest. If they don't want one, they don't have to.

Edit - Plus.. no Goku with a sword doesn't interest me one bit. And I'm a big Dragon Ball fan

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I still find it funny and hypocritical that some people on here downplay and bash Dragon Quest, the grandfather of JRPGs, by calling it niche, but at the same time want Geno even though he is one of the most niche and obscure characters in history to ever exist, with no real legacy of his own. I feel like there's some disconnection, here.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I still find it funny and hypocritical that some people on here downplay and bash Dragon Quest, the grandfather of JRPGs, by calling it niche, but at the same time want Geno even though he is one of the most niche and obscure characters in history to ever exist, with no real legacy of his own. I feel like there's some disconnection, here.
So obscure and niche he got a Mii costume and a namedrop multiple times due to how fan requested he is and he also stars in one of the SNES' best selling games which is still listed as a classic today and seen in high regard similar to Chrono Trigger and recently got a re-release on the SNES classic and his legacy has lasted over 20 years which is why we still talk about him every day and Squenix himself knows of his fan requests which is why he's on any kind of leak list in the first place

But he's so ****ing niche and obscure right

Enough of this. Enough.

D

Deleted member

Mario game and obscure are kind of contradictory...

Top Bottom