• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
DQ: They've been pushing DQ in the west, and Smash can put it into the spotlight of the mainstream.
It would just benefit them more than would harm dealing with all other parties.

Just because they want to promote DQ doesn't mean that they will just bend over and agree on everything

Yeah but they're assist trophies so it's not a huge issue.
I'm thinking more in general.. People are saying that nothing happens with Golden Sun and that Waluigi doesn't get more roles because they aren't big in Japan.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Wait. Waluigi and Isaac also high up? It's one thing that NoJ maybe are unaware with the western audience.. But going by that one, Waluigi and Isaac seem to be big even in Japan...
A lot of Isaac's support comes from America, but the real voice is from Europe. Japan? I don't think they care about the poor guy too much.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm thinking more in general.. People are saying that nothing happens with Golden Sun and that Waluigi doesn't get more roles because they aren't big in Japan.
Nothing's going to happen to Golden Sun because it's been dead for a dozen years. Whoever expects something to happen to Golden Sun needs to rethink a few things.
Waluigi isn't getting the spotlight since he's been shoehorned into every Mario spinoff and that's it, he's never been important to Mario canon.

Also please don't double post.

beans

Smash Lord
Just because they want to promote DQ doesn't mean that they will just bend over and agree on everything
DQ is still a Japanese phenomenom.
Nintendo of JAPAN (the ones in charge) wouldnt really see a problem with DQ.
We dont even know how they are doing the selection even.
For all we know they could be going to 3rd parties and asking what they offer and think about it.

D

Deleted member

Yuji Horii, the creator of DQ, has expressed himself that he wants the franchise to be more popular in the west. He's also close friends with the two other main rights holders (Toriyama and Sugiyama), so if that was part of the reason then I think that they would be able to work something out.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Nothing's going to happen to Golden Sun because it's been dead for a dozen years. Whoever expects something to happen to Golden Sun needs to rethink a few things.
Waluigi isn't getting the spotlight since he's been shoehorned into every Mario spinoff and that's it, he's never been important to Mario canon.

Also please don't double post.
Just a simple case of not seeing comment A before comment B

Yuji Horii, the creator of DQ, has expressed himself that he wants the franchise to be more popular in the west. He's also close friends with the two other main rights holders (Toriyama and Sugiyama), so if that was part of the reason then I think that they would be able to work something out.
And Sakurai is also good friend with Nomura yet we don't have that much FF content in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And Sakurai is also good friend with Nomura yet we don't have that much FF content in.
Nomura doesn't own any FF related assets though as far as I'm aware (if I'm wrong feel free to correct me). Horii, Toriyama, and Sugiyama hold the rights to most DQ related assets.

beans

Smash Lord
Just a simple case of not seeing comment A before comment B

FF content is spread out by right holders. Even if Nomura is one of them, FF is SE's IP, and the decisions envolving its usage and representation are to be done with SE before anything. So even if Nomura would be down with it, SE's decision is final and their pratices are the same as always.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Fan polls
Only one of those is Japanese though, and it's not a popularity poll, but an expected characters list poll. Yes, there's a difference. Also, any spot below 5 is a no man's land of "runner ups," so the rankings after 5 mean nothing. The other two are Reddit polls, and Reddit is a primarily western, English based website.
No offense because you seem like a nice individual. But most likely based on what? Square is said to be the one that was the hardest one to work with, so who isn't to say that the other parties are as well? If Square would have so easy to get every other party together, then why did we not get more FF content in the base game?

Also, Akira Toriyama is said to be (and this is only something I've heard) being someone that demands his creation to be front and center with EVERY crossover. Something I'm firm to believe considering how they handle the Jump games, the crossover between Toriko Dragon Ball and One Piece and that Boom/Fortune Street comes off as more of a Dragon Quest meets Mario instead of the reverse... which would be a problem for a game like Smash.

I'm not saying that Dragon Quest is impossible but your most likely comes off as assumptions based on random text leaks right now
So again I ask. How is it most likely?
I don't understand the need for "no offense" unless you're getting mad about this, in which case there's no need to do so.

Anyways, Square Enix could bring in the required parties for Dragon Quest negotiation relatively easy. Right off the bat Square Enix and Amor Studio (run by series' director Yuji Horii) are on board because they want to promote Dragon Quest. Akira Toriyama isn't that much of a problem because he's apparently really chill with Dragon Quest (Remember that the Fortune Street games were developed by Square Enix, therefore their characters would be front and center), and Goku has been licensed out multiple times over the years, so I don't believe he'd be a problem. Sugimiya is the largest potential problem, but Nintendo has worked around him before and can do the same here, and if Square Enix really wants it, they'll find a way to bring him to the table.

Square Enix doesn't have that power in negotiations for Sora because it takes place primarily between Nintendo and Disney. Sure, Square Enix can join in on the side of Nintendo if they really want it, but it's still Square Enix and Nintendo vs. Disney, which is a 50/50 matchup at best.
The point is that Horii's friendships with Toriyama and Sugimiya can bring them to the negotiations table easier.

Dragon Quest negotiations are much more easier than Sora, and very likely just slightly harder than negotiations for Geno.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
DQ is still a Japanese phenomenom.
Nintendo of JAPAN (the ones in charge) wouldnt really see a problem with DQ.
We dont even know how they are doing the selection even.
For all we know they could be going to 3rd parties and asking what they offer and think about it.
FF content is spread out by right holders. Even if Nomura is one of them, FF is SE's IP, and the decisions envolving its usage and representation are to be done with SE before anything. So even if Nomura would be down with it, SE's decision is final and their pratices are the same as always.

Nomura doesn't own any FF related assets though as far as I'm aware (if I'm wrong feel free to correct me). Horii, Toriyama, and Sugiyama hold the rights to most DQ related assets.
And if being a good friend(s) doesn't = easy to obtain license.. why would DQ be any easier?
If licensing laws in Japan would be that easy.. Why is Sakurai calling it a miracle to happen? How does someone like Chris Sabat and Sean Schimmel, two guys that has worked close on a Akira Toriyama IP mind you, calling Japanese licensing laws so difficult that they compare Goku's chances for Smash (when someone asked about it on a con) as if it has a high possibility of Apple and Microsoft/Coke and Pepsi joining forces? Source for that here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pht_PjI55UI

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Only one of those is Japanese though, and it's not a popularity poll, but an expected characters list poll. Yes, there's a difference. Also, any spot below 5 is a no man's land of "runner ups," so the rankings after 5 mean nothing.
welp, Papyrus, 'guess we're going back to Snowdin...

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't understand the need for "no offense" unless you're getting mad about this, in which case there's no need to do so.

Anyways, Square Enix could bring in the required parties for Dragon Quest negotiation relatively easy. Right off the bat Square Enix and Amor Studio (run by series' director Yuji Horii) are on board because they want to promote Dragon Quest. Akira Toriyama isn't that much of a problem because he's apparently really chill with Dragon Quest (Remember that the Fortune Street games were developed by Square Enix, therefore their characters would be front and center), and Goku has been licensed out multiple times over the years, so I don't believe he'd be a problem. Sugimiya is the largest potential problem, but Nintendo has worked around him before and can do the same here, and if Square Enix really wants it, they'll find a way to bring him to the table.

Square Enix doesn't have that power in negotiations for Sora because it takes place primarily between Nintendo and Disney. Sure, Square Enix can join in on the side of Nintendo if they really want it, but it's still Square Enix and Nintendo vs. Disney, which is a 50/50 matchup at best.
The no offense is because I was afraid that I was going to come off as rude in this for some reason.
Also, see comment I made above for more points to what I'm talking about

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
And if being a good friend(s) doesn't = easy to obtain license.. why would DQ be any easier?
If licensing laws in Japan would be that easy.. Why is Sakurai calling it a miracle to happen? How does someone like Chris Sabat and Sean Schimmel, two guys that has worked close on a Akira Toriyama IP mind you, calling Japanese licensing laws so difficult that they compare Goku's chances for Smash (when someone asked about it on a con) as if it has a high possibility of Apple and Microsoft/Coke and Pepsi joining forces? Source for that here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pht_PjI55UI
Chris Sabat and Sean Schimmel are voice actors, not Japanese lawyers. I assure you that they know little about Japanese licensing laws, even if they know more than your average layman.

The point is that Horii's friendships with Toriyama and Sugimiya brings them to the negotiation table. With all required parties present and willing to listen, Nintendo can negotiate for the rights to use Dragon Quest content. That's what's important.
And here we go again baby! The classic DQ licensing switchery doo da
Are you okay? You've been more snippy as of late. Maybe that's just me looking into things too deep, but if you need someone to talk to I'm always willing to listen.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Here's my essay on Dragon Quest and it's licensing as well as it's chances:

Erdrick is coming, we just gotta come to terms with it gang

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If I learned one thing over the course of Smash speculation, it's to never count out any plausible outcome.

How that applies to Erdrick/DQ varies from person to person.

But you should neither be 100% or 0% confident that he, or any DQ rep, is going to be in.

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Been pondering who the Square Rep would be. On one hand I can see Sora, Square outright owns him and if Nintendo does a direct next month (like they usually do in January), it would be the perfect time to announce him right when KH3 is released. He would be unique and probably a lot of fun to play. He would fit right in with Cloud who has the same art style.

On the other hand, I can genuinely see 2B from NieR being chosen. NieR was so popular and Yoko Taro says he wants a port to the Switch. It would be a great double whammy for Nintendo to announce both. The only thing that dampens her chances is the fact she's in Soul Caliber. It was made by Bandai who probably straight up told Nintendo "Hey we're using 2B, so you may want to go with someone else".

I would be very happy with either choice.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Square does not own Sora I believe. It is Disney who owns him and Square owns all the FF characters in KH.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Been pondering who the Square Rep would be. On one hand I can see Sora, Square outright owns him and if Nintendo does a direct next month (like they usually do in January), it would be the perfect time to announce him right when KH3 is released. He would be unique and probably a lot of fun to play. He would fit right in with Cloud who has the same art style.

On the other hand, I can genuinely see 2B from NieR being chosen. NieR was so popular and Yoko Taro says he wants a port to the Switch. It would be a great double whammy for Nintendo to announce both. The only thing that dampens her chances is the fact she's in Soul Caliber. It was made by Bandai who probably straight up told Nintendo "Hey we're using 2B, so you may want to go with someone else".

I would be very happy with either choice.
>Square Enix owns Sora
>Namco calling dibs on 2B is why she wouldn't get in

Oh you sweet summer child. Disney actually owns Sora alongside any original Kingdom Hearts content. I also doubt he'd be revealed to help promote a prominent release on a competing consoles. 2B definitely isn't happening, but not due to the reason you think. No way would Namco call dibs on a third party character. If Nintendo wants 2B, they'll get 2B, but there are plenty of characters in line before her if you ask me.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
The SE rep is actually Ariana Grande.
She is a SE character due to her appearance in Brave Exvius.
Get ready for her and her echo fighter Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
>Square Enix owns Sora
>Namco calling dibs on 2B is why she wouldn't get in

Oh you sweet summer child. Disney actually owns Sora alongside any original Kingdom Hearts content..
Proof? Genuinely, I see people say this but have no substantial evidence. I would like to see it so it can finally be put to rest, regardless whether I'm right or wrong. From what I've heard, Square owns the original characters like Sora, Riku, and Kairi, while Disney obviously owns their characters.

D

Deleted member

People are often memeing like "Oh watch it be Lara Croft, Watch it be Gex lol tail time!" But ya'll sleeping on the REAL unexpected Square rep...

Geno

Space Invaders!
I think I tried calling them back when we still thought the SE character was in the base game(go how I wish they were so we could have prevented all this madness)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Chris Sabat and Sean Schimmel are voice actors, not Japanese lawyers. I assure you that they know little about Japanese licensing laws, even if they know more than your average layman.

The point is that Horii's friendships with Toriyama and Sugimiya brings them to the negotiation table. With all required parties present and willing to listen, Nintendo can negotiate for the rights to use Dragon Quest content. That's what's important.
While you have a point that they aren't lawyers, Sabat is not only a voice actor but director and is arguably one of the people at Funimation that works closest with the Dragon Ball IP. So he should at least have some awareness.

Also, what I didn't bring up in my previous comment. Sure, Square Enix produced it which made it obvious that it was going to be Dragon Quest with Mario and friends. But that doesn't change the question that it was Dragon Quest with Mario and friends combined with every other crossover Toriyama creation where they have only been at the focus. Had it been a Nintendo made a game with it being reversed, then I might be less skeptic that Akira wouldn't be a "my creation is front and center" all things considered, but that's maybe the skeptical me as always.

I give you that you made it sound more sense, but I'm still skeptical.

beans

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)

You guys are really sleeping, this is the man we need from SE. The man who could unite all the fans!
Tidus should get in
We need Xander to yell his name twice, and each time its different one.
Teedus, Taidus, Tiidus

Proof? Genuinely, I see people say this but have no substantial evidence. I would like to see it so it can finally be put to rest, regardless whether I'm right or wrong. From what I've heard, Square owns the original characters like Sora, Riku, and Kairi, while Disney obviously owns their characters.
Nomura said it himself during the release of KH2

Also, since the question came out during an exposition of KH Mickey in Disney Infinity, the productor himself, someone that actually works for Disney, said:
"A lot of people are confused about who exactly owns Kingdom Hearts, but it's Disney - it's developed in partnership with Square-Enix."
Also also, cmon all the games have it in the credits/ownership section before the game menu
https://youtu.be/eE8RGkpQfRs?t=30
If Square owned it, their ips wouldnt be specified, something wich Disney doesnt need to do as they already own KH, so its just their own ips crossing over

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Nomura said it himself during the release of KH2

Also, since the question came out during an exposition of KH Mickey in Disney Infinity, the productor himself, someone that actually works for Disney, said:
I see, there's been a lot of speculation online over the years. Glad to see we have a definitive answer. A shame, because I think Sora would be a great addition, I really like his design for the new game. But if Disney owns him, he'll never be in Smash.

That means 2B is my new front runner for the Square Smash Rep.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The SE rep is actually Ariana Grande.
She is a SE character due to her appearance in Brave Exvius.
Get ready for her and her echo fighter Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana
With that kind of thinking, Brad Keselowski is the Ubisoft rep because of Watch Dogs.

Literally on every piece of KH memorabilia.

It will say Copyright: Disney and then go into something about how Square Enix's likeness belongs to Square Enix.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think we're getting Gex because I'm reading too deep into Reggie's words of PR like the typical Smash fan-theorist-gamefaqs-youtube comment-whatever and Gex would certainly be unexpected.

I haven't played Gex but he seems like a cool lizard and I like the meme I'd still want Geno though.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think we're getting Gex because I'm reading too deep into Reggie's words of PR like the typical Smash fan-theorist-gamefaqs-youtube comment-whatever and Gex would certainly be unexpected.

I haven't played Gex but he seems like a cool lizard and I like the meme I'd still want Geno though.
If we get Gex he needs to talk constantly and make horribly outdated 2010s references.

He calls Donkey Kong Harambe. When he gets KO'd he yells "I don't feel so goooooood...!!". He mentions the Grinch.

(I used to play a ton of Gex 3 as a kid and man he'd be a weird choice.)

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Wait so if Disney straight up owns KH, and it's just developed by Square, would someone like Erdrick getting in really hurt his chances more than they already are?

Sora's a weird character mannnnnn

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Wait so if Disney straight up owns KH, and it's just developed by Square, would someone like Erdrick getting in really hurt his chances more than they already are?

Sora's a weird character mannnnnn
I think while Disney is the owner of Kingdom Hearts, I look at Square Enix as the one who he would be representing.

With that being said, Sora is normally listed as my leak likely from this list of seven. But now with the Joker reveal, anything goes. I just don't see Sakurai making Sora a fully represented character without Disney characters. He wouldn't want to half ass representing Kingdom Hearts to the fullest but I also don't think Sakurai would be able to pull it off without Donald/Goofy. (Even if it was for something as minor as a Shulk like final smash)

I hear the DDD comments already typing but I think Sora without Mickey and friends isn't Sora in the same light as Geno without Mario and friends isn't Geno. We were introduced to these characters we love thanks to bigger and previously existing IPs. Regardless if that one ip was about 15 years old or 75 years old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom