• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, is it safe to say that this whole rumor may blow over at Jump Fiesta and if we don’t get anything there, should we just throw this whole rumor away?
No, it's just that it's the ideal live presentation time outside of the Tokyo Game Show next September. Most people agree that it's chances of being at E3 are practically zilch and that it likely won't be part of an International Direct unless Erdrick is paired with another character that Western gamers want/recognize. That said, something like an Erdrick/Lloyd combo would work but I also argue that something like that would be a lot to reveal in a single general Direct, possibly spurring the first Smash DLC Direct to compensate so actual focus could be put on the characters.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don’t see anything wrong with catering towards one region with one character. We’ve got five slots, it’s not gonna hurt anyone if one of them is geared towards Japanese players. Plus, who’s to say we won’t get Doomslayer or something for the West?
The problem is that the "Japanese Pick" is goddamn Dragon Quest.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I wonder if Bubsy was the first platforming game; before Mario, and both still had their original quality.... would you be arguing Bubsy "deserves" to be in because he's the grandfather of platformers, and that Mario wouldn't exist without him?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Something I find funny is that people are calling Erdrick a shill pick but not Joker even though if the leak is to be believed he's there to promote the supposed P5 Switch port.
Either they both are or they both aren't.
Not really. The difference between Edrick and Joker is that Joker has fans worldwide. That's why people (due to how unknown someone like Eldrick as well as the series is here in the west) are comparing him to Corrin who people are calling a shillpick because he was only there to promote Fates to The West, especially when we know Square wants to do some extra promotion to DQ to make it a household name here.

Had Dragon Quest been known worldwide and have a good chunk of fans worldwide, and not being in the scenario where Square is using Smash as a promotional tool instead of adding in a worldwide fan favorite that most would be glad about, it wouldn't be seen as such a shillpick "legendary franchise or not".

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wonder if Bubsy was the first platforming game; before Mario, and both still had their original quality.... would you be arguing Bubsy "deserves" to be in because he's the grandfather of platformers, and that Mario wouldn't exist without him?
Well, that’s horridly unfair at best. The games are massive in Japan anyways beyond having the claims to the early NES market and have always been considered, by all accounts, good to amazing games. A franchise that is still going and has multiple spinoffs to this day. People revere the series for its impact, and it continues to be a cultural phenomenon.

Saying the problem is that the Japanese pick (which again, Japan kind of loves Dragon Quest) is Dragon Quest is kind of being unreasonable towards the games. Of the major classic Japanese NES franchises not currently represented, Dragon Quest is one of two I’ve been able to come up with (the other being Ninja Gaiden which should also really be in with Ryu).

Even if Dragon Quest in Smash doesn’t have the major popularity fan poll wise, I think it’s also likely to go over quite well in the home country. There’s nothing technically wrong with giving Japan a real bone when it comes to this DLC cycle. It’s always a give and take with us receiving several characters Japan cares little for as well.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way 5ch works, but it looks to me like he said that the 5 DLC characters will be Steve, Erdrick, Tracer, Leon Kennedy, and Sol Bad Guy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
@tehponycorn
@PushDustIn

Not everything is translated but the important details are, I'm guessing someone threw the text through google translate and then rephrased it. Shouldn't be too hard considering google translate won't have any difficulties converting the katakana + a little level of knowledge about DQ can help you with guessing the stage.

ー36 名無 し さ ん必丶死だ な 20ー8ノー刀ー0(刀 ) 0S:02:〟0.ー6 ーD:。QRessNFd

ロト

ステージ&‡アレフヵ'丿レド

ロ ト(6)ロ 卜(g)ァン丿レシア イ レブン縄各2色
スライ ム&ま技て登場
スクェニ岬五の積極的な協力3こよつて実現
DQシ'丿ーズ海夕ト波及のブこめ

Original 5ch post: https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544370354/136

Lotto
The stage is Alefgart
Lotto (♂) Lotto (♀) 2 color each of the Army Eleven
Slime comes out with technique
Through positive cooperation on the side of Square
DQ series for overseas spread

-----------------------------------------------

ー37 名無 し さ ん必~死だな 20ー8/ー刀ー0(刀) 0S:ー2:08.7s ーD:QeyーーKUad
ジヨーヵー

ステージゐ‡メメントス
ジャ`ンクフロス トゐま技て登場
PSR(完全版)とPsU(格ゲー)の販促
P麦R炒ま20}9年

PSU縄まァークヵ葦ク〝ラブ丿レの格ゲー開発て忙ししゝナこめ遅れてし丶る

Joker
The stage is Mementos
Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill
Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)P5R is 2019
P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

Original 5ch post: https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544370354/137

And... It looks like that reddit user who has been leaking things is probably someone from 4ch who's pretending to be involved in the industry and got hold of information from another 4ch user who uses 5ch.
Looks like Japan’s version of 4chan is just as bad as America’s 4chan, if this is where the Erdrick thing even came from in the first place, then yeah I’m honestly not believing it anymore. The rest of the DLC list just seems completely off.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way 5ch works, but it looks to me like he said that the 5 DLC characters will be Steve, Erdrick, Tracer, Leon Kennedy, and Sol Bad Guy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
If that's correct, then I would say the stances people should take as a result of this rumor is to discard it, but keep in mind that Erdrick is still heavily rumored otherwise. A 5ch rumor is honestly something I'd recommend discarding, especially if this is correct, but don't rule out Erdrick. He's still quite likely in the grand scheme of things.

Whether you're for or against Erdrick, just keep your expectations tempered.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't want to get into the debate about who is "deserving" because I don't think it means anything in the grand scheme of things, but if you're really going to compare Dragon Quest to Bubsy and insinuate that they haven't improved since the first game without having even played them, then you should probably just go for a walk or something.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Doesn't that technically mean he is already wrong? He just named 5 characters and one of them is not Joker.

D

Deleted member

The way I feel about the Square rep is the same way I felt about the Pokemon newcomer prerelease. I'm sure I'll enjoy Erdrick(Incineroar) and be immediatelly sold on him as soon as I see footage but I'd much rather have Crono who's my favorite character from the list of possibilities(Primarina/Mimiyku) or at the very least Slime who's the one I consider the one with most potential to be unique(Decidueye).

Untouch

Smash Master
I have doubts that unless Sakurai or Reggie is leaking the characters, that ANYONE knows all 5 at this point.

D

Deleted member

Can’t wait to MAYBE BE TRACER in smash.

Also I know I’ve said this but it’s 5chan, not 2chan. I know waaaaaaay too much about imageboards. Ask me about world2ch.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If they both had their existing quality, maybe not.

If Bubsy was as good as, say, Sonic 1, then absolutely.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Tracer, huh? Assuming this is true, does Overwatch even have a presence in Japan? But well you could pair her with Erdrick I guess. A bone to the west and east.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Can’t wait to MAYBE BE TRACER in smash.

Also I know I’ve said this but it’s 5chan, not 2chan. I know waaaaaaay too much about imageboards. Ask me about world2ch.
2ch is 5chan
they changed the domain, if i was to guess, it's because 2chan is the russian 4chan as well

D

Deleted member

Gonna have to ask you to see yourself out for that one.
I know, shame on me for bringing up world2ch when it’s a dead site.
2ch is 5chan
they changed the domain, if i was to guess, it's because 2chan is the russian 4chan as well
Oh I know, it’s just calling it 2chan is technically incorrect these days

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I agree with most of Fatmanonice's points, but some of them seem to be reaching:
  • For one, the NoA tweet and the trivia during the Game Awards were more than likely (read: 99.99%) Nintendo of America's doing. Most of Geno's fanbase is in America, so it makes sense that Nintendo of America would acknowledge that. However, Nintendo of Japan is the one calling the shots, so promotion from Nintendo of America means almost nothing.
  • The nods to Geno in base are likely just that, nods. The icons are literally just Spirits, and again, Sakurai likes Geno and knows that there's demand for him, so it makes sense for him to be an online icon. At the end of the day, it's a lot easier to negotiate for .png files than for character licenses, hence the Spirits.
  • Any argument that Geno's Spirit is "special" seems like confirmation bias. The even stats are integer values that calculate the stats of the Spirit and nothing else, and his placement means little as well, other than it being thematic that he's in space (since he comes from Star Road) because the player can go about World of Light in any order they want. If you want to argue that him being a Legendary Spirit means something then yeah, I'd agree, and if Spirits don't disconfirm then I'd say that's a point for him, but stats and placement aren't.
  • Fatmanonice acknowledged this himself, but the placement of Geno on Shulk is tin foil hat conspiracy-level speculation. It could be thematic, but it's just as likely that the person playing as Shulk liked Geno, or it was slipped in to soft-disconfirm him like what happened with Ashley's abrupt inclusion in the August Direct as an assist trophy
No one can argue against the Nintendo Dream interview, or how easy it would be to get the character license to Geno; there are valid points for him, but the above ones just aren't it.

...That's the point.

The point is that Isaac would be a unique addition to the roster, but if one were to judge him solely by appearance he is, by definition, an anime swordsman. It conveys the point that the "anime swordsman" argument is weak because it discounts a large variety of characters who could be unique additions to the roster.
I think it’s kind of weird to assume one branch of Nintendo would be aware of a characters popularity and not another branch. That would be horrible business when thinking about the long run. We can’t necessarily assume that just because NoA made those tweets, that NoJ is unaware of Geno’s popularity. I mean, we also can’t asaume that they ARE aware, but I find it hard to believe NoJ as a company would ignore that. Especially given we got the costume last game.

I would give you your icon point, but not all spirits made it to icons. For example, Geno is a player icon while Mallow is not. Rayman and Shankar are both icons, while Ness’ Dad (also legendary) and Hinawa (legendary) are not. What’s the criteria here? And why does Geno fit that criteria?

I think the points are worth looking at. Even with the nods, they are still nods that some other characters haven’t gotten.

Something I find funny is that people are calling Erdrick a shill pick but not Joker even though if the leak is to be believed he's there to promote the supposed P5 Switch port.
Either they both are or they both aren't.
Joker is less of a shill pick because (as of this post) he’s not promoting an upcoming game that will be coming on switch or releasing on a Nintendo platform soon. If we’re accepting the leak narrative it LITERALLY says “to promote expansion of the DQ series in the West” not “legendary grandfather of RPGs that was desired for cross over game” and again even if the leak is true, we didn’t KNOW P5 was getting a port as of Joker’s announcement. We already know about DQ’s port.

Not saying DQ doesn’t deserve its spot at all, it’s just business strategy. Capitalizing on potential.
Honestly I believe the one potential character who would be a real "shill" character to the very cynical connotation some people here are portraying would be Edelgard for Three Houses.

But yeah Atlus definitely wants there to be more advertisement for Persona. P5 was a great game and I am glad it did so well, but there is no guarantee P6 will get the same kind of success especially if they want to go more lighthearted in tone like P4.
But what’s the difference between Edelgard and Erdrick? I guess yeah, FE isn’t really failing out here. No need to promote an already successful series...but wouldn’t that imply DQ isn’t as successful as people keep claiming?

So put Joker in Smash? I mean...maybe? P5 has been out for what two years already tho? I don’t see a real reason to want to advertise more for it (unless of course there is some port coming) when it already did and continues to do really well. P6 would be a totally different game too, and probably won’t come out for a while so idk about that line of logic.
Please God no

You mean the series that is successful in Japan and is a cultural phenomenon here?
Is DQ REALLY a cultural phenomenon here tho? Like is it REALLY? In Japan, absolutely, but cultural phenomenon?? It’s popular, and getting steadily more so...but...

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Joker was probably picked to represent Shin Megami Tensei as a whole. Theres all kinds of reasons he would be on the roster if it isnt the poll.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way 5ch works, but it looks to me like he said that the 5 DLC characters will be Joker, Erdrick, Tracer, Leon Kennedy, and Sol Bad Guy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
I'm a giant Guilty Gear fan and I'd just be confused at Sol being in Smash. It'd be kind of sick but also really, really weird.

Mega grain of salt here.

D

Deleted member

Sol Badguy would be pretty cool, but like ???? I though blazblue was generally more popular than guilty gear, despite being newer. Would be an odd chokce

xenother

Smash Apprentice
If he really did say Tracer, Sol Bad Guy, and Leon Kennedy (which it seems like he did). Based on what I've been hearing, this guy either does not have legitimate info, or had some and is trying to fill in the gaps on his own.

D

Deleted member

If he really did say Tracer, Sol Bad Guy, and Leon Kennedy (which it seems like he did). Based on what I've been hearing, this guy either does not have legitimate info, or had some and is trying to fill in the gaps on his own.
I can’t actually access the 5ch link, what did he say? Was he detailed with the rest of them like joker and Erdrich?

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel Sol and Leon could happen (don't think they will personally), but Tracer feels very unlikely to me.
Blizzard was very adamant on Overwatch not coming to the Switch at first, it took until Diablo 3 to convince them otherwise and we still don't know if its happening, so it feels unlikely she was ever planned for Smash.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
I can’t actually access the 5ch link, what did he say? Was he detailed with the rest of them like joker and Erdrich?
"Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Brave Party (Dragon Quest)
Sol · Bad Guy (Guilty Gear)

It is said that for the time being, it is said to be a delusion so I might fall off this thread, but something stuck with my mind People save it and it's
really a serious leak "

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Tracer is like the only thing I still genuinely like about Overwatch so I'd enjoy that. Music, though? I don't see it happening.

Leon Kennedy is great. Not my preferred Capcom rep but great.

Sol would be such a weird, weird choice. Guilty Gear is my favorite fighting franchise ever and I'd LOVE music and aesthetics to be in Smash but it's too out there to the point that I don't think I'd even be able to process it. It's just weird to even imagine. That said, Guilty Gear did have an exclusive platform fighter for DS that was pretty fun, so hey...not bad.

I don't trust this in the slightest, though. Reeks of joke picks.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The true disappointment if this guy is right isn't so much no Geno. It's the fact Tracer would get into Smash Bros before a Team Fortress character ever would. Not that either belong in Smash Bros. I'm just willing to be Team Fortress 2 characters have much larger depth and legacy in gaming as a whole.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The one thing I'm worried about no matter what Square character we end up getting is music. I doubt anyone would want another Cloud situation where we only end up with 2 songs and not even a single remix.

D

Deleted member

"Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Brave Party (Dragon Quest)
Sol · Bad Guy (Guilty Gear)

It is said that for the time being, it is said to be a delusion so I might fall off this thread, but something stuck with my mind People save it and it's
really a serious leak "
Brave Party?
Would it be a multiple-characters-acting-at-once thing? Like with different classes from DQ games? Because I would be down for that.

D

Deleted member

The true disappointment if this guy is right isn't so much no Geno. It's the fact Tracer would get into Smash Bros before a Team Fortress character ever would. Not that either belong in Smash Bros. I'm just willing to be Team Fortress 2 characters have much larger depth and legacy in gaming as a whole.
I mean if you’re gonna get a Valve character, Gordon Freeman has easily the most impact and legacy of the notable ones. Didn’t think I’d ever be discussing this but here we are.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I mean if you’re gonna get a Valve character, Gordon Freeman has easily the most impact and legacy of the notable ones. Didn’t think I’d ever be discussing this but here we are.
There's an idea. You could easily give him a varied moveset without relying on his standard guns. he could use his crossbow, the tau cannon, the gluon gun or the bee gun. Maybe have the gravity gun be his grab, or he could use it to pull in items and crates, not to mention his trademark crowbar. That'd actually be pretty cool.
heck, the final smash could involve launching someone into the anomalous materials lab to experience the resonance cascade

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Maybe put in Chell from Portal? I think Freeman would be great, but seeing him would rub salt in the wounds for still not having HL3.

I just think Heavy Weapons Guy would make for a great assist trophy if you made him like the old Blastoise summon.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Dragon Quest panel at Jump Festa with info for DQ11 Switch and DQ Builders 2 will have a "special guest"
Some people seem to think that it will be Sakurai but we'll just have to wait and see.
Why are people expecting a Smash announcement from a non-Nintendo event?

We already learned the hard way with TGS this year. :U

Top Bottom