• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So Waddle Dee has a national holiday? Did Waddle Dee caused so many students to skip school when it’s game released? Did the government ever ask Nintendo to only release games about Waddle Dee on weekends so people wouldn’t call in sick to work? Because all that happened for DQ, don’t recal it ever happening for Waddle Dee or the Kirby series in general.
The government didn't ask Square Enix to release the games on weekends specifically, though there were hearings about Dragon Quest robberies because they were so prevelant.

Why does Dragon Quest release on weekends then? Because the creators felt bad for creating, in their words, "a national crisis," which it was.
We are not bringing new fans to DQ, a franchise that has been around for decades, with just putting acharacter in smash lol.

It's not like we are unaware of its existance. If people that are aware about the game, already don't care about it, a smash character won't make a difference. Corrin didn't make more people play his game for getting into smash, it only pleased his already existing fanbase, it didn't bring anyone new to it (and if it did, it was a minority that wouldn't make it into records at all, lol).

Again I have nothing against DQ, it can get a character in smash for all i care, but that doesn't change the fact it won't be a pick that takes the most advantage of sales EVERYWHERE in general, like Joker does and will.

It's ok if nintendo isn't greedy and wants to please specific regions with certain dlc characters, that's absolutely fine, but IF their approach was to get the most money possible (which is what companies want mostly in the end to sustain themselves, lol) then a DQ character is already not a good choice for that, again, IF that was their goal. If their goal is to please multiple regions with each specific character, fine by me, but we can't ignore the reality here.
Please man, break up your posts into paragraphs. It's so much easier to read the way that I've quoted it.

Anyways, it's not so much about drawing people into DQ as it is about drawing people into Smash and the Nintendo Switch. Marketing Erdrick alongside a portable version of a console Dragon Quest game is a surefire way to create a boom for Nintendo in the Japanese market. Sure, the Western market will be kinda confused, but it'll largely go along with it.

I hate how the argument has become sales and promotion, because that's not what it should be about. At the same time, this discussion has me thinking that I should maybe take some business classes lol.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
>Read the twitt. Why would he even mention Alucard in the same comment about making a Castlevania character if he was always meant to be an assist? In fact, why even say he's more famous than the Belmonts as if it had any kind of importance to the AT? I don't find any reason for that comment to exist unless he was either considered to be a fighter, or that maybe someone in that Famitsu interview asked him about that, but I'm leaning more on the former because there's nothing that suggests someone made that question.

I did read the twitter, it still doesn't add up. Unless it is Sakurai or a representative from Nintendo it just isn't credible. I already mentioned that Alucard being an assist means he was considered. Theres plenty of cameos in Smash that appeared as spirits/miis/assists because they were considered but not made. Then to add on to that nobody has to suggest someone made that question, to confirm you need to ask. I read the part on the twitter that says read the previous and nowhere did I see a famitsu interview for castlevania.

>Because their site hasn't posted it as an article yet, that's why.

I guess. I wouldn't use a twitter link unless it was credible. That interview was a good source.

>Not really. I'm saying fame is a factor for third-parties, not for the entire roster. If that were the case, the roster would be ridiculously small, because there are people who probably don't know who Olimar is, or Mr. Game and Watch, or ROB.

You never said third parties and you did say that fame takes precedence when picking characters. Like I said there is plenty of reasons to pick a character. In addition that, the characters you mentioned are from Nintendo IPs... It goes without saying that pretty much all main characters of Nintendo IPs will be a character featured in smash, Rex isn't there but its probably because he's new. I would say Geno but he is a special exception being owned by Square.

>Perhaps because Square is just a third-party that can make games for Nintendo if they wished to, compared to Microsoft, who is a direct competition? One is much easier to negotiate with than the other.

That might very well be the case, I wish we'd at least get something from Sakurai saying he tried lol.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sakurai saying that "Castlevania" was highly requested on the ballot adds an interesting wrinkle to things.

IIRC, in that big mondo compilation poll, Simon scored the highest out of any third party character whose company already present in Smash Bros.
Are you referring to this one?

If so, dude's outclassed to put it simply.

StormC

Smash Hero
Are you referring to this one?

If so, dude's outclassed to put it simply.
I wouldn't use the merged-with-Japan one as a reference. The Japan poll used is just a single sample of 1,000 "votes" while the US/Euro is from polls upwards of 40,000 or so, It's completely imbalanced.

In the US/Euro poll, Simon Belmont is beat only by Geno in terms of third party characters whose companies have been represented in Smash, a hair above Phoenix Wright and Bomberman. Months ago I argued it was very possible Simon beat Bomberman on the ballot despite people trying to tell me otherwise and that Bomberman was the real Konami frontrunner.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>Read the twitt. Why would he even mention Alucard in the same comment about making a Castlevania character if he was always meant to be an assist? In fact, why even say he's more famous than the Belmonts as if it had any kind of importance to the AT? I don't find any reason for that comment to exist unless he was either considered to be a fighter, or that maybe someone in that Famitsu interview asked him about that, but I'm leaning more on the former because there's nothing that suggests someone made that question.

I did read the twitter, it still doesn't add up. Unless it is Sakurai or a representative from Nintendo it just isn't credible. I already mentioned that Alucard being an assist means he was considered. Theres plenty of cameos in Smash that appeared as spirits/miis/assists because they were considered but not made. Then to add on to that nobody has to suggest someone made that question, to confirm you need to ask. I read the part on the twitter that says read the previous and nowhere did I see a famitsu interview for castlevania.

>Because their site hasn't posted it as an article yet, that's why.

I guess. I wouldn't use a twitter link unless it was credible. That interview was a good source.
It's Source Gaming, one of the most reliable sources for Smash Bros. information.

That's not a point with which to discredit an argument.
I wouldn't use the merged-with-Japan one as a reference. The Japan poll used is just a single sample of 1,000 "votes" while the US/Euro is from polls upwards of 40,000 or so, It's completely imbalanced.

In the US/Euro poll, Simon Belmont is beat only by Geno in terms of third party characters whose companies have been represented in Smash, a hair above Phoenix Wright and Bomberman. Months ago I argued it was very possible Simon beat Bomberman on the ballot despite people trying to tell me otherwise and that Bomberman was the real Konami frontrunner.
Aren't the global results more important though? At least that's how they are to me. Simon is still beaten by Bayonetta, though that's not necessarily a point against him.

I don't see how this is pertinent to the discussion about Erdrick's potential performance in the Ballot, given that most of his votes would be from Japan.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I did read the twitter, it still doesn't add up. Unless it is Sakurai or a representative from Nintendo it just isn't credible.
It's Sakurai. It shouldn't be hard to miss that since those twitts are linked in a long post-chain that allows you to read each of them.

Source Gaming is credible, at least where translations are concerned.

You never said third parties and you did say that fame takes precedence when picking characters.
Yes I did.
That should make it clear that fame does take precedence over everything else when it comes to third parties,

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
>It's Sakurai. It shouldn't be hard to miss that since those twitts are linked in a long post-chain that allows you to read each of them.

I've looked and there's nothing that indicates he said any of that, just hints there was an interview and those are One Source's commentation on the interview.

>It's Source Gaming, one of the most reliable sources for Smash Bros. information. That's not a point with which to discredit an argument.

I have grounds to discredit an argument if it is literally a twitter link with two short excerpts of what someone thinks about an interview that is magically somewhere on the internet.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/tag/sakurai/

Now if this article list was linked with what Sakurai actually said this would be a more accurate representation than what someone thinks Sakurai said or meant.

>Yes I did.
My bad you're right.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I sent a tweet to Source Gaming asking them to translate the original leak. They sometimes respond to stuff on Twitter, so hopefully something comes of it.

I'll page PushDustIn PushDustIn here as well to see if he responds.

For those asking (and Push if he sees this) here are the 2chan posts in question. I've attached an image of them below as well.
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.54.36 PM.png

D

Deleted member

I sent a tweet to Source Gaming asking them to translate the original leak. They sometimes respond to stuff on Twitter, so hopefully something comes of it.

For those asking (and Push if he sees this) here are the 2chan posts in question. I've attached an image of them below as well.
View attachment 183383
One minor note, something that I wondered about before is if this leak used the name Erdrick or Loto, since Loto is his name in the domestic versions of DQ games.
A quick scan through Google Translate does indeed show that they used the name Loto.
I dunno what merit this holds, if anything I wouldnt call it a point in favor of it but the one thing that keeps it from (hypothetically) falling apart

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
>It's Sakurai. It shouldn't be hard to miss that since those twitts are linked in a long post-chain that allows you to read each of them.

I've looked and there's nothing that indicates he said any of that, just hints there was an interview and those are One Source's commentation on the interview.

>It's Source Gaming, one of the most reliable sources for Smash Bros. information. That's not a point with which to discredit an argument.

I have grounds to discredit an argument if it is literally a twitter link with two short excerpts of what someone thinks about an interview that is magically somewhere on the internet.

Now if this article list was linked with what Sakurai actually said this would be a more accurate representation than what someone thinks Sakurai said or meant.

>Yes I did.
My bad you're right.
You do know that you can quote posts, right? It's a lot more intuitive than formatting bold, dark blue text. You can even trim what's inside the quote so you respond to specific parts of it.
One minor note, something that I wondered about before is if this leak used the name Erdrick or Loto, since Loto is his name in the domestic versions of DQ games.
A quick scan through Google Translate does indeed show that they used the name Loto.
I dunno what merit this holds, if anything I wouldnt call it a point in favor of it but the one thing that keeps it from (hypothetically) falling apart
At the very least it means that whoever posted it knows Erdrick's Japanese name. It's definitely not a point against it, that's for sure.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
>You do know that you can quote posts, right? It's a lot more intuitive than formatting bold, dark blue text. You can even trim what's inside the quote so you respond to specific parts of it.

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon

Sorry it is out of habit haha. I know I can do that.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Here's where the chain starts:
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1074578854134439936
It says it's Sakurai's interview, and all of the next posts go way down into the comment about Alucard.

Again, the full interview isn't available in their site yet, give that some time.

StormC

Smash Hero
>You do know that you can quote posts, right? It's a lot more intuitive than formatting bold, dark blue text. You can even trim what's inside the quote so you respond to specific parts of it.

Sorry it is out of habit haha. I know I can do that.
You should probably do it then because stuff like that will just make people pass over your posts.

Quoting actually gives the quoted notifications, for one.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Also if any of you are curious I did some research, maybe it was already mentioned BUT:

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Erdrick

If you look at the voice actor for Erdrick it says his voice actor is Hikaru Midorikawa for the Drama CD (still trying to find more information on the drama cd to confirm). Anyways, if you look at Midorikawa's profile it says he voice acts Marth in the Japanese version of Smash Ultimate or google check. It would be very easy to use him again for Erdrick. Its not uncommon for voice actors to be used for multiple characters in games that have huge rosters.

Just something interesting I noticed. Like I said still looking for more information on the drama cd and how the wiki got his name for his va.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am not so sure why everyone is just basically throwing in the towel and calling it a day with Erdrick. While the text leak is credible, it is just another text leak at the end of the day.

It ain't over till it's over.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I am not so sure why everyone is just basically throwing in the towel and calling it a day with Erdrick. While the text leak is credible, it is just another text leak at the end of the day.

It ain't over till it's over.
I think we can attribute it to the hype. Erdrick is a character no one would've thought been possible before the leak. Not saying it's true but you know its fun to talk about it at least.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
What day does that DQ discussion happen anyway? The one that is the "time limit" for this?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Loto did pretty good in RTC, way before this was discussed... we just thought Slime was more likely (though perhaps with Nintendo at the helm instead of Sakurai this was simply positive thinking)..

Personally I'm not buying this fully, we've heard from others that there are multiple Square Enix names floating around, and without more information about the leaker we have no reason to believe he's whittled them down rather than is just reporting one he knows. When we know there's baiting going on it's safest to assume everyone fell for a trap.

One thing if anyone can answer is how the date is formatted in the 2ch post. We obviously didn't hear about it 'till after Joker, and it would make sense as normally formated yyyy/mm/dd, which would mean this was posted 2 days after... but also the kanji for month is just after the 12/10 (in brackets) and I don't know what that means...

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
PushDustIn PushDustIn

Not everything is translated but the important details are, I'm guessing someone threw the text through google translate and then rephrased it. Shouldn't be too hard considering google translate won't have any difficulties converting the katakana + a little level of knowledge about DQ can help you with guessing the stage.

ー36 名無 し さ ん必丶死だ な 20ー8ノー刀ー0(刀 ) 0S:02:〟0.ー6 ーD:。QRessNFd

ロト

ステージ&‡アレフヵ'丿レド

ロ ト(6)ロ 卜(g)ァン丿レシア イ レブン縄各2色
スライ ム&ま技て登場
スクェニ岬五の積極的な協力3こよつて実現
DQシ'丿ーズ海夕ト波及のブこめ

Original 5ch post: https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544370354/136

Lotto
The stage is Alefgart
Lotto (♂) Lotto (♀) 2 color each of the Army Eleven
Slime comes out with technique
Through positive cooperation on the side of Square
DQ series for overseas spread

-----------------------------------------------

ー37 名無 し さ ん必~死だな 20ー8/ー刀ー0(刀) 0S:ー2:08.7s ーD:QeyーーKUad
ジヨーヵー

ステージゐ‡メメントス
ジャ`ンクフロス トゐま技て登場
PSR(完全版)とPsU(格ゲー)の販促
P麦R炒ま20}9年

PSU縄まァークヵ葦ク〝ラブ丿レの格ゲー開発て忙ししゝナこめ遅れてし丶る

Joker
The stage is Mementos
Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill
Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)P5R is 2019
P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

Original 5ch post: https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544370354/137

And... It looks like that reddit user who has been leaking things is probably someone from 4ch who's pretending to be involved in the industry and got hold of information from another 4ch user who uses 5ch.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Also, define what a shill pick is for you. I’m curious.
I thought I made it perfectly clear. Adding a character for marketing purpose only when said company has far more popular characters worldwide that fans all around the world would be much happier with. If it really was that legendary, it would be well-known world wide. Also, about the Bayonetta being less known than Dragon Quest here in the west... agree to disagree

Like I said earlier. If you want him in. Good for you, and awesome if he does get in. But you are overestimating how popular he is.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What day does that DQ discussion happen anyway? The one that is the "time limit" for this?
Jump Festa? It's the 22nd. There's a Dragon Quest panel and it's been teased that there will be a "special guest" so a number of people have cashed in all their chips that it's Sakurai. It's not a true time limit either, it's just widely agreed that because Erdrick is so Japanese centric, it's the only public event aside from the Tokyo Game Show next September where he could be revealed by himself and it would go over well with a positive public reception.

DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon You've been asking me why I continue to speculate on Smashboards despite the fact that it often just makes me depressed and I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just wanting to watch over the Geno fanbase since I've been around since its infancy. As pointed out by others, I realize that I'm a bit of a wash up (like 86% of my entire being; no big deal) but being supportive of them when I'm not on one of my black humor benders is kind of like one of the only positive contributions I make to the community.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This.
Nintendo wants to sell the DLC characters to the players, not to those within their staff or a minority in the community that think "oh this character's origin game was important for gaming history, I will buy him because of that reason".

What do players care about characters? Either a) they love the character because it's a cool concept, personality, or whatever honest reason players these days have for wanting a specific character, b) they simply love the game it comes from, c) they love both aspects mentioned before. None of these reasons is because of "what the game did to gaming history as legacy". For example, people are gonna buy Joker because Persona 5 is amazing game and the character is cool and blahblahblah, NOT because it did anything special to gaming at some point in history. So it can be said about ANYONE's favorite here, either already in the roster or yet to be hopefully added as DLC. They will buy the character because they ACTUALLY WANT HIM/HER from a personal perspective, not due to history importance.

If Nintendo wants to add a character that is important to gaming history and not be afraid to lose money on it regardless of the game's current situation (such as DQ in other regions/countries that aren't Japan), they add such character to the BASE ROSTER, they don't risk it for DLC, where people will only spend money what they actually want. Sure, DQ has sold a lot in japan, and that might ensure almost 100% of players there will buy a DQ character, but it's never a big win if only such DLC character will sell well in their home land and still badly on other regions/countries ( 2,3,4,5,6 etc > 1, so it doesn't matter if it sells well in japan, there will be a loss if it doesn't sell well EVERYWHERE).

I have nothing against Eldrick, nor DQ, but let's be real here already and stop giving "legacy in gaming history" such a strong point for why a character is a good idea for DLC, cause it's not the honest reason why we all players buy a DLC character in the end, we just don't buy a character simply because of THAT. Me personally, I'm buying all characters because i like to have a full game to play with, it's always been that for me, and that's an honest reason i can see many other players will have for actually buying Erdrick, NOT because DQ was such a big deal to the genre in gaming, lol. And this can be applied to any franchise from any other company, it's not a personal bias against DQ or SE or whatever, we're actually being objective here.

A decision that makes sense in sales would be a character that sells well in more than one region. It's dumb to just make a character DLC to sell well just in japan and do terrible in the rest of places. You want DLC to sell for a game worldwide? Make worldwide choices. We can recognize all we want that DQ sells well in Japan, that still won't change the reality of sales in paper when they see that a DQ character only sold well in japan. If they want to make money the best way possible, the best take is to focus on worldwide picks, not a specific region's picks. Edit: Joker is a good example of this, a franchise/game (persona 5) that is beloved everywhere, hence why the reaction worldwide was amazing and people feel likely to buy the season pass because of him. You wouldn't see this happen with a character that is only highly beloved in one region and minimally beloved everywhere else.
The whole ‘gaming history and impact’ is not a reason for fans to buy it, but it is a reason for Sakurai to choose to include it.

I thought I made it perfectly clear. Adding a character for marketing purpose only when said company has far more popular characters worldwide that fans all around the world would be much happier with. If it really was that legendary, it would be well-known world wide. Also, about the Bayonetta being less known than Dragon Quest here in the west... agree to disagree

Like I said earlier. If you want him in. Good for you, and awesome if he does get in. But you are overestimating how popular he is.
So a shill pick is when a character has no reason to be there other than marketing. There are other reasons Dragon Quest would be in other than marketing. So therefore, it’s not a shill pick.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The whole ‘gaming history and impact’ is not a reason for fans to buy it, but it is a reason for Sakurai to choose to include it.

So a shill pick is when a character has no reason to be there other than marketing. There are other reasons Dragon Quest would be in other than marketing. So therefore, it’s not a shill pick.
It's a shillpick when marketing a franchise has more priority over who's most popular aka Sora > Ederick. If it really was about legacy, then he should be base. But let's agree to disagree then because this is getting nowhere.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, nothing has gone anywhere in like a week. This really isn't even the Square discussion thread anymore, it's "Erdrick's 95% likely now and the chance of another SE character are virtually nil; deal with it" thread. Aside from my arguments about what makes Crono and Sora unique and explanations of why Square/God hates Geno, when was the last time another SE character was even brought up? PLEASE let there be something shown at Jump Festa so we can move on...

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Honestly, nothing has gone anywhere in like a week. This really isn't even the Square discussion thread anymore, it's "Erdrick's 95% likely now and the chance of another SE character are virtually nil; deal with it" thread. Aside from my arguments about what makes Crono and Sora unique and explanations of why Square/God hates Geno, when was the last time another SE character was even brought up? PLEASE let there be something shown at Jump Festa so we can move on...
What time is the Dragon Quest things anyway?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Really? Because I saw it as "Yo let's find every reason as of why Erdrick is a bad choices"

I don't mean your posts, since you do bring good argument, but I mean others post that come off more like "Anti-DQ" than anything else, discrediting all of it's merits

But ahem, I guess this is how **** will work until Erdrick is deconfirmed/Confirmed
We will move on from him the moment the Rumor is moot and another one show it's nose.

Just like beforehand we were discussing Sephiroth And Geno when that BS rumor was around-

Just you wait we get one on Sora or Geno or Crono and people will talk about them I think.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The pushback is from the implied inevitability and slammed door for any other Square characters. People basically being told that they have about as much of a chance of farting out a gold egg than two new Square characters will kind of do that. I dunno. I came in here more on the optimistic side for a change and the general consensus seemed to be "no, you're being a deluded pissbaby." I don't really see it as double dipping especially with how SEGA got two DLC characters across two games with both being from companies it owns: Platinum and Atlus. Dragon Quest is more Armor Project/Bird Studio's than Square's to begin with anyways. Like it's been said, SEGA, Konami, and Capcom have all gotten three and people argue that the only reason Namco doesn't have more is because Tales is their only franchise with a realistic chance as is with Tekken being given a hard no. My line of thinking is that they probably won't bring on another third party aside from maybe one Western one (Microsoft is the only one I think as a real chance) so another Namco and Square character just makes sense me.

D

Deleted member

Something I find funny is that people are calling Erdrick a shill pick but not Joker even though if the leak is to be believed he's there to promote the supposed P5 Switch port.
Either they both are or they both aren't.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Something I find funny is that people are calling Erdrick a shill pick but not Joker even though if the leak is to be believed he's there to promote the supposed P5 Switch port.
Either they both are or they both aren't.
Honestly I believe the one potential character who would be a real "shill" character to the very cynical connotation some people here are portraying would be Edelgard for Three Houses.

But yeah Atlus definitely wants there to be more advertisement for Persona. P5 was a great game and I am glad it did so well, but there is no guarantee P6 will get the same kind of success especially if they want to go more lighthearted in tone like P4.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Uhhh... why are we expecting an announcement on the 22nd exactly?

D

Deleted member

Uhhh... why are we expecting an announcement on the 22nd exactly?
Dragon Quest panel at Jump Festa with info for DQ11 Switch and DQ Builders 2 will have a "special guest"
Some people seem to think that it will be Sakurai but we'll just have to wait and see.

NB96

Smash Rookie
I know many people have their hearts set on Geno but I think the DQ3 Hero would be really cool. Like Marth but with tons of magic. Hopefuly they will have good movement, reach and have his sweet spot be the tip of the sword. I think they could potentially be busted with all around good moves everywhere on their kit.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He is, somewhat, but to a lesser degree in my opinion. Joker is one of those characters I've seen around. Typically didn't do super well in polls but probably top 30-40 so the demand was there. I've seen the suggestion brought up a number of times here on Smashboards too, usually with the side note that they saw him as borderline impossible. Even back in the Brawl days, Jack Frost had "okay" support overall.

In my 13 years here, this is the first speculation cycle where I've even seen Erdrick suggested, and that was after Hitagi's comments. If Dragon Quest popped up, it was Slime and, as you can tell, there wasn't exactly thunderous support. In PolarPanda's discord, his source was even calling him "Edward" for awhile until he was corrected because he'd never heard of him before. When I do see support, the people are usually around my age or older, meaning the NES was big part of their childhood or teenage years.

I mention this because it points to his obscurity. People definitely know Dragon Quest. It's not unpopular but for a lot of Western gamers it's just kind of there unless you're a big JRPG fan. It exists and people acknowledge that. It was a fairly big deal in the late 80's with a resurge in popularity being very recent after several decades. Despite this, it's still not on a ton of Westerners' radars. I mention this because Persona 5 sold better in the West and made up something like 60-70% of its overall sales.

Backing up even further, Shin Megami Tensei is another super Japanese series but for some reason Westerners love the Persona games so there's more of an equilibrium when it comes to appeal. Dragon Quest is overwhelmingly favored in Japan than anywhere else with the most of the spin-offs being outright bombs in the West. That's why it's a point of contention and part of why people are getting "uppity."

Persona 5 was huge and even won some very prestigious awards in the West. Several years have passed and it's even still a big part of gamer culture and memes. Dragon Quest hasn't had this kind of cultural impact in the West since cassette tapes were still a thing. Most Westerners don't even recognize the main DQ theme but get enough drunk gamers together and they could sing Vampire Killer, Green Hill Zone, or Hikari without missing a beat. Castlevania nor Megaman have sold super great in years but are still present in memes and gamer culture from the AVGN to Smooth McGroove to Robot Chicken to Game Grumps. On that note, Game Grumps has never even played a Dragon Quest game on their show in their 6.5 year span.

http://gamegrumps.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Grumps_(series)

Circling back, Dragon Quest is significantly more niche in the West than in Japan. In Japan, it's bigger than Jesus. In the West, your typical fan will be old enough to have kids in elementary school at least. That's the overall difference. Dragon Quest is seen as obscure and Erdrick just completely blows past that, genuinely sticking out when you put him next to all the other third party characters.

D

Deleted member

So, is it safe to say that this whole rumor may blow over at Jump Fiesta and if we don’t get anything there, should we just throw this whole rumor away?
No. No one is outright saying it will happen then, that it's just a possibility.

xenother

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 183383
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way 5ch works, but it looks to me like he said that the 5 DLC characters will be Joker, Erdrick, Tracer, Leon Kennedy, and Sol Bad Guy. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
No. No one is outright saying it will happen then, that it's just a possibility.
Ah, okay. It just I’ve been seeing the event of pop up recently within the past two pages, was there something said about Jump Fiesta being the place where Erdrick would get revealed? I always thought it was the least likely to get revealed there, just because it was a bit too obvious an event.

Top Bottom