• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ridley's a flying heavy with goofy range and K. Rool is the only super heavy with projectiles and the gold belly super armor mechanic. Both are even more unique when their personalities are thrown in. As it stands, Erdrick is on par with Mii Swordsman but possibly with a shield (probably not a big focus since that's Link's unique trait) and magic. This goes back to the question of why am I paying 6 bucks for a character like this?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don’t think a fighter has to be especially unique to be in Smash. This line of thinking seems to come from Smash 4 even though that game had very straightforward newcomers on its roster too.

Ridley has no real bells or whistles but he’s in Ultimate. Same with K. Rool outside of the armor mechanic. I don’t see why Erdrick couldn’t be just a magic swordsman.
I mean, with the amount of effort you need to get him, he better be unique enough to turn heads. And almost all of the characters in Ultimate has something to make them unique. Inkling has the ink mechanic, Ridley has his damage and that tail attack, Simon has his melee range, King K. Rool is a heavy projectile user with the previously mentioned armor, Isabelle has that fishing rod, and Incineroar is our wrestling character. And with DLC, PP has a very bizarre and unique move set while Joker will be our first knife wielder(Sheik's FS does not count, otherwise Kirby is a sword wielder) as well as pretty much using a stand.

D

Deleted member

I don’t think a fighter has to be especially unique to be in Smash. This line of thinking seems to come from Smash 4 even though that game had very straightforward newcomers on its roster too.

Ridley has no real bells or whistles but he’s in Ultimate. Same with K. Rool outside of the armor mechanic. I don’t see why Erdrick couldn’t be just a magic swordsman.
I'll trust Sakurai to work his magic if it does happen.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley's a flying heavy with goofy range and K. Rool is the only super heavy with projectiles and the gold belly super armor mechanic. Both are even more unique when their personalities are thrown in. As it stands, Erdrick is on par with Mii Swordsman but possibly with a shield (probably not a big focus since that's Link's unique trait) and magic. This goes back to the question of why am I paying 6 bucks for a character like this?
For being "flying," Ridley has an awful hard time doing anything substantial in the air. :p

After making us spend 5 bucks on Marth With Fire, I think Erdrick is far less egregious.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For being "flying," Ridley has an awful hard time doing anything substantial in the air. :p

After making us spend 5 bucks on Marth With Fire, I think Erdrick is far less egregious.
But Roy was a veteran, not a new character. And was also still highly requested despite his clone status.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

I'd agree with you, but that was the implication from Reggie's words. JC Rodrigo also states that this DLC is a must have for fans. I would understand Sora, Geno, and even Crono and Sephiroth on this list. Erdrick? Not so much.

And most of the newcomers in Smash 4 were...pretty unique tho. Not to mention the clone complaints?

Roy is a veteran though, so thats a little different. Even in the long post Sakurai made about bringing back veterans, he knew they'd be highly requested. That's also why Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers returned. Roy was actually a REQUESTED return pick. Fans wanted Roy. I think it would be a different case if Roy was a complete newcomer who was simply Fire Marth, in which id agree with you

edit: got ninja'd lmao

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
But Roy was a veteran, not a new character. And was also still highly requested despite his clone status.
If Piranha Plant and Joker have taught us anything is it's that being "highly requested" probably doesn't factor into things as much as we would have thought. I think all of the DLC will be selected for reasons other than purely fan requests.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Roy was one of the most wanted cut characters to return and they even bothered to make him more unique from Marth, giving him new animations and strengthening his strength at the hilt mechanic. Roy wasn't a reluctant buy for most people, he was a fastball pitch your wallet at the screen pick. "Roy's our boy."

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Im still not too sure why they were looking for a character to sell the game so they put Piranha Plant out. Did Sakurai want plant representation in Ultimate?

D

Deleted member

If Piranha Plant and Joker have taught us anything is it's that being "highly requested" probably doesn't factor into things as much as we would have thought. I think all of the DLC will be selected for reasons other than purely fan requests.
It didn't even start with this. Where was the demand for characters like Ryu and Cloud? Everyone agrees they were good newcomers but there wasn't exactly a largely vocal fanbase for them within the Smash community.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
It didn't even start with this. Where was the demand for characters like Ryu and Cloud? Everyone agrees they were good newcomers but there wasn't exactly a largely vocal fanbase for them within the Smash community.
Those two were unexpected at that point, people thought the roster wasn't going to be flexible because Nintendo.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Wasn't there rumors of a Granblue fighting game floating around for a long time though?
The the only person who ever rumored it was Hitagi, and Hitagi did not know Arcsystem was involved. That's not to say Hitagi didn't know the developer, but he never publicized it. Interesting that somebody in Japan knew of the Grandblue game and its developer, while also hearing the same Smash DLC name that the majority of others have been hearing the most.

I'm glad this got enough attention to get translated into English.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Those two were unexpected at that point, people thought the roster wasn't going to be flexible because Nintendo.
But there wasn't a fan demand. My point is that fan demand seems to be a smaller merit for DLC than other factors.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Cloud, yes. Ryu, not from what I saw.
I'd agree with you, but that was the implication from Reggie's words. JC Rodrigo also states that this DLC is a must have for fans. I would understand Sora, Geno, and even Crono and Sephiroth on this list. Erdrick? Not so much.
Man selling thing promises you that you'll want to buy thing.

But this kind of perspective reminds me of people saying "there's no way Ken and Incineroar are the last two, that's so anti-hype."

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
And with DLC, PP has a very bizarre and unique move set while Joker will be our first knife wielder(Sheik's FS does not count, otherwise Kirby is a sword wielder) as well as pretty much using a stand.
Not to say much, but I'm pretty sure Rosalina already has a Stand Master/Stand motif going for her, at least, when comparing her to similar characters in Capcom's Jojo game (Kakyoin and Polnareff to be more specific). Of course, Joker can have his own way to work it out and be unique, but he wouldn't be the first character to have a gimmick like that one.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Im still not too sure why they were looking for a character to sell the game so they put Piranha Plant out. Did Sakurai want plant representation in Ultimate?
I think Sakurai just really wanted to flex his character making. As said many times, he values move set uniqueness, and he likely saw something amazing with PP. Also, it would be mook representation rather than just plant. And one of the most recognizable mook's in gaming at that.
But there wasn't a fan demand. My point is that fan demand seems to be a smaller merit for DLC than other factors.
Sakurai outright said that in the ballot, Cloud was the most popular FF rep. So requests actually did play a factor.

D

Deleted member

Not to say much, but I'm pretty sure Rosalina already has a Stand Master/Stand motif going for her, at least, when comparing her to similar characters in Capcom's Jojo game (Kakyoin and Polnareff to be more specific). Of course, Joker can have his own way to work it out and be unique, but he wouldn't be the first character to have a gimmick like that one.
I imagine Joker would have multiple Personas to summon though, as compared to just Rosalina's Luma. As for if they're part of their regular attacks or separate entities, it could be either honestly. Both could work.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't understand why people use this as a point when it's obvious PR talk. Like, what do you expect the Nintendo Treehouse employee to say about the DLC of one of their main console sellers?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I imagine Joker would have multiple Personas to summon though, as compared to just Rosalina's Luma. As for if they're part of their regular attacks or separate entities, it could be either honestly. Both could work.
Joker will also be able to put him away, something Rosalina can't do with Luma.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I have at least two ideas to make him differ: one would be for Joker to only use Arsene, who's going to have his own moveset, but won't ever stay away from him, unlike Luma, as in, if Rosalina is Kakyoin/Polnareff, then Joker is Jotaro/Dio; the second idea would be to, as you say, give him multiple personas, but at the price that they can't fight on their own and disappear as soon as the special attack is done (see Black Polnareff for reference on that).

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Almost every pick/additional dlc pick that makes it into Smash is due to fan demand. Remember that poll Fatmanonice posted a couple pages back? Most, if not all those top characters made it in. Ridley, King K Rool, even Sakurai goes so far to mention how Dark Samus and Chrom were both fan picks. Cloud, Mewtwo, Lucas, Bayo, and Roy were all fan demanded characters. If Ryu was odd man out it makes sense (even though I don't really believe it)

Cloud, yes. Ryu, not from what I saw.
Man selling thing promises you that you'll want to buy thing.

But this kind of perspective reminds me of people saying "there's no way Ken and Incineroar are the last two, that's so anti-hype."
Idk, I don't think Smash cares about "hype" at the end of the day. Smash is probably gonna be hype because it's Smash. But Ken and Inceneroar were kind of meh, for me. Big fan of Isabelle, K Rool, and Joker tho. Joker was crazy. But Joker isn't gonna wanna make me buy P5. I already have it lmao.

Lowkey think this is a bit of a stretch. I remember Sakurai saying something more along the lines of Rosalina and Luma having a relationship akin to that of a puppet and puppetmaster, and because this was UNIQUE, he wanted it in Smash. A Persona is different.

I don't understand why people use this as a point when it's obvious PR talk. Like, what do you expect the Nintendo Treehouse employee to say about the DLC of one of their main console sellers?
I should also combine that with his statement about how Nintendo hears fan demand about charcters, so putting two and two together, one can have some hope in those statements being a little genuine. However, hearing fan demand doesn't always mean implementing it.

Outside of obvious PR talk, like I said, most of Smash 4's character inclusions and DLC were all pretty unique characters outside of Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina who were clones. And people complained about that.

I wonder if Joker would only use Arsene and then another certain persona as a FS....more than likely the FS will be All Out Attack tho

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The the only person who ever rumored it was Hitagi, and Hitagi did not know Arcsystem was involved. That's not to say Hitagi didn't know the developer, but he never publicized it. Interesting that somebody in Japan knew of the Grandblue game and its developer, while also hearing the same Smash DLC name that the majority of others have been hearing the most.

I'm glad this got enough attention to get translated into English.
Oh...No one talked that the game was an Arc Sys game, so that's why it's getting traction right?

D

Deleted member

Y’know maybe Erdrich getting leaked is a good thing partially. Could mean there won’t be as many ‘literally who’ or confused reactions when he’s revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember someone saying how a Treehouse employee said that they read social media, forums and such and send info about character requests to Nintendo, Sakurai, all them, but yeah I dunno about a source.

Of course, this doesn't mean they see every request/the true amount of requests for a specific character, nor that Nintendo and Sakurai take every request into very serious consideration, else we'd probably have Isaac and Waluigi as playable by now.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Lowkey think this is a bit of a stretch. I remember Sakurai saying something more along the lines of Rosalina and Luma having a relationship akin to that of a puppet and puppetmaster, and because this was UNIQUE, he wanted it in Smash. A Persona is different.
It sounds like it, but once you start comparing both through gameplay, it's not as far-fetched as you think. Some characters in Heritage for the Future (Capcom's Jojo game) like Avdol, Kakyoin and Polnareff are able to move their stands around the stage with no issue just like Rosalina does, and not only that, those stands and some more have their own healthbars and can take damage, and if you "defeat" them, the user can't use them temporarily in the same style as when you kill Luma.

D

Deleted member

Y’know maybe Erdrich getting leaked is a good thing partially. Could mean there won’t be as many ‘literally who’ or confused reactions when he’s revealed.
Honestly even with the seemingly negative reception to his potential inclusion within the community, I just hope that at least some people try to be more open to it lol. I've wanted a DQ rep for a while now.

Is Erdrick even within my top 5 picks for a DQ rep though? Not at all, but I can understand why they would go with him. Like others have said, he's like Marth or Simon Belmont; not the fan favorite but the most recognizable and/or important figures within their series.

Calane

Smash Ace
Reading some of these comments is getting a little exhausting.

Erdrick would no doubt be representing the abilities of DQ's "Hero Class", a class that he actually started within the series himself. Sure, he's a magic swordsman, but that doesn't mean he'd play anything like Robin. Even if a character's concept sounds similar to another one on paper, that doesn't actually mean they'd play anything alike. If that were the case, Captain Falcon should just be "Speedy Mario" since they're both punchy-kicky fighters with fire effects on some of their attacks. Obviously, that isn't the case. Basically, it's the execution of the concept that matters, and Erdrick's spells wouldn't even behave like Robin's anyway.

Erdrick's Wiki Page can show you all the different weapons and spells he could use in his original game.

Here's the page for the "Hero Class" in general so you can see what else they could potentially pull from.

Erdrick has loads of potential to be an interesting and fun character to work with. There's so many different directions you could take his moveset. Heck, if they had it so Erdrick could equip different weapons on the fly, that'd make for an extremely unique character that could change how their normal attacks work in order to adapt to different opponents. Maybe you stick with the balanced sword, maybe you switch to a lance for longer range, maybe you switch to a chain sickle for more speed, etc.

There's so much you could do, and it really only takes a little bit of creativity to come up with some wild stuff.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly even with the seemingly negative reception to his potential inclusion within the community, I just hope that at least some people try to be more open to it lol. I've wanted a DQ rep for a while now.

Is Erdrick even within my top 5 picks for a DQ rep though? Not at all, but I can understand why they would go with him. Like others have said, he's like Marth or Simon Belmont; not the fan favorite but the most recognizable/important figures within their series.
Eh, the so-called negative reception won't even be that big, people will deal with him like they dealt with Corrin and other "mixed" characters like Incineroar.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh...No one talked that the game was an Arc Sys game, so that's why it's getting traction right?
I swear this isn't correct. I feel like it was a big topic of discussion that they're making a Katalina Platinum game and an ArcSys fighting game for GranBlue back when the Katalina rumor was at an all time high. Someone with more stamina than me can search the general thread but I swear this was known.

Anyway Erdrick is dope

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
A puppeteer is very different from a stand user. They're only similar conceptually. In practice, they're nowhere near the same thing. Saying "Rosalina already has the stand user thing" is like saying "We've already got a character who uses guns and explosives with Snake, we don't need Inkling."

The reason I hate Erdrick (or any DQ rep sans Slime) is because they offer literally nothing in terms of gameplay, unless they have some kind of level-up mechanic to reference that they're from an RPG. Which is something that probably won't happen, but is also something literally any RPG character could have. There are tons of characters that I have ZERO attachment to, but them being in Smash makes me happy because I enjoy how fun they are to play. I can really only see Erdrick being a faster Robin or something. I kinda hate all the FE representation we've gotten, but I won't deny that Marth and Ike and Chrom are all fun as hell to play as for me.

Joker? I've never played Persona, but a stand user with a knife sounds ****ing badass. Banjo? I actually kind of hate the game (crucify me if you must) but a duo character completely unlike Ice Climbers sounds rad as hell. Geno? Even if I hated SMRPG, he's got a rocket punch arm and bullets coming out of all of his holes, that's awesome.

A character with a sword and shield who can also use various types of magic?
...You mean Robin with a shield?

Even Sora is more unique than Erdrick. The Keyblade is basically just a sword, sure, but Sora has drive forms to work with, long aerial combos are a huge part of his games, he can basically fly/float a lot of the time, and (though it probably wouldn't happen in smash) he can summon ****ing disney characters to help him fight.

D

Deleted member

Reading some of these comments is getting a little exhausting.

Erdrick would no doubt be representing the abilities of DQ's "Hero Class", a class that he actually started within the series himself. Sure, he's a magic swordsman, but that doesn't mean he'd play anything like Robin. Even if a character's concept sounds similar to another one on paper, that doesn't actually mean they'd play anything alike. If that were the case, Captain Falcon should just be "Speedy Mario" since they're both punchy-kicky fighters with fire effects on some of their attacks. Obviously, that isn't the case. Basically, it's the execution of the concept that matters, and Erdrick's spells wouldn't even behave like Robin's anyway.

Erdrick's Wiki Page can show you all the different weapons and spells he could use in his original game.

Here's the page for the "Hero Class" in general so you can see what else they could potentially pull from.

Erdrick has loads of potential to be an interesting and fun character to work with. There's so many different directions you could take his moveset. Heck, if they had it so Erdrick could equip different weapons on the fly, that'd make for an extremely unique character that could change how their normal attacks work in order to adapt to different opponents. Maybe you stick with the balanced sword, maybe you switch to a lance for longer range, maybe you switch to a chain sickle for more speed, etc.

There's so much you could do, and it really only takes a little bit of creativity to come up with some wild stuff.
I find it kind of funny how a lot of people are bringing up all the different stuff that could be done with him and some people are still eager to bark about how he would be a Robin clone lmao

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai outright said that in the ballot, Cloud was the most popular FF rep. So requests actually did play a factor.
Sakurai never said Cloud came from the ballot. He said Final Fantasy in Smash has been requested for a while, and Cloud was obviously the most popular choice. Sakurai didn't need a ballot to show that Cloud is the most popular Final Fantasy character, especially globally.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Data for Cloud in Smash exists as early as April 2015, which means he was decided on outside of the ballot.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I find it kind of funny how a lot of people are bringing up all the different stuff that could be done with him and some people are still eager to bark about how he would be a Robin clone lmao
The problem is, every idea people have brought up is not unique to Erdrick, nor is it integral to his character. I read that Hero Class page, and the only thing on there that was even slightly unique was the "turn party members to metal" thing. Using it on himself would be pretty cool, but then again... Shulk can functionally do the same thing with Shield monado.

Equipping different things, having a level up system, etc, all are things they could've done with Cloud, or really any RPG character. They didn't, because they didn't need to. The character was already unique. Erdrick would be cool and unique if they had added him in Melee. Otherwise, he's either going to be boring, or untrue to his character.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Welp.

To be fair, though, the leaker could only piggyback off of him if they either heard of him or understood English themselves (which is entirely possible, of course, but it at least still keeps it in limbo, and probably just helps it seem legit).
Yes.. this was one point I was trying to get across. It's much less likely that a random Japanese person would copy something completely random Verge said over a month ago and put it in a leak on the Japanese equivalent to 4chan.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Yes.. this was one point I was trying to get across. It's much less likely that a random Japanese person would copy something completely random Verge said over a month ago and put it in a leak on the Japanese equivalent to 4chan.
What if some english person who also speaks Japanese posted it there? Then they also took the screenshot of the very same post, pretending to have not written it? If someone in Japan wrote it, it must have some more credibility, right?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
A puppeteer is very different from a stand user. They're only similar conceptually. In practice, they're nowhere near the same thing. Saying "Rosalina already has the stand user thing" is like saying "We've already got a character who uses guns and explosives with Snake, we don't need Inkling."
I never said Joker isn't, can't, or won't be unique at all. What I meant is that the motif already exists in a way, but I never said that you can't expand on it through different ways so the character feels fresh.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakurai never said Cloud came from the ballot. He said Final Fantasy in Smash has been requested for a while, and Cloud was obviously the most popular choice. Sakurai didn't need a ballot to show that Cloud is the most popular Final Fantasy character, especially globally.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Data for Cloud in Smash exists as early as April 2015, which means he was decided on outside of the ballot.
"Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try. "
It's not ballot I guess, but requests are still a factor.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Top Bottom