• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Even just the collection with it would be great. and supposedly one's coming, so maybe you'll get to play it :)
I mean, anyone could play it now, but making it more accessible would work really good.
I mean, I don't have an NES or SNES. Or is it on mobile? I heard some of them are on mobile, such as DQIV

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
A user in a Resetera thread posted this DQ trailer I've never seen. It's where those cool GIFs came from. Thought I'd post it here.

Oh geez, we are totally getting DQ heroes with Dragon Ball auras if they make it into smash, huh? Well, I won't complain. Guess the people who wanted Goku can have a bit of fanservice too.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
A user in a Resetera thread posted this DQ trailer I've never seen. It's where those cool GIFs came from. Thought I'd post it here.

Okay, I recognized most of those guys, but why did Erdrick have blonde hair? And then there was the normal, dark-haired Erdrick. I think I'm missing something here. Forgive me, I've only ever played DQXI and Heroes 2, so I'm not too familiar with the characters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They buffed Joker? What?????
Just side-b. Not too big. but yeah he's pretty good. At least we know they're still doing these patches so it looks good for the future

Right? Also RIP Pichu man rofl
They really did a number on pichu. Which might be ok, but i dont like glass canons that much so i might just use pikachu even more now.
I kinda dont like seeing nerfs for daisy and peach, even if some are ok. ehhh..

I mean, I don't have an NES or SNES. Or is it on mobile? I heard some of them are on mobile, such as DQIV
The best option if you dont use mobile for now is actually an snes emulator with a translated rom. I wouldn't promote it if there was a better option right now, but that could change if there's a dq collection on switch :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, I recognized most of those guys, but why did Erdrick have blonde hair? And then there was the normal, dark-haired Erdrick. I think I'm missing something here. Forgive me, I've only ever played DQXI and Heroes 2, so I'm not too familiar with the characters.
It's DQ1 hero without armor. They only ever used that design there to my knowledge, dunno why they just didn't stick with the original design.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The best option if you dont use mobile for now is actually an snes emulator with a translated rom. I wouldn't promote it if there was a better option right now, but that could change if there's a dq collection on switch :)
I don't mind playing it on mobile, if it's on mobile, but I'd much rather wait for it to come to the Switch

Yeah it's not
That's crazy, because it looks just like him. Honestly it looked like a Super Saiyan Erdrick to me.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just side-b. Not too big. but yeah he's pretty good. At least we know they're still doing these patches so it looks good for the future
Yeah, but the side b during persona mode is allmost a kill move in how strong it is. O.o thats why its such a big oh dear for me...

Ugh... it Will be even more annoying playing against sis now (she is a joker main and a damm good one )

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
The blonde haired one is actually the Hero of DQ1 without his armor.

liquidmetalslime already beat me to the punch, but I was already writing this, so I might as well post it.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The one with the blonde hair is actually the Hero of DQ1 without his armor.

liquidmetalslime already beat me to the punch, but I was already writing this, so I might as well post it.
Oh okay. I guess I thought it was Erdrick because of the iconic head piece... not sure what it's called

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm so happy that reeling in the fishing rod with Isabelle catches opponents on the way back. Feels like something that should have been in there from the beginning; I don't use Isabelle too often but the few times I did I was confused when it wasn't working.

12 more days until Nintendo's E3, everyone. Hopefully the rumored Square Enix character finally gets revealed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh okay. I guess I thought it was Erdrick because of the iconic head piece... not sure what it's called
Erdrick's Helmet is one way to say it. Or Helmet of Eldrick. That's something I love about DQ1. The Erdrick equipment.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm so happy that reeling in the fishing rod with Isabelle catches opponents on the way back. Feels like something that should have been in there from the beginning; I don't use Isabelle too often but the few times I did I was confused when it wasn't working.

12 more days until Nintendo's E3, everyone. Hopefully the rumored Square Enix character finally gets revealed.
What do you mean? Isabelle was always able to do that. edit: ok i see in the notes, but that's just a small tweek, it's not a buff.
A lot of characters werent touched, i saw a lot of people not happy about that, but seems they're focusing on a few characters at a time, so she might be buffed a little in the future. the fishing rod is not very often useful. but still fun ;p

ok gotta go. everyone have fun on the road toward e3 :)

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I actually thought I was in the Erdrick thread this whole time. I meant to post that DQ trailer there... Whoops! Not sure how that happened.

Oh well, at least I didn't post it somewhere where it'd be completely random. That would have been embarrassing, lol.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just wanted to share a few Dragon Quest pictures I found online that I like

__ganaha_hibiki_shijou_takane_soldier_jester_priest_and_etc_idolmaster_classic_and_etc_drawn_b...jpg
__marquis_de_leon_mochizuki_anna_heroine_ibuki_tsubasa_makabe_mizuki_and_etc_idolmaster_millio...jpg
__hero_and_kikuchi_makoto_idolmaster_classic_and_etc_drawn_by_oku_okumen__sample-be8d7c7336c70...jpg

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
A headband? A crown? A circlet? A tiara? I guess its a Tiara since its what is described in this image of the DQV marriage candidates.

Erdrick's Helmet is one way to say it. Or Helmet of Eldrick. That's something I love about DQ1. The Erdrick equipment.
Actually what is called Erdrick's Helmet in the games is not the gold ti... thing Erdrick wears but Ortega's Helmet, which belonged to Erdrick's father. Its especially cute since all of the "Erdrick Items" in DQ1-2 are usually the second strongest item in DQIII (Usually only behind ultra-rare joke items like the blessed bikini) but Ortega's Helmet is pretty much mid-game, so that means canon Erdrick just refused to wear other helmets outside of his/her dad's one, even if they provided better protection, as a way of honoring him I guess.

DQ + Idolmaster...
I can hear the sound of a thousand mangas being delayed in the distance...

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
A headband? A crown? A circlet? A tiara? I guess its a Tiara since its what is described in this image of the DQV marriage candidates.

Actually what is called Erdrick's Helmet in the games is not the gold ti... thing Erdrick wears but Ortega's Helmet, which belonged to Erdrick's father. Its especially cute since all of the "Erdrick Items" in DQ1-2 are usually the second strongest item in DQIII (Usually only behind ultra-rare joke items like the blessed bikini) but Ortega's Helmet is pretty much mid-game, so that means canon Erdrick just refused to wear other helmets outside of his/her dad's one, even if they provided better protection, as a way of honoring him I guess.

DQ + Idolmaster...
I can hear the sound of a thousand mangas being delayed in the distance...
Still waiting for a Hatsune Miku x Dragon Quest crossover. I'm amazed that hasnt happened yet.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

That female interpretation of the DQ1 Hero is my absolute favorite. Nice find!

-
To answer a question from a while back. I don’t think we’re getting two SquareEnix characters, although that would be awesome and unexpected. It’s funny in a way because both companies heavily supported Nintendo back in the day. They should be support-trigger happy like Capcom, who between characters, spirits, ATs and music is one of the best represented 3rd party companies. (I was surprised that every World Warrior and every Robot Master from MM1 has their theme songs in smash!)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That female interpretation of the DQ1 Hero is my absolute favorite. Nice find!

-
To answer a question from a while back. I don’t think we’re getting two SquareEnix characters, although that would be awesome and unexpected. It’s funny in a way because both companies heavily supported Nintendo back in the day. They should be support-trigger happy like Capcom, who between characters, spirits, ATs and music is one of the best represented 3rd party companies. (I was surprised that every World Warrior and every Robot Master from MM1 has their theme songs in smash!)
Oh you mean like a Square character and an Enix character? Yeah there's no way. It would seem like Nintendo is picking favorites by allowing SE to get two characters. Also, wasn't it originally that FF was Square and DQ was Enix? I watched a video about the history of SE recently and I think that's what was said in the video, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: also that female interpretation of the DQ1 hero is named Makoto Kikuchi, in case you were wondering :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Oh you mean like a Square character and an Enix character? Yeah there's no way. It would seem like Nintendo is picking favorites by allowing SE to get two characters. Also, wasn't it originally that FF was Square and DQ was Enix? I watched a video about the history of SE recently and I think that's what was said in the video, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes Dragon Quest was Enix exclusive until the merger back around the early 2000s

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I wouldn't see doomguy as more likely (especially after cloud and all). And I would say doomguy is not a good fit for smash but plenty of people are willing to argue against that, so i'll just say that personally I dont think he is, or at least wouldn't want him in. I'm sure some people would enjoy him tho.

Anyway, even if i think there might not be a microsoft rep, I do have to admit that it would look interesting to have a more western character and a more eastern one. I dont know if i'll watch the microsoft presentation or not, but i'm definitely curious about it.
Finally someone who agrees with me on Doom Slayer. I also don't think Doom belongs in Smash at all.
Nintendo fans go for any third party that gets a port to Nintendo's console. It was the case for Bayo, it's the case for Slayer and other random characters.
No disrespect to his fans. I just don't think Nintendo stands for the same thing Doom does. Doom has always been the contemporary hardcore stuff that more western gamers are into. Nintendo is more classic and universal.

And FF was Square?
Yes

On a side note, the E3 hype train is starting to accelerate. Buckle up fellas. :3

And as a Mario player, the Lucina nerf is a godsend. Will make the Cloud X Lucina MU better to deal with too.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't see why everyone's so dead-set on us getting a Microsoft character. Like, I know Vergeben said Minecraft content, but is that why? I dunno, it just seems like everyone thinks it's 100% gonna happen and I'm just like... why are you so convinced?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Finally someone who agrees with me on Doom Slayer. I also don't think Doom belongs in Smash at all.
Nintendo fans go for any third party that gets a port to Nintendo's console. It was the case for Bayo, it's the case for Slayer and other random characters.
No disrespect to his fans. I just don't think Nintendo stands for the same thing Doom does. Doom has always been the contemporary hardcore stuff that more western gamers are into. Nintendo is more classic and universal.
Plus, correct me if I¨m wrong... isn¨t Doom like MK not that big (to put it mildly) in Japan?

I don't see why everyone's so dead-set on us getting a Microsoft character. Like, I know Vergeben said Minecraft content, but is that why? I dunno, it just seems like everyone thinks it's 100% gonna happen and I'm just like... why are you so convinced?
While Vergebens claim was one of the reasons (I don´t know how many people takes that aspect seriously after the whole Enderdragon debacle) It's because of the apparent collaboration that Nintendo and Microsoft are apparently having. For instance, Cuphead (which normally was a Microsoft exclusive) got a Nintendo Switch port because Phill Spencer pushed it. There are a strong indication and rumors that Xbox lives & game pass is coming to Switch. Let¨s not also forget that Halo remaster trilogy is rumored to come to Switch (King Zell is one of the people that have mentioned it)

It's not set in stone confirmed yes, but people assume it because of everything that is apparently going on between the two.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Yes

On a side note, the E3 hype train is starting to accelerate. Buckle up fellas. :3

And as a Mario player, the Lucina nerf is a godsend. Will make the Cloud X Lucina MU better to deal with too.
Well I’m not going to argue about it.
I like Doom and I find Doomguy to be an excellent choice. Mind you, I haven’t played the 2016 game, which I understand is much more violent and graphic.

To me the line of what “belongs in smash” And what does not, began to blur when Snake joined the roster. And it especially became more so when Bayonetta and Joker came along.
I mean just because realistic looking guns (with real gun sound effects) are wielded by anime looking characters, or Kirby, doesn’t make them less of a gun.
But I take it you mean the whole rip and tear bit, which tbh I’m not familiar with.
The blood isn’t what drove me to the series anyway.

But hey, a guy can dream! Most of my wants are pipe dreams. And i blame Bethesda for that whole “we talked about smash bros” comment from a while back.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Plus, correct me if I¨m wrong... isn¨t Doom like MK not that big (to put it mildly) in Japan?

While Vergebens claim was one of the reasons (I don´t know how many people takes that aspect seriously after the whole Enderdragon debacle) It's because of the apparent collaboration that Nintendo and Microsoft are apparently having. For instance, Cuphead (which normally was a Microsoft exclusive) got a Nintendo Switch port because Phill Spencer pushed it. There are a strong indication and rumors that Xbox lives & game pass is coming to Switch. Let¨s not also forget that Halo remaster trilogy is rumored to come to Switch (King Zell is one of the people that have mentioned it)

It's not set in stone confirmed yes, but people assume it because of everything that is apparently going on between the two.
I mean it could just be a collaboration of games that aren't Smash and that's it. I can understand that, but that doesn't mean we'll ever get a Microsoft character in Smash. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'm of the mindset that it's a possibility and nothing more :)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean it could just be a collaboration of games that aren't Smash and that's it. I can understand that, but that doesn't mean we'll ever get a Microsoft character in Smash. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, I'm of the mindset that it's a possibility and nothing more :)
I'm with ya

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
It will be so embarrassing if Square has a second character not from FF and then due to DLC rules they get like, six music tracks and more than two PNGs. FF fans will have been robbed of some proper smash fanservice for the simple fact FF is successful and thus valuable, and has been in Smash already.

As the memes go: "Am I a joke to you?"
1292555148308.jpg

Though I dunno if the alternative of selling DLC with more FF content that should have been in 4 would be any less embarrassing.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
As much as I love Dragon Quest to be a part of the fighters pass, my fear is how people will view this as being "robbed," and that's honestly looking like an inevitability. A very toxic inevitability.

D

Deleted member

As much as I love Dragon Quest to be a part of the fighters pass, my fear is how people will view this as being "robbed," and that's honestly looking like an inevitability. A very toxic inevitability.
That's one of the main issues of the fanbase, it kinda gives why there isn't really any talk about anything other than characters that are "leaked" or popular within the bubble.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That's one of the main issues of the fanbase, it kinda gives why there isn't really any talk about anything other than characters that are "leaked" or popular within the bubble.
It's stuff like this that we remain in a more positive headspace, or else we devolve just like those fanbases. Not just Dragon Quest fans but just anyone that's a fan of anything.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I bet they think he would "rob" another character's spot only because they didn't get the character they wanted. Like, if Erdrick got announced, people would say that he "stole" Sora's spot because they wanted Sora instead. Of course the opposite is true. If Sora got announced, some people would say that he "stole" Erdrick's spot, which that entire mindset is just dumb.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
**** them, honestly. It's a childish mindset and it's a harsh reality they'll have to face. Hell, it's my opinion that this fighters pass will be very disliked by the general Smash fanbase and will be filled with characters that "robbed" other characters of a spot. I feel it's going to be an interesting couple of months as this fanbase figures that out.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I feel like dragon quest or chrono trigger is the closest we're gonna get to a dragon ball art style.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
**** them, honestly. It's a childish mindset and it's a harsh reality they'll have to face. Hell, it's my opinion that this fighters pass will be very disliked by the general Smash fanbase and will be filled with characters that "robbed" other characters of a spot. I feel it's going to be an interesting couple of months as this fanbase figures that out.
Give it a few months after the fighter pass is over and everyone is fine with the roster.

Top Bottom