• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

I feel like dragon quest or chrono trigger is the closest we're gonna get to a dragon ball art style.
It literally is Akira Toriyama's art, lol
Give it a few months after the fighter pass is over and everyone is fine with the roster.
Yeah, there will always be a vocal minority of people complaining extra loud, but they'll deal with it. Almost no one is still upset about Corrin right now.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It literally is Akira Toriyama's art, lol

Yeah, there will always be a vocal minority of people complaining extra loud, but they'll deal with it. Almost no one is still upset about Corrin right now.
Yeah, I've grown accustomed to Corrin. He's there anyways, so it's not like I can complain about his existence because it's super pointless at the end of the day.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Question for all my DQ fans Teeb147 Teeb147 NomadLuminary NomadLuminary Calane Calane @liquidmetalslime shinhed-echi shinhed-echi Namasura Namasura . If Erdrick is our second rep. Do you think Square Enix and Nintendo will get him an English voice actor or will he stay with a Japanese voice actor like Cloud?

Now I know the English VA for Cloud (Steve Burton) is in a Union and thats most likely why he is not in Smash as Nintendo refuses to deal with Union VA's. However they can easily get an English VA for Erdrick who is not part of a Union. Personally I think it would be funny and cool to get Sean Schemmel to voice Erdrick, since Goku looks alot like Erdrick (Also Sean Schemmel already voices Lucario in Smash). Or if its kid Erdrick then Stephanie Nadolny could voice him as she voiced kid Goku.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Question for all my DQ fans Teeb147 Teeb147 NomadLuminary NomadLuminary Calane Calane @liquidmetalslime shinhed-echi shinhed-echi Namasura Namasura . If Erdrick is our second rep. Do you think Square Enix and Nintendo will get him an English voice actor or will he stay with a Japanese voice actor like Cloud?

Now I know the English VA for Cloud (Steve Burton) is in a Union and thats most likely why he is not in Smash as Nintendo refuses to deal with Union VA's. However they can easily get an English VA for Erdrick who is not part of a Union. Personally I think it would be funny and cool to get Sean Schemmel to voice Erdrick, since Goku looks alot like Erdrick (Also Sean Schemmel already voices Lucario in Smash). Or if its kid Erdrick then Stephanie Nadolny could voice him as she voiced kid Goku.
I doubt (s)he’ll get a voice because (s)he’s a silent protagonist. Probably will be given a few grunts and yells from the Japanese voice actor.

But would be amusing if Erdrick got one in English!

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace

I don't think Erdrick would be voiced at all, honestly. If anything, he'd probably be voiced about as much as Link is. You know, having a bunch of different grunts and shouts. They could definitely go further than that if they wanted to, but I wouldn't expect it.

If they did, your idea would be pretty funny, lol. However, I personally think Erdrick would have some sort of accent since that tends to be how most DQ characters are voiced. In the scenario that he/she did get fully voiced, I don't think they'd stay with only the Japanese actor like Cloud.

Erdrick sort of makes an appearance at the very end of the game. In that scene, Erdrick's mother says "Cooee", which is apparently a "shout used in Australia". So maybe Erdrick would have an Australian accent? I don't know.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I don't think Erdrick would be voiced at all, honestly. If anything, he'd probably be voiced about as much as Link is. You know, having a bunch of different grunts and shouts. They could definitely go further than that if they wanted to, but I wouldn't expect it.

If they did, your idea would be pretty funny, lol. However, I personally think Erdrick would have some sort of accent since that tends to be how most DQ characters are voiced. In the scenario that he/she did get fully voiced, I don't think they'd stay with only the Japanese actor like Cloud.

Erdrick sort of makes an appearance at the very end of the game. In that scene, Erdrick's mother says "Cooee", which is apparently a "shout used in Australia". So maybe Erdrick would have an Australian accent? I don't know.
Ah I see, and Australian lol I did not see that coming ha. Since I haven’t really played DQ games I wasn’t sure, even with grunts and yells I’m sure they’ll choose a iconic voice actor even if it’s Japanese like Link’s VA Kengo Takanashi. If Nintendo and Square go with only grunts and shouts for Erdrick, I hope they choose Masako Nozawa as Erdrick’s VA. As she’s Goku/Kid Goku’s Japanese VA and if Erdrick is male and female she can voice both.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
If Erdrick is our second rep. Do you think Square Enix and Nintendo will get him an English voice actor or will he stay with a Japanese voice actor like Cloud?
Option C: Erdrick is full mute. Much like Megaman who speaks in later games but is mute in Smash as part of his NES legacy.

If he has a Luminary alt, then maybe he will have both his Japanese VA and American VA, It doesn't matter since they just make hayahh noises.

Anlucia would be the trickiest one, if she is an alt as some leaks say, since she does speak but is from a jp only game.

Cloud's situation had more to do with his American VA's legal situation, not so much with SE.

Edit: Wait, Erdrick's mom has an Australian accent in DQ11? LOL.

I mean, DQ3 is set on a map that mimics Earth and his homeland of Aliahan is in the South Pacific, but there is also a Not-Australia in the game so it's not exactly it, is it? If anything he would have have a Polynesian or New Zealand accent...

Now, as cute as female Erdrick with an Australian accent would be, if they went with any accent, I think the ye olde English of the early translations of early DQ and the Dragon Warrior days would be nice. Just going "But thou must" and stuff.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
As much as I love Dragon Quest to be a part of the fighters pass, my fear is how people will view this as being "robbed," and that's honestly looking like an inevitability. A very toxic inevitability.
Give it a few months after the fighter pass is over and everyone is fine with the roster.

Unfortunately, yeah that is most likely gonna happen.
I would also say that I doubt Smash Bros community, in general, will be fine with the DLC roster at the end of things. Like I said earlier. DLC for this game is the "endgame" on who¨s getting in (especially with there is no indication of a second fighter pass). One of the key things that made people sort of embrace Piranha Plant and Incineroar was that they were not part of the fighters pass.

The only way you would have a chance to get a general consensus on that the DLC overall is a great lineup is if the Grinch leak was real. I think this DLC will be even more controversial unfortunately than Smash4 for the reason of this being "The Ultimate Smash Bros" so to speak. We should try and embrace us no matter who´s is included.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace

I mean, DQ3 is set on a map that mimics Earth and his homeland of Aliahan is in the South Pacific, but there is also a Not-Australia in the game so it's not exactly it, is it? If anything he would have have a Polynesian or New Zealand accent...

Now, as cute as female Erdrick with an Australian accent would be, if they went with any accent, I think the ye olde English of the early translations of early DQ and the Dragon Warrior days would be nice. Just going "But thou must" and stuff.
When I looked up the definition of "Cooee", I got "a shout used in Australia, usually in the bush, to attract attention, find missing people, or indicate one's own location". Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but that's what it said.

According to this video, she even says "Cooee" in the Mobile port. Maybe I'm just looking too deep into it, lol.

Skip to around 1:58.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unfortunately, yeah that is most likely gonna happen.
I would also say that I doubt Smash Bros community, in general, will be fine with the DLC roster at the end of things. Like I said earlier. DLC for this game is the "endgame" on who¨s getting in (especially with there is no indication of a second fighter pass). One of the key things that made people sort of embrace Piranha Plant and Incineroar was that they were not part of the fighters pass.

The only way you would have a chance to get a general consensus on that the DLC overall is a great lineup is if the Grinch leak was real. I think this DLC will be even more controversial unfortunately than Smash4 for the reason of this being "The Ultimate Smash Bros" so to speak. We should try and embrace us no matter who´s is included.
It's a bit much to expect so much from a company just doing their product, that's already put so many characters in a game. It's cool to get hyped and speculate about possible characters, but being so invested that it becomes toxic is poopy (excuse the foul language).

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
When I looked up the definition of "Cooee", I got "a shout used in Australia, usually in the bush, to attract attention, find missing people, or indicate one's own location". Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but that's what it said.

According to this video, she even says "Cooee" in the Mobile port. Perhaps I'm just looking too deep into it, lol.

Skip to around 1:58.
It was meant to wake Erdrick up. Nothing really else other then that.

Calane

Smash Ace
It was meant to wake Erdrick up. Nothing really else other then that.
Yes, of course.

I was just making an observation about the shout itself.

---------------

Just thought I'd post the opening for "Itadaki Street Special" here. It seems fitting for this thread.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, of course.

---------------

Just thought I'd post the opening for "Itadaki Street Special" here. It seems fitting for this thread.

We've already posted it in the past but you brought up the ps2 version one, so it's different :p

As for cooie, it might be inspired from australia but i really dont think they'd give them those kinds of accents :p
Altho maybe i like that better than british ones, dunno.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm alive.
Busy with last year of major studies, work and smash tournament but I'm alive.

I'll try to update everything this week-end. Anyone to give me a big TL;DR of what is floating around about the SE character and what polls you guy want?

D

Deleted member

I'm alive.

I'll try to update everything this week-end. Anyone to give me a big TL;DR of what is floating around about the SE character and what polls you guy want?
Would you believe me if I told you you barely missed anything? at this point we've just been waiting to see if it's Erdrick or not for a couple months now
As for polls IIRC there was talk a few pages back about one about who people WANT opposed to their prediction, maybe including characters not from the list as well

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm alive.

Hi welcome back ;) I dont know if there's much new floating around that's worth putting or anything, but obviously the leakers arent really talking about the square 7 anymore. We talked about changing the poll to add more characters and possibly make it about wants rather than who we expect, though we didn't really talk much more on it..

There was Terra, 2B, Lara, & Tifa for the girls. and would Agnes or someone from Bravely default count?

I gotta go so maybe someone else can list the guys and whoever else could be added.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
We've already posted it in the past but you brought up the ps2 version one, so it's different :p

As for cooie, it might be inspired from australia but i really dont think they'd give them those kinds of accents :p
Altho maybe i like that better than british ones, dunno.
...I mean, that's why I did it. I didn't think that particular opening was posted yet, but perhaps I was mistaken. I apologize for any redundancy.

As for the accent thing, I wasn't really claiming that they would. It was just a thought based on something their mother said, that's all.

I'm honestly terrible at socializing, so I often find myself doing the wrong things or not being very clear with my wording. I try, but it's something I have to get better at.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yes, of course.

---------------

I always loved this opening :3

Hi welcome back ;) I dont know if there's much new floating around that's worth putting or anything, but obviously the leakers arent really talking about the square 7 anymore. We talked about changing the poll to add more characters and possibly make it about wants rather than who we expect, though we didn't really talk much more on it..

There was Terra, 2B, Lara, & Tifa for the girls. and would Agnes or someone from Bravely default count?

I gotta go so maybe someone else can list the guys and whoever else could be added.
Regardless of gender, I think we can also add Cecil from Final Fantasy IV, General Beatrix and Vivi (with NES Black Mage alt) from Final Fantasy IX and Randi from Secret of Mana

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Id be down for all of those, im actually pretty interested in the DGXI port and am planning on buying it. All of you Erdrick fans got me convinced that Im missing out on something :). Also for the sake of my amazing friends @EarlTamm @Ovaltine @AugustusB @Luigi The President hopefully a remake of Super Mario RPG is secretly being worked on and will be released in the next year or so. Also a new mystical ninja for my buddy GoeGoe GoeGoe .

I mean none of this is too far fecthed, lots of ports and remakes are happening so its definitely all possible.
THANK YOUUUU~ (^-^)/
Also, I'm not sure whom I debated this with but I think the reason Nintendo hasn't made a Mario RPG since (aside from their Square fight) is that they already made an answer to their fans, through Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi RPG.. I guess a better wish is to have Geno in a M&L RPG ;)
Also, something I don't think many have considered.. what if the Square rep was.... Randi from Secret of Mana? They've just trademarked a collection.. and, Randi fits the datamined status. Erdrick is not the only chibi swordsman.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It's a bit much to expect so much from a company just doing their product, that's already put so many characters in a game. It's cool to get hyped and speculate about possible characters, but being so invested that it becomes toxic is poopy (excuse the foul language).
I 100% agree with you on this. I´m just saying that the overall reaction will more than likely not be pleasant once the fifth will be revealed (if its the only fighters pass we get). I mean just look at the Grinch leak. There was a literal civil war inside the fandom that would only be topped if someone like Goku (aka 4th party character as the fans call it) would be included. I¨m not gonna say that there will be another Grinch situation when the fifth and final (if we go by Sakurai's word) is revealed.. but the fact that this is supposed to be the Ultimate will just make the end result will be another Corringate as the best case scenario.

Like I said earlier... the biggest reason why people managed to embrace Incineroar and Piranha Plant was that they were not apart of the pass. Had they been apart of the DLC, then that would be a different scenario altogether.

While there are nice and civilized people to discuss like you guys... the general Smash fandom is not the... let just say a mature fandom. in lack of better terms..
Also, what foul language? You don´t need to apologize for that comment.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

i mean in some artwork he looks like gohan so why not Gohan himself Kyle Hebert and since he already voices Ryu it just works out and Gokus voice actor is already here since he voices Lucario

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
i mean in some artwork he looks like gohan so why not Gohan himself Kyle Hebert and since he already voices Ryu it just works out and Gokus voice actor is already here since he voices Lucario
I wonder why nobody’s taken advantage of this meme-worthy reunion.
That’s pretty interesting trivia.

—-

On another note, I’m very interested in getting Secret of Mana collection. So I hope we get it released over here.
Randi would be a pretty out there inclusion but he’d have a very interesting moveset. If he doesn’t include some type of weapon switching mechanic, I’m throwing away all hope for it (the mechanic)
Of course he also has magic and summons.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I wonder why nobody’s taken advantage of this meme-worthy reunion.
That’s pretty interesting trivia.

—-

On another note, I’m very interested in getting Secret of Mana collection. So I hope we get it released over here.
Randi would be a pretty out there inclusion but he’d have a very interesting moveset. If he doesn’t include some type of weapon switching mechanic, I’m throwing away all hope for it (the mechanic)
Of course he also has magic and summons.
the fans made jokes about the lucario thing back in brawl but that's about it i believe. but i'm a voice actor geek so i just know this crap

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I always loved this opening :3

Regardless of gender, I think we can also add Cecil from Final Fantasy IV, General Beatrix and Vivi (with NES Black Mage alt) from Final Fantasy IX and Randi from Secret of Mana
Oh yes. Mana characters are always welcome in my book
You know, I forgot to bring it up, but I made a support page for secret of mana a while back and actually put quite a bit of stuff in the post but it kind of flew under the radar.

You might be interested to take a look:
https://smashboards.com/threads/randi-primm-the-legends-and-secret-of-mana-for-smash.458008/

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I 100% agree with you on this. I´m just saying that the overall reaction will more than likely not be pleasant once the fifth will be revealed (if its the only fighters pass we get). I mean just look at the Grinch leak. There was a literal civil war inside the fandom that would only be topped if someone like Goku (aka 4th party character as the fans call it) would be included. I¨m not gonna say that there will be another Grinch situation when the fifth and final (if we go by Sakurai's word) is revealed.. but the fact that this is supposed to be the Ultimate will just make the end result will be another Corringate as the best case scenario.

Like I said earlier... the biggest reason why people managed to embrace Incineroar and Piranha Plant was that they were not apart of the pass. Had they been apart of the DLC, then that would be a different scenario altogether.

While there are nice and civilized people to discuss like you guys... the general Smash fandom is not the... let just say a mature fandom. in lack of better terms..
Also, what foul language? You don´t need to apologize for that comment.
People had a lot of trouble accepting incineroar and piranha plant, actually, but that was mostly becuase of the grinch leak. Almost everyone is over it now. We already see people a bit tense about inclusions, and i agree there's some immaturity for sure. I just hope that a lot of people continue getting better with it. At the end of the say it'll be what it'll be, and a lot of people will accept it (some with time) and yeah we kinda have to learn to let go the others that wont be mature about it. At least this forum has its good moments and others who want to have a good time. :)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
People had a lot of trouble accepting incineroar and piranha plant, actually, but that was mostly becuase of the grinch leak. Almost everyone is over it now. We already see people a bit tense about inclusions, and i agree there's some immaturity for sure. I just hope that a lot of people continue getting better with it. At the end of the say it'll be what it'll be, and a lot of people will accept it (some with time) and yeah we kinda have to learn to let go the others that wont be mature about it. At least this forum has its good moments and others who want to have a good time. :)
Yes, people were against them at first, but they came over to peoples good side because of the announced fighters pass. Had they not, or those two being apart of the fighters pass. You get the drill. I argue you take the general Smash fandom in a brighter light then what it deserves, unfortunately. But I hope your right

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman

Erdrick's mom is voiced by the same actress who plays the Luminary's (adopted) mom Amber, as far as I can tell. She's clearly doing the same folksy country English accent Amber has.

The people in Aliahan in the modern translation of DQIII have pretty plain dialogue, unlike the people in Lanson, the Australia-land, who are full-on G'DAY BONZER WHAT A BEAUT. When a modern DQ game wants to tell you a character has a particular accent, even without VA, it's extremely unsubtle.

timbo8

Smash Cadet
i mean i get erdick get is next i dont think they should reveal it at e3 that is a western event

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, people were against them at first, but they came over to peoples good side because of the announced fighters pass. Had they not, or those two being apart of the fighters pass. You get the drill. I argue you take the general Smash fandom in a brighter light then what it deserves, unfortunately. But I hope your right
We alredy knew there'd be dlc when piranha plant was announced. It did nothing to stop so many people from being super upset about them. But yes i think a lot of people come around. In fact i think it'll be way less bad than the grinch leak fiasco by a long shot. That doesn't mean it's everyone, there's still people who hold onto it. But the majority wont, and I'm confidant about that. I think it depends where you look, and of course when youre pessimitisc it tends to build up the worst in your mind, and it can look like things are worse than they are. (and it's true in the other way for the optimistic side).

I dont think it's worth being worried about in any case since it'll be what it'll be and we just have to see what happens ;)

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I mean.. its is rather spot on

Mod Edit: It's good, but also has a censored word in it. Please fix that before uploading.

Then please delete this post because I don´t know what word your talking about

Last edited:
Top Bottom