• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Welp time to see what these 30 mins of nindies have, hopefully not 30 mins of boredoom.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Cuphead coming to Switch is super cool.

I heard great things about NeoCab, I'm looking forward to trying it.

I missed the name of it but that top-down horror game looks right up my alley, will look it up and edit this post with the name. Edit: It's called Darkwood.

RAD seems rad, Double Fine are cool people.

Vlambeer games are extremely fun, I'm SUPER pumped that Nuclear Throne comes out today! I loved it on my phone and I'm gonna love it even more on my Switch. Hopefully we get Ridiculous Fishing someday, too.

I love the Blaster Master games and I'm pumped for Blaster Master Zero 2 (insert Kirby 64 joke)

That game about the Iditarod looks nice (edit: It's called The Red Lantern). Some of my favorite games come from the heart.

Cadence of Hyrule is not something I ever expected but wow it looks hype, nice choice of Link's Awakening music too!

Pretty cool Direct, I'd say.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Blaster Master 02 and the weird zelda thing game were the highlights for me, no joke. Also when they showed some logos of other indies like Night in the woods <3. Just so you know that Zelda thing at the end is NOT the other zelda game that leakers have been talking about. It's pretty possible that it's Zelda 2020 and it will be shown at E3. Kingzell has hyped it like twice already so I'm guessing they are saving it for E3.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Blaster Master 02 and the weird zelda thing game were the highlights for me, no joke. Also when they showed some logos of other indies like Night in the woods <3. Just so you know that Zelda thing at the end is NOT the other zelda game that leakers have been talking about. It's pretty possible that it's Zelda 2020 and it will be shown at E3. Kingzell has hyped it like twice already so I'm guessing they are saving it for E3.
And Blaster Master releases today :O

Definitely a better stream than i expected, even if 5 minutes short :p

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
SO I'm guessing from the reception that the Nindies showcase was underwhelming?

Duuuude you gotta check out Detention, it's a sidescrolling survival horror game set in Taiwan that has you exploring a haunted school. It's unique and like nothing else I've played.

Edit: it's on Switch and PS4 as well as Steam.
I looked into it a little bit, it's giving me Siren/Silent Hill vibes

ZelDan

Smash Master
hmmm, I didn't really like Blaster Master Zero, and I found Crypt of the Necrodancer more frustating than fun so the direct probably didn't wow as much for me.

I'm just more amazed at how Zelda got handed over to an indie studio. Cuphead being on Switch only further shows how buddy buddy Microsoft and Nintendo are becoming.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Just briefly looked into the Nindies. The last one with the LoZ is definitely the one that caught my eye. The indie games also seem to be more ambitious this time around.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's a question, what if this indie zelda title is the 2d zelda that verge heard about (the non-remake)?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
CUPHEAD FOR SWITCH, YESSSSSS

Well, this is the Microsoft/Indie rep that I've been waiting for. Cuphead for Smash

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Here's a question, what if this indie zelda title is the 2d zelda that verge heard about (the non-remake)?
It was revealed that the game is part of the Necrodancer universe, not the Zelda canon. So it would be pretty ironic if that turned out to be true.

Also, regarding Cuphead, after Sakurai praised personally Persona 5 and resulting in Joker's inclusion, I wonder if this will be the case with Cuphead.
https://mobile.twitter.com/allsourcegaming/status/923408397336064000?lang=en

Also coming here to drop this kino piece of content

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Man, I have missed so many pages here. Good to be back.

It was revealed that the game is part of the Necrodancer universe, not the Zelda canon. So it would be pretty ironic if that turned out to be true.

Also, regarding Cuphead, after Sakurai praised personally Persona 5 and resulting in Joker's inclusion, I wonder if this will be the case with Cuphead.

Hm, I just learned of Cuphead on the Switch today, and I would find it interesting to see him become the first indie rep. Chances are this is really only just Sakurai liking it a lot, but only time will tell.

Nice art, too.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I honestly doubt Cuphead would make it, at least not this time, but I would definitely not be opposed to him, especially if he comes with a Mugman alt. That'd be seriously awesome.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I honestly doubt Cuphead would make it, at least not this time, but I would definitely not be opposed to him, especially if he comes with a Mugman alt. That'd be seriously awesome.
Yeah, I doubt Cupphead would come before Banjo, Steve or Master Chief

That's some gorgeous art

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman

Imagine if, out of all the blurry-ass "leaks" that show up, that German eShop one turns out to be real.
Speaking of cuphead, MMicrosoft and Smash, https://www.resetera.com/threads/sw...sting-rules-in-op.90045/page-49#post-18993369

There's quite a bit of word about Halo coming to the Switch.
Halo is cool and all, but did Zell just say something about Uncharted on Switch??

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Microsoft is the only company I am honestly split on who I want in. Master Chief, Banjo, and Cuphead are all so enticing. Cuphead with hand drawn 2D design would be amazing. Banjo would be a blast from the past and Master Chief is 1000% badass. Only one I don't want is Steve (we're gonna get Steve).

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If it's master chief, it definitely has to be revealed alongside the halo games for Switch, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. If he doesn't, I'm gonna say Banjo is definitely gonna be the microsfot one, which would make me and the majority of Nintendo fans the happiest anyway.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Master Chief reveal would be perfect for E3. honestly he's the only character from Microsoft I would want (never played Banjo, ew Steve, Cuphead's cool but also very recent and would be a weird addition for this reason, for him to get added over any other big name that has come to the Switch/Nintendo)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If it's not Banjo, then please let it be Master Chief
Why not Steve? Well...while I have to meet good Minecraft fan, I have met more bad ones >.<

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think people forget that while Cuphead had an exclusivity contract, the IP is not owned by Microsoft. Calling Cuphead a Microsoft rep is like calling Prof. Layton first party.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I only played Banjo in my 20s and am not big on the game, but like, come on, if you get Microsoft on board it has to be them. They were actual Nintendo mascots for a while. You can't just get this close and pick another game who has no history with Nintendo at all. (Even if Joker pushed that limit, Atlus is still a company with far more presence on Nintendo consoles.)

I mean, I know the D word is almost a slur on this forum, but sometimes it bothers me a bit that the only factor many take in consideration is wether they played the game or not, which is a bit shallow.

D

Deleted member

I only played Banjo in my 20s and am not big on the game, but like, come on, if you get Microsoft on board it has to be them. They were actual Nintendo mascots for a while. You can't just get this close and pick another game who has no history with Nintendo at all. (Even if Joker pushed that limit, Atlus is still a company with far more presence on Nintendo consoles.)

I mean, I know the D word is almost a slur on this forum, but sometimes it bothers me a bit that the only factor many take in consideration is wether they played the game or not, which is a bit shallow.
I wont comment on Banjo as this is not the place to discuss a MS rep.

But I disagree on the notion of wanting a character if I havent played their game, as I have no attachment whatsoever, I might dislike the character, and Im not interested in belonging to a fanbase just to belong (although if Im interested in a particular game I will try it and maybe support afterwards). Dont get me wrong, Im not against characters that I dont know and, if they end up in smash, Im happy as long as they are interesting and look fun to play. Maybe it will make me interested in their franchise.

I could make any arguments regarding how x franchise is deserving or not, but at the end of the day most of the characters have different merits for getting in that make them deserving. For me the only argument that should be made for inclusion is liking the character, as otherwise selection and picks would be limited as hell.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah, I doubt Cupphead would come before Banjo, Steve or Master Chief
Cuphead isn't a MS rep necessarily. He is more of an indie that got a ton of help from Microsoft.
Its aesthetic is full Nintendo, though.

Master Chief reveal would be perfect for E3. honestly he's the only character from Microsoft I would want (never played Banjo, ew Steve, Cuphead's cool but also very recent and would be a weird addition for this reason, for him to get added over any other big name that has come to the Switch/Nintendo)
Being too recent is a meaningless argument at this point, given Corrin in Smash 4, Roy in Melee and now Joker in Ultimate.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It was a pretty good nindy showcase.

Personally, I’m excited for Blaster Master Zero 2, Katana Zero, Swim sanity, creature of the well, my friend Pedro And Necro Dancer, not to mention I had an obsession with Castle Crashers Remastered which unfortunately wasn’t shown (but got a trailer last night) but I’m getting as soon as it’s out.

Cuphead in smash would be neat, but there’s no way Nintendo thought that far ahead and before their own properties. Don’t get me wrong, I rather have full 3rd parties for DLC, but Cuphead isn’t happening. Not sure if he’s 100% Microsoft but he’d be my 2nd choice for a MS rep.

First would be Battletoads, who I feel was much of a bigger deal when they came out than Banjo in its heyday.
But all 3 of these unfortunately don’t hold a candle to Minecraft’s success and recognition.

Should have put up a warning about unpopular opinions. :p

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Cuphead isn't a MS rep necessarily. He is more of an indie that got a ton of help from Microsoft.
Its aesthetic is full Nintendo, though.
Cuphead was a microsoft exclusive though which why people are calling it a potential microsoft rep. I mean, Nintendo even says
"and our friends over at microsoft". If Microsoft didn't have say in things about that tittle we would have got it on Switch and PS4 from the begining

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Cuphead was a microsoft exclusive though which why people are calling it a potential microsoft rep. I mean, Nintendo even says
"and our friends over at microsoft". If Microsoft didn't have say in things about that tittle we would have got it on Switch and PS4 from the begining
Microsoft made an exclusivity contract with the Cuphead devs, but that's no different from other exclusivity deals (off the top of my head, Microsoft with PUBG, Sony with Persona 5, Nier Automata and the Quantic Dream games, Nintendo with Zombi U). While Microsoft did allow (and probably pushed for) an exception of the contract, it's still StudioMDHR who make the calls.

Since the exclusivity deal is probably for Cuphead the game and not Cuphead the intellectual property, if Nintendo wanted to get Cuphead in Smash they wouldn't even have to deal with Microsoft.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Top tier kino content for today.
FFIX might have been a big success on Nintendo's console after all, btw

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cuphead for Switch is definitely the highlight for me. It always baffled me how it wasn't on the console yet because the only other console it was on was XBox One.

Plus wow. I was not expecting Microsoft content to come to the Switch this early. Things are getting real now.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Cuphead for Switch is definitely the highlight for me. It always baffled me how it wasn't on the console yet because the only other console it was on was XBox One.

Plus wow. I was not expecting Microsoft content to come to the Switch this early. Things are getting real now.
I wouldn't say things are getting real now. I'd say things are getting FREAKING REAL now.

For better or for worse, I'm strapped the heck in. Let's go.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say things are getting real now. I'd say things are getting FREAKING REAL now.

For better or for worse, I'm strapped the heck in. Let's go.
Remember back in Brawl when we were questioning whether Sonic could get into Smash? Times have changed and I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Remember back in Brawl when we were questioning whether Sonic could get into Smash? Times have changed and I love it.
My god, the day Sonic dropped floored me. I thought that there was no way in the world he'd ever make it to Smash, but then, there he was, plain as day. I'd still main him if it wasn't for the fact that 1) Mewtwo came back and 2) K. Rool was added against all odds.

Anything can happen when it comes to Smash. Even the things I end up doubting come true somehow. (Except Geno, he is never getting in lol. That includes a returning Mii outfit. Thanks Square.) The fact that I even have any hope for Banjo right now is just... astounding. The fact that we're even considering Microsoft reps is INSANE. Look at how much Smash as evolved, holy moly. It's amazing.

D

Deleted member

Well with this news drought I'll pop in and say Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon is super fun, if any of you are on the fence on it I say go for it

Top Bottom