• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Well, I've been off Planet Earth this whole week, so who knows? :4pacman:
But YT could have gone nuts again. But I'm at least grateful for it. I didn't touch MGS2 for so many years, it's awesome to see this again, specially these days.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, I've been off Planet Earth this whole week, so who knows? :4pacman:
But YT could have gone nuts again. But I'm at least grateful for it. I didn't touch MGS2 for so many years, it's awesome to see this again, specially these days.
Looking back on MGS2, it's interesting to see how it was criticized for so many things that are now pretty commonplace nowadays, specifically being meta.

D

Deleted member

Seeing that we are talking about Metal Gear, maybe I could finally explain my stance on Metal Gear Rising:

The game is visually cool, plays great and has a fantastic OST... but everytime I watch the cutscenes or anything involving the plot I can’t do anything but prevent myself from laughing.

It is basically a great game with an hilarious plot.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Seeing that we are talking about Metal Gear, maybe I could finally explain my stance on Metal Gear Rising:

The game is visually cool, plays great and has a fantastic OST... but everytime I watch the cutscenes or anything involving the plot I can’t do anything but prevent myself from laughing.

I don't think I've ever seen such a prophetic meme game in my life.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I know, I know.. it's not S-E, but this is basically the group of people I mainly engage in SB, so I might as well send it here.
Given the news over the past few days, I came across this video (2 parts) that brought back into view one of the greatest endings in entertainment history.
I wanted to share with you all to take a look.

And I'm reminded, yet again, why, even though MGS is weird to some to be in SSB with Nintendo characters, this series has accomplished some things that no other series did in the same manner, and is written in a classical tone. Given Nintendo is, in my view, the one of the few beacons of classicism in modern-day culture, I think it's cool from them to promote classicism made by others in the industry. And SSB is a celebration of exactly that.

Aannnnnd I didn't expect to make it this long, but I guess it's just me being chill that my final exams are finally over. XP
I see Metal Gear and I get super happy. Also lucky about exams, I'm pretty sure I failed my mid-term LOOOL

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

NANOMACHINES, SON

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

It's like it took everything about the Metal Gear series, cranked it up to eleven, put it in a blender and then injected it with a ton of nanomachines and self awareness. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
so we are officially two weeks from March being over, we will soon see 3.0 and Joker and hopefully the next reveal along with them. Hopefully this will be finally over.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
so we are officially two weeks from March being over, we will soon see 3.0 and Joker and hopefully the next reveal along with them. Hopefully this will be finally over.
I feel like Joker has been the longest waited character ever now! We've known about him for like what, almost 4 months now AND still no actual sign of a gameplay trailer. The only wait for a character I can remember being this long for was for Cloud, but even he had some actual gameplay shown off when he got revealed. I know it takes time to develop a character, but this slowness is getting ridiculous. This drought may be even longer than Roy and Ryu's reveal to when we even got Cloud!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I feel like Joker has been the longest waited character ever now! We've known about him for like what, almost 4 months now AND still no actual sign of a gameplay trailer. The only wait for a character I can remember being this long for was for Cloud, but even he had some actual gameplay shown off when he got revealed. I know it takes time to develop a character, but this slowness is getting ridiculous. This drought may be even longer than Roy and Ryu's reveal to when we even got Cloud!
I seriously hope they don't do this with the remaining 4 DLC characters, geez…

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's honestly making me wonder if they're trying to do some other stuff behind the scenes. This kind of wait is a little silly, especially if we're supposed to get five characters by February...

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Like, Joker is understandable to start selling the season pass by simple and pure shock value, but they gotta show more of the remaining characters if they pretend to keep people buying the season pass and not the characters individually, lol. Unless they don't care that people totally stop opting for the season pass option and somehow all of the characters are huge shock values that ppl won't care how their gameplay is.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Personally I think they didn't intend to reveal Joker before release, and only did so after the reaction to the last Direct.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Personally I think they didn't intend to reveal Joker before release, and only did so after the reaction to the last Direct.
It could also be taking long (at least for gameplay and stuff) because of something atlus doesnt want them to reveal yet.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It could also be taking long (at least for gameplay and stuff) because of something atlus doesnt want them to reveal yet.
That could be it, but if that was always meant to be the case it's still weird that Joker was revealed so early.

D

Deleted member

Yeah wasn't there some talk among insiders about Joker being revealed at the game awards being a last minute decision? That would certainly make sense if that were the case.
And, it makes me wonder if we could see Joker being released alongside the second character simultaneously.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That could be it, but if that was always meant to be the case it's still weird that Joker was revealed so early.
Maybe to stir up hype for the x-mas season ?

So long as a character releases every 2-3 months things can stay on schedule. It technically started in feb, and april is going to be the 3rd month from there, so it's still ok.
Tho obviously it's still somewhat of a long wait XD

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah wasn't there some talk among insiders about Joker being revealed at the game awards being a last minute decision? That would certainly make sense if that were the case.
And, it makes me wonder if we could see Joker being released alongside the second character simultaneously.
It's a bit odd, though. How last minute are insiders talking here? After all, an animation like that with the voice actors involved isn't something that can be shoehorned in last minute. Animation takes laborious time.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's a bit odd, though. How last minute are insiders talking here? After all, an animation like that with the voice actors involved isn't something that can be shoehorned in last minute. Animation takes laborious time.
Japan's pretty good with animation. But yeah it still should've taken at least a few days to ready everything, not to mention the voice actors and all.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Japan's pretty good with animation. But yeah it still should've taken at least a few days to ready everything, not to mention the voice actors and all.
Given the process of getting the footage proper to Nintendo from Japan and recruiting the English voice acting cast, contracting them for the work, etc., I'd frankly place the best amount of time they'd worked on it at about two weeks. I've seen people speculate that it likely took about a month, and... yeah, honestly, I could see it more like that myself.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Given the process of getting the footage proper to Nintendo from Japan and recruiting the English voice acting cast, contracting them for the work, etc., I'd frankly place the best amount of time they'd worked on it at about two weeks. I've seen people speculate that it likely took about a month, and... yeah, honestly, I could see it more like that myself.
Two weeks is reasonable. If they rushed a little i could see it within a week. More likely between 1-2 weeks tho, imo.
So yeah, definitely not minutes before :p

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
If the DLC really is all or mostly third parties, I can't imagine the nightmare of so many companies all trying to shuffle things around behind the scenes for ideal promotional timing. Who knows how much control anybody has once pen's been put to paper, but things could get really complicated in a hurry, especially if chronic bumblers like Square Enix are involved. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd already been some behind-the-scenes shakeups.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe to stir up hype for the x-mas season ?

So long as a character releases every 2-3 months things can stay on schedule. It technically started in feb, and april is going to be the 3rd month from there, so it's still ok.
Tho obviously it's still somewhat of a long wait XD
That's the thing. I wonder if Nintendo was expecting the last announcements to be way better received, then either panicked or saw less preorders than they were projecting, and revealed Joker to do the job Piranha Plant couldn't.

If that's the case, it's on Nintendo for having faulty expectations. I still don't understand how they felt Piranha Plant was an appropriate bonus to incentivize early sales.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's the thing. I wonder if Nintendo was expecting the last announcements to be way better received, then either panicked or saw less preorders than they were projecting, and revealed Joker to do the job Piranha Plant couldn't.

If that's the case, it's on Nintendo for having faulty expectations. I still don't understand how they felt Piranha Plant was an appropriate bonus to incentivize early sales.
I mean, I personally love Plant, but... yeah, I don't see why anyone would be rushing out to preorder Smash or buy it early to get it. A more powerful first party probably would have done the job better. Heck, look at Mewtwo for Sm4sh. He did the job well by being highly requested by fans AND being a very popular character for casuals. He stirred the hype and marketed the game very well.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Maybe that animation was initially intended to be shown with a gameplay trailer after, and they had the animation made earlier, but then decided to say screw it and show the animation much earlier without a ready gameplay trailer?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe that animation was initially intended to be shown with a gameplay trailer after, and they had the animation made earlier, but then decided to say screw it and show the animation much earlier without a ready gameplay trailer?
Personally, I think the animation was tailor-made for the Game Awards. Even without the references that could have been redubbed, the idea of keeping the fact that it's a Smash trailer a secret for as long as possible, to me indicates that it was never meant to be on a Nintendo Direct. No matter what, if a nondescript trailer shows up during a Nintendo Direct during Smash season, people will automatically assume Smash trailer, so there's no point in keeping suspense.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I feel like this is just done on purpose, so that Sakurai just suddenly reveals two more characters. I can't really think of anything else to justify the wait.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel like this is just done on purpose, so that Sakurai just suddenly reveals two more characters. I can't really think of anything else to justify the wait.
When do you think this will happen? Because honestly, I think the only venue we can get two characters revealed is E3, but I'd expect us to know character #2 by the end of April.

Polan

Smash Lord

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
As somoene who played and adored P5 recently, i think some of yall are hugely overestimating Persona's popularity.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As somoene who played and adored P5 recently, i think some of yall are hugely overestimating Persona's popularity.
Well it's popular enough so that Atlus has shifted the majority of its marketing and focus to Persona 5 content and is on the main-stage for their whole SEGA event going on in 2 weeks.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Well it's popular enough so that Atlus has shifted the majority of its marketing and focus to Persona 5 content and is on the main-stage for their whole SEGA event going on in 2 weeks.
Exactly. While Persona was already popular in the JRPG community, P5 was the push into the mainstream.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Exactly. While Persona was already popular in the JRPG community, P5 was the push into the mainstream.
Ehh, I'd argue that Persona 4 was its first push into the mainstream. I remember that game being all over the place and being so huge that many people wouldn't stop talking about it. (Myself included, haha...) That being said, Persona 5 definitely helped it draw further out of its hole as a 'niche' JRPG.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Eh, I always felt that Nintendo wanted to push Joker onto the Game Awards because they needed/wanted something big to show there. Given that Metroid Prime 4 had to be delayed and restarted from scratch and was likely intended to be Nintendo's initial Game Awards spotlight, I think the reveal of Joker was probably their next best option at the time.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ehh, I'd argue that Persona 4 was its first push into the mainstream. I remember that game being all over the place and being so huge that many people wouldn't stop talking about it. (Myself included, haha...) That being said, Persona 5 definitely helped it draw further out of its hole as a 'niche' JRPG.
I love Persona 4 to bits but I see it as kind of like FF6. To me Persona 5 is the FF7 equivalent just like how Dragon Quest 3 is the FF7 of that franchise.

Untouch

Smash Master
Been thinking...
What if "Jack" isn't a codename?
The name "Jane" has been attached to Joker because of datamining, sparking rumours that P5R is going to let you pick a girl Joker too.
What if Jack is what the male Joker is going to be called?

There's also rumours that the only reason we haven't seen Joker gameplay is that they want to reveal that there's going to be two Jokers before the costumes go up on the site and spoil it.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Been thinking...
What if "Jack" isn't a codename?
The name "Jane" has been attached to Joker because of datamining, sparking rumours that P5R is going to let you pick a girl Joker too.
What if Jack is what the male Joker is going to be called?

There's also rumours that the only reason we haven't seen Joker gameplay is that they want to reveal that there's going to be two Jokers before the costumes go up on the site and spoil it.
Apart from Joker already having multiple civilian names, none of which are Jack, they wouldn't have announced the character with the name Joker at a big event if they weren't going to call him Joker.

Top Bottom